Chapter 22 – The Knights of Aris (2)
976 6 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The cathedral explodes in all directions, its remaining chunks coming crashing down into the retired buildings below. 

 

I've been thrown out of the building by one of the chains. Because of the hit from the chain, my organs were ruptured. If it weren't for my regeneration, I'd be dead already. I'm walking on thin ice, this will be a troubling fight.

 

I knew that this guy was strong, I could feel his presence through the walls of the cathedral. However, it hurts me to admit that I severely underestimated him. He feels weaker than the [Abysmal Shaman], though this doesn't make him any weaker. I myself couldn't have beaten the Shaman in the state I was in at that time. Right now, I'm not even confident that I can either.

 

My spear has multiplied into many sets, dashing across the sky at the approaching Ascelin. I'm fluently controlling them, but I know that I can do more with my ability. The problem is that I cannot manage them more effectively than this. I've watched Malison use her ability to create destructive orbs in her palms, yet the most that I can do is create an unknown matter and use it to shape my spears. 

 

On the other hand, Ascelin's chains are absurd. No matter how much you hit them, they'll never show any signs of being damaged. As he comes crashing down in my direction, he swings the chains around to skillfully strike against my approaching spears, deflecting them away from himself. 

 

It's already too late for me to move, so I manifest another spear into my hands, bracing myself as he descends upon me. I wait for him to get closer until I believe that he's close enough to be in the range of my skill. I raise the spear over my head using both hands, and then I use [Perfect Double] to create a clone of myself who stands on top of the spear. 

 

Ascelin is surprised at first, but it doesn't take him long to stop his descent. The clone has a spear of its own, pushing off of my spear to jet up at Ascelin. The clone throws the spear up at him, aiming to strike him in his chest. Just as I expected, the spear was quickly deflected, nevertheless, the clone managed to do something unimaginable. By using [Time Manipulation], it was able to skip a process...

 

Usually, it'd have used [Space Manipulation] to push itself over the chains that were briefly focused on defending Ascelin's front. With [Time Manipulation], this process was skipped entirely. No, rather, the process of the action was fast-forwarded. "Your cunningness..." Ascelin has spoken for the second time since he's woken up. "Your cunningness is truly bothersome." 

 

I'd overlooked something momentous during this conflict. Thank goodness I sent out a clone instead of my real self.

 

Black spheres carve through my clone before it can even manage to unleash its next attack. These spheres were like the ones I've seen Malison use, but bigger and faster. They cleave through the body of my clone effortlessly, bombarding it until there is nothing left but the air alone. Better it than me.

 

I should've recognized the fact that my skill was used to copy others, not take them. Every skill that I gained just now is one that he possesses, and he can use them far better than I can. However, [Ability Nullification] seems to be working on its own, canceling out his version of the skill. It means that I can use my own skills that he does not possess, assuming that he doesn't have them nesting away.

 

"You're a fearsome demon, aren't ya'?" I nervously comment as his chains come crashing down in my direction. Using [Flight], [Time Manipulation], and [Levitation], I am able to toss myself away from the incoming chains. I shouldn't bother trying to clash with them, the chains are like me, they are not bound by the limitations of the system.

 

Unlike the chains, it seems like Ascelin is limited somewhat, considering he could not begin a battle with me until I attacked him. Why was someone who was chosen by a supposed goddess placed under such grave restrictions? Why does he appear so differently than in he was in his glory days? I wish that I had more time to think, I wish I could ask him these things. It'd be ignorant of me to assume that he'll give me a response if I ask.

 

I've suddenly generated an idea. These chains are bothersome, they'll either deflect or destroy my spears, so what if I try to take the chains from him?

 

I am in a special position where certain things in the system no longer limit me. I've got a feeling that my daggers cannot even cut through these chains, even though they were strong enough to cut through the Abysmal Shaman's monsters like butter.

 

Beating this guy alone is impossible, but even if I fight alongside my clones, the chances of victory barely go up. The system isn't working correctly, so I can't open my window if I wanted to. "I gave my life to the goddess..." Again, Ascelin is speaking as he mercilessly rains his chains down upon me, attempting to take my life.

 

"When she told me that she discovered a new land, I told her that she could leave this place to me." Lights start to shine over Ascelin's head, and more chains start to come flying out of these lights, heading straight in my direction. The chains were much smaller, but they have a distinct property that I'd never noticed before. They hold a holy radiance greater than the ones that restrained Ascelin.

 

It's a simple task for me to move out of the way, but while I have my eyes on Ascelin, a hand catches me by the back of my neck. I believed that Ascelin didn't create a clone of himself since it wasn't necessary, and I was mistaken.

 

"When the angels swarmed, speaking of her name, I was prepared to lay down my life. I was prepared to transport everyone away, so that I may fight them. So, why...?" Behind me, a clone of Ascelin has caught my small body by the neck. I try to kick myself out of its grip, but my struggles are fruitless. My eyes dart around in hopes of finding something that can be of use in the aged buildings around us. My eyes find nothing.

 

In the midst of my panic, I fail to see the black sphere approaching me from the sky. By the time I see it, it's already a few inches away from my face. You're kidding me, I refuse to die here!

 

Perhaps it was by the grace of some unseen deity, but the sphere moves around me. Instead of striking me in the face, it circles around and bashes through the clone of Ascelin, removing its head and forcing it to release its grip on me.

 

I fall to the ground, coughing now that I can breathe again. While I'm rubbing my healing neck, I look at the sky, in the direction that the sphere came from. What I see is enough to make me smile.

 

Malison floats in the air, unleashing a volley of black projectiles upon Ascelin who takes the time to block them with his chains. However, whereas I had the plan to steal the chains from him, Malison had the idea of destroying them.

 

It's a mystery how she managed to pull it off, but as she unleashes her barrage, pieces of the chain are chipped away. The chains which not even I could damage using the same method were now being damaged by her incoming onslaught. "Clover!" Malison finally ceases her attacking, teleporting down beside me while Ascelin was examining the damage done to his chains. "Are you alright?!" She grabs me by my shoulders, raising and shaking me.

 

Maybe it's because she saved my life, but I'm not too annoyed by her pestering. "I'm fine, but where were you? Where did you disappear to?" 

 

Malison makes a face, one that I cannot read. "It's better if I don't tell you. I have a basic understanding of this guy, though. With the two of us, we can definitely beat him." She puts me down and turns to look up at Ascelin who has finally finished examining his chains. I cannot see it perfectly, but he is looking down at Malison with fervent hatred.

 

"Red...! Red! Red! Red! Red!" The air shakes with each of Ascelin's words. Does he hate Malison's hair that much? No, this must have something to do with the missing chunk of his memories. Something's changed about Malison too, but I can't put my finger on what.

 

Malison casts herself into the sky, moving around the chains that seem to instantly appear in front of her. Ascelin's increased the intensity of his attacks now that Malison's arrived. I'm in no position to sit back and watch! I create another clone of myself, sending it up to fight alongside Malison. At the same time, I manifest Artemis and Apollo, having them take on my appearance.

 

"It's a pleasure to have you call for us again, Master!" Artemis speaks enthusiastically. Apollo looks like he wants to speak too, but I stop the two of them by raising my hand. I point in the direction of Malison and my clone trying to fight against Ascelin, who's currently swinging his chains around while unleashing his own individual attacks. He's begun to use his [Space Manipulation] to disfigure the space around himself, making it hard to even land direct hits on the chain.

 

"That guy, I need to know if you can do something about his chains," I explain, leaving the two twins to ponder for a moment. They share glances at the chains before looking back at me.

 

"Ascelin the Innocent? Such a person did exist at a time, but..." Apollo speaks this time. His words leave me puzzled, but Artemis stops him. "That's a topic for another time," Artemis looks me in my eyes. 

 

"We can seal his chains, but that'd require the both of us to touch them at the same time. This will likely tax your body as well—by sealing the chains, they will become your own, however..." Artemis looks hesitant. It's like she doesn't want me to know the consequences. 

 

I don't care about the consequences myself. "We'll think of the consequences later, Artemis. I'll get you two to those chains."

 


 

13 minutes have gone by, and our situation has changed.

 

Ascelin is more terrifying than I could've imagined. He carries the burdens of millions. I had a rough idea of where everyone had gone, but I'd never imagined that they were all still alive

 

With enough attacking, we've managed to damage his robe enough to leave it wide open. 

 

Faces stretch out of where his torso should've been. Their mouths release many different sounds. Sometimes, they released a child's whining. Other times, they'd let out a burst of laughter that leaves my heart aching. The faces squirm around, some being shoved back by others to get a glimpse at us, but I know that they cannot see. Malison is beside me, her expression unchanging, as straight-faced as ever.

 

My clone has been killed at least twelve times now. Under normal circumstances, [Perfect Double] would allow me to create a perfect copy of myself that can use the exact same abilities as me. The issue now is that just like me, the clone's knowledge is limited on what it can do. I learn everything that it learns once I recall it or it dies, which proves to be useful in my growth, but it isn't enough to change the tide of this battle.

 

Malison has become more powerful since we were separated. She won't tell me what happened, but she must've been fighting. Her clothes are more of a mess than they were when we'd left.

 

"Goddess Aris..." Ascelin's utterance continued nonstop, but I consumed everything he said. He's sharing a story, one that I've yet to hear. One that he cannot finish, he is too mind-broken to finish his story.

 

"His chains are irritating me. No matter how much I damage them, they repair themselves from nothing. I'd be crazy to get close to them too, they're beginning to interfere with my abilities." Malison rants.

 

"What?" I look in her direction, confused. The chains, as far as I can tell, aren't capable of disrupting abilities. 

 

Briefly, Malison's face shifts to a grimace. It's clear that she messed up. Malison had been granted something special, she was falling victim to a unique property of the chains, a property that did not bother me at all.

 

"Forget it, listen, I need your help with something. Every time I get close enough to hit those chains he creates a barrier around them. I need you to counteract his barrier for me." I won't press Malison for answers, not right now. If we get conflicted with one another, we'll both end up dead. 

 

There are a few issues with the fight we're having right now, and my physical abilities aren't one of them. I've found myself able to avoid his attacks, but his defenses are absurd. His [Space Manipulation] is used to distort the space around his chains and himself, making it very difficult to land attacks on him. If it were not for me copying his ability, I'd have never been able to attack him. Guys with these types of skills are just too strong, it's an ability with very few counters.

 

"He can use his ability a lot better than I can. His technique is analogous to mine, but he's much better at using it. I can only give you a few seconds of access." I wasn't surprised by her words. Right now, I was in a state that I couldn't explain. I'm not in control of my brain. It's like I'm being fed instructions and I'm only in control of my body, following them the best way I can. 

 

My mind has subtly been taken over by something. I have no way to defend myself from this mental attack, therefore I'll just follow the instructions given to me. If my brain tells me to duck, then I'll duck. If it tells me to run, then I'll run. 

 

My brain is currently telling me to win. I can only think of a single way. Malison grabs me by the arm as chains come descending upon us. Not yet.

 

She teleports us into the air, over the chains. From here, I can visibly see the eccentric wall protecting the chains. They're close, but seeing Malison's face, I know that this isn't the right time to go in. Not yet...

 

Malison spins in the air, throwing me further away from her as a rift opens between us. A chain comes out, aiming to wrap around her. Thankfully, Malison reacts quickly, and just as I expected, she teleports behind me to catch me in her arms. Not yet...

 

"This doesn't even feel like a [Dungeon Boss]..." Malison complains, her focus at its peak. She has a point, unlike any boss we've heard of or seen, this one feels absurd. I wasn't too knowledgeable during my fight with the Shaman, but it's the same feeling I received while fighting him.

 

This isn't a normal enemy, he is a person. More specifically, he is an [Awakener], one unlike any other. He clearly is not traditionally registered with the system, but there's one thing about him that stands out. His health bar is missing. 

 

Tulod explained to me when we first met that at some point, he gained the ability to see a monster's health bar. I gained this ability at some point too but chose not to use it since it gave me a false sense of security when fighting. When I try to check his health, nothing appears—he isn't a monster.

 

"Now," I say to Malison, no longer able to wait for her mark. My command was unnecessary though since it looks like she was planning on acting on her own in the first place. I lift both of my hands, sending my daggers flying into the air after Malison teleported us in front of one of the chains. 

 

The daggers begin to shine as they change their form, two hands reaching out of them to touch the chains. Normally, the hands wouldn't be able to reach the barrier, but with Malison so close, she used her ability to the best of her ability to disrupt the protecting barrier around the chains.

 

Finally, the hands both make contact with the chain, creating trails of cracks running through as far as the eye could see.

 

Something that I did not account for happened too, though. Malison looks towards me in shock, but I'm too infatuated by the sight of Ascelin, whose skin has begun to crack just like the chains. Then, I look down at my hands—I'm starting to crack.

 

As the cracks run up my body, I'm eventually overtaken by a familiar light.

 


 

❰ Ascelin Saloua ❱ 

 

The joy I experienced when I was gifted the power of Goddess Aris is unmatched. With her blessing, I was able to appropriately tend to my shop. I created my own artifacts, selling them in the name of the goddess. With the infinite knowledge she bestowed upon me, I used my powers to maintain the human world. No longer did the mortals need Hanequin's protection. I was there every day, blessing the citizens.

 

I granted wealth and health to those in need. I expanded our cathedral's interior. From the outside, it'd appear small in size. However, once you enter, you will discover that it is larger than it reasonably should be. This way, I could offer sanctuary to the strays spread throughout the city. 

 

Migrants from foreign countries submitted to the Goddess after a few centuries of trying to fight her. She maintained her position all that time. It became a lost cause to try to liberate our lands, all thanks to the Knights. I was among these fearsome knights, but for some reason, I did not feel a sense of achievement from fighting. I felt pride in assisting my companions, but whenever they asked me to fight, there was a hint of bitterness behind all of my actions.

 

When the conflicts all came to an end, and the world accepted Goddess Aris, I was no longer needed for conflicts.

 

"Thank you, Ascelin! My daughter's illness has completely disappeared!" I once helped a mother in need. Her husband was killed by an unknown sickness because he was too afraid to come to the cathedral to ask for help. I understood how he felt, which is why I could sympathize with him. I offered to use my abilities to bring her husband back from the dead, perhaps I'd become desensitized to human emotions. She refused my offer, saying that her husband wouldn't want to burden others. I understood where he was coming from.

 

Time passed, and I spent a century worshipping Goddess Aris, ensuring that her name was known throughout every corner of the world—not that such actions were necessary. Every continent knew of her grace, and I was just playing my part as best as I could. 

 

It's funny, I was always the weakest of the Knights, yet the goddess continues to praise me for my efforts. She claims that I am the most devoted of her Knights, that I am the only one who is fit to play my role. I only assumed that she meant the role of a missionary.

 

The centuries went by, and I continued my services to the goddess. I carried the weight of the church on my shoulder, ensuring that the religion which followed Aris would never see its decline for any reason. Even when she is absent, I will remain to ensure them of her existence, so that history can never be twisted.

 

It is just as Goddess Aris desires!

 


 

The chime of the city bell has always brought me great solace. The towers on the outskirts of the city were once one in unity with us, but their owner, Khuran, has moved them for his own personal reasons. Now, rather than within our city walls, they rest just outside of the gates. I miss the days when they surrounded our cathedral. 

 

"You should leave from here, Ascelin. Goddess Aris has forgotten us, it's clear. The longer you remain here, the longer you will become a scapegoat for that woman." Khuran's words hurt me the day that we parted. Not because of how harsh they were, but because at the corner of my heart, I knew that they were true.

 

I'd become distant from Goddess Aris. When she requested that I follow her to her kingdom after we found peace, I declined and insisted that I maintain a connection with the mortal realm. She respected my wishes and allowed me to remain here, far from the others. I wandered the earth and discovered many new things that I'd never seen normally. It was not as fulfilling as I'd hoped.

 

Finally, I rested in the kingdom and devoted myself to ensuring that this great land, Soycoshia, would not know despair. 

 

The ministers and citizens of the continent all knew of me, more so than they did the goddess to whom I devoted my prayers. Whenever this happened, I needed to act fast before the reputation of the great goddess was tarnished. I would not let time soil her name. I needed to control time, I needed to dictate and influence the course of history so that they will never forget, for as long as I remain. I can continue living for eternity, and so I will.

 

The humans of this era are becoming more powerful. A young child came to shouting about a cloud he'd found in the forest. Beasts of the forgotten ages were beginning to pour from the cloud he spoke of. Before I could step in to act, the followers of my chapel showcased their own powers, blessings that were foreign to me, ones that did not belong to Goddess Aris.

 

This is not as Goddess Aris intended.

 


 

"The Janne Family has been wiped out. Their interactions with the false god have led the people to question Goddess Aris." One of the ministers of the chapel acted on their own and sent assassins to kill Khuran and his family. I could not act, not after the talk I had with the goddess.

 

"Ascelin, you've spent centuries maintaining my status in the realm of mortals. You should interfere no longer—allow my oracles to dictate the flow of things." Goddess Aris no longer allowed me to roam freely. I could no longer directly intervene in the conflicts. I could not even see to it that Khuran and his wife received a proper burial.

 

Apparently, he and his family made a name for themselves on other continents, becoming renowned for their blacksmithing abilities. Why did the oracle demand their heads? What could be happening behind the scene that'd trigger Aris to have innocent people slain? 

 

If it is what Goddess Aris desires, then I suppose that they are not as innocent as I'd assumed. Even my knowledge must have limits.

 

The beasts that come from the clouds are unlike any creatures that've roamed this earth before. Yet, I innately knew of their origins. I doubted it, but I knew. When I questioned the other Knights, they claimed to be clueless about the matter—and I knew that all of them were lying. 

 

I approached Goddess Aris about the matter. "Goddess Aris, the beasts that have appeared are stronger than the humans can handle. At first, decades ago, they could be managed by those who had the unordinary gifts bestowed upon them by the mysterious force. However, with each passing day, the beasts are becoming stronger. Humanity will not be able to defend themselves from them for much longer." I presented my thoughts to her, and she listened but did not respond. I only d that she'd taken my words into consideration.

 

The will of Goddess Aris is absolute, regardless of my personal feelings.

 


 

It was Goddess Aris who allowed these creatures to roam freely. While I did not stay by her side like the other Knights, I finally understood once the first angel fell from the sky. It was an entity much like myself, blessed with power from an unknown being. The angel was inferior to me in power, so I did not hesitate to meet it halfway down its journey.

 

"This realm will not continue existing for much longer. The rulership of your 'goddess' will falter, and she will return to the side of his majesty. Do not be a fool, you much see the corruption she has allowed to roam through this world in fear." Those were the words of the angel—right before I removed his head.

 

I did not have control over my body at that time. I wished to hear more, but my body moved on its own. Something compelled me to act against him, and so I mercilessly killed him while his guard was down. 

 

When the time was right, I presented a report to Goddess Aris. Her response was unlike anything I'd ever seen. She said no words, but the bloodlust she released was greater than the most powerful of our Knights combined. If not for my divine status, I'd have been killed by her presence alone. "Ascelin, I will leave the mortal realm to you for now. If more angels arrive, I expect you to use the power I've gifted you to the fullest. Kill all of them."

 

Yes, Goddess Aris. This is what must be done to maintain peace in humanity's time of need.

 


 

"I've discovered a new realm, one which is fresh, without monsters. I will take some humans to populate this land and when the time is right, slowly bring more there. In the meantime, Ascelin, I will leave this realm in your hands. I know that you will never abandon our world, Aria." Goddess Aris knew every word to gain my obedience, even when it wavered at times.

 

We parted on good terms, and I did just as she asked. Rather than abandoning the humans, I did what I believed was best for Aria. I granted parts of my abilities to my most faithful ministers. I was the only Knight left in this realm, not even Goddess Aris would stop me. If there were no powers to give, I'd create them and offer them to those who were willing to fight against the approaching beasts.

 

Our world became one of war, but, I ensured that humanity would be on the winning side without my direct intervention. I too had a battle that I needed to focus on. With each passing day, more angels fell from the sky. Each spoke the words of this Founder who came to learn more about through each conflict. I continuously slew the angels, but their numbers never lowered. I could see that they are coming from outside of our realm, from one of the infinite realms stacking on top of another.

 

It was impossible to reach the realm they'd come from. It was outside of my reach, which should've been impossible with the powers bestowed upon me by Goddess Aris. Yet, perhaps this is because I am the weakest. I am certain that one of the others could reach this realm with ease, and the goddess had to have known this. She does not want me to ascend any higher, so I will continue to meet these angels here. With my power, I can kill them before our battles cause too much damage to the world.

 

If only I'd continued with these battles...

 

I'd have never spoken to that particular angel, a white-haired little girl, who I could not kill. Her words were kind and concerning, there was something about her that was unlike any angel I'd met before.

 

"Greetings, Ascelin. I have been sent directly by the Founder to speak with you. I apologize for the rudeness of those who came before me—I have no intent on interacting with the mortals of this world." I believed her words because I knew that it was impossible for her to be lying. I could tell a truth from a lie in an instant, but more importantly, I knew that I couldn't do anything about it even if she were to lie to me.

 

Unlike all of the angels who'd descended down from whichever realm they originated from, this child's power surpassed my own, exponentially. It was like the gap between myself and the other Knights. "...Then I will hear you out." I was hesitant, I knew that the goddess would not want me to speak with them... Somehow, I did not care.

 

"Thank you for being so reasonable. Ah! You may call me by my name, it seems like we'll both be speaking for some time! I am Anaphiel, Anaphiel Chronia!"

38