Chapter 16
416 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Disclaimer: If you recognise it, surprise, I don't own it.

 

Chapter 16– Times Are Changing.

 


 

"D-Detoro-Kun, are you okay? That must have hurt. Let's go get you checked out by the nurse," Mummy Mee says after she leaves her state of shock at the actions of Marine Captain Nezumi, quickly running over to help me to my feet. She obviously thinks that I am still on the floor because of his weak kick, but his kick was way too soft to actually hurt me. All it could do was move me back.

 

And because my body was weary from the hardcore training I had been doing all day, his weak little kick managed to make me fall onto my hands and knees. And such exaggerated movements from my already battered body made me scream in pain from the sudden pressure placed on my already strained body.

 

"It is fine, Mummy Mee. Plus, I don't think you should help me like that. Captain Nezumi might not like it." So I say as I let her help me to my feet, needing the aid since my muscles burned and slightly spasmed. However, I refused her offer to take me to the nurse since she is employed and paid using the funds given by the World Government, and receiving aid from her would be going against the new rules enforced upon the orphanage by Nezumi.

 

Captain Nezumi is a weak man for definite, but he is still in a position of authority. An authority that can place this orphanage in jeopardy, so as much as I might want to go after him and kick his ass, I can't. Mummy Mee and Daddy Dee love this orphanage and all the children here, they put their all into it, and I can't be the reason for them closing down all so I can get some brief satisfaction.

 

"Detoro-Kun... I am sorry. I really don't want to, but I need to think about all of the children here. They have no place to go, and we are the only home they have ever known. They need us, and-" She tries to explain, and I can see her eyes fighting off tears as she does so. She is clearly in a challenging position and only left with a single option, and I don't blame her.

 

"I said it is fine, didn't I? Don't worry about me, Mummy. I learnt quite a lot on my journey, and I can fend for myself easily. I can forage, I can cook, I can work, and I can work hard. So I will be fine, trust me." I cut her off, trying to ease her worries. Because it is true, I lived fine on Troga with no money whatsoever, and while admittedly, Garp was there, that island was perilous. In comparison, this island is easy mode. I can easily hunt the weak animals here and cook them, there are fruits in the trees, and I can cut down the trees myself to use them for repairs.

 

"Detoro... you really are special, aren't you?" Mummy Mee suddenly kneels down and grabs me by my shoulder, and turns me to look at her. Her eyes are full of sincerity and warmth, as well as an amazement that I am surprised to see, finding myself lost for words.

 

"You have always been different, Detoro. If this were any of the other kids in your situation, then I would be very scared and worried. But you have always been clever, Detoro, you are very clever. You learn to walk before the others, to talk. You have always been ahead of the curved and very advanced for your age. I know you will be fine, Detoro. You are strong." She says, expressing her belief in me. Her faith is that I can handle this and that I am more than capable of besting the situation.

 

She is right. I am different from the others. I remember my previous life, after all. Of course, I don't have any of the emotions or feelings attached to those memories, but even so, I have that knowledge. I have those memories, but they were put to the side and forgotten about when I realised that I was in a peaceful village. My life was pleasant, easy and fun. Even training with Garp was a decision I made myself, and nothing was forced upon me. Nobody was harsh or malicious to me.

 

But that has changed, and now I realise this world is not as nice as I first thought it was, what with all the genocide and corrupt marines. I no longer have time to enjoy myself as a carefree young child. I need to grow up and start living seriously. I can handle being alone, providing for myself and building my own house.

 

"I will not be coming back to this orphanage, ever. But, if you ever need to find me, for whatever reason, you know where I will be. Goodbye, Mummy Mee. Tell Daddy Dee I said goodbye as well." And so, leaving her with those parting words, I leave her office without looking back. I will not be coming back here, this is my past, and I am moving into the future.

 

I don't need money to survive, and it is a nice thing to have, sure. But more important than money is actual strength. With strength, you don't have to worry about money. So going into the future, I will be focusing still on my training and becoming even stronger.

 

With my new resolution in place, I slowly make my way back home to my isolated house on the beach to find George sitting outside of my home, looking at me expectantly. I wondered why for a moment before remembering that I promised to bring him some unique fruits to eat as well as food for myself. My stomach rumbles to remind me of my hunger, having forgotten about it after my run-in with Nezumi.

 

I did not get the money like I planned to buy the food, and while I do have some still hidden in my house, that is for emergencies only and for supplies that I cannot source myself. So I apologise to George, who seems to realise that something must have happened, and I peel the leftover fruits we have from Troga for the both of us to eat.

 

And then, with my stomach full, I go to bed, resolved to start providing for myself tomorrow. My training can be put on hold or minimised until I am self-sufficient and taking proper care of myself.

 


 

The following day I got out of bed feeling a lot better, my body had healed quite a lot during the night, and the bruises that were dark purple yesterday were now a light purple that was beginning to fade. Of course, my body still hurt, but now it was manageable, and it would not keep me from performing any of the tasks I intended to do today.

 

Immediately setting about my day after I get ready, taking a quick dip in the ocean, cleaning myself up and putting on my clothes, I walk out of my house. I ignore George, who is slumbering away underneath the shade of a tree, and I walk straight past him into the forest. I scramble around for twigs and branches that have fallen from the trees, collecting all that I can and then bringing them home, but after looking through them, I realise that none were optimal for what I wanted, neither straight nor rigid enough.

 

I go back into the forest, and instead of foraging around this time, I leap up towards a tree and wrap my hands around one of the thin branches and rip it away before landing back on the ground. With that done, I go back to the beach and start to look around the rocky area, and after finding a particularly sharp-edged rock, I walk back to my home.

 

Sitting down, I grab my sharp rock and my thin branch and start to shave away the wood, slowly but surely whittling it down and starting to give it shape. Then, working away until I had sharpened it down to a very dangerous point and crafting myself a wooden spear which I would use henceforth to feed myself.

 

At first, I had planned to hunt for animals on the island, hoping to catch some big game since my appetite has since gone up after training on Troga, but I realised that was unrealistic. This is a peaceful island, and never once had I heard of any animals attacking the villages or generally being a nuisance. Obviously, there would be none of the big meaty animals I was looking for, or they would be fenced up and adequately farmed. So instead, I would probably only find small animals and the like, which would not be able to fill my belly.

 

This is why I turned to the other veritable source of food that was nearby and which was coincidentally right next to my house. Taking off my clothes, I strip down to just some underwear before walking into the shallow depths of the ocean, my spear at the ready to pierce anything I see swimming around. I wade through the shallows keeping my eyes peeled for any fish, but all I see are itty bitty little things that won't fill me in the slightest.

 

I look out at the ocean, and I want to dive in there and find the bigger, more filling fish, but I find myself faltering at my first step. When I look out at that big expansive blue sea, I remember all the things lurking beneath its surface, just waiting to snap up and eat me. Those giant Seakings that numbered in the hundreds and they were this size of literal islands, and if you weren't paddling fast enough, then you would be attacked because there was no air for the sails to-

 

Right, there was no wind there. It was completely calm and silent, the sea itself without the slightest ripple. But here there is wind, it is an entirely different place, and I saw a few different Seakings in my journey before reaching the windless zone, and they were all relatively small in comparison to those behemoths. They were around the size of a small boat, which was still quite big, but I felt like I would be able to fend them off. Plus, I saw all of those near the deep ocean; there are probably none this close to an island.

 

Feeling emboldened, I jump hands first into the ocean and begin to swim out into the more bottomless sea, keeping an eye out just in case. Diving down underneath the surface of the water, I open my eyes to look out into the depths, and I see numerous aquatic creatures floating all around me, some looking quite normal and some looking bizarre as all hell. I think I will avoid the more weird things, not wanting to eat anything that might have an ill effect, and also because they look a bit gross and not really tasty.

 

Spotting a big regular-looking fish, I thrust my wooden spear forward, impaled it through its side, and quickly made my way back to the beach, wanting to reap my rewards immediately. Getting back onto the beach, I realise pretty quickly that I can't eat the fish raw and I need to cook it, so I plant my spear down and dig it into the stand, allowing it to stand up with the fish stuck to the end.

 

I source some rocks and quickly set them in a circle on the beach, really digging them into the sand before gathering some of the twigs and wood I found earlier to use as kindling for the fire and placing them in the stone circle. Remembering how Garp used to get fires started on Troga, I ended up giving it a try myself, thinking it was not that difficult. First, I pick up two rocks in each of my hands, and then I just start to slam them together continuously, clashing them together, again and again, constantly creating sparks that litter down onto the twigs.

 

None of them caught light, but I wasn't expecting them to do so straight away. I remember when Garp did this, his hands were a blur, and it looked like there was fire raining down from his hands with how quick he did it. Even if I am not as efficient as him, the method itself still works, and I continue to smash the rocks together, producing sparks that continually pour down onto the kindling, until finally, after dozens of clashes, it finally works, and I have a campfire.

 

Grabbing my spear, I heft it over the fire and start to cook my fish, it won't be the tastiest thing in existence, but it will suffice. This is how I will be eating for the foreseeable future. George mainly eats fruits and vegetables, so he will also be fine. We can just pluck them from the surrounding trees, though he does have a nasty habit of eating all sorts of little bugs and creepy crawlies.

 

Yeah, he will be fine, as will I.

 


 

"Listen, George, stop trying to come inside the house. It isn't big enough for you to stay here. I made you a little place, didn't I? That is your place, and I don't come barging into it, do I?" I try to get George to back down as he tries to force his way inside of the house, his big head trying to fit through the doorway. I managed to keep pushing against his head and stop him from getting in because my home would not survive him.

 

It has been a while now since my run-in with Captain Nezumi, and I have adapted quite admirably to the situation if I do say so myself. I resumed my training though I don't always go all out since I need to fend for myself, and I can't risk being wiped out. My hunger is taken care of by the sea beside me, sometimes catching big bounties and occasionally coming home with only small fish. But I do not falter. On the contrary, I appreciate everything the ocean delivers to me, being grateful that it continually provides for me.

 

I source fruits for myself and George from the forests that surround my home, though I make sure to not take too many at a time and ration them out so we will not suddenly lose that resource altogether from overeating. George is obviously not happy with the situation since he wants to gorge himself on the fruits, and there isn't much I can do to stop him from going into the forests to get his own supply though he tends to struggle with that sometimes.

 

Overall, life has been just fine, it isn't a bad life, but it could definitely be better. One night it rained pretty heavily, a significant departure from the usually sunny and tropical vibe of the island, and it was that night that George came and barged through the front door while I was sleeping, breaking the front door. Needless to say, I had to let George sleep inside the house with me after I blocked the front door. It was not a good night for me.

 

After that, I immediately set out to the village and used the money I had hidden under my floorboards to buy some nails and other supplies. Then, I quickly crafted some new tools just like I did back on Troga, and I cut down some tries, and I fixed my door and boarded up the holes in my house. I also went and attached a little porch covering to the side of my house so George can sleep under it and not get wet, though he still doesn't like it.

 

"GET OUT!" I grunt as I push with all my strength, and I manage to actually thrust him back outside, George not expecting my sudden burst of power. He stumbles backwards and away from my house, thankfully not breaking anything on the way though he does seem quite miffed at my actions.

 

"Greh..." Geroge spits out before turning around and walking towards the forest, probably going to go and get some of those delicious orange tangerines. I don't know where he gets them from since the fruit in the woods is entirely different, but I don't have time to focus on that. Instead, I am more caught up in what George just said, running outside of the house to catch up with him.

 

"Huh? What did you just say? That you didn't want to stay in this shithole anyway? How can you say that? Just look at this... place..." I point towards the house, trying to show it to him in all its glory, but my words fall off at the sight of it, George ignoring me to continue his walk away. I can't be bothered to stop him as I look at my house and the absolute state that it is in.

 

The shoddy makeshift door at the front barely covers the gap, and the porch to the side is standing up wonkily, looking like it will topple at any moment. There are multiple boards of wood nailed in all over the place, and the building as a whole generally looks weathered and broken down. So this is the place I have been living in? I didn't even realise it crumbling down around me, slowly falling into disgrace. As I look at it, I can't help but feel some physical pain as I am reminded of the vow that I made.

 

I remember clear as day looking at this place after I had discovered that it was a broken down place that the previous owner ticked Mummy Mee and Daddy Dee into buying. But the orphanage owners' spirit and feelings were true, and they purchased this thinking it was a good home for me to live in, and I vowed to make it into a fricking palace, which is why I went and bought that book.

 

But now that I stand here and look at this home which is in a worse state than ever, I can't help but feel angry at myself. I made a promise to improve and fix this place up, and I just forgot about it because I stopped having money given to me? Like a spoiled brat?

 

That is no reason to give up like a little scaredy cat, giving up at the first obstacle. If I am no longer having money given to me for absolutely nothing, then I will have to go out there and make some money in the village. I will find some jobs, multiple jobs, as many jobs as it takes, and I will start earning. Earning so that I can immediately begin to spend the money on equipment, tools and resources so I can start fixing this place up.

 

And if there is any left money over, then I suppose I can splurge on getting myself and George some good food. So, with my goal in mind, I skip morning fishing and training and head into town, adamant about ridding myself of my unemployed status.

 


 

"Hey Detoro-Kun, how was business this afternoon?" Avaganda, the friendly old man that owns the bookstore, asks, walking in through the front door. I look up from the book I am reading about carpentry and give him a smile from my seat behind my desk.

 

"As usual, just some people coming in to read and some mothers buying some books for their children. Oh, though, that guy with the pinwheel in his hat came by again to pick up some books on navigation to add it to his village's bookstore." That guy was seriously peculiar. He would come by every once in a while saying that the books were stolen, and he came back to buy more. But instead of repurchasing the same books, he would get different ones each time. Strange, but I don't judge paying customers.

 

"Good, good. Well, here you are. Good work today, Detoro. I am sorry I can't pay you more, but we barely get by as-"

 

"It is fine. After all, you are letting me read all the books I want and even letting me borrow a couple to take home with me free of charge. See ya later, Jiji." I cut him off, running out of the store with a couple of books tucked away in my satchel, hurrying to my next job.

 


 

"ORRAA, BRAT! FETCH ME SOME TWO BY FOURS AND A COUPLE EIGHT BY TENS. WE NEED TO GET THIS FINISHED RIGHT NOW, OR WE ONLY GET PAID HALF FOR IT!" Bob yells out from his workstation, his tone rough and unfriendly. I don't mind it, though. That is just how he is. I quickly run over to pick up the planks of wood and run them over to him, we need to get this order finished quick, or it sells for half, which means I will be getting paid less as well.

 

"GOOD. NOW YOU GO AND WORK ON FINISHING THOSE DOORS. WHEN YOU ARE DONE WITH THOSE, GO HELP SCOOP AND ROLEY." The boss of this little woodworking workshop orders, unable to control the level of his voice. It is just how he is, and that is fine.

 

I quickly run to my own workstation and pick up my tools to get to work, ready to use my skills to build these doors.

 


 

"Alright, Detoro-Kun. Make sure to keep striking the piece of metal as hard as you can but maintain control all the while. We are shaping the metal at the same time as we are making it stronger. The heat from the forge allows us to mould the metal into what we want," Pietri, the guy in charge of this blacksmith, instructs as I stand over the sweltering piece of metal that is blasting me with waves of intense heat.

 

My black leather safety-clad hand smashes my tough hammer onto the metal, strengthening it and giving it shape, following the instructions of my boss. I had to work quite hard for this opportunity to finally gain the trust needed to let me begin learning about blacksmithing.

 


 

"Alright, boy, you got everything you need? Remember to pack some extra clothes as well, for when you get seasick?" One of the guys I will be joining on the ship asks condescendingly, smirking down at me because of my smaller size and age.

 

I ignore him as I walk up onto the fishing boat to join the rest of the guys here that will all be working together to capture a whole lot of fish to sell wholesale, and I should be getting a good payday for my assistance.

 


 

*BOOM* *BOOM*

 

"GET BACK HERE!" I hear someone scream from the depths of the forest after those two gunshots, so I quickly stop my training exercises to look in that direction and prepare myself for whatever is heading my way, taking a stance and facing the forest's ominous depths.

 

Which is why I am so surprised when George suddenly jumps out of the tree line, looking like he has just run a mile and looking insanely panicked. But his eyes light up when he sees me, and He quickly sprints towards me and then skids to a spot behind me, peeking over my shoulder and watching the forest warily.

 

Seeing him act in such an out-of-the-ordinary way, I quickly focus my gaze ahead, readying myself to face whatever it was that has George so spooked. And again, my expectations are overturned when a woman steps out of the darkness, toting a shotgun and smoking a cigarette, glaring in my direction, or more accurately, at George, who is hiding behind me.

 

She wears a short-sleeved green checkered shirt that has MACE written across the chest of it in dark green letters, dark blue jeans and some brown sandals with a thick platform. She is light-skinned with blue eyes, but the thing that sticks out the most by far is her hairstyle. Her pale pink/red/maroon hair is shaved on the sides, leaving some fuzz. However, there is a thin strip across the top of her head connecting the bangs sitting atop her forehead and the three ponytails on the back of her head. Completing the look are two thick strands of hair growing just atop the sides of her face.

 

"Oi, brat. Is that your gorilla?" She questions, holding the shotgun over her shoulder and pinning me with her stare.

 

"I suppose it is. So why are you chasing after it?" I question stepping out of my stance since she isn't pointing the gun at us. Though I keep a keen eye on her, ready to move at the slightest act by her.

 

"This dumbass Gorilla has been sneaking onto my property and stealing the tangerines from my trees. Mine and my girls' livelihood depend on the sales of those fruits, and your gorilla has been robbing them from us." I chance a look behind me to see George clutching a single juicy-looking tangerine in his hand, which makes me grit my teeth in a grimace. I was wondering where he was getting these things, and unfortunately, I too, have been eating and enjoying them.

 

"I see... What is your name?" I ask, snatching the tangerine from George's grasp despite his protests and chucking it across the way to the woman who catches it with her free hand.

 

"... It's Bellemere." She says as I turn around and begin to walk into my still under construction house.

 

"Bellemere-San, I am Amarillo Detoro. I apologise for George. Now, how much do I owe you?" Unfortunately, my renovations will have to be put on hold for a while, just enough so that I can reimburse this woman for all the trouble myself and George have caused her.

 

And I was so close to getting done with the gutters and the drainage system.

 


 

Thank you to my Superhero Patrons, Marcus Lane, אוהד דולינסקי, J and hz. Thank you for all your support.

 

Thank you to my Galactic Hero Patrons James Feazell, Luis Barreda, altear, Orest, Spoder man, Clocker, 2Bizzy, Poke, Jabran Riasat, Wilder, Jeffrey Iverson, Alex, Surge101 and Moose. Thank you for your extraordinary support.

 

Thank you all for your support, I truly appreciate it.

 

If any of you have any questions, suggestions or want to chat about the stories then hit me up on either Pat reon or Discord.

 

I currently have three regular fics active, and I update each of them in turn every 4 days.

 

It starts with From The Smoke, then moves on to The Will of Gill, and finally Amarillo's Pirate Adventure.

 

I also have a Pat reon that is currently 9 chapters ahead of schedule.

 

You can read my next chapter three days ahead of time for $2.

 

You can read the next chapter of all three fics for $5.

 

For $10, you can read the next two chapters of two of my fics, as well as one chapter from the remaining one, before the general public.

 

Finally, for $20, you can get the next three chapters of all three fics.

 

My discord: /AY7vBWMN to discuss the fics and hang out.

 

My Pat reon: reon com/ DragonField (no spaces and a dot before the com) for anybody who wants to read up to the next three chapters of all my fanfics.

 

That is all for now. I hope you enjoyed the chapter. I will see you in the next one!

 

Stay safe and have fun!

15