The Trek of Two Mysteries – Chapter 5
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun hung low in the sky as Luga, Carter, and Mani, the trio bound by their journey through the Wild West, trudged wearily towards a distant ranch Luga had only heard of. Their boots kicked up plumes of dust as they walked, the horizon beckoning with the promise of shelter for the night.

With each step, the ranch drew nearer, revealing itself as a rustic yet inviting haven amidst the untamed wilderness. As they approached, their anticipation turned to shock and dread. The ranch, a picturesque vision a short while ago, was now engulfed in roaring flames.

The men quickened their pace, their eyes wide with concern, and the acrid scent of smoke stung their nostrils. The once-beautiful ranch house was now a skeletal structure, its wooden beams creaking and cracking in the merciless blaze. The surrounding barns and stables were consumed by fire, the livestock within surely facing a tragic end.

With hearts heavy and their survival instincts kicking in, they scanned the area for signs of life. Their eyes caught sight of a man, the ranch's owner, desperately attempting to douse the flames with a bucket of water. His face was etched with despair as he fought a losing battle against the inferno that threatened to consume everything he held dear.

Luga, Carter, and Mani rushed forward, their hands grabbing buckets and pails to join the desperate effort to save the ranch. They formed a chain, passing buckets of water with determined focus, their backs aching from the grueling work.

The fire, a relentless adversary, crackled and roared, but the men's resolve burned just as fiercely. Sweat and soot marred their faces, their muscles strained, and their breaths grew labored. With each passing minute, their actions sent a message that they were united in a common cause, bound not only by their journey but by the inherent sense of duty to help a fellow soul in distress.

Finally, as the moon ascended into the night sky, the flames began to relent, flickering and waning. The ranch's owner, exhausted and tearful, embraced the three weary travelers, their faces illuminated by the smoldering ruins of the ranch. Carter broke the silence.

"How did this happen Franky?"

The rancher took a deep breath as he moved his scruffy ginger hair out of his face. "Man Carter I was out getting some water from the well but when I came back there was three of these outlaws stealing my horses. I tried to stop them but they lit the apple tree near the porch and just..."

Carter nodded and backed away with his shotgun now clutched. Carter then spoke

"Did they take all your horses?"

Franky took a sharp inhale as he spoke "They didn't but I doubt any are still alive..."

Everyone knew the severity of the rancher's situation. Years of effort and money all burned up in smoke, Carter sighed as he looked at his horse. If he wanted to chase the outlaws he would have to leave Luga and Mani behind only to duel with at least three men on his lonesome. Carter sighed as he said

"What direction did you see them go?"

Franky still shaking from the ordeal, pointed in the direction the outlaws had gone after setting his ranch ablaze. Carter with eyes full of debate said. 

"Luga, Mani you go after the bandits on foot. I need to stay here to guard the town and help Franky rebuild, if you can't find them or their hideout in a day or two then come back here. Mani listen outlaws aren't like the ones in the stories... be careful kid."

Luga noticed that lack of warning for him but he wasn't shocked. He looked at Mani who was talented but inexperienced, he sighed and said.

"Well Mani... if you want to get those outlaws then we should start walking."

Mani looked at Carter and with a simple head he started walking towards the directions of the outlaws. Luga with a deep sigh pushed down his Stetson hat as he began to walk.

Quickly the moon fell and the sun rose, Mani's consistent small talk somehow led them to continue walking through the vast desert all night. As they walked the through the beating heat of the sun Mani started some small talk.

"So Luga... why did you even agree to this"

Luga casually sighed "I want the bounty these ruffians have."

Mani accepted that answer and continued his talk "So Luga... did you start this bounty hunting for the money or something else?"

"Money" Luga said in a matter of fact statement. Mani gave an annoyed sigh hoping that Luga had a more interesting story, Luga then asked his own question.

"If we find them what is our plan... if we all fire at once they will still have one man standing"

Mani chuckled as he reached into his own coat and pulled out another revolver that was identical to the one on his waist. He then said

"This is my backup, I didn't really trust you but seeing you struggle to help the rancher I'm confident that you have a good heart."

Luga gave a soft tsk as he spoke "It's always nice to have a back up plan, did the sheriff teach you that one?"

Mani shook his head and proudly proclaimed "Nope idea was thought of by my lonesome."

Luga nodded in earnest surprise as he patted Mani on the back. "You got a smoke on you, I forgot to restock on them"

Mani chuckled "Nope, I don't smoke"

Luga eye's slightly widen in shock "That's unusual... well eh"

Mani then reached into his coat and took out a small bullet which he held between his index and pointer finger, just like a cigarette. The bullet slowly morphed from it's yellow color into a relaxing sky blue. Mani spoke

"Well I have some extra bullets, want to try a small challenge?"

Luga raised his eyebrow despite it being hidden under his hat. "How does the challenge work"

Mani had a giddy smile "It's simple" Mani then reached into his jacket and pulled out a coyote tooth "I toss this tooth into the air, then you got to shoot it"

Luga sighed as he asked "When did you get a coyote tooth?"

Mani rolled the coyote tooth around in his palm "When Carter and I hunted those coyotes I took a few"

Mani then held the coyote tooth like a cigarette before it slowly started to turn from it's clean white into an a very soft light blue. Mani then spoke 

"Sadly the tooth can't hold to much magic in them but it works."

Mani then flung the tooth into the air before saying with a deep voice "Fire!"

Immediately Luga quickly pulled out his revolver, the metallic clap of his gunshot rang through the desert, all targeted at the coyote tooth flying through the air, the bullet flew through the air with a plume of fire quickly following behind. In a breathtaking twist of fate, the bullet's path crossed the trajectory of the pebble, its streak of fire narrowly missing the tiny airborne target. The tooth, caught in the fiery wake of the speeding bullet. Steam flew out from the combination of water and fire, as the tooth seemed to dance within the line of destruction , miraculously untouched by the blazing bullet.

Mani spoke "Oh so close, want to try again?"

Luga silently nodded his head as he reached into his jacket and retrieved a red bullet which he used to quickly reload his gun. Luga then reached into his jacket and a minute later he grabbed out another bullet. 

"Hey Mani, want to trade each other a bullet?"

Mani nodded and pulled out a blue bullet of his own which they quickly swapped. Luga and Mani shared a quick smile before saying 

"Let's set up a camp and go to sleep."

The duo wandered around the desert for around thirty minutes until they found a small dead tree around their heights. The moon slowly started rising so Luga sighed and grabbed the trunk with both hands and after a minute later he fell back on his back with a chuckle. The tree then slowly started burning from the point where Luga held the trunk. Luga closed his eyes and placed his Stetson hat to the side. He hid his gun beneath it.

"Night Mani."

Mani without thinking sat down and fell asleep with the large tree now crackling as it was completely engulfed in flames. Both of them knowing practically nothing about their past but with full faith in their shared journey. Neither of them stayed up on guard due to their lack of sleep the previous night, which both would soon come to regret.

0