Chapter 5 – Green Dungeon
2.4k 7 62
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
12/30/22 - Revisions have been made!

 


 

Sigh... "You're kidding me? How come I never noticed this before?" I'm standing outside of the Awakener Association, sliding my finger across the window in front of me. Hundreds of blank boxes are in front of me, and the dumbfounded expression I'm wearing is not helping to fill these boxes either. 

 

"I can't believe I never noticed my inventory!" If Anaphiel were here, I'd be strangling her for not telling me about this! I found it by accident, thinking about how I needed equipment for the Dungeon. "Still, it's good to know that I have it now. I can put things into my inventory just by holding them. Maybe it's because of my [Thief] Class, but I completely disregard ownership of the item too. Even if something is branded, I can still steal it..." Woah, there I go talking to myself. Thank goodness no one else is around, that'd end up bad for me if I was heard.

 

I'm walking through an empty street, my heels clicking against the ground. Supposedly, it's bad to go into Dungeons without any equipment.

 

I feel like I can manage without any equipment, but it's wise for me to take precautions. I've just entered this body and I can't be too certain that my [Rebirth] ability will work the next time I die. It's better to try and stay alive for as long as I can so that I can die without regrets!

 

More importantly, I'm faced with a massive problem. It comes in the form of cluelessness. While I've retained the memories of this body enough to fit into society, I have no clue where I can find an item shop! I should ask around for help, even though I was hoping that luck would be on my side. Too bad I don't have a luck skill that'd be convenient this time around. 

 

Spending another 30 minutes wandering aimlessly, I eventually stop in front of a small hut. "A hut, in this modern era? Has the world regressed in just a decade?" Rubbing the side of my head, I for a short while before I decide to walk inside. From the brick exterior and the anvil sitting outside on the concrete porch, I've come to the conclusion that this is a blacksmith's shop. "I've got the most bizarre sensation that this is where I need to be."

 

Following my gut, I enter the hut to the most peculiar smell. It smells of singing steel and sweat mixing into the steaming air. There are many different items hung up on the wall, each of varying quality. Some were shining bright as the sun comes through the door while others appear to be much older, probably collecting dust over the years.

 

THNK! THNK! THNK!

 

Hearing the sound of hammering, I gain a good idea about what it is. Going deeper into the store, I see sparks rising with the rhythm of each collision from the back of the shop. The sound is originating from a room in the back of the shop, covered by a damaged sheet. The tears in the sheet make it a better fit for a vine decoration than a cover. The steam easily finds its way through the man-sized tears in the sheets, guarding the doorway.

 

While it's a bit harder to see through the giant cluster of steam, there is definitely a person in there. "Ehm, excuse me!" I call out, but the hammer continues. Actually, I swear that it's gotten even louder!

 

Patiently, I wait a bit longer, and eventually, the hammering stops. Heavy steps signal the approach of whoever is waiting in the fog. To my surprise, a tall, muscular fellow comes from behind the thick fog. With a massive beard that only connoisseurs can get close to, neatly shaved at the chin but growing sharply every place else—dressed in the fitting attire that you'd expect, red gloves that were probably losing their color from the heat, a white tunic beneath his overalls, and a stained apron that's certainly seen better days.

 

With his brown mohawk riding low, the blacksmith examines me for a moment. "I'm starting to feel like I dressed way too properly." I should've worn more casual clothes. And to think; I was criticizing Toy for being overdressed for the job. 

 

"In all of my years working, I've only had a few women find this rusty shop." The blacksmith speaks with a heavy voice. It sounds like the power in his voice caused his own words to tremble, even making me quaver a little. "That red-haired brat came here looking for a sword a few decades ago, and then there was the white-haired brat too! Both of those little shits had something wrong with 'em. I guess that makes you the new black-haired brat, and you're harshly underdressed." The way that he speaks really leaves me feeling a bit uncomfortable. Does he speak like this to every woman that comes in here? Wait, what does he mean by 'underdressed'?! I look business ready!

 

The 'red-haired brat' that he's talking about is probably Toy, assuming that there are no other red-haired people that I'll meet along my journey. I have no idea who the white-haired person he's referring to is, though. "My name is Roshia Qinlen. I'm a Thief who recently became an Awakener." Since he hasn't said his name, I guess it's up to me to begin the introductions. 

 

"Khuran Janne—I'd expect nothing less. Few people actually step foot into this shop. There are far more expensive ones that look more appealing to the naked eye. I guess you've either got an eye for great things or you've been blessed with luck." The blacksmith introduces himself.

 

Heh, maybe I shouldn't let him know that I only stumbled upon this place by chance. "Something like that. Heh..." I swipe the bead of sweat off the side of my face. "I'm looking for a 'starter kit', something that can get me prepared for a [Green Dungeon]."

 

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

 

Dungeons are graded by how dangerous they are. It is not only a matter of how strong the enemies inside of it are but also the nature of the dungeon and its components. Some dungeons are rigged with traps. Others might have a poisonous atmosphere that kills you as soon as you go in without proper preparations. The easiest Dungeon to enter is a [Green Dungeon]. The rewards are rather high, usually, they involve clearing a Dungeon or continuously fighting against the enemies that repeatedly spawn in them.

 

The primary types of Dungeons are similar to Awakener Classes. There are [Raid] Dungeons that can be cleared by groups, enemies do not respawn inside of them. There are [Nest] Dungeons, repeatedly birthing their respective inhabitants. The most dangerous type of dungeon is the [War] Dungeon. When a War Dungeon spawns, a worldwide notification is sent to humanity. They're rare, but apparently, mankind is given two options. Invade or be invaded. Not even I know the specifics of these things, though it's common knowledge that every [S-Rank] Awakener from around the world is required to gather for these.

 

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

 

"So you're saying you've got no money, right?" Khuran's right on the dot, there's no point hiding it. "Heh... Yeah, I'm only getting into this sort of thing now." I nervously scratch the side of my head. Hopefully, he doesn't question me any further on this topic, I don't think I can make up excuses to explain my living conditions or anything.

 

Khuran stares at me with an uncharitable leer, making me tremble. "Woah! It kind of feels like—" Then, I'm snapped out of my thoughts by a pleasant jingle. My window has been opened by Khuran without me noticing it. "Skill Steal? You've got quite the power, kid." Khuran is stroking his chin, bobbing his head back and forth in approval. My current class and ability might be impressive—but my Returner class is more remarkable though. I'm starting to wonder what'd happen if I just told him about it. Would Anaphiel step in?

 

"You're a rare customer, so I'll give you something. You're gonna have to pay me back when you get enough money." Before I can protest, Khuran has already removed something from what I'm assuming is his inventory, since it came out of thin air. [Inventories can't be seen by other people unless their owner wants them to see inside.] 

 

On the counter that separates the two of us, there's some light equipment. As a Thief, I probably won't be needing any heavy items. Assuming that this Class works the same way as it might in games, I'm assuming I'm a lot faster on foot without needing heavy armor and equipment. "Let's go over your equipment." He begins.

 

Pointing to the thin steel breastplate: "This is some light armor. It'll defend you against blunt projectiles. The armor should give you help tank some of the damage you'd take."

 

Pointing to the set of two daggers: "Your best friends. These two daggers seek an owner, and if you're lucky, they'll declare you theirs. Two twins, waiting for someone to awaken them."

 

Pointing to the white scarf: "If you wear this correctly, there will be nothing that can get through it. In other words, wear this if the atmosphere is contaminated."

 

"That'll cost you nothing until you make it big. You might not know it, but everything besides that breastplate is more valuable than you realize. I'm not joking when I say that those daggers seek an owner. You girls are always so fiery when you're young, so I'm sure you'll leave me surprised." 

 

Khuran is an odd gentleman, in my opinion. In this hut that's almost repressed away from civilization, he's supposedly given items to the likes of [A-Rank] Awakeners and is now giving me something amazing too. I'm not sure about who this man is—it clearly isn't normal for blacksmiths to forge items with souls—something tells me that there's more to him than meets the eye.

 

I'm a little interested in the daggers but I won't question him about them for now. "Is it really alright for me to accept this?" I ask, hinting at a pinch of surprise.

 

"Ugh!" Khuran groans in annoyance. "Of course! Don't waste my generosity! I'll give you the basic beginner kit if you waste more of my time!" With a shudder, I can't waste any more time. Every bone in my body's warning me not to test his words, so I just take and equip all of the items. I'd check their stats, but I think that can wait until I get to the dungeon!

 

"Thank you, I won't let any of this go to waste." Offering up a polite bow to the blacksmith, I come to the conclusion that now is the best time to head out. While Khuran is a mysterious and scary man, I can't shake the feeling that he has a good heart.

 

On my way out of the shop, Khuran says some final words to me that catch me off guard. 

 

"Stay safe out there, don't let the idea of growth consume you. When you've drowned in glory, you will only sink deeper into the sea of the greedy."

 

I don't reply to him. It wasn't that I had a choice in the matter, it was that I was so trapped by his words that I didn't understand. What could the meaning of his words have been for him to warn me that way...

 


 

A few hours later, I've finally done it! I've gotten everything that I need! Using the [AAS] I found a small team of beginners, much like myself! We'll be forming a party of four! This was kind of a last-minute thing, the dungeon that I have in mind will be opening again soon and I can't afford to wait any longer than I already have.

 

This [Green Nest Dungeon] is located somewhere on the outskirts of Fadena. There are hundreds of Dungeons there, most of which are low-level Nest Dungeons. 

 

Besides wanting to grow stronger, my primary goal is to level up my Rebirth skill and learn more about this ability if I can. If I'm some sort of special person, that has to mean that there are secrets I've yet to discover! I'm also growing a bit fond of this body as time passes, so I want to avoid dying as much as possible. In order to achieve my goals, I've got to grow, and I think that this Class is a cheat to do so!

 

Arriving at the scene, I find quite a group of Awakeners. I'm already partied up with them, so I can see all of their details over their head, similar to a game UI.

 

A tan-skinned woman with dusty white hair, fitted with robes that looked straight out of old Egyptian. The sleeves of her robe disconnected from the shoulder; not to mention her large bosoms that almost intentionally stood out to unveil cleavage. [Level 2 Mage — Jade Moss]

 

A young man with brown hair and a red bandana wrapped over his forehead. He was wearing normal clothes beneath his light armor, with a traditional sword in his right hand. [Level 1 Swordsman — Zaiden Morrison]

 

Lastly, a brute of a man with no hair. He towers over everyone here by a foot or more, lacking any sort of armor over his body other than a shield wrapped tightly around his arm. You could've convinced me that this guy was a professional with the way that he looked! Actually, I think he is! [Level 5 Tank — Tulod Hazewhirl]

 

"Woah, you all look a lot more powerful up close..." This is my first time meeting Awakeners in person, besides the two I'd met at the Association. "You must be the Level 1 Thief, Roshia! It's nice to have you on board!" Zaiden says in a booming, gleeful voice. Zaiden is the party leader, even though he and I are easily the weakest. I think it's his charisma that's managed to draw in a group with such a powerful Tank. For us E-Ranks, Tulod is like a veteran!

 


 

I guess I should take their actual stats and skill into account, shouldn't I? "One moment, I want to examine everyone's information. I kind of took this on a whim." I rub the back of my head nervously, expecting to be scolded. Surprisingly, they were all understanding. "Take your time, dear. We're in no rush, it makes it easier for us to double-check our strategies!" Jade, likely the most mature woman I'll ever meet, reassures me.

 

Awakener Information [E-Rank]

Name: Jade Moss Class: Mage
Age: 32 Skills: Fireball (Level 1), Fire Heal (Level 2), Hellfire Rain (Level 1)
Gender: Female Level: 2

Stat Information

Strength: 3

Speed: 5

Endurance: 4 Intelligence: 6 Agility: 4 Magic: 13

 

"Woah, Jade. You've got three skills? That's a lot, considering I only have one." I decide that it's best not to talk about a woman's age, but Jade doesn't look a day over twenty. I won't tell her this for my own safety, even if I am a girl now. I decide to carry on to the next person.

 

Awakener Information [E-Rank]

Name: Zaiden Morrison Class: Swordsman
Age: 19 Skills: Quickstab (Level 1), Blade Extension (Level 1)
Gender: Male Level: 1

Stat Information

Strength: 5

Speed: 5

Endurance: 5 Intelligence: 3 Agility: 6 Magic: 6

 

"I'm a little surprised, Zaiden. Your stats are all distributed so evenly!" If not for his lack of intelligence, I would've been completely starstruck by his stats. As far as I know, all of your Level 1 Stats are randomized, making it a matter of luck! His are all distributed to the place where they need to be.

 

"Thanks, Roshia! I plan on becoming a [Sword Saint] someday! One of the greatest Swordsmen in the world, working under the prestigious [Sword Saint Guild]!"

 

"The Sword Saint Guild? What's that? I don't think I've heard of it before." Zaiden gives me an aghast look, his hand rising over his mouth. "You've never heard of it?! Well, you are a Thief, so I guess it might not be in your interests."

 

Zaiden pushes his astonishment aside and kindly educates me. "The [Sword Saint Guild] is a Guild of less than 8 members, all of which being Swordsmen or a class along those lines. Only A and S-Rank Awakeners can make it into that Guild, and they must display feats greater than any other. Only the [Greatest Swordsmen] can be accepted into it, and their leader is gifted specifically with the [Sword Saint Class]! Can you believe that?!"

 

"Wow, I knew that there were a lot of classes, but I didn't think that one such as [Sword Saint] would be a thing. It must be seriously rare." Come to think of it, Anaphiel could've given me a rare class too! How come she didn't give me something like 'Thief God' or 'Ultimate Trickster'?!

 

"Your [Skill Steal] ability is pretty terrifying too, honestly. You should be super strong when we come out of the Dungeon!" Zaiden praises me, probably detecting my annoyance with my underwhelming class.

 

I decide not to let his efforts be in vain. "I'm hoping to get to [D-Rank] as fast as possible too, believe it or not! I know that the gap is big, but I'm certain that I can make it!" All of this talk about the big shots of the world is making me seriously excited!

 

"Settle down, children." Jade interrupts, a subtle, satisfied grin on her face. Zaiden must hold Jade in high regard since he doesn't even challenge her intrusion. "We can save this for later, Roshia, go ahead and take a look at Tulod's information too."

 

Awakener Information [E-Rank]

Name: Tulod Hazewhirl Class: Tank
Age: 27 Skills: Heart of Iron (Level 3), Unit Assembly (Level 2), Shield Slam (Level 5), Perfect Defense (Level 1)
Gender: Male Level: 5

Stat Information

Strength: 10

Speed: 10

Endurance: 15 Intelligence: 7 Agility: 4 Magic: 4

 

It's impossible not to be impressed by his stats! A tank that focuses on speed is honestly great for us! His reaction speed is low, but that won't mean much as long as he's staying close to us!

 


 

If I said that I wasn't thoroughly impressed by the stats of our team, I'd be lying through my teeth! "You guys are amazing! Thanks for accepting me on such short notice!" Before I assumed that this was just a group of random people, which they were, but it's clear that they have a bit of experience with one another. Maybe it's because they were assembled by Zaiden, whose unmatched charisma has even started to warm my heart.

 

"If you think we're amazing, you probably haven't even checked the stats of the guys at the Awakener Association, right?" While I'm shaking my head, Tulod chuckles. "I thought so. I'm just a strong guy who's good for taking hits, but there are other Tanks who are better than me. That 15 of mine can turn into a 100 in the upper ranks."

 

Jade is quick to interrupt, probably used to Tulod's lack of confidence. "Still, for us E-Ranks, Tulod is definitely elite. We shouldn't compare ourselves to those other monsters and just focus on what we can do now! Ranking up is like stepping into a new world, so we shouldn't waste time! If you want to catch up, then let's go! I've sent our team strategy to all of you!"

 

"Jade..." Seriously! This group is amazing! Compared to the terrible work groups that I experienced in my past life, it's as though humanity has evolved or changed completely! Especially with people's names too! Some of these names are just too unique! I'm guessing there are certain people who just had their names changed. Roshia's a good name, apparently. Probably because of how easily it rolls off of the tongue of some... Barely.

 

"You're right! I'm ready to head in!" With my gear and weapons equipped, I'm more than ready for this Dungeon Invasion! And soon, our team finds ourselves inside!

 


 

"[Fireball]!" Jade shouts out, the powerful sound of flames scorching the air following. Atrocious screams follow shortly after even that; small, green, human-like goblins kicking about on the ground as their life is slowly snuffed out by her flames. "Sleep in the Fire Mage's embrace, monsters." Jade taunts, her heel pressing down on one of the squirming goblins. Judging from the smile on her face, I can tell that she finds an odd amount of pleasure in killing those poor things.

 

"Tulod, arrows up front!" Descending down past the branches and leaves over our heads are arrows of different colors, aimed directly at us! Before they can get close, Tulod has already gotten in front of us, following Zaiden's orders. As he lifts his shield, he uses one of his skills, blocking them in a much wider range than his shield should've. "[Perfect Defense]!" The arrows are effortlessly blocked and deflected, much to the dismay of the goblin archers, situated a great distance away from the main battle. "Roshia, has your skill started working yet?!" Zaiden turns to look my way.

 

Right now, I'm finishing off a few goblins that they've saved for me to help level me up. Goblins don't have a lot of skills, so it's hard to believe that I haven't gotten a single one off of them! Maybe it's because of the difference in our level! For some reason, the average Goblin is Level 3, making it very hard to fight and kill just one of them! Even worse, it makes it more difficult for my skill to work!

 

"Not yet! My XP has gone up a bit, though! I might level up soon!" Leveling up at Level 1 wasn't that hard of a task, not with a group at least! I can only imagine how badly this could've gone if I'd entered on my own. As much as I want to believe that it isn't, this is real life now! If anyone here dies, they die for good! Hell, even the body that I'm in would be dead for good since I'd be reborn into a new one!

 

Awakener Information [E-Rank]

Name: Roshia Qinlen Class: Thief
Age: 17 Skills: Skill Steal (Level 1)
Gender: Female Level: 1 [EXP: 30/100]

Stat Information

Strength: 2

Speed: 6

Endurance: 3 Intelligence: 0 Agility: 8 Magic: 10

 

E-Rank Goblins seem to only give me 5 EXP each time that I kill them! I think the EXP amount inside of Dungeons is fixed, so there's no telling how much I'd get if I killed something that was Level 10. Then again, in Green Dungeons, I'm pretty sure certain monsters don't go past a set level anyway. Granted, I don't have much time to think! I'm in the middle of an intense battle!

 

"Going in!" Once the rain of arrows came to a halt, I didn't waste any time. Dashing past Tulod, I rapidly approach the archers positioned in the back, the two of my daggers in my hands. I might be Level 1, but my Speed and Agility are still the highest here, save for our Tank! I reach the group of Goblins quickly, finding no issue in scaling the stalk of the tree up to the branches they were lurching on. "Found ya'!" I clamor excitedly. 

 

"K-Kuuuh!?" One of the goblins turns around in surprise. As a Thief and Awakener, my body seems to know the movements necessary for optimal performance. Instead of charging straight in, I weaved through the trees and bushes of the surrounding forest to reach the Archers in no time. Their agility wasn't the best, it was mainly their numbers and physical strength! Using my left dagger, I begin chipping away at several of the archers until I came crashing down to the ground on top of the final one. My dagger was piercing straight through his neck, causing blood to shoot out onto my hands and arms. 

 

Am I detached from reality? For some reason, I feel no disgust from killing these goblins. No, even Zaiden looks a bit hesitant and uncomfortable when he performs certain kills. The body that I've been put into must've been made to help me adapt to fighting and killing faster than a normal person...

 

Swiping sweat from my forehead, I look up to see Zaiden and Jade finishing up on their end. They're fighting off the dagger and hammer-wielding goblins swarming them. Since this is a [Nest-type Dungeon], we'll eventually just get swarmed again. Part of our plan involved staying as close to the entrance of the Dungeon as possible so that we can make a quick retreat if things go south.

 

✦ Skill Steal Activated! ✦
✦ You've acquired [Danger Sense], [Eagle Eye], and [Ranged Weapon Mastery] ✦

 

"Huh?! Seriously?!" I almost fall back off of the goblin corpse when the window suddenly pops up in my face. Gathering myself, I carefully examine the window, discovering that my skill has activated on its own! I thought that I was doing something wrong, but I guess not! The skill will activate on its own whenever it's supposed to! Too bad I didn't get to use this on the few goblins who charged at us originally. I'm sure that they had some great melee skills for a beginner like me!

 

"Okay, three new skills..." I carefully look over the window to see if the rest of the team needs help. It looks like Jade has pretty much finished smothering the life out of any goblin that managed to get close. Tulod is easily keeping them back too, letting Jade attack from a distance, and Zaiden head straight in to finish off anyone who Jade fails to get.

 

"Yep, I think I have enough time to check them out." I tap on the window in front of me, prompting the UI to display the information on the three new skills that'd just been 'donated' to me! "Your contribution is appreciated, goblins!"

 


 

Meanwhile, some far distance away, an unfamiliar robed figure watches the group. A shadow is cast over their appearance, making it unclear what they are. Judging by their tall stature, they can't be a goblin, they tower over the poor small things... "May the Goddess be with you all." A feminine voice rang out and a breeze flows by to reveal white thigh-high boots beneath them. Whoever this is must be dressed rather scandalously. 

 

Behind the robed figure, giant green brutes have been gathered up. They are much larger than goblins, but the differences didn't matter in the pile of corpses that they'd been used to form.

 

"I shall observe you for a little bit longer." They speak, their eyes set on a particular member of the party. "Yes, you will make a fine addition to our group..." Who is this mysterious fellow? Who or what are they after?!

 


 

Hey! Sorry for taking so long to write this, I kind of procrastinated a lot! I decided that I wanted to try and change the format of the Awakener UI into something more fitting by using tables! I hope that you enjoy them! This chapter is a bit longer than others to make up for the long wait! I hope you enjoyed it!

62