Chapter 1 – My First Time Dying
4.7k 7 91
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
12/11/22 - I've done some editing to the chapter, making it more presentable. I will try to do the same for the other chapters as well!

 


 

I cannot describe how it feels to die. Under normal circumstances, there are a rare few individuals who have ever experienced death—the folks who tell stories about how they'd died and seen their own bodies—the most eccentric tales.

 

All of those stories are fine and dandy, questionable for sure, but still fine nevertheless! Except, what I see before my eyes is nothing short of an eldritch scene, utterly unrealistic in nature. Science may describe this phenomenon as a blackhole, maybe. I don't think so though. This sphere is not drawing anything toward it. 

 

It appeared while I was driving. A ball that was colored purple, its texture brightly spiraling in the middle of the road. Traffic was halted by its appearance, rightfully. No one in their right mind would try and get close to that thing, its appearance alone gave off a dreadful sensation. 

 

I wasn't among the people who'd gotten out of their cars as the color of the sphere slowly brightens from a dark purple to bright red. I wholeheartedly wish that I'd taken the opportunity because I'd never get it again... not after what came next.

 

Powerful gusts of wind emit from around the massive ball that only grew in size after the sudden gust! I could've sworn that my car was blown back by a few meters. The other cars around me were thrown around wildly, the inhabitants inside looking just as panicked as I was. The most horrifying part is what reached out of the ball, a lengthy, spiky limb that looked to be an arm came stretching out of the sphere. 

 

The black appendage stretched out to a length greater than 3 meters with ease, the ball only growing in size as an identical limb comes stretching out shortly after. A black mist of steam resonates from the apparent arms, giving a glimpse of what is to come now. I didn't want to stay and find out — opening my door as quickly as I can — but, I was foolish to think that I had a choice in the matter.

 

✦ Warning! A ███████ has appeared through a ███ Gate! All [Awakeners], prepare for battle! ✦

 

"Huh?" With confusion in my voice, I don't know what to say about the new discovery before me. A transparent window suddenly appears in front of me, stopping me in my tracks on my way out of the car. I only get the chance to stand and observe it, and I look around at the others who were running as quickly as they could. Anyone in their car might've been trying to drive away but couldn't now that so many cars have piled up and barricaded others in. During the panic, I was able to spot other people who looked just as confused as I did. To the naked eye, they were just staring off into space in front of them, but I knew that they must've been seeing the same thing as me.

 

I didn't get time to focus and read everything in the window. Before I could, a massive black body stood beneath the portal. My attention was directed to the window for so long that the monstrous entity finally freed itself from the vortex that now begins to float higher in the air, probably so that it can let out another one of its monstrosities! "Damn!" I clamor, quickly fleeing from my car door, as fast as I can at such short notice.

 

The monster that'd freed itself had the same massive arms. But, what I'd seen coming through the rift was a mere sample of what was lurking inside. The arms of the humanoid monster extended out by 5 meters, much thinner than I remember them being initially. It was in a prone position, yet its massive torso was almost at equal length with its arms. I can only assume how massive its legs must be, since I couldn't even perceive its next movement.

 

While I was fleeing, the creature moved in a blur and appeared beside me. I turn my head to look in its direction, only managing to form a single bead of sweat before its massive claw and arm stretch out and smack me down the freeway.

 

I repeatedly crash against the ground only to rise back up from the impact, leaving me with more than a few broken bones. My primary limbs were contorted and bent beyond belief as I scream in agony. I wasn't the only one, though. Everyone fleeing screams out in horror at the sight before them. The people in their cars were trying to run away just as I had, only to have this monster move toward them at speeds faster than the human eye can track. It was toying with us! Trying to move only inflicted more pain upon me, like this thing wanted to keep me alive! 

 

"W- Why... is this-" I can't even form a sentence. I can only watch helplessly as the monster blitzes across the freeway, hurling cars like toys. My vision begins to blur, I probably had a load of injured organs. How unlucky can a guy get... I can't even think straight anymore either. I've lived such a simple life until now—things were finally starting to get interesting! Will I actually die here!? 

 

Everything goes black. The last thing I see is that haunting smile, the horrifying smile of that unnamed monster.

 


 

Why me? Why did I have to die? What did I do wrong? Is this my karma? The consequences of my actions? What actions did I commence...?

 

In the void of blackness, a faint glow appears, like the spark of a match in a dark, deep cave...

 


 

I feel a warmth touching me, somewhere. In a place that no longer exists, my face, maybe. "...?" How comforting. This isn't so bad, I guess?

 

✦ Skill Activation: Rebirth! ✦

 

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

 

My eyes burst open in a frantic fit, awakening in a small bed that's been drenched in my sweat. Hyperventilating, my heart is racing while my mind works overtime to collect itself after the nightmarish encounter I'd dreamt about! Only...

 

"What the hell?!" I erupt into a shocking fit next, but, it isn't my voice that's complaining. In the place of my voice is a soft, yet also the high-pitched voice of a young girl! Looking at my arms, and hands, and examining my body I'm bemused at the sight of smooth, soft skin that was not my own. Black hair flows down over my chest, buried within the white nightgown that I was wearing. "This isn't my body!" I vent.

 

There is a flash beside me, and then a window similar to the one from before opens up beside me. My eyes go wide for what feels like the hundredth time today, looking to see what I'm assuming is my current information.

 

Returner Information

Name: Roshia Qinlen Class: Returner
Age: 17 Skills: Rebirth (Level 1)
Gender: Female Level: 1 [EXP: 5/100]

 

"Ehhhhh!? What the hell is all of this!?" Lost, I can only stare at the menu before me! Returner?! Did I get transported to a game or something?! What the hell's the meaning of this?!

 

So, my life as an Immortal Awakener started off with a major twist!

 


 

Our protagonist wasn't very talkative during this chapter, but don't worry, you'll hear more from him later on! Nonetheless, I hope that everyone enjoys reading!

91