Interlude 2: The Allfather and the Trickster
1.2k 2 55
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
This interlude takes place just after Odin leaves from Chapter 9: It's All About Style.

Odin stepped through the rift into the rookery.  Huginn and Muninn, his twin ravens, were getting hungry, and he had to cut his meeting with the new goddess short.

 

“Hello, little ones,” he said as he sprinkled food for the ravens to eat.  “You’ve been diligent in watching the realms, I take it?”

 

“Craaaawk!” came the ravens’ simultaneous response.

 

“Good!  Good. You do such good work,” the Allfather said, stroking both of the birds.

 

A third raven flew in through the window and claimed a perch.

 

“Ah, what’s this?  A new friend?”

 

The newcomer croaked a laugh as it descended to the floor of the rookery.  It enlarged and altered its shape until it took the form of a tall jötun man with friendly mutton chops trimmed into his white facial hair.

 

“Ah,” exclaimed Odin.  “Loki. You haven’t worn that face in a very long time.”

 

“I was feeling a bit nostalgic,” replied the Trickster, reaching out to pet Muninn’s head.  The raven snapped at his finger. “Ooh, nasty bird! Honestly, Odin, I don’t know why you like the company of these terrible beasts.”

 

“They keep me good company,” Odin retorted.  “And they are very clever. They keep an eye on the realms for me in places I cannot be.  Besides, you’re not exactly one to criticize anyone for their love of beasts, or do I need to go get Sleipnir from the stables to remind you of that little adventure?”

 

“What can I say?  Svaðilfari was one attractive stallion,” said Loki wistfully.

 

“To what do I owe the pleasure of your visit old… friend?”  Odin said that last word with a degree of contempt. Loki had been a friend for a very long time, even in spite of the prophecy foretelling Loki would become the enemy of Asgard.  It had been hard to believe such a thing until the day Loki had tricked one of Odin’s sons, Hodr, into killing Baldur, another of his sons.

 

“I just wanted to congratulate you on your masterful ploy,” Loki said with a bow.  “I have to admit, I had not expected the old bait and switch. But, then, I could not have foreseen there being a second candidate for my bride.  You’ve proven yourself a worthy opponent once again in our game.”

 

Odin tapped his glass eye.  “And you thought me a fool for my sacrifice.”

 

Loki nodded.  “Indeed, I admit you have defeated me in this round.  But don’t get complacent; I still have a few tricks up my sleeve.”  Loki chose that moment to vanish in a pillar of flame, a wolf’s howl in the distance.

 

Knowing Loki couldn’t have actually teleported out that way, Odin sighed.  “Honestly, Loki, always so dramatic. ‘So extra,’ as the Midgardians say.” He went back to feeding his ravens, and preparing for his next play.

55