Chapter 63 – Luck Comes in Pairs
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The space felt serene, despite the ominous blood-red hue that seemed to be present everywhere I looked. That wasn't the only thing that was here, though.

I could clearly feel that I wasn’t the only one here, just like last time. Again, there was a light, but it didn’t drift this time. Instead, it looped around in a circle and spiralled down to where I laid.

It didn’t flutter around but spun around me as if climbing a tower.

Up and down, over and over. An endless loop that continued for eternity but never accomplished what it was meant to do.

Suddenly, another young boy's voice rang out.

“Will you accept who I am?”

I will accept who you are.

“Will you confront and suffer with us?”

I will confront and suffer with you.

“Will you confront and suffer with our enemies?”

This time the answer wasn’t immediate. I hesitated. Perhaps, that was simply my nature, which I wouldn't change.

I will try to confront and suffer with our enemies.

The light paused about the same length of time I did to answer.

Slowly accepting my answers, it twirled past my hand and landed on my heart.

A warming tickle like strong alcohol burned inside me and receded alongside a low sound.

Hiss.

The oddly soothing sound seeped into my being and pulled me away from this place. Then, slowly, even that feeling disappeared.

 


 

Ding!

Novus’ eyes blurred the surroundings with tears that fought against the dirt particles entering his eyes. Inside his head was the galloping of ten thousand horses, which didn’t alleviate for quite some time.

Novus’ vision blackened for a moment when he hurriedly raised his head to sense any nearby threat. Thankfully, Lou’s previous presence must have deterred all nearby predators.

Novus braced for a moment with his eyes shut before slowly opening them.

Congratulations! You have gained a new Soul Partner, and new options for Soul Partner Channelling and Soul Partner Summoning have become available.
The system has not detected a name for the organism Winged Python. Would you like to name it?

 

With his back pressed against the boulder, Novus casually accepted the chance to name while trying to stand. No other windows appeared, leaving Novus thinking of the name that surfaced amidst the charging horses beginning to still inside his head.

“Aeon.”

You have given the name ‘Aeon’ to the organism Winged Python.

A familiar twinkling light left the system message and floated into the tattoo on Novus’ covered chest.

Novus felt the slight soul fluctuation in his soul space and calmness soon after.

Congratulations! Due to bonding with the creature Winged Python, Aeon, attributes have increased.

Had Novus uncovered his chest armour and looked in a mirror, he would have seen the bright blue tattoo of a coiled python with curved wings adorned on his chest. Its design was equally ornamental to the black beetle tattoo at the crown of Novus’ head, though this tattoo had a python as its main feature.

Sluggish from the wavering headache but excited nonetheless, Novus attempted to use Soul Partner Channelling with his new Soul Partner. However…

The Soul Partner Winged Python, Aeon rejects the use of its powers.

…It didn’t go very well. As expected of a newborn, the only response sent from the soul link with Aeon was an instinctual hunger. Novus’ brows twitched as he tried something else.

Aeon has rejected your summoning attempt.

Even the system quickly realized how often this might happen and shortened its message.

Meanwhile, Novus shut his eyes and sensed the soul link to Aeon. Soon, Novus felt his consciousness drifting away. When Novus reopened his eyes, he saw a home built exclusively for the gently sunbathing python perched on a boulder. Around the boulder were embedded branches that lined the exitless cave. The air was uncomfortably warm and moist for Novus, much like a summer’s day in Avalan, even though the sunlit hole at the top was like Mino’s comparably dry cave.

Are the soul spaces separate? I can’t see Mino anywhere.

Novus refocused on the lazy Aeon, and Aeon turned to observe the person who had appeared in its den. The light glinted from Aeon’s cobalt-blue scales, but the crimson patterns adorning Aeon’s lithe body were what drew Novus’ attention. Aeon’s equally crimson tongue flickered as it lightly blinked at Novus with its pure white eyes.

After a very brief staring contest, Aeon ignored Novus and continued sunbathing in the comfort of the soul space.

Novus’ brows twitched. Seeing the python lazing around the boulder seemed to rub Novus the wrong way.

I saved you from dying, you know! The least I could get is a greeting!

The stark contrast between Mino’s excitement and Aeon’s distant curiosity caused an odd feeling to bloom in Novus.

“Aeon!”

Aeon looked at Novus again and spoke directly through the soul link.

Hungry.

It was a light-sounding voice, untainted by experience. The inherent innocence paused Novus' mounting frustration. With a squinting face, Novus approached Aeon.

“If I get you food, can I use some of your powers?”

Aeon slithered towards Novus without another soul-link message and coiled up his arm. Its movements were slow but without hesitation as it reached near Novus’ neck.

Food.

Novus’ thoughts were dashed as Aeon bit into his soul body and greedily sucked it dry of energy.

Tasty.

Novus’ fingers formed claws as he latched onto Aeon’s mouth and ripped out any embedded fangs. Novus’ frustration nearly blossomed into a rage as it felt like the python was provoking him with each step.

Pain! Pain!

Novus released his grip while Aeon shot away and hid underneath the previously perched boulder.

Hiss! Hiss!!

Novus wasn’t welcome anymore, and a subtle pressure began forcing him outside the den.

Sigh.

Novus paused. He could remain here with a bit of will, but ultimately, he lowered his ambitions. With a thought, Novus’ consciousness left Aeon’s soul space, and he found himself back in the snake ravine with a guilty look. But then, Novus noticed a subtle drain of mana from his neck.

Aeon feeds on mana, huh? So one glutton feeds on anything, and the other feeds on mana that’s in pretty much everything.

Suddenly, Novus chuckled to himself.

With a palm against the ground, Novus leapt to his feet. By now, he had recovered from the temporary weakness after the system-initiated Soul Predator ritual and was ready to resume his trek.

Dirt encrusted the bottom of Novus’ boots as he raced to the next step of the mountain journey: The Slime Caverns.

 


 

Slime Colossus is currently unavailable. Expected time until respawn: 05:16:23

Unfortunate. The Slime Colossus would've been a good testing battle.

Potentially now, with the system having shifted around things behind the scenes, items would drop for him like the other players! Thinking of the past, Novus couldn't help but think of the missed looting opportunities.

Unlucky loot system…

Novus closed the system message and surveyed the area. For the most part, things hadn't changed.

Ridiculous water-type wreath crystal? Check.

Old slime goo? Check.

Battle marks? Surprisingly gone. Novus would have to think about the why later.

A stone... what?

In some parts of the cavern were spots of rough stone. Of course, there were stones everywhere in a cave, but these stones looked nothing like the others.

They were stones carved exactly like plants, fungi and, in one area, a stone slime statue. Atop this slime statue was a rare creature that shouldn’t have been here.

But there it is, in all its glory—a Lacuna Butterfly.

The silver butterfly's fluttering wings released silver dust that set the nearby plants to stone.

Multiple voices sang out from Novus’ soul space.

Pew!

Hungry.

Catch it!

The last one was foreign, yet; it also seemed familiar. Novus had heard it while killing Cain in the forest and when Lou sneak attacked him in the snake ravine.

Novus quickly tried to trace the voice’s origin, but something disrupted his attempts, like a hand was guiding Novus’ inner senses away.

Novus’ brows creased. He didn’t like the lack of control over his own soul space. But despite numerous tries, Novus had no further luck. So, Novus could only question aloud.

“Who are you? Why should I catch anything?”

Even after waiting, Novus heard no reply. Instead, the Lacuna Butterfly was readying its wings for flight. Novus paused for only a moment before rushing into action.

Novus grabbed a portion of his remaining Candy Spider Silk and threw it at the Lacuna Butterfly. The Candy Spider Silk didn’t stick well, it worked best with more moisture, but the water-type wreath crystal made it possible to halt the Lacuna Butterfly’s flight for a moment.

Novus' soul link with Mino activated, and Mino’s powers appeared in Novus’ hands. Mino’s Absorption skill was in one hand, and the Regeneration skill in the other.

Novus’ hands gathered around the Lacuna Butterfly just as the Candy Spider Silk began to turn to harmless stone flakes. However, the period of stasis between flaking off the stone silk and Novus’ approach resulted in the Lacuna Butterfly’s trapped fate.

Novus’ hands pulsated with a glow as Mino’s powers wrapped around the smaller butterfly like two orbs merging into one. In the center, the Lacuna Butterfly fluttered around as parts of the sphere attempted to turn to stone. However, the constant absorption and regeneration of the combined sphere left the Lacuna Butterfly out of fleeing options.

The glow of Mino’s powers circulated, replenishing Novus' mana with each passing moment and leaving Novus the time to deal with the foreign voice.

“All right. Show yourself.”

“How unfortunate. I’ll have to let this butterfly go.”

Suddenly, a distraught yell sounded out in his mind.

NO!

Novus grinned.

“Hello, foreign voice. If you want this butterfly, you’ll have to come out.”

Novus’ hands swayed as the sphere nearly let go of the Lacuna Butterfly.

Fine!

The strange voice wavered.

But, you’ll have to eat the butterfly.

“Oh? This took a weird direction.”

Th—This isn’t weird! Just do it!

Novus’ eyes rolled as he layered Mino’s powers along his throat. Finally, Novus' lips let out a soft smacking sound, followed by a deep swallow and a few message boxes.

You have eaten a Lacuna Butterfly and gained the debuff Lacuna Sealing.
A foreign power within you has counteracted the sealing power of the Lacuna Butterfly, and the debuff Lacuna Sealing has been disabled.

A flush of heat threatened to steam out of Novus’ ears and caused him to cough like a heavy smoker as it intensified.

Novus blinked his eyes, which briefly flashed with an azure colour, and more message boxes appeared.

You have unlocked the seal of Lesser Kitsune, Favur.
The soul of Lesser Kitsune, Favur wishes to initiate a Soul Partnership with you.
Note: Due to the nature of Favur’s soul, should you reject this Soul Partnership, Favur’s soul will permanently dissipate.
Accept / Reject

Easy. No.

Despite Novus’ head wavering on fever temperatures, he still thought with a cold calmness. To him, this seemed like more trouble. He already had enough...

A voice echoed out in protest at the speed of a million miles per hour.

No, please. Please. Please! Please! Don’t do this! I want to live! Please! Don’t do this!

The voice's speed increased as Novus’ finger approached the rejection message box.

Pause.

Novus’ finger stopped as the foreign voice yelled out something interesting.

I beg you! I’ll do anything!

A smile resembling Cain’s eerie smile crept on Novus’ face.

“Anything...?”

The strange voice didn’t seem to register the hidden intent behind the reply, and a relieved plea came out next.

Yes! I’ll do anything. Please, let me live!

Novus seemed content with the answer as he shifted his finger over slightly to the accept button.

“Correct answer, Favur.”

With the slight press of the accept button, Novus felt the heat inside his head forcefully explode his consciousness away.

0