Chapter 3 – World Of Awakeners
3.2k 8 78
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
12/12/22 - Edited the chapter and added minor fixes that I hadn't seen the first time around!

 


 

Years are so precious to us humans, we don't realize how many we've wasted until it's too late, it's the reason that we've learned that time is of the essence. In my state of death, I've missed out on ten years of my life. I've lost so much time, all due to a single incident. One which I should've never returned from.

 

Nebulous imagery congests my mind, luring me deeper into a fog of memories I couldn't recognize. When I first entered this body, I was cruelly battered by its memories that I can't confirm are real or not. I have seen my mother as a child, in a body that has had no father, as far as I know. 

 

What's all the more surprising to me are the details about what has taken place in the decade that I was gone.

 

Narrating, I can hear Anaphiel speaking in my mind. If I didn't want to listen, I'd be out of luck. All of my senses have been lulled in by her story.

 


 

"Ten years ago, on an unfortunate day, the [Founder] decided that he could no longer endure the unwanted weight being applied to him by the [Council], beings who transcend the [Realms] as a whole. One thing led to another, and the [Invasion] was created on Earth—except, just as you'd have expected—some things went horribly wrong.

The Invasion was the gateway between Hell and Earth, though, certain creatures in Hell are contained by a [Barrier] strictly made to keep powerful monsters like the [Barodon], an entity that is far too powerful for humanity to fight against. It crept past the barrier at its most vulnerable state and became one of the first monsters to invade the Human World. It killed many until we [Guardians] stepped in to contain it and return it behind the barrier.

 

This has become largely forgotten by humanity, keeping the existence of we Guardians as a forgotten memory. 

 

During the chaos that ensued in the invasion, humanity received a change that allowed them to fight against the invaders from Hell. Thousands of people around the world [Awakened], chosen for the [Awakener Program]—the Program empowered them and gave them all special Classes and Skills—and using their powers, they successfully defended against the first invasion!"

 

Anaphiel continues on for a little longer, I'm left awestruck by the end of the narration when my consciousness returns.

 

My eyes flutter open, taking time to study my surroundings. I'm still inside my room, but Anaphiel is laying down on my bed, swinging her legs back and forth in the air. "You're awake! I hope you enjoyed your history lesson!" Anaphiel comments gleefully.

 

"Yeah, I'm more-or-less caught up with everything. At least now I won't be completely overwhelmed by the world." Now that I've calmly collected my thoughts, I'm a bit surprised by the struggle I have with lifting myself up. Since so much has been going on, I never took the time to fully examine the globes hanging from my chest. "So... This is the body of a woman? It's not too bad... Maybe it's because of my new memories that it doesn't feel too weird." I'm so captivated that I didn't even notice that I've been talking out loud. Anaphiel hears everything that I say clearly, triggering a discernable giggle from her.

 

Helplessly, I feel the heat build up in my face. If I can see my own expression, I'd no doubt be shining bright red like a tomato!

 

"You're pretty lucky to end up in such a beautiful body! Your curves and appearance are enough to attract both men and women! You might not get so lucky if you die again, though." If it weren't for the narration that Anaphiel presented to me, I might've been confused about what she meant by that. Now I can thoroughly understand what she means when she talks about my abilities and Awakeners.

 

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

 

Every time I die, with my [Rebirth] ability, I'm brought back to life in a new body. Unlike other [Skills] that use the [Magic] stat, mine doesn't require any specific stats to activate. It's like a curse that prevents me from dying no matter what. Anaphiel isn't sure what'd happen if I somehow managed to have my entire soul corrupted or destroyed—apparently, there are people in the world who can manage that—the more powerful Awakeners of the world.

 

Anaphiel is always a bit hesitant when she's explaining my ability. For someone who should know a lot, she's remarkably disjointed.

 

Everyone Awakener has a [Class] and a [Class Skill] that they receive when they [Awaken]. Furthermore, new Awakeners are constantly appearing. As far as other people will be concerned, I'm just a newly awakened girl, fresh out of high school. 

 

[Gates] frequently emerge around the globe, and because of their appearance, the world and its layout have changed drastically. Like a collision of two realms. The continents of the planet warped and changed, meeting new land that never existed before. New islands were created, as well as more countries. The world as a whole grew a lot bigger during the time of crisis. The world that once existed was unrecognizable in the span of a decade.

 

There are different kinds of Gates, but the most common types are [Dungeons]. If my newfound memory serves me right, you have to register as an Awakener through the [Awakener Association]. It feels like something out of a novel or comic. To maintain order, Awakeners have no choice but to register if they hope to grow stronger. There are several people who have managed to grow stronger without registering with the Association; I don't think I can be like any of them right now. From what's been implanted in my memories, those people became Nation-level threats. Every country is weary of their existence since they're too strong for the average Awakener to handle.

 

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

 

"Judging by how you're still here, I'm assuming that there are still things we need to talk about?" I ask Anaphiel. She's still here, even though she's one of the [Guardians] who seemingly maintain order, she's still here even though I'm now prepared for the new world.

 

"That's because I can't leave you!" Anaphiel's smile somehow grows ten times wider than before. "You're an abnormality, a glitch. I can't tell you the specifics, but I've been tasked with watching over you until you finally die, permanently!" My eyelids droop the moment I hear Anaphiel's words. I don't think I can stand having this enthusiastic girl around me any longer than I need to. "Oh! I won't be interfering with anything, though! So you can live your life as usual!" 

 

On cue, Anaphiel starts to glow brilliantly, thoroughly blinding me for a few seconds. When my vision recovers, Anaphiel is nowhere to be seen. I can only assume that she's become invisible or something. 

 

"Now I finally have a bit of time to myself." I take the time to collect my thoughts. Even though these memories are fresh in my head, they're gradually scrambling and reorganizing themselves. I'll probably forget some things once I come down from my high. "I should look around, help get used to this body." 

 

An hour passes before I finally prepare to leave the house. Just as I'd guessed (even though it was obvious already), I'm in the body of a young woman with nightly black hair. The hair trails all the way down past my chest, though, speaking of which; I was surprised to find that I was fitted with a pair of fair breasts. They weren't precisely average, a bit larger than that. Sadly, I can't call them monstrous either. Still, it's every man's dream to cop a feel for a pair like these!

 

. . . Sorry, that's the savage in me coming out. 

 

My skin is incredibly smooth, slippery almost. If I'd been born in this body, I might not have been working as a delivery driver in my last life. I could've been a front-page model, at the bare minimum! I don't know if anything goes higher than that, but I definitely can't complain about my luck with this lovely body! It's more of a blessing than a curse! I'm not sure if it's special or not, but I also have a pair of bright amber eyes, something like that would've been considered rare or impossible in my old life. The world must've changed how people look too, or at least I'm hoping it has, otherwise I'm going to draw in a bit of unwanted attention to myself.

 

I'm in a single-bedroom apartment, which is bizarre since none of my neighbors have decided to come over or complain despite how loud I've been. They might file a complaint against me in secret, though. Not like I care right now.

 

I decide to put on a simple pair of clothes, something that'll make me appear more professional. After all, I'm going to do some exploring and get right down to business! It's not that I don't want to explore my body or get to the bottom of why I'm singled out from everyone else—but come on! I've just woken up after ten years in a fantasy world, I want to make the most of it and join the Awakener Association as fast as possible!

 

Wearing a black skirt, a tucked-in white button-down, and for what I swear is professionalism, black high-heels, I make my way out of my apartment with an innate skill that's my saving grace in these heels. If I weren't adapted to this body by Anaphiel, I'd have undoubtedly fallen face first when I trekked outside.

 

"It's time to explore this new world of fantasy!" It's a bit uncharacteristic of me to be this eager to jump straight into the world, but who wouldn't be excited to play out their dreams!? The sun gleams down as I make my way to the center of an unfamiliar city, viewing the unnatural sight of people flying with unfamiliar items and outfits that'd appear in folklore. These must be [Real Awakeners]!

 


 

Things will be heating up from here! Some details are purposely left out and will be explored later when they're actually of importance! I hope you're all ready!

78