Chapter 1: Goddess of Life, Learenia
1.1k 9 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Have you ever question yourself whether you do have the courage to help someone while risking your life to do so? I thought I don't dare to sacrifice myself for others, especially a stranger, but reality proved me wrong because despite being unable to swim, I just risk myself to save an innocent girl from drowning and it did cost me my life for it.

Did I regret it? Not at all. Well, I do have some regret because I won't be able to see my parent ever again. I'm a gamer and an addict at that, but I still enjoy spending some quality time with society. Some people still ridicule me, especially the bragging neighbors, but I don't really care. If my parent doesn't hate me then that's enough for me.

When will my soul disperse, I wonder? How long has it been since I started talking to myself? Maybe I'm not even dead yet.

I tried to open my eyes but to no avail. All I saw was complete darkness.

After I don't know how long, bright light shone onto my eyes so I opened them again.

It's not complete darkness anymore. It seems like I am standing inside some strange chamber, with beautiful greenery and nature.

My almost transparent body started to walk along the stone path towards the inner chamber until I saw someone sitting on a wooden chair and drinking what seems to be a tea.

She has pure innocent green eyes and beautiful green hairs. A halo is hovering above her head and she has green feather wings attached to her back. Her beauty is out of this world, I would believe it if she introduces herself as a goddess.

She put down her teacup and turned her head towards me with a gentle smile.

"Hello Leon, I am the Goddess of Life, Learenia." she said with a melodic voice that could charm the world, no, the universe.

I was stunned and my body refused to move. I don't know how what my response should be.

Is this what you called love at first sight? Well, no one can blame me. Even girls would fall head over heels when they encounter a literal goddess before my eyes. Not to mention, me, being a man.

She gave me another gentle smile, "I know it's a lot to take in, but right now you're in heaven, specifically, my chamber."

I was pulled back to reality and blinked a fill times before I heaved a heavy sigh, "I see...

"What happens to the girl?" I couldn't help but ask that question.

She giggled and said, "She is safe, thanks to you."

I heaved another heavy sigh as if everything was lifted off my mind.

Before I died, there's heavy rain, storming in and flood the entire city. At that time, I was separated from my family because I was attending a gaming fair. After struggling to save myself, I spotted a girl being washed away by the flood. I know I'm stupid because I did nothing to secure myself before jumping into the water and swam like a drowning dog to reach the girl, but I succeeded in saving her life in exchange for my own.

Now that I think about it, that storm was very abnormal. I mean, was it even possible to flood an entire city in a mere 10 minutes without any warning?

"Yes, in normal circumstance, it's not possible at all in your world, " Learenia said with a melodic voice.

Did she read my mind just now? Well, as expected of someone who called herself a god.

"You doubt that I am a Goddess?"

I shook my head, "Not at all, I already accepted my dead so it's not that strange for me to be in an afterlife and meet an angel or a god, I guess."

"From your memories, you don't seem to be someone who believes in God though?"

"I believe what I see and you seem to be real"

"Is that so?" she replied and slowly stood up from her seat.

She walked towards me with elegant and beauty until she stopped from 2 meters away from me, "I have good news and bad news for you, which one would you like to know first?"

I replied without any hesitation, "Bad news."

"Okay, listen carefully. This is actually unrelated to you now because you are no longer living in that world. I already mentioned that the storm from your world was abnormal, right?"

I slightly tilt my head to the side and said confusingly, "Are you saying some evil god manipulated my world's weather or something?"

Her expression didn't change, but she started to explain, "To simply put, every world have their life-span, including yours.

"In ancient time, we, Gods, will let nature do its course, but intelligent races are more amazing than we thought.

"Their knowledge in Science and Magic allow them to surpass nature itself and overcome the limitations of their own world's life-span.

"Your world does not have Magic and your Science is not advanced enough to reach that point yet, but more than half of all the other worlds already did.

"So, instead of letting nature do its course, they interfere and change the rule of the universe.

"Now, the apocalypse will befall a world where intelligent races live in, however, the chances are not exactly random." Her voice seems to contain some anger at the end of her speech

Remembering something, she added on, "Also, your apocalypse is 'Eternal Flood'.

"Apart from having close to none island, some terrifying deep-sea monsters will also emerge on the surface and start their hunting on your race.

"Don't worry about it too much. To compensate, after surviving for some time, the survivors of your race will be granted Special Ability to protect themselves."

After hearing all she had to say, my first reaction is blank. Yeah, my mind stopped working, literally. That flood was more serious than I thought.

When she said 'the chances are not exactly random', it could mean that someone, let's assume they're scientists, mess with their or the world life-span excessively and the gods couldn't ignore it anymore. I shouldn't be saying this, but this is somewhat amazing because it means that our world technology reached the point where it could reform the nature itself.

Another thing, should I be envious of them because they get to use this Special Ability? Nah, suffering through being alive is harsher than being dead.

It's a bit strange though. Magic is somewhat understandable, but Science is based on the truth of nature so why would we get punished for it despite following its rules diligently?

I calmed myself down and asked something I'm curious about, "You said 'they'. What did you mean by that and why you're telling me all this?"

Her gazes moved downward and she replied, "I was referring to other gods in the 'Death' factions. You see, they are unhappy because intelligent races keep prolonging their life by using advanced Magic and Science so they don't have any work to do."

Just for that reason?! I'm shocked.

"Yes, just for that reason. They convinced neutral gods that an act of prolonging one's life is akin to that of the Gods', so the Mortals need to be punished severely." She said with some more anger.

I also sensed her anger, but what can I do? I continued to ask the same question, "Why are you telling me this?"

She looked straight at me again with some conviction, "Your good news is you will be granted another chance at life. Or you could also say, you will be isekai'd with your current body and memories intact."

This goddess seems up-to-date with Earth's memes... I thought inwardly and laughed.

She coughed to catch my attention and continued, "Originally, we wouldn't allow Mortals a second chance at life with everything intact, but after the unreasonable demands of destroying multiple worlds with the apocalypse, I proposed this idea to counter the balance in which they couldn't refuse."

"Counter the balance?"

She nodded, "It wouldn't help much with the situation, but at the very least, I am able to save some innocent Mortals, including you."

What a noble cause.. as if. I don't think that's the whole reason.

"Correct, but I can't tell you more than that as I might get punished for it."

"..It seems rather convenient to be able to read minds." I expressed my genuine feeling.

She shook her head with sadness in her eyes, "Not at all, having a Mind Reading ability made me a loner... No one wants to talk to me.."

Well, I didn't expect that answer. It has some truth to it though. No one would want to befriend a friend who could dig out all your secrets with a simple glance.

"So you think so as well?"

"No point in lying so I will say yes, I think so."

She sighed and continued with the explanation, "Before I send you to another world, I will allow you to wish for one thing to bring along. Whether it be a cheat, a house, or even a rainbow grass, I will grant it to you."

I think I heard a strange thing being mixed in there... Nevermind that.

I lowered my head and started to think. My most concern right now is my original world which is supposed to face its apocalypse day. If what she said is true then there's a very slim chance that my parents could survive. Hah, if the apocalypse is zombie then there might be a chance, but a flood? How can you survive in a flood with a herd of monster fishes anyway? Build a ship? It might be possible with some preparation, but a sudden flood? You could only dream.

I raised my head and asked her, "If I asked for my family, will you grant it?"

"Sorry, but I said 'one thing' so you could only bring one of them with you if you wish for it."

After some more considering, I gave up on it. Saving only one of them might bring them grief instead. I would be mad too if my sister is the one who's taking my place right now. I could imagine myself screaming at her, "Why would you bring me instead of mom or dad?! Why would you bring me instead of securing your safety by wishing for something that allows you to protect yourself?!"

Of course, all of this was just me assuming my their choice.

There's no right or wrong in this situation. Someone will definitely disagree with my choice here, but this is the choice I reached. Not to mention that by having no cheat at all, it might make both of us suffer more in the unknown world.

I believe that suffering while being alive is more torture than suffering when being dead.

Learenia does not interfere with any of my choice that's currently storming inside my head. She continues her observing until I could decide on the thing I want to bring with me.

After some time passed by, I raised my head and looked at her, "I wish for the power of Raven, my in-game character inside Quintet of Symphony, scaling the game's levels and stats with the real world."

Raven is my strongest character inside a game called Quintet of Symphony, an MMORPG game that's very popular for a long time. However, today probably marks its last service because of the 'Eternal Flood'.

She seemed to be taken aback and repeated my word as if mumbling, "Scaling the game's levels and stats with the real world?"

After hearing her response, I said with some disappointment, "It's not possible?"

As if trying to process something, she stayed silence with a blank look for the whole 10 seconds before revealing the widest charming smile I have ever seen on her beautiful face, "Hahaha! Of course, it's possible! I will grant you your wish!"

She seemed rather excited and happy about it.. to the point that I thought she has gone insane.

Learenia regained her composure and happily threw me something that looks like a refined ruby, "Take it, it will allow you to communicate with me privately when you descend into that world.

"We will talk later, right now, I need to quickly send you down there with your wish granted.

"The world that you will be isekai'd into is called 'Rejrnzo', a typical world in your trending novels with demon and stuff.

"Good luck!"

She rapidly and enthusiastically finished her sentences without leaving any room for me to say anything, then she snapped her fingers, and my consciousness gradually fades away.

18