Lunch Tension
1.2k 9 61
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I found Dad sitting in a booth at a nearby Mimi’s Café, and I sat down across from him.

 

“It’s good to see you’re okay,” he said.  “I was worried after that attack. Cat said she didn’t know what happened to you afterward.”

 

“Yeah.  How much do you actually know about that ‘attack?’” I asked.

 

“Not much.  The police were saying it was some sort of gas leak, but the neighbors said they’d seen some huge dog or something.  I’m guessing, from what Catherine told me, the neighbors were more right than they realized.”

 

“Yeah,” I said with a grimace.  I didn’t have any lasting injuries from Fenrir’s attack, but the memory of the pain was enough.  “Look, you need to keep all of this on the down-low, okay Dad? I know there’s a lot going on, but you can’t be talking about this to just anyone.  There’s already-“ A waiter arrived to interrupt me. Dad ordered lunch for himself, and I just asked for a buttermilk spice muffin and some coffee.  Once the waiter was gone, I continued. “There’s already federal agents involved, and that’s on top of me being hunted by an evil god from folklore.”

 

“I just want you to be safe.  You’re my son!”

 

At that, I finally lost the fight to hold back what I’d been avoiding dealing with for so long.  “Don’t call me that. I never asked to be anybody’s ‘son.’” My eyes went wide as I realized what I had just said.  “I mean, you’re my dad, and I love you, but I’m still figuring out who I am independent of you and Mom.”

 

Dad seemed shocked by my outburst.  “I’m just worried about you, Chris. Your mother is too, and we just want the best for you.”

 

I gave a derisive laugh.  “I believe that you do, but Mom?  All she’s ever wanted is for us to make her look like a success.”

 

“That’s not true.  She cares about you and wants to help you be the best… person… you can be.”

 

This was going to be a tough nut to crack.  “Okay. When was the last time you had any meaningful disagreement with Mom?”

 

Dad seemed to think for a moment, then he shook his head.  “That’s not the point. Why should I disagree with her? She’s pretty much always right.”

 

I seized on that.  “Really, though, have you ever known anyone aside from Mom to be ‘pretty much always right?’”

 

“No, but…”

 

“‘But’ what?  That’s not normal.  She demands more from anyone in this family than she’s willing to put into it.”

 

Dad was silent for a moment.  He didn’t know what to say. I knew exactly what was going through his mind at that moment.  He was trying to think of a way to counter my argument but was failing. He would still believe Mom was always right, but I had planted the seed of doubt.  If I’m lucky, that seed will grow into a realization that perhaps I might not be right, but that Mom isn’t either. That’s all I needed him to see.

 

We finished our lunch in relative silence.  It wasn’t like we had quelled all conversation.  We chatted peacefully the rest of the time about inane subjects.  Dad was happy to tell me about his latest hobby of designing houses in The Sims.  I giggled. Dad was such a tech nerd, he could find joy in designing things, but when it came to actually playing the game, he couldn’t stand it.  People didn’t interest him much, I guess. Numbers, measurements, and aesthetics, though, those he could spend hours gushing about. I never quite understood what he was talking about, but it was always nice to see my dad smile.

 

When lunch was over, we left and I met up with Billie, who was waiting outside.  He had advised I not go anywhere alone for a while, reasoning that Fenrir was looking for an opportunity to catch me alone.

 

“Who’s this?” Dad asked upon seeing Billie.

 

“Oh, Dad, this is Billie.  He’s kinda my bodyguard for the moment.”

 

Dad’s eyes bounced between us for a moment.  “Is… is he your boyfriend?”

 

Billie and I glanced at one another silently, and then we both burst out laughing.

 

“As honored as I would be to be dating your daughter,” Billie said, wiping away a tear, “I don’t think either of us is the other’s type, sir.”

 

“Oh,” was all Dad could think to say to that.  “Uh, can I give you a ride somewhere?”

 

“That’d be good,” I said.  “It’s not a long walk to get home, but it would probably be safer if we got home quicker.”

 

****

 

After Dad gave us a ride home, we went inside, where Arey was waiting for us.  We had planned to do some research that afternoon to help us against Fenrir. I have to admit, Arey looked somewhat silly wearing a slightly too small t-shirt she had borrowed from Cat accompanied by a long skirt that only really managed to barely cover her knees, but it had to be vastly more comfortable in the warm Southern California weather than the fur tunic and leather pants she’d been wearing when she got here.

 

“We’ve really got to get you a more casual wardrobe,” I remarked with a chuckle.

 

Arey looked down at her shirt.  “What? I think the clothes Cat loaned me are quite fetching.”

 

“I agree,” I continued chuckling.  “I just don’t think you can be borrowing Cat’s clothes all the time.”

 

“She’s right,” chimed in Billie.  “You’re much bigger than Cat, and you’re going to need some clothes that fit properly if you’re ever going to blend in on Midgard.”

 

“You both could use some coaching,” I added.  “For one thing, nobody here calls it ‘Midgard.’  It’s ‘Earth’ to us.”

 

“Is everybody ready to go?” asked the unexpected voice of Cat.

 

“Uh, yeah,” said Billie, with an unsure note to his voice.  “But I didn’t think you were coming.”

 

“Of course I’m coming!” exclaimed Cat.  “I wouldn’t miss an opportunity like this!  How often does a human get to see another world?”

 

“I don’t think it’s a good idea, Cat,” I said.  “The Library is a safe place, but I really don’t want you getting too involved in this.  You’re still human, and we’re up against things I’m not even sure I’m capable of handling.  What would have happened if Fenrir had gotten hold of you when he attacked? I don’t know what I would have done.”  I was trying to practice the old puppy dog eyes, but I think I may have done it for real this time.

 

“But… I would have thought you’d want me to come with you, Chris?”  And then she did it again. For all the time I’ve known her, Cat has always had a commanding presence.  When she was angry, people followed her commands, despite her diminutive form. However, over the past three days, I had discovered she had a similar but far more potent ability when she wanted to appear to be caring.  Oh dear god, the puppy dog eyes are backfiring on me!

 

“Okay, you can come along.”  By all the gods in this or any other universe, I hope I’m not going to regret this.

61