Chapter 089 – Returning Home
1.1k 6 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[298 AC]

Appearing in a small bedchamber on Starfall in a shower of embers, Phenex gaze turned towards the bed, a small smile settling on his face as he saw Arianne and Missandei huddling up against each other under the quilts.

After the wedding, Phenex had gone back to Volantis, where he had married Missandei and Rhaella in the same fashion as he had Arianne, though their ceremony had been even more private and it had taken place in the temple gardens.

He knew that it was important for them to have this ceremony with him and it had been the right thing to do, as even though his lovers weren't of envious or jealous nature, he didn't want them to feel any less important to him than Arianne.

They weren't his mistresses after all but genuine lovers, like the Dornish Princess was.

Marrying them also wasn't something he did just for show, but as a sincere gesture of devotion and affection, and he desired to be with them for as long as they lived.

Kinvara was a different story altogether though, as the centuries-old sorceress did not need a ceremony to know how important she was to him, the flaming ring on her hand reminding her of that every waking moment, while her life's experiences also made her vastly different than any other woman Phenex had ever met.

Rhaella had also gotten pregnant a few weeks ago, so this small and intimate wedding ceremony had come at a good time and had left her practically glowing with uncontainable happiness.

He had then taken Missandei with him back to Sunspear, where they had set sail for Starfall as he had promised his uncle.

Phenex had wanted to show Arianne and Missandei all of Westeros for their honeymoon, as even the Dornish Princess had never really left the desert kingdom before she had come to Essos, to speak nothing of Missandei.

There had of course been occasions where Arianne had traveled to the Reach or Stormlands to attend a banquet or wedding when she had been much younger, but this had been years ago and even then she had never gone very far.

Missandei and Arianne also were of roughly the same age and had become friends over the years they had spent around Phenex, something he was very grateful for.

The two of them did have a very different upbringing after all, so he had not been sure how much of a bond they could form. But it hadn't taken much time for the passionate and energetic Princess to take a liking to the quiet beauty from Naath.

Their personalities seemingly complementing each other very well, as they had spent many hours together while still in Volantis, strolling through the streets and markets of the First Daughter, playing games together, or simply relaxing in the temple gardens.

It was also for this reason that Phenex had decided to take them both on this little trip, instead of showing them Westeros one at a time.

Of course, he returned to Volantis for a few hours every day to accompany Rhaella and their unborn child, while also spending some time with his favorite priestess.

Phenex had just returned and the scene of Arianne and Missandei cuddling with each other under the quilts was something precious and memorable.

The bed they were sleeping in was the same he had rested in with his mother when he had been a child, as he had grown up in this small courtyard and had lived here together with her before her death.

Looking at the lower end of the bed, Phenex saw one of Missandei's adorable feet sticking out from under the blanket. Gently tucking it back in, he left the room quietly to sit in the grassy yard outside the small house near the cliff.

Coming back here felt strange and somewhat painful to Phenex, but he was also glad that he had done it and especially so that he had brought Missandei and Arianne. Seeing life return to the home he had lost after Allyria's suicide, made him remember all the beautiful and precious moments he had shared with his mother.

Gazing into the distance, as a nightly breeze blew around him, Phenex could almost hear his mother's laughter echo in his ears, and as he closed his eyes, he saw her gentle smile and loving eyes.

He returned from his short reverie, as Missandei quietly appeared before him, clad in only a thin robe. Kneeling down, the golden-eyed beauty didn't hesitate to move between his legs and huddle up against his chest, looking up at him lovingly.

Are you alright, Phenex?”, she asked softly, worry present in her features, as she tenderly caressed his cheek with her gentle fingers.

Missandei was always very perceptive of his mood and knew that coming here had probably opened up some old wounds in his heart.

Smiling gently and wrapping his arms around Missandei's small waist, Phenex pressed his forehead against hers for a moment and left a light kiss on her tender lips, before he answered quietly: “Now I am.”

With rosy cheeks, Missandei smiled back at him, as Phenex turned and faced the distant starry sky again, his hands softly caressing his lover's side as they watched the night slowly turn into day together.

Dawn, as always, came eventually.

[298 AC]

"It has been more than a decade since the Wall had visitors from that far south.", Jeor Mormont greeted the three strangers in his study, "I believe your uncle, Prince Oberyn, was the last Dornishman to set foot in Castle Black for the last thirty years."

"Well, my uncle loved to travel in his youth, even though most Dornishmen would rather avoid this kind of cold, Lord Commander.", the Dornish Princess replied with grace, her caramel skin a very rare sight to see this far in the North.

The fact that another woman with equal beauty and skin colour was also present, was something even rarer.

"This time I came with my husband to see all there is to see in Westeros before returning to Dorne.", she ended, as she gazed at the man beside her.

Clad in all black with two swords at his waist and a wide fur coat on his broad shoulders, the new Sword of the Morning made for an imposing sight with his deep purple eyes and the raw presence surrounding him.

Jeor Mormont was rather well-informed of the happenings in the Realm as the old Maester in Castle Black had messages sent to him from all over the Seven Kingdoms, so the Lord Commander knew very well who the young man was.

Phenex Dayne, nephew of Arthur Dayne, former Sword of the Morning and best swordsmen of his generation. The young man likewise held the title of Sword of the Morning and it was rumored that he was even better with the blade than his late uncle, though no one had ever seen him wield it.

In fact, no one had even known he existed until a few months prior when he had married the Dornish Princess and the Red Temple had made it known that he was the greatest of their Commanders.

Considering what Jeor had heard of the power that the Red Temple held, he could only guess how capable the young man before him was.

Nevertheless, it wasn't uncommon for nobles to visit the Wall and the Lord Commander would never reject guests, as such a thing was unthinkable in the North. He also hoped that his continued hospitality would net the Night's Watch some support from the visiting nobles like it had done in the past.

No matter where the nobles came from, it made no difference to the Night's Watch, as they urgently needed allies with their current state being what it was.

Nodding at the young man, Jeor addressed him: "I have seen your uncle at a tourney in Riverrun once. He fought Prince Rhaegar Targaryen for the title in the melee. It was one of the greatest fights I have ever witnessed."

I remember being told of this tourney by my mother.”, Phenex answered with a calm smile, “My uncle lost against the Prince, if I remember correctly.”

"Ah yes, the Prince himself was one of the greatest swordsmen of the Realm after all. The outcome though hardly mattered, as they both fought with such skill and grace, either one could have won the battle. It was luck at the end that made the Prince victorious.", the Lord Commander recalled.

Hmm, maybe it was.”, Phenex acquiesced with a nod, “We won't be imposing ourselves for more than a few days, Lord Commander. Though we would like to step on the other side of the wall for a bit, if it is no trouble.”

Normally the gates to the lands beyond the North wouldn't be opened casually, as there was always some risk involved in doing so, especially from wildlings.

There had been enough instances in the past, where they had attacked during the opening of the gates, causing many casualties for the Night's Watch. This was also the reason why the trees in the surrounding area near the Wall had been cut down by the Watch.

Frowning slightly and thinking it over for a moment, Jeor replied: “In three days a few rangers will leave to scour the lands near the Wall for a few days. At that time you can go and have a look, but I implore you to not go too far and come back quickly. The dangers beyond the wall are more than just wildlings and even they are a serious threat."

"It's okay, we will not go far and just visit the weirwood nearby before returning.", Phenex announced , being able to feel the darkness and cold beyond the wall clearly.

The White Walkers were already gathering their army of undead and the wildlings were getting more and more desperate in their desire to escape them. It wouldn't be long before they would start their assault on the Wall.

The danger beyond the Wall was slowly growing and increasing to certain death, though with him being here, there was nothing to worry about.

A wave of his hand would be all that was necessary to turn every White Walker into steam as none could escape his judgement if he chose to act, something he did not plan to do for now though.

35