Chapter 27 – Quasi-Family
799 2 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Training with Madam Tachibana might sound appealing since she's one of the few [S-Ranks] in the world, but in actuality, it'll be worse than training with Tabitha. 

 

We'll need to go through a few examples to fully grasp how fucked I am.

 

Tachibana is a [S-Rank] Awakener, among the strongest in the world. You can count how many people can contend with her with both hands. Tachibana's power, looks, and insight are so commendable that she gathered three wives, each of whom is [A-Rank]. Among these [A-Ranks], there is Genevieve Law, who trained Tabitha Morrison, the same woman who has given Malison and me our fair share of losses.

 

Tachibana holds more power than any of them and likely has an even worse temper than Genevieve, who displayed the same temperament as Tabitha when she saved our lives from the succubus in Eryland.

 

Instead of beating us until we learn, I'd bet that Tachibana will force us to fight enemies that are far stronger than we are.

 

Ah! I should finally take a closer look at my status window!

 

 

"Luck, the Anomaly."

Unranked Awakener Class: Beastkin
Age: 15 Skills: Beastkin Transformation (V), Beastkin Biology (V), Divine Protection of the Beast (II), Ranged Weapon Mastery (I), Synergy (VII), Minor Minion Summoning (I), Flight (IX), Levitation (IX), Regeneration (VII), Minor Future Sight (VIII), Thief's Handsmanship (IX), Clairvoyance Resistance (XIII), Pain Resistance (IX), Blunt Force Resistance (X), Short-Bladed Weapon Summoning (III), Werewolf Transformation (II), Intangibility (IV), Poisonous Blood (II), Paralyzing Howl (II), Claw Generation (III), Misfortune (X), Luck (III), Fireball (X), The Red Mother's Blessing (...), Durability Negation (...), Time Manipulation (III), Space Manipulation (IV), God of Fortune (IV), Soul Weaving (I), Shapeshifting (I), Ability Cancellation (...), Omnilingualism (I), Perfect Double (III)
Gender: Female Level: 792

Stat Information

STR: C++

SPD: B-

END: D++ INT: C- AGI: B+ MP: C-

 

I was told that the status window was updated, but I don't understand some things. There are blank spaces beside where the level of my skill should be, most specifically there are dots in their place.

 

When I try using the abilities, nothing happens. It'd make sense for [Ability Cancellation] not to work since there's no ability for me to cancel. Although, [Durability Negation] doesn't seem to be working in the slightest. 'How do you know' you may be asking.

 

Well, I can feel it when my skills activate. It's a sensation, a natural feeling that you get when using your skill. None of the abilities with '...' beside them are working. There must be some conditions or restrictions to them. Thankfully, I still have my Time and Space Manipulation skills. If I didn't have those, then I'd be in a very rough situation later on down the line. 

 

I can't rely on these skills forever though. Malison is the one who's really skilled at using [Space Manipulation]. I'll leave that work to her and focus on learning how to properly use [Time Manipulation] during my time on the island. 

 

A lot of my skills have leveled up, but none of them have evolved. Odd, but not too troublesome. I'd like for my class to evolve though. After everything I've been through, I should be satisfied with my growth, but I'm not. Every time I remember how helpless I was when I fought the succubus—how helpless I was when I fought Ascelin, who wasn't even going all out—my desire for growth rises.

 

"The Anomaly?" Tachibana's voice calls out over my shoulder. Somehow, I've ended up in the woman's lap. I don't know why she wanted me here, but I wasn't in a position to decline. She picked me up and sat me on her lap. 

 

Malison didn't even wake up. That girl sleeps light a log, and I can understand why. We went through a lot inside the dungeon. She didn't tell me what happened, but I do know that it must've been rough. I feel bad for her... I shouldn't.

 

"It's a title I received after I escaped the dungeon. I don't know the meaning behind it, though." 

 

"You're so innocent," Tachibana teases, "I think it's better to explain everything now instead of later. Titles are achievements bound to your soul. For example, after I became the sovereign of Eryland, I achieved the title of [Madam]." I chill runs down my spine when Tachibana calls herself a 'sovereign'. It gives me a look into how her mind works.

 

"Is that why it's so natural for everyone to call you 'Madam Tachibana'?" I'm not sure when it started, but there are times when I can't help but forget that Tachibana has a first name. In Japan, it was natural to call people but their family name, but somehow 'Madam' has instilled itself where 'Tsukiko' should be at times.

 

"That's correct!" She chuckles, running her hand through my hair to ruffle the base of my beastkin ears. I squirm in her lap, but she doesn't let me escape by using her free arm. "Subconsciously, everyone is inclined to know your title once they hear your name. It can be your first or last name. Since I came from Japan, I naturally used my family name instead of my first name; if I had used my first name, I'd be called Madam Tsukiko by most."

 

'Hm. The more you know.'

 

"So once someone finds out my name is Luck, they'll instinctively call me 'The Anomaly', right? That's going to be so annoying. My luck is horrible!" 'God of Fortune' my foot! My normal name is already bad enough, but now some people are going to start calling me an 'anomaly'?! That's just downright misfortunate!

 

Tachibana looks confused by my complaint, but she does not say anything. Only by tilting her head do I feel myself becoming embarrassed. I don't know why, but the fact that something I've said can confuse someone as wise as Tachibana makes me feel like I've said something wrong.

 

'Why do I feel this way...?'

 

"Why are you staring at me?" I muster the courage to ask her. I guess my body has become trained, even in her absence. The more I think about it, I'm basically a bipedal animal. I'm also a slave who was purchased by Tachibana, which makes her my owner. Could it be that my body has adapted to her and accepted her as its 'master'?

 

'Nope, that's just got to be a baseless theory.'

 

"What did you see inside the dungeon?" Tachibana breaks the silence with a question that accelerated my heart.

 

BADUMP! BADUMP! BADUMP!

 

"Wh... What hap..." I couldn't even form the words. My mouth opened, releasing sounds that'd have otherwise been a corporeal sentence. I cannot bring myself to give her the details I want to; the fight in the dungeon, the monster that broke through the walls, and the angels who battled it—my mind does not permit me to give her any of these details.

 

"I can't tell you." I shake my head, resigning myself to this reality. To my surprise, Tachibana did not get angry. Actually, she seems more disappointed than angry.

 

"Malison said the same thing. There must've been something terrible in there if you can't even tell me." I'm actually a bit surprised that Malison couldn't say anything. In my mind, Red Witches are existences who are exceptional to any system put in place. After all, considering the memories I'd seen through Ascelin's eyes, they most likely existed before the Awakener System was invented.

 

"I'm sorry, I've had a hard time processing everything that happened myself. My body was moving on its own for the most part. Some of my memories are still foggy." I don't have a doubt in my mind that Tachibana knows this is a blatant lie, but it's the only answer I can give her that'd give this topic proper closure.

 

We share a moment of silence. I can feel her eyes burning through the back of my head in my refusal to look her way. 

 

"Why don't we go for a walk now that you're up?" I have a bad feeling about this, but I accept her offer nonetheless. It'd be more suspicious if I didn't.

 

※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※

 

I'm held over Tachibana's shoulder as we walk through the active camp. There are more people here than the one we ended up in once we'd landed. Tachibana said she'd explain everything when I can walk, but that was all a lie. She clearly isn't someone who likes to wait. If anything, this is a vacation for her, and by waiting I'd be using up her time.

 

Admittedly, I did attempt to walk when we first exited the tent. It didn't work out. I collapsed before I could finish three steps. My body is completely healed, yet my cognitive abilities have dampened. Every step I try to take is like a newborn deer's. 

 

"What do you want to know first?" Tachibana breaks our longstanding silence with a question. She said she'd explain everything, but I guess she wants me to talk to her. I wonder what's made her so interested in me all of a sudden—our last interaction in Eryland wasn't the best. It involved me first being beaten, then having my conscience violated.

 

"Can you tell me what's changed since I was last awake?" If I have options, I may as well make the most of them.

 

"Shoyca is currently being stormed by hundreds of Awakeners seeking fame and wealth. Your debacle—clearing the dungeon—caused everyone to go into a state of panic. For someone to clear a [War Dungeon] is a sign of rebellion against the world itself."

 

"Whugh- Jursh!" I choke on my words, producing sounds that weren't even possible. "A rebellion against the world?!" My face goes pale as I fully unravel Tachibana's words. Even if I wanted freedom, even if I wanted to become stronger; I'd never imagined myself making the world my enemy.

 

"Don't die on me, kid. You're in the clear right now. No one knows that you and Malison cleared the dungeon, I don't think they'd care at this point either. There've been hundreds of people going around this island trying to clear out as many dungeons as possible. As you know, Shoyca is the size of a continent, so that's no easy task." 

 

Tachibana adds something more comforting to her sentence. "Everyone is foraying dungeons, and the government is letting them. They can see the pros of both sides. Keeping Shoyca's dungeons untouched will allow an endless stream of supplies to be accessible at any time. Clearing out the dungeons means that humanity will have another island that can be inhabited and put to use—an island that did not exist before, mind you."

 

"So I've given a push for humanity to take action, and now they're split into two sides?" She chuckles when I ask this, but nods her head to agree. "You've started a war, little girl." Tachibana's words should make me uncomfortable, I should feel guilty upon hearing them... I cannot. My body, mind, and spirit all refuse to grant me a guilty conscience in the matter. 

 

After some time of thinking, I understand why I don't feel guilty. This is just the actions of humans. I've done nothing for over a month, and humanity has gone as far as to begin throwing their lives away for their own selfish gain. It's nothing new, they've done it for centuries. I guess being the catalyst is what made me think that I should feel bad.

 

"You're on the side of clearing the island, aren't you?" I look down at Tachibana, searching for some kind of reaction. This time, her reaction is not very obvious. Before, I could tell what she was thinking just from her expression, but now she has chosen to conceal these thoughts. "Fine, be that way." I childishly pout, crossing my arms over my chest. 

 

I begin to wonder when I'd ever done something like that. When did I ever become so childish? Overall, I should be an adult. I've taken on the shape of a teenage girl now, but in the life before this, I was a woman older than this. And in the one before that one, I was a young man who worked a job! Every time I enter a new body, Anaphiel alters my mind and memories to ensure that I can properly integrate into my new form. I suppose that I should be grateful, but now that my mind has been altered by something foreign, it's becoming uncomfortable to stay in this body.

 

I learned [Shapeshifting] before, didn't I? Maybe I should try using that sometime in the future. Not now, though. It's best if I discipline myself to endure these awkward situations. My brain will probably return to normal soon anyway. 

 

This is why the gods remove the memories of reincarnations. A woman speaks in my mind. I nod in agreement. There is nothing wrong with what she's said.

 

Tachibana's laughter reaches a new peak, finding my childish response to be entertaining. "You're just too much, kid! If it weren't for your class, I'd have probably given you a more normal job in Eryland. Same with that Malison brat, though she's a bit of a special case, even compared to you."

 

"How did you find Malison?" If I can still ask questions, I need to know this. I don't think I can stand not knowing the person who I've laid my life in the hands of on so many occasions.

 

"Toy Cesta." Tachibana continues to look straight ahead. Once again, I cannot read her expression. "That woman came to me one day with that kid and told me to watch over her. She said that she was her little sister who she needed to become stronger." That should be true. If both Toy and Malison are Red Witches, that means that they are indeed siblings. "I've been getting a lot of requests to watch over kids recently." Though it is through mumbles, I can make out Tachibana's words this time. Momentarily, her expression slips up, and I can see how she feels; anxious.

 

She is not feeling annoyed, she isn't feeling angry, but instead, she is feeling anxious about something. Her words make me curious, but I decide not to press any further.

 

Eventually, Tachibana softens her expression. "You two are under my care. As long as you are, I'll make sure that you stay alive, even if it means you have to get beaten up a bit." Although I question how true these words are, they hold much truth to them. In the face of the succubus, one of Madam Tachibana's mistresses arrived on the scene and saved my life when I'd had my intestines expelled. Even if I were close to dying, my life was still saved.

 

"I've been meaning to ask, but why do you have so many wives?" Tachibana, in a classic act of a Japanese troupe, assembled a harem of the most beautiful woman I've ever laid my eyes upon. Is it jealousy that makes me so upset about this fact? Do I wish that it could be me?!

 

Yeah. I've still got some fragrance of a man left in me, after all. The thought of having so many lovely women at my side still sounds appealing in this new body. With my adorable appearance, I might be able to draw the attention of some older women! Nope, I'm not that lustful, unfortunately. It's too late for me to begin a harem quest now, I have far too many things to worry about.

 

Instead of a harem, in both lives, I've found friends and a quasi-family. Tachibana is like a mother, Tabitha is like an older sister, and the same applies to Malison. Forrest... I'm not sure about him. He kind of reminds me of an uncle. I don't think I've spent enough time with him to consider him family. 

 

What happened to my family in my first body? What happened to my family in my last body? What about the family in this one? Do I have siblings? Did I have a true mother? As far as I'm concerned, all of these bodies were forged with memories attached to make living my life an easier task. That's partially the truth, honestly. There is something more to me that I can feel. I know that I have a mother, but I've never met her. My memories tell me that I've seen her, but I cannot even trust my own memories. After my first death, my memories were no longer my own. They belonged to Anaphiel; the Angels. 

 

My heart aches at the thought of the 'angels'. Ascelin must be able to respond, even if he's inside my soul.

 

Sorry, that child gets emotional when thinking of his past. You should understand his trauma, I hope. Ah, the voice again. It's fine. I understand how he feels, don't worry.

 

"Because so many women fell in love with me, obviously!" I've never seen Tachibana grin with this many teeth showing. As if she were possessed by a cheeky child, something about that grin makes me want to poke a finger through her eye. Is she snickering at me?! "Jealous?" Tachibana continues to tease me, and I cannot do anything in response. If I fall off her shoulder, I'd ram into the ground. 

 

If I could use my skills, I'd have done it already. Tachibana's not letting me use my skills. She claims that I should learn how to operate and fight without the assistance of any of my skills. I'm very confident in my abilities, but if she's telling me that I should improve them, there's no room to argue.

 

"Of course I'm not jealous! What kind of kid would dream of sleeping with so many women?!" I trip over my words, my attempts at hiding my flustered self now pointless. The woman just laughs at me, finding my reactions all too amusing. I think I'd be the same if I were in my Roshia body.

 

We keep walking around for a bit before Tachibana breaks our silence again. "Do you think badly of me?" There's something in her words that catches my words in my throat before I answer. She sounds... hurt. 

 

"Why would I? You saved me from becoming a slave to a homeless man." I don't know what she wants to hear, but I think it's best to reaffirm her integrity. 

 

"I purchased you as a slave, sent you out into danger at a young age, and lost you inside of a dungeon that you could've died in. Then, the next time I see you after all of that, you've gone feral." Her list of things does sound accurate, which catches me by surprise. I didn't think she had that much awareness of what went down around me. "You have every right to hate me."

 

There was no point in trying to think of something to comfort her, she was completely right. I had every reason to hate her, especially when she purchased me and threw me aside into the hands of Tabitha. "You've done something terrible to Malison and I, definitely." Tachibana doesn't even flinch at my words, but I see her head lower by a mere inch.

 

"But, we've also survived up until now, haven't we? We've both gotten so much stronger after experiencing so many things. You just gave us a push into doing something we'd have ended up doing in the future anyway."

 

Tachibana exhales, holding in her chuckle. I don't know how her mind works, but I really don't think that Tachibana wants to be hated by either of us. With the power to control and such a dominant personality, I'd have never imagined that Madam Tachibana was a woman who cared for her family to such an extent.

 

"Tomorrow, I'll make sure you kids become monsters. What you showed in that feral state of yours will look like a joke when I'm done with you. Understand?" Tachibana returned to her almost domineering self, turning her eyes to look at me over her shoulder.

 

I give her a reassuring smile, nodding my head in jubilation. "Of course! Then, once we've finished our training, we'll be sure to kick you down a peg!" I think I might've gotten too bold...

 

Fortunately, Tachibana thinks my words are amusing. "Oooh~ That's quite the challenge, child. I hope you can back those words up."

 

Finishing up our discussion, we walk for a few more minutes before turning back to head toward the tent where we'd left Malison. 

 

In the meantime...

 

Are you finally free? Again, that voice speaks! 

 

'YOU!' My vision turns white...

31