Chapter 44 – Betrayal
28 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Pant. Pant. Pant.

Regulate your breathing, Novus.

Whew.

Novus’ hand tightened around the Etched Villager’s Sword that had found its way into his hand mid-battle. After all, Novus' mana wasn't endless either.

The goblin throne room was in tatters as any previous decorations were destroyed either by Tham’s heavy staff or by the player’s calculated strikes going awry.

Slam!

Compared to earlier, Tham was slower. A missing ear, torn apart clothing, frayed muscles, cuts and signature puncture holes reminiscent of Cain’s spearhead were only some of the scars from Tham’s struggle. Yet, that annoyingly defensive marble-like colour was still present and shone in contrast against his rage-filled yellow eyes.

Novus surveyed the players and had to admit that they were in similarly dire straits. The players gripped damaged weapons and bloodshot eyes caused by Tham’s defensive skin and the debuff, Unrelenting Madness. However, Novus couldn’t help but admire the players.

Where did Cain find them?

Most had already died alongside Tham’s other two deadly skills: a charging strike that narrowly avoided Novus and a staff throwing ability that killed a large swath of players. Of those who had survived, Novus had no doubt they would grow to be powerhouses.

Little did Novus know; Cain had brought his topmost elites from his previous guild to the same beginner island as himself. This was all to tip the scales in his favour for dominating the quests and experiences on the island. However, Cain could never guess that a dark horse like Novus would appear and interfere with his pre-planned domination.

Meanwhile, Cain paid just as much attention to Novus’ party.

Adrianne’s elusive movements and reaction speed were enviable as she intercepted and crippled Tham at critical moments each time.

Unexpectedly, it was Percival who played an equally important role. If it weren’t for his sensitivity to the ambient mana, the group would have been wholly devasted without his early warning of Tham’s staff throwing ability.

But the person Cain paid the most to was naturally their leader, Novus. Particularly, Novus' mana control.

Magic abilities and skills were the fascinations of many players. After all, who didn't want to quake the ground with a step? Or, step into the sky and freely fly like a bird! Unfortunately, magic wasn’t readily available in this game and required a high level of luck and skill to obtain. At least, it was like that on the beginner islands.

But, after hours of hunting and a sudden insight, Cain had a lucky breakthrough that enabled a simple rotation spell for his spear that made him proud. He was confident that nobody besides that jerk Hercules could rival his potential. But, Novus overturned this idea completely.

Novus continued to skillfully control mana outside his body, a skill Cain could barely achieve right now, to create flashes that blinded Tham. Not to mention that brief display of flaming swords that nearly emptied Novus’ mana reserve.

And all it took was Novus crunching a few herbs between his teeth to refill his mana. Where on earth had he gotten herbs like that from? His guild hadn't found any herbs with those kinds of effects!

Slam!

Meanwhile, Novus dodged another of Tham's strikes and read Adrianne's Spirit Eyes update.

New message from Adrianne: Tham is about to go under 10% health.

Finally!

Novus’ gaze calmed after a short-lived moment of excitement, and he stared at the slamming Tham and evading Cain. During the battle, he had been putting together a rough plan of attack, and soon it would be time to initiate it.

Message to Percival & Adrianne: Don’t forget the plan.

“Grahh!”

Layers of dark pulses circled Tham’s body and forcefully pushed away the remaining players.

“The last phase!”

Cain’s hoarse voice echoed in the throne room but was soon overcome by Tham’s last-stand shout.

“THAM! WILL! NOT! DIE!”

SLAM!

The end of Tham’s staff bit into the ground as a purple mist emerged from the tip and snaked around Tham’s body. The purple mist thickened on Tham’s body as it veiled Tham’s transforming appearance.

“AGGghh.”

“Novus! We can’t let Tham get through this transformation!”

Percival whispered desperately, obviously intent on simply finishing the battle right here and now, but Novus calmly replied as Adrianne appeared near them.

“Death is the only option in that mist. Trust me.”

Novus’ calm mind pictured the expected results of the transformation and was met with disturbing accuracy as the mist faded from Tham's body.

“Niem.”

A figure covered in a dark metallic lustre arose. An additional meter taller, with muscles outstretched and snapped in some places, made the monster resemble a metallic zombie. At this point, not even Tham’s mother would recognize the current Tham, if he could even be called by name now.

“AHHHH!”

A high-pitched scream like metal screeching against each other rang out and caused chaos to ensue in Cain's group as they all covered their ears.

A shadow puppet. Mercury’s favourite.

Thankfully, the scream subsided as Novus relinquished the air barrier around the trio’s ears. Of course, that resulted in Percival and Adrianne stumbling, but less stumble compared to earlier.

In the end, only Novus stood still while Tham raised the ominous staff and unleashed a leap strike toward Cain’s considerably larger group. Novus looked in schadenfreude as Cain’s party dispersed like rats out of their messed-up formation.

SLAM!

If Tham’s strike made a light earthen indent before, then this one directly created gaps in the ground as the throne room walls shook unstably. The broad throne room didn’t seem wide enough anymore as Tham leaped to and from in animalistic attacks. The only reason Tham’s staff had yet to break was the odd purple veins extending from the staff’s tip.

“Time to finish this.”

“Vyir.”

Flash!

“GRAHH!”

Slam!

Tham reared his head from the flash while Novus slashed his swords against Tham’s reinforced skin. The result was the sound of metal shrieking against metal and Novus being pushed back a few steps as Tham swung around.

That’ll be tough to pierce through without a sharper weapon.

Novus glanced at the dulled edge on the Etched Villager’s Sword and frowned.

This sword will break before Tham falls at the rate the durability is going. Not to mention, against them.

Novus glanced at Cain, whose spear could barely pierce through Tham’s reinforced skin. Novus noticed that the spear looked in the same dire straits as his weapon. Then, Cain glanced and locked eyes with Novus. A message came not a moment later.

Message from Cain: Secret weapon time!

Novus nodded but secretly sent a message to his own party.

Message to Percival & Adrianne: Attack when I give the signal.

The throbbing sensation of overused mana vessels made Novus’ teeth clench, but he progressed anyways as a crimson halo snaked from his back to his sword. The crimson halo shrunk down as it inlaid upon the base of the blade and rotated. Soon, sparks formed flames as the etchings on the sword began to glow and gently burn away as fuel. Novus had successfully used Overburn on his now-empowered sword.

Seeing Novus activating some secret technique, Cain revealed a knowing smirk as he prompted the system.

“Equip Blood Mask.”

Particle-by-particle, long whiskers adorned an incredibly fierce Blood Raccoon-styled mask. Cain’s deep hazel eyes were shrouded as a red glow took over the eyes that signalled its only ability, Enrage.

Dash!

Novus and Cain set off simultaneously as they dodged and weaved between Tham’s dangerous slamming attacks like sand falling between fingers. Singing slashes and powered-up stabs peppered Tham’s reinforced body and mowed away at his low health.

“AHHH!”

Tham’s attacks attempted to transition to long, arcing swings as the originally bursting strength behind them also began to fade. The previously intelligent strikes were gone, and pure power was all that remained. Soon after, the background players began their assault as Adrianne, Percival and Cain’s remaining elite players landed minor, distracting blows.

Slam.

Like an arrow at the end of its flight, Tham’s blows slowed enough for the force to be withstandable. Further, judging by the pure amount of wounds that weren't regenerating nearly as fast as before, Tham was near the end of his battling struggle like a candle slowly burning the last of its wick.

“Vyir.”

Novus’ finger snapped twice, and the rest of Novus' party moved in unison.

Flash!

However, the flash didn’t erupt before Tham as it briefly blinded Cain’s elite players.

Slash! Slash!

Two elite players in cloth armour and holding bows were immediately killed as a system message alerted all the players.

The player Novus has left the party.
The player Adrianne has left the party.
The player Percival has left the party.

 

Meanwhile, Novus dodged one of Tham’s last-ditch strikes and swung his sword towards their defenceless throat.

Ting!

Unfortunately, a decisive blow shook the sword from its trajectory.

“Betrayal!? I'm shocked! Why would you go and do that, sunshine?”

Cain's eyes shone with a strange mix of joy, anger and eagerness as he batted Novus' sword away. Just then, a nearby cry caused Cain to glance sideways.

“Ack!”

Adrianne's pair of swords protruded from the only remaining healer-type player in the vicinity as Cain’s remaining elite players attempted to swarm Percival and her. Unfortunately for Cain, there was a more noteworthy nuisance.

Shing!

The Etched Villager’s Sword created flaming sparks as it clashed against the horned spear and an equally grating voice battled against Cain’s earlier sentiment between blows.

“Get f*cked.”

1