Chapter 3: Arriving at the Plaza
213 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A rather ordinary plaza, although quite a beautiful one, thought Hector to himself. The ground was entirely covered by bricks of a faded brown color with a tint of red, not quite making it apparent if the bricks original color had faded or if they were always this way. The central part of the plaza was raised by a level, separating it from the roads that surrounded it.

Inside the plaza, large white blocks on which plants grew from could be seen scattered around. While wooden benches in which people could be seen sitting on them would find their place here and there. In the center of it all, an exquisitely carved marble statue of a woman, somewhat reminiscent of the holy virgin in its mannerism, could be seen. From the hands of this statue that were held together and held out as though she was giving a gift to the world, water could be seen sprouting out from a gem on them.

Surrounding the plaza on three sides was an assortment of buildings without any space between them, except for at the corners of the plaza where roads leading to the rest of the city could be seen. The ground floor on seemingly all of these buildings appeared to be dedicated to stores or other businesses that offered services, maybe explaining the large traffic in the area. The fourth side of the plaza however, had a large church on its side instead, with the fountain of the woman at the center of the plaza facing directly away from it. The architecture of this church was very reminiscent of the gothic chapels that littered Europe and the New World. Looking up while covering the strong rays of the sun with his hands, Hector saw a clear blue sky as well as the bright sun that seemed to be directly above the city, making the time somewhere around noon.

Hector thought to himself that it was a rather beautiful sight, far more than he would have thought something from a city from era like this. Thinking again, Hector remembered that he didn’t exactly know what era this fantasy world was currently in, and had simply assumed it was either in the medieval or renaissance era. Although Hector could be forgiven for this as the view definitely pointed in such direction. Regardless, it wasn’t the scenery of the land that had finally convinced Hector beyond a doubt that he was in a fantasy world. No, it was instead the inhabitants of this world that had done it.

He did not know the date, or if it was a special occasion, so he couldn’t say if it was common for there to be so much traffic in this place. But at the moment, the plaza was packed with different people. And some of those people, weren’t exactly human in appearance. While the majority of those he could see where human, there was a very distinct group of non-humans around as well, and he did not mean that they had long ears like elves or animal ears. No, the description of animals on two legs would not be too far from the truth for these individuals.

Their faces were completely fur covered, and in the place where their noses and mouths were supposed to be, stood snouts instead. Albeit smaller than would be seen in animals of the same kind. Their hands were also covered in fur, and while they resembled paws in their thickness and soft red padding on their underside, they still had a human shape, allowing them to use their opposable thumbs to grab things. Otherwise he would have wondered how these beastmen even dressed themselves, for they were all fully dressed. They even had shoes on their feet, although beastmen certainly seemed to be wearing footwear a few sizes larger than humans.

Deciding not to stare at these people for too long, as it would be rather rude of him to do so, Hector began to shift his focus onto him. Mainly, about what to do in this new world he abruptly found himself in. He was thankful that he had appeared in a city, and not in the middle of nowhere. He didn’t have the convenience of gps on his phone to guide him, so not appearing in a populated area could have put him in a precarious situation from the get-go. He was also thankful he had clothes on him, and seeing what he was wearing, he was surprised that it was an outfit that he didn’t own. Instead of appearing with the last pair of clothes he had been wearing, he was currently wearing a white shirt with a black sleeveless vest over it, as well as black dress pants and shoes. Quite the fashionable choice if he had to say, and was very thankful to the voice for giving it to him. Although he didn’t really think the top hat on his head suited him, so he decided he would take it off later and carry it on hand. Right now, however, he needed both of his hands to search his pockets, for if they were empty he would find himself in quite a pickle.

And after searching all of his pockets, even inside his vest, he had discovered that he was in a pickle, for they were very much empty. This meant that he had no money on him, or anything else that could prove useful. He also lacked any knowledge of the history of the world and its formation. Although seeing the beastmen walking around, he doubted evolution was something that occurred here and wouldn’t be surprised if the world really had been made in seven days by the voice. Thankfully however, he wouldn’t have any issues communicating with the inhabitants, for he intrinsically knew that he could communicate with anyone, as it was one of the benefits of being a god.

Another perk of being a god, was that he could see the resonance of people’s souls. He couldn’t actually see their souls, but it was as if he saw this transparent aura surrounding everyone, and he could instinctively read it to gather information on whoever he was observing. Through that method he could tell the character of a person, whether they were honest and of upstanding character, or someone of more questionable nature. He could also tell the opinion they had on him by seeing how their souls resonated with his. This was something Hector thought would immediately prove very useful, as being able to tell if someone was lying or trying to take advantage of him would undoubtedly make getting around in this new world, a lot easier and less dangerous.

The next thing on his mind was to figure out exactly how powerful he was, for Hector wondered if 10 stat points for a god would really be the same as 10 stat points for a regular human, and was very much hoping they weren’t. Since he didn't exactly feel any different from normal, and had actually received his old body, Hector decided to jump as high as he could to see if there would be any unexpected results. Thus, preparing himself, Hector jumped as high as he could as he flew a bit less than two feet off the ground.

Seeing the rather lackluster results, Hector thought to himself ‘Yeah… that’s basically what I normally jump isn’t it? Maybe I have to focus my Ki-energy or my divine powers. Let’s try this one more time.’ Thus, focusing as hard as he could on this invisible energy that he might have, Hector ‘powered up’ for a whole minute before once more jumping with his full power. This time, achieving an elevation of an entire two feet, quite impressive compared to normal.

‘Nope, I don’t seem to have any special strength. I feel the same as I always did and I’m pretty sure I have the same level of athleticism as before. Although it might be a tiny bit better.’ Looking around, Hector noticed that a few people were giving him curious looks related to the theatrics he had just put on. Giving the onlookers a wry smile, Hector began making his way out of the plaza and into the rest of the city, not planning to stay standing like a fool in the plaza anymore.

As he walked around the city, continuing to let the reality of the situation sink in, Hector couldn’t lie that he wasn’t feeling some excitement about the future. He had lived a generic and common life to this point. Just going with the flow and doing whatever he was told. It was not until he entered university that he finally chose to prioritize his own future, and studied music instead of engineering as everyone had expected he would do. Granted, he knew his future prospects in life wouldn't be as good as a result of his choice, but he had decided that he wanted to pursue his passion. Maybe it was because of that that he was granted a divinity in music. Which if he was, he wanted to put a complaint to the voice that the raffle was quite misleading, as it gave him the illusion that he might have actually received an incredible divinity.

Nonetheless, Hector didn’t really mind. While he didn’t feel any stronger than he was earlier, he now knew that he truly was a god, and one in something that he loved. His understanding of music had massively improved, and he had an unshakable confidence in the subject that he had never felt before. He was confident that he could play any instrument, no, that he was a master at every instrument. That he could sing any song and had no parallel in the world. There was now a confidence in Hector that he had never felt before in his life. The confidence of a man who had no peer in the world. And while there were a few pressing issues that needed to be addressed, they could not damper the excitement Hector was feeling at the moment.

In a chipper mood, Hector made his way down the road to nowhere in particular. He admired the European architecture of the place, and was pleased that all the roads seemed to be paved. While the ones in the plaza were beautifully paved with bricks, he thought the stone paving that covered the rest of the city complimented the architectural style quite well. There were no sidewalks on the roads, with people and animals all walking in the same place, with the occasional cart that forced everyone to move aside passing by. The city seemed to be dominated by reds, browns, and greys, with the occasional odd color here and there. A sight, Hector felt was not unlike some of the sights he had seen before. Granted, he had never been in a place where animals seemed to be dressed and walking on two legs, with none of the population seeming to mind that, so it was only the architecture that produced such a feeling.

After walking in a straight line for a while, Hector found himself in front of a familiar, yet not familiar building. A wooden two story building with a large sign proudly stating: The Adventurers Guild. He had seen countless buildings such as this one in games, and was surprised at the fact that there were batwing doors on the entrance like a wild west movie. Hector wondered if the city didn’t experience winter, for such a setup would make it quite cold in that season, or maybe they just closed the entrance with a proper door, he wondered.

As he continued to stare at the entrance, a man dressed in armor came from behind him and asked him to make way. Moving out of the way to allow the man to pass through, Hector thought to himself, ‘Should I sign up as an adventurer? Right now my main worry is to find some money so I could pay for a place to stay at night. And actually, what better place to go to for making money than an adventurers guild.’ Thus, having decided to join the adventurer’s guild to start his great adventure, Hector made his way towards

Before entering, he looked behind him and noticed his reflection on the window in the store in front of the guild. Looking at himself, he remembered that he had forgotten to take off the rather ill-fitting hat and proceeded to do so. With his hat in his hand, Hector looked at his reflection on the window once more. Looking at his curly dark brown hair that was surely going to be more bothersome to take care of now, he thought to himself ‘Well, I actually think I look quite good. Wonder why that voice decided to give me this hat though, could have used a better looking one.’ Satisfied with his appearance, Hector made his way inside as he took his first step into a real adventurers guild.

4