Interlude 4: Arey
880 8 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Svartalfheim was a dark world, Arey noted.  Being a largely subterranean realm, there was no sun.  The alfar that lived here illuminated the caverns with bioluminescent fungus, which they also placed in various lanterns around their towns and gave them an eerie, turquoise glow.

 

Arey had come to one such town known as Hringdalir to meet with some contacts from the Guardians of Yggdrasil.  They had been scouting Loki’s followers to gather intelligence. As she walked through the streets towards the meeting place, she caught sight of her contact.  Not wanting to draw unwanted attention in case enemy spies might be watching, she simply waved, and the svartalf greeted her and invited her inside his home.

 

Once safely inside the house, Arey embraced the man in a friendly hug.  “It is good to see you again, Ulric. How have you been?”

 

“I’ve been well,” Ulric smiled.  “Audhild and I are expecting a child now.”

 

Arey gasped.  “That’s excellent!  How far along are you?”

 

Ulric stroked his pregnant belly.  “About three months is our best guess.”

 

“I’m so happy for you,” Arey said, beaming.

 

“Oh, but you didn’t come all the way here to hear about my family,” Ulric acquiesced.  “Audhild has made some tea.”

 

Ulric led Arey into the main living area of the house, where his wife was fussing over the stove.

 

“Ah, you must be Arey.  I’m Audhild. It’s nice to finally meet you.”  Audhild was a tall, willowy woman, with the same ashen skin as her husband.  She wore her snow white hair in braids that draped over her shoulders.

 

After shaking Audhild’s hand, Arey sat down at the table beside Ulric.

 

Ulric took a sip of the tea and then took a big bite out of a muffin.  He was DEFINITELY eating “for two.” “So, your message said you were looking for information, but didn’t say about what.

 

Arey shrugged.  “Right. Gotta keep the messages brief and vague, as you know, in case they get intercepted by the enemy.  I was wondering what you can tell me about Loki’s recent actions?”

 

Ulric mumbled something around his mouthful of muffin before swallowing and beginning again.  “Ah, yeah. Well, as you know, his minions in Midgard have been getting their asses handed to them since Fenrir turned against them.”

 

Arey chuckled.  “Yes, I’m aware.”

 

“Well,” continued Ulric, “as for the big man himself, there hasn’t been much action.  Our agents have determined that he’s spent a lot of time drinking with a new friend of his, but we don’t know who or even where.  It would seem Loki’s stumbled home very drunk recently a number of times, laughing hysterically.”

 

Arey’s brow knitted in thought.  “Hmm. I wonder why that would be?”

 

“According to our sources, Fenrir’s betrayal struck him pretty hard.  It sounds like he’s found a kindred spirit to commiserate with.”

 

“I see,” said Arey.  “I should get this information back to the others.  Thank you so much for the tea.”

 

After a quick hug to both Ulric and Audhild and congratulating them once again on their coming child, Arey opened a portal and left.

43