Chapter 6: Proposal
191 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Despite the people around him seeming to be willing to go on forever, and there was a chance they would go on if Hector willed them to, Hector decided that the show must come to an end after two hours of festivities. By that time, the shops in the plaza were beginning to close down, and Hector was very much aware that guards had come by. Most likely to put an end to his little show, but unfortunately, or maybe fortunately for them, Hector’s divine music had caused them to join in instead of doing their jobs. Therefore, not wanting to be a nuisance, Hector stopped the party before it inconvenience the city anymore.

As he stopped playing his barrel, and flipped it over once more as a sign that the festival had come to an end, clear disappointment could be seen on the faces of quite a few of the people who had joined in on the fun, and some even begged Hector to continue. Before they could convince Hector, the guards, now released from their spell, soon began to clear out the plaza and drive all those around Hector away. But seemingly as a token of goodwill, they let Hector off with a simple warning as they told him that all public events must be approved by the city council first.

Thus, with the festival now over, Hector picked up his now rather heavy hat off of the floor that was filled to the brim with coins. Seeing the wide variety of colors in the coins, Hector had a wry smile on his face as he wondered just exactly how much each coin was worth. 

Not too long after having picked up his hat, a tall tanned man with black hair in his thirties approached Hector. He was clean shaven and had sharp dark brown eyes which contrasted with his energetic smile. However, taking a closer look at the man’s face, Hector thought that the man’s expression was like that of a hunter who had found his prey. The man was wearing a red shirt along with a tan coat, accompanied by black trousers held by a white belt, a rarity in a time where cleaning clothes could be a hassle thought Hector, although magic might make such a troublesome task simpler. 

While the man’s expression unsettled Hector, he was also able to tell from the resonance of his souls that he didn’t come with any ill-intent. Thus, Hector patiently waited for him as the man noticed that Hector had noticed him and smiled brightly in return.

“Fantastic show my friend!” Said the man as he spread out his two arms in a rather dramatic fashion.

“Thank you.” replied Hector. 

“No, no, I truly mean it. I have never seen such a powerful style, such an incredible rhythm in all my years.” Continued the man as he very liberally used his hands to aid in his description. Then introducing himself, the man said,“The name is Marko Lukacic. Now tell me my friend, who are you, and just where do you come from?”

Not knowing how to exactly answer such a question, Hector took a momentary pause to think about his answer before coming up with an answer. Deciding to use his answer as a way to test out a conjecture of his, Hector answered, “I’m Hector, Hector Dubois. As to where I come from, there’s not really a place where I come from. I’m a traveler you see, although I was born in Tours if you want to say that that’s where I come from. Have you heard of it?”

At Hector’s answer, a surprised expression painted itself on Marko’s face as his put his right hand on his chin and answered, “Tours? Of course I have heard of it, I had a suspicion that you were from one of the gallian cities. Hector, you must have traveled to quite a few places in your journey, haven’t you? Tell me, what brings you all the way to Szeged?”

The man’s response confirmed one of Hector’s conjectures, and that was that this world seemed to share a geographical make up to his own. In all honesty, it was a bit too similar to his own, and he was very tempted to ask the voice if this coincidence was caused by him. After all, while the areas may have the same name, the inhabitants were not all that similar, especially the non-humans one. He also wanted an answer about the languages of this world, as he was now completely certain that the language he was speaking was Magyar. Hector’s conjecture at the moment was that this world was designed by the voice using his world as a basis., Which made things a bit more familiar and easier for Hector, but also brought a great deal of questions about the seemingly artificial history of this world. 

Deciding to worry about this matter later, and not leave the man in front of him waiting for too long, Hector answered, “Nothing in particular really. This is just where my whims took me next. I enjoy traveling around, and make a living off of music.” Then, holding out his hat, Hector said rather cheekily, “And as you can see, it can be quite profitable if the situation is correct.”

Laughing out loud at his response, Marko slapped his hands in an exaggerated manner before saying “Yes, you are right my friend, you are very right. And that’s exactly what I want to talk to you about.” Then leaning closer towards Hector, Marko adopted a slightly more serious tone as he asked, “Tell me Hector, how much would it cost me to have you work for me.”

Hearing Marko’s question, Hector found himself a little dazed and nervous. After all, he had no knowledge of the system or value of money in this world, and admitting to such a thing could be rather troublesome. Deciding to not let the man notice his inner worries, Hector put on a pensive expression as he closed his eyes. Now that he was able to think about it in peace however, Hector found that the problem wasn’t as serious as he thought. Thus, coming up with a plan, Hector opened his eyes and answered, “Depends what you mean by that question. Do you want me to perform for you? At a venue? Or do you want me to work with you on music. Which one are you asking me about?”

“All three my friend.” Replied Marko with a grin on his face as he held out three of his fingers.

At this answer, Hector was momentarily at a complete loss. Thankful for him, however, Marko seemed to interpret it in a way that was beneficial to Hector as he quickly said,

“Ah no no no no, don’t worry Hector. I’ll make sure to pay you what your services are worth and more. Here, how does 15,000 plutus for a month of work sound. Not counting the profit sharing from your performances of course.”

“I take it you plan me to spend a good amount of my time with you?” Responded Hector in an amused tone. Although truth be told, he wasn’t sure what to make of this amount. Thanks to being able to read the resonance of Marko’s soul, he was able to tell that Marko honestly believed this to be a good amount and had no plans to take advantage of Hector. In fact, the amount may be even a bit more than normal in an effort to make the deal sweeter for Hector. That was why Hector chose to answer in a rather vague manner. One that would allow Marko’s imagination to interpret Hector’s answer however it chose to.

And Marko’s expression seemed to turn rather complicated at Hector’s response, and looking at Hector in the eye, he said. “Ohhhh, look, I promise you… Ah, my friend, forgive me. I run a little establishment over in the entertainment district. I can assure you that despite its size however, It is a very well known and reputed establishment, so you can expect great results from performing there. I can tell that you are a man of great talent. And that style you bring here, absolutely incredible. I tell you Hector, I’ve never heard anything like it before! You must tell me where you learned of it. Ah, but first, as I was saying, I know the price might not be a bit short for monopolizing your time, but I promise you… I promise you Hector, that the people you will meet, the people I can get you to meet, and the places I can get you in will be worth it.” Then, putting his hands together and adopting a pleading tone, Marko looked Hector in the eye as he begged, “So please Hector, please work with me!”

Hector continued to observe Marko, and saw that Marko was being completely earnest in his proposal. While many a choosing beggar would offer an artist payment in exposure back in his world, much to the chagrin and annoyance of said artists, this was not something like that all. Hector was going to be paid what appeared to be a reasonable wage, along with the profits gained from his performance. Not only that, but the exposure and connections he would gain were simply an added bonus, not the payment itself. And making connections had value in this world, as it might prove to be his ticket into the Musician’s guild, and might already be capable of if Marko had enough clout, although he didn’t think that was the case. While Hector was now confident that he could gain himself exposure by just playing outside, and attract the attention of reputable individuals, it wasn’t certain that he would come across a person the guild would approve of. At least, not as fast as Marko seemed to imply he would be able to by working with him. And truth be told, Hector also thought that it was a bit beneath the god of music to reduce himself into a simple street performer, such a thought a result of the new pride he had gained after achieving godhood.

The man in front of him looked to be a man of good character, and was offering him an opportunity for employment and to meet new potential connections that might prove useful in the future. Thus, deciding not to let this opportunity slip, Hector put out his hand as he said, “Alright Marko, I think It would be a good idea to work with you for the next month”

With his eyes lighting up, Marko’s predatory glance reappeared as he eagerly grabbed Hector’s outstretched hand with his two, and began to shake with a bit more force than necessary as he answered, “Ah yes! Perfect! Then, follow me my friend!” Before he could drag Hector along with him, Marko suddenly stopped as though he suddenly remembered something, and turned to Hector to ask, “Ah, sorry Hector. Do you already have plans for the night? I can always meet you somewhere tomorrow”

Letting out a smile, Hector responded, “Actually, I don’t have a place to spend the night at. I just arrived to this city today and was planning to search for a hotel right now.”

Letting out a large smile which seemed to spread from ear to ear, Marko looked at Hector with excitement as he said, “Then Hector, let us go to my place tonight. There is a lot we have to talk to about tonight!”

Although Marko had rather selfishly decided that the two would spend the entire night talking, it wasn’t something that Hector really minded. After all, for the god of music, sleep was something optional. Thus, following the very excited Marko. The two made their way towards his lodging as soon, a discussion that would revolutionize the world of music would occur in a simple and humble brick house… 

5