C16 – The Merchant and Old Noah
1.5k 2 65
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day, Davron woke up from his restful sleep and started straight ahead to think about the new information he got yesterday.

He knew now, what’s the possible cause of Luna’s bad health. It was the black particles, which were all over her body.

An hour passed and Davron was still thinking about ways to solve this dilemma. Finding medicine? No, he had absolutely no idea about herbs and could even harm her with wrong ones! Researching about the black stuff? Still a no, there was no library or a scholar in the village and even Ellena had no idea, when he had asked her.

‘Hmm, what’s still left over? The church! They refused us, without even trying out any spell! I bet I could grasp their spells with AIS if I memorize all the runes, and the rest will come by trying out!’ Davron came up with an interesting idea. Could he learn the spells of other’s through AIS? This ability was already a big help for Davron, and now it’s going to be put to the test like never before!

Davron was still lying in his bed. All this time, he didn’t even get dressed. He stood up from the bed and went to the only cupboard in this room. In the first drawer was his whole wardrobe and in the remaining three was Ellena’s stuff.

With systematic movement, the first drawer was opened by Davron. He took out his only pair of brown fabric pants and his usual tunic.

After he changed his clothes, Davron went out of his bedroom.

“Good morning, Dav!”[Ellena]

Ellena was sitting in the living room. She greeted Davron, as he came out of their bedroom. Ellena was often the one, who wakes up earlier.

“Good morning, ma. Where are the girls?”[Davron]

“Ah, they are still sleeping. If your quiet enough, you could even hear them snore Fufufu”[Ellena]

Davron went to his bow and knife and picked them up. This didn’t went unnoticed by Ellena.

“Hmm, are you going hunting?”[Ellena]

“Nah, I’m going to the village center to see what’s new. Maybe I will even find something tasty for the girls.. oh and for my beautiful mother Haha”[Davron]

“Fufu, you're such a charmer.. don’t stop Haha”[Ellena]

Both were laughing.

He said goodbye to his mother and went out of the house.

With fast steps and the wind pushing him forward, Davron went through the village center.

Suddenly, Davron remembered, he wanted to bring something for his family. Davron changed his route to the place where often the traveling merchants resided.

Traveling merchants don’t arrive often to the Red Woods Village. The village was just too small and secluded. Even though, it was so close to the Red Woods no adventurers traveled to the village, as there were better alternatives and the iron rule was and had been: money follows adventurers. This meant the Red Woods Village had no appeal to merchants. However, a few traveling merchants still visited the village and when they did, you could find them at the same spot every time.

Once there, Davron moved his head, scanning his surroundings. There! An old grandpa was sitting on the ground, drinking tea, next to his donkey. Both the donkey and its owner had signs of age.

“Good day, sir!”[Davron]

The merchant, still drinking his tea, moved his head slowly to look at Davron. Wrinkles covered the face of the old man, who had only one functioning eye, as he was blind on the other eye.

“G’day, youngling. What could you want from this grandpa?”[old merchant]

As the merchant spoke to him, Davron felt naked in front of his gaze, as if the old man could see his innermost secrets and thoughts. However, something told Davron that the old man had no bad intentions towards him.

“Sir, do you perhaps have something sweet and tasty?”[Davron]

“Oh, sweet and tasty? Something for your beloved?”[old merchant]

“No, sir, it’s for someone even more important, for my mother and sisters”[Davron]

“Hohoho, what a good boy! Old Noah, do me a favor and come here please”[old merchant]

The donkey, whose name was apparently Noah, came to its owner and showed him his left side, where a small bag was hanging.

The old merchant moved his wrinkled hand to his bag. As his old hands came back out of the bag, a bundle followed. The bundle was laid down on the ground and with swift delicate moves opened, to present different things lying on top of a cloth.

“Ta-da! Look, maybe you can find something of interest”[old merchant]

“Mhm”[Davron]

Davron came nearer and bend down to look at the merchant’s products. In front of him were many different things, from combs to sweets.

He spend the next seconds looking for interesting items. In the end, Davron chose three yellow fruits. Those fruits were, according to the merchant, from a small village in the north of the Sidon Kingdom. They were supposedly a small delicacy in the northern border between the Sidon Kingdom and the Holy Kingdom Helior.

“Good choice. That would be 34 copper coins”[old merchant]

“Kinda, expensive..”[Davron]

“Hohoho, if you want to make your loved ones happy you can’t be stingy! However, never forget that keeping your loved wants happy doesn’t only take a big heart but also a lot of effort!

Old Noah and I have been traveling for a long time and of course we have also seen a lot of places and met all kinds of people. From the poor to the rich. From country-toppling beauties to arrogant young masters.

Through all my travels I have found out that the most important thing in life is having someone who you love and who loves you back. May it be your family or your wife. A lonely life is a torturous one. What is the meaning of wealth and happiness if you can’t share it with someone you love?

So work hard and never forget to treasure the ones who are always by your side, who won’t leave you even if the whole world leaves you!

Right Old Noah?”[old merchant]

“Hee-Haw”[Old Noah]

Davron was amazed by the old man’s words. They seemed to have deep and intrinsic meaning.

“…Thank you, sir.. I will keep your wisdom by my heart”[Davron]

After thanking the old man, Davron took 34 copper Gulden out of his bag and gave them to the merchant.

“Here”[Davron]

“Mhm”[old merchant]

Davron took the newly bought fruits and put them inside his small bag.

Before he went on, Davron said goodbye to the merchant.

With a lot in his mind, Davron started his way to the church.

65