Prologue: Chapter 4. The Spirits (I)
16 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A wooden balcony with two armchairs overlooks open wheat fields.

A boy runs towards an open field.

"Here it is again... running to play with his new friend..." muttered Li, the boy's mother standing at the balcony door. Her skin is white, her height and weight are average, and she has long black hair from the top of her head.

 "What was it again?" she asked.

"I don't know… looks like some weird doll... probably one of the other kids dropped it." Answered Sean. A tall man with black hair and wide shoulders, as he struggled to see his son from the armchair he was sitting on.

"Definitely weird… he said it moved yesterday… are you sure it's okay to let him play with it?" asked Li.

"Of course!" Sean confidently replied, "You know what dangerous games we would come up with when I was a kid?!" he asked proudly with a cheeky smile.

"We were bored. And so is he. Let him enjoy himself. He's just a kid. It's his imagination. If he's enjoying playing with it so much, I won't be the one to disturb him. And while he's there - resting in my favorite armchair won't hurt me." Sean smiled a wicked smile as he closed his eyes and leaned back.

"Whoa!" Kai, a 5-year-old boy with brown hair and big green eyes, exclaimed in wonder as he leaned down to look at the little doll.

The doll was standing on the floor, in a slightly different position than he remembered leaving it yesterday. It was plain looking. To Kai, it looked fluffy as a pillow. It was slightly rounded, more oval, being wide at the bottom and narrow at the other end. It was all white, except for a large black circle in the center of its head. Inside the black circle, is another white circle. The sight of the black circle on its head reminded Kai of a camera lens.

Kai picked up the doll in his hands. He hugged it tightly with a big smile on his face. He excitedly threw it into the air and watched it float slowly back down. He picked it up again and spun it around as fast as he can, as he held it in his hands. Smiling, laughing, and excited.

From the wooden balcony, Li suddenly saw a strong flash.

"What was that?!", she asked worriedly.

Kai's eyes closed.

Suddenly, there was a thump.

Kai fell face-plant to the floor with force. His body is straight as a board.

A blood-curdling scream escaped from Li's throat and was clearly heard in the open fields before them.

"Huh?!?!" Sean yelled startled, as he jumped up in panic from his nap.

He looked at his wife running and immediately ran after her."Kai!!!" Sean and Li exclaimed as they see his body lying on the fertile ground.

When they reached him, Sean turned him over to lie on his back.

"What happened?!" he asked in a panic. "I do not know!" answered Li, stressed and fearful. "Suddenly there was a flash and he fell!" She answered quickly and with concern. "Kai! Are you okay?! Talk to me!" Sean pressed as he held Kai's unconscious body and shook him lightly.

"My dear! His eyes!" shouted Li, covering her mouth with her hand. Trying hard to hold back the tears.

Kai's eyes were partially open. It was possible to see that each of them turned slightly in a different direction.

Sean saw it and understood immediately. A Stroke.

"We have to get him to the hospital now!" He stated.

Li looked at the unconscious body of Kai and couldn't stop the river of tears that broke out. But, she knew Sean was already used to it. Whenever she cried he was the one to calm her down, and she hoped it would be the same this time. But, when she recognized that he also had one next to the corner of his eye and his jaw locked tight, she understood the severeness of the situation.

"Kai..!" She wiped her tears with a trembling voice.

0