Chapter 5: Where The Heart Lies
47 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

It was a beautiful summer day. The birds were chirping, the wind was calm and soothing, and the sky was free of clouds allowing the sun, nearing its zenith to shine its warm light on the entirety of the kingdom of Morningstar. It indeed was a scene that should heal a damaged soul. And yet the illuminated nation was drowning in a sea of despair.

“They” were coming. The “Demons” of the dark world were slowly pushing the proud warriors of Morningstar back. It was only a matter of time before the Kingdom; no, the entire continent is consumed by darkness.

The resident of Morningstar spent these dark days with fear in their hearts. But there was one place that was untouched by this darkness. “Hearts And Flower,” is the name of a little store nestled in the corner of a bustling plaza. It is here, where hope still shines brightly.

Chapter 5

Where The Heart Lies

“Lunch is ready! Come and Eat!” A voice fraught with warmth and love travel through the first floor of the cozy store, to the second, and out a slightly open window, where a little girl dangles precariously off the window ledge.

Through the eyes of this little girl, the world was nothing more than a giant playground, design to be explored. And today, she found a new way to enjoy herself. Ignoring the concern gazes of the passerby, she hums to herself, taking in the view of the inverted world before her.

“Catherine, lunch is ready!” Her cat-like ears twitch with joy the moment she heard the familiar and lovely voice.

“I’m coming!” Catherine shouted back, grabbing the pipe below her window. After confirming she had a tight grip on it, she lifts her body in the air. The crowd below gasp as they watch the little girl perform a handstand on a rusted pipe that looked like it could fall apart any second. But despite bearing Catherine’s entire weight, the /pipe didn’t bend or even creak. The crowd cheer as they watch the little girl gracefully lower her body. The applauses filled Catherine’s prideful little heart with joy and made her want to show off more of her acrobatic skill, but she knew it was bad to keep people waiting. So, she reluctantly climbs back into her room and swiftly made her way downstairs.

The smell of delicious food guided her straight to the kitchen, where a woman who wore a smile that exudes kindness stood, waiting for her family. A gentle breeze snuck in through the window and caressed the woman's body, causing her brunette hair and dress to sway gently. Deborah Heart is the name of this beautiful woman.

Catherine stares silently at her, basking in her beauty.  Even after living with her for seven years, she still found it hard to believe that this was her mother.

They were the complete opposite. Deborah’s cream color skin was smooth and free of blemishes, and her amethyst dress snuggly hugs her body, enhancing her womanly features and beauty. While Catherine’s chestnut color skin was cover with bruises and scratches, and her white dress was caked with mud. The mother’s smile vanished when she noticed her daughter's terrible appearance.

“Catherine.” She said in a gentle voice with a bit of ire sprinkle in. “What did I tell you about ruining your good clothes?”

“But you keep making me wear white,” Catherine whined.

“That’s because you look really good in them.”

“The boys don’t think so. They keep making fun of me.” Catherine crossed her arms, annoyed. The embarrassing memory of the boys flipping up her dress and revealing what underwear she wore to the world, was still fresh in her head.

“They’re probably making fun of you because they like you.”

“What? Eww!” Catherine stuck her tongue out, pretending she was going to vomit. Catherine was still at the age where boys and girls saw each other as enemies rather than anything romantic.

So innocent. Deborah thought while petting her daughter’s head. Sensing that she was being made fun of, Catherine puffs out her cheeks to show her displeasure of being looked down upon, but her tail wags happily, revealing she was enjoying her mother’s head pat.

My God, how did I get so lucky? Deborah’s mind rewinds to the day when she gave birth to this little ball of cuteness. Looking back at the joyous moment, it bothers her greatly that her first reaction when she saw her daughter was fear. But who could blame her? Being born as a human, and ignorant of her husband’s origin, it was natural that she would at least be shocked when she saw her baby was a beastman. But, seeing the baby crying and clinging to her, she quickly understood that even though she didn’t look anything like her, and she posses a tail and ears that didn’t belong to a human, it was still her baby girl.

“Mom?” Catherine’s voice snaps her mother out of her daydream. “Where’s dad?”

“He’s probably still in the back. I bet he so caught up in his work he didn’t even hear me.” Mom said with an exhausted sigh. It wasn’t unusual for Catherine’s dad to get lost in his work. But lately, he’s been more distance than usual. Catherine assumes it had something to do with the war the adults keep murmuring about.

Sensing her mother’s worry, Catherine grabs the hand that was patting her head. “I’ll go get him.”

“Tell him if he takes too long, I’m giving his share to you.” Catherine, now somewhat motivated to not tell her dad about lunch, heads to the backyard.

The sun was the first to greet her when she opened the back door. The second was the smell of dirt, which overwhelm the delicious aroma that engulfs the house. But Catherine found the scent pleasant since it meant her dad was nearby. And indeed, there he was in the middle of the garden, tending to the flowers.

Ethan Heart, Catherine’s father, was unlike his wife, his appearance was anything but graceful. His overall was cover in dirt, and his dark skin was drench in sweat from working under the scorching sun all day. But that was one of the reasons why she loves her dad. Compare to her mother, who looked like she came from a noble family. It was easier to tell they were related. His features were identical to hers, all except for her cat-like ears and tail which he lacks. Just like his wife, he too was shocked when he saw his daughter for the first time. Raised in an orphanage, he never meant his parents, or even knew that the blood of a beast course through him. He grew up believing he was fully human until he saw his daughter. And yet despite this grand revelation, just like his wife, this did not stop him from loving his daughter.

“Dad.” A warm smile spread on Catherine’s face. Just looking at her father’s back was enough to make her safe.

Not wanting to disturb his work, she silently approaches him, careful as to not stray from the stone path, as it would result in her stepping on the flowers and bushes her father painstakingly planted. Usually, the backyard would be filled with bright and colorful plants each one separated by fences. But lately, her father been replacing these beautifully bright plants with darkish purple bushes with heart-shaped fruits dangling from the branches. Needles jutted from the fruits, piercing anyone stupid to enough to eat them.

Catherine remembers that her father told her that the fruit and needles were both poisonous and deadly to small creatures. While for humanoid creatures, they work perfectly well as an anesthetic, hence why they’re called “sootheberries.”

Catherine was proud that she remember what her dad told her about the fruit, but she didn’t understand why he was planting so many. Even though the plant was effective for treating injuries, most people avoided them because of how dangerous the needles were. If even one of them pierce a person’s throat, it will cause massive swelling, which would most likely result in suffocation.

Curious, she silently watched her father meticulously pluck the needles off the fruit, tossing them into a bucket. “What you planning on doing with them?” Catherine unintentionally let her curiosity slip out her mouth.

“!” Ethan jumped slightly, unaware that his daughter was standing next to him the whole time. “Oh, Cat.” His shock expression melted into a warm smile. “I plan on giving these to the soldiers that protect us.”

“Soldiers.” Catherine frown when she heard that word. So, this is about the war. She thought. Catherine didn’t like hearing about the war, because the adults always looked scared when they talked about it. She believes it was the adults’ jobs to give kids courage when they were frightened, but if they too were terrified, then what hope was there?

“Dad, are you scared?” She asked nervously.  To her, her father was an invincible hero. She believes he can easily beat any monster or demon that invaded their town. It was impossible for him to be scared. But still, that didn’t stop her from worrying. Sensing something off, Ethan looked at her with his sharp golden eyes, which was the only thing about him that looked beast-like. After a moment of silence, he looked away from her hopeful gaze, as if embarrassed.

“Of course, I’m scared.” His answer pierces Catherine’s heart leaving her breathless. “Those Majins are destroying towns as if they’re nothing. Honestly, I don’t think I even stand a chance against even one of them.

“That, that’s a lie, right?” Catherine anxiously waited for her father to say he was joking, but he remains silent.

Catherine's ears, tail, and shoulder droop defeated. The man that was supposed to protect her admitted how weak and helpless he was. Her mind plummets into darkness, and despair ate at her soul. Just as her legs were about to give out, her dad gently places his hand on her shoulder.

“But, that doesn’t mean I’ll give up.” He looked into her downcast eyes. Even though he said he was weak, his gaze was strong, even though he said he was scared, he was brimming with courage. “Keep your head up, Catherine. It during dark times like these is when we need to shine even brighter than before. Do you understand?”

“Yes.” She raised her head and looked at her father, who was wearing a smile that she felt was brighter than the sun. He wrapped his arms around her and brought her into his embrace.

“I promise Catherine, your mother, and I will always protect you.” His words and body warmth melted her fear-stricken heart. After a moment of silence, he releases her from his embrace. “You feel better now?”

“Yes!” She answers strongly. Looking at her now, most wouldn’t believe that this little girl was on the verge of falling into despair.

“Good, with that energy, there’s no one that will be able to take you down.” Now that he was confident his daughter was okay; he returns his attention to the heart-shaped berries. Realizing he wasn’t even halfway done, he frowned slightly.

If only I had an extra pair of hands. The moment he thought that a hand reached over his shoulder plucking one of the berries from the bush.

“Can I help you?” She asked shyly. Normally, her dad wouldn’t allow her to touch the fruit until they were needle-free. But seeing the determination in his daughter’s eyes. He couldn’t bring himself to say no this time.

“Sure, just be careful.” The two passed the time in silence, carefully plucking the needles off the fruit. Catherine’s tail swaying happily, enjoying every bit of moment with her dad, but deep down, it felt like she forgot something.

“Ahem.” The two turn they’re attention to the person who their peaceful silence. Catherine’s mom stares at the two, with her arms cross. “Did you forget why I sent you out here, Catherine?” She said, clearly irritated. 

“Sorry,” Catherine said softly while looking down at the ground. After glaring at her daughter for a few seconds, she let’s out a sigh. It was impossible for her to stay mad at her daughter, especially after watching help her father.

“I guess it doesn’t hurt to eat outside sometimes.” She steps out of the way, revealing the food she cooked, which was laid out on a table she set up in the garden. Both Catherine and her dad stomach growl when they look at the cooking.

“I think it’s about time for a break, what do you think, Cat?”

“Yea!” She nodded her head happily.

While walking through the garden holding her father and mother's hand, Catherine looked up at the sky. It was truly a beautiful day. The birds were chirping, the wind was calm and soothing, and her heart was filled with warmth and love.

If only these days could last forever. Yes, if only.

.

.

.

“What a cruel joke.” I let out a groan as I try to rise from bed. But I simply didn’t have the strength nor will to get up.

It truly was cruel. To be shown such a nostalgic memory full of love and warmth, only to have it snatch it away from me, Leaving me empty inside.

I looked around my dusty old room.  The memories of what happened last night were still fresh in my head. The ogre, the masked men, and the Royal Guards. If it weren’t for the gold coins littering my bed, I would’ve thought the whole thing was some sort of fever dream.

Still laying lazily in bed, I counted the coins again. This marks the fifteenth time I counted the coins, and for the fifteenth time, I was shocked. Forty gold coins! I can comfortably live off this for years and buy my family store four times over! That is if I was dealing with a normal salesman. But the person who currently owns my parent’s store is the Crooked Man.

I always found it strange that he’s charging me ten gold coins for a run-down store. But after getting robbed yesterday by his men, I know now that he has no intention of giving me my family shop back. At least, not for a reasonable price. I’m not sure what he sees in this store or me, but surely neither of us is worth forty gold coins.

After counting the coins again, I hid two of the gold coins underneath my pillow and finally sat up. “Alright!” I patted my cheeks to wake myself up. “Mom, dad, today's the day I get our store back!” I shouted at the two plants in the middle of the room. If anyone saw me right now, I’m pretty sure they would be questioning my sanity.

“Living like this is really starting to take its toll on me.” I let out a sigh as I grab a bucket of water from the corner of my room and carefully pour a bit into the potted plants. Afterward, I grab a rag and wipe the sweat off my body, thinking how nice it would be to take a proper bath.

Maybe I can visit one of those fancy spas the nobles go to. If I have any money left after haggling with Crook, I like to go there.

After I finish wiping myself off, I toss my cloak on, then grab the two batons that I got from the orc incident last night. Not sure why I still have them, but since I can’t find my pistol it’ll have to do.

“When I come back, I’ll be the owner of this shop.” I look back at the two plants. Maybe I am losing my mind, but it felt like my parents were actually here, pushing me forward. Feeling a smile forming on my face, I leaped out the window. I close my eyes, enjoying the cool wind as I soar through the sky. I’ve been jumping out my wind since I was a kid, so I didn’t even need to see to land safely.

I open my eyes when I felt my feet touch the pavement. The sun was halfway to its highest point. It around this time when the streets and stores should be bustling, but this was the slums, there isn’t much to do here. Although strangely, today feels a bit lively. Chatter could be heard from all around. Curious, I strain my ears to listen to what got everyone so excited.

“I heard the mayor was arrested last night. Apparently, he been kidnapping women and selling them as slaves.”

“Really? I heard the Crooked Man and some other gangs crew were beaten badly by some duo dress in white.”

“In white? Sounds like the Royal Guards. Maybe the king is finally getting off his lazy ass.” The group burst into a loud laugh. If I didn’t see the royal guards last night, I probably would’ve laughed too. Just like me, they find it hard to imagine our indolent king doing anything. Especially something like sending his strongest soldiers to a place like that. But they were indeed here, and they ben quite busy.

I continue listening to the conservations around me. While strolling through the dust-covered street.

“NOOOO!!” A desperate scream echo throughout the street, destroying the rare peaceful atmosphere in the slum.

A woman in tattered clothes was being dragged away by a man. “Please don’t hurt him!!” She cried, reaching for a boy who was being held down by another two men. At first glance, it looked like the men were assaulting the woman and her child, but the truth they were trying to save them, well at least the woman. The boy was already far too gone.

Due to the ensuing struggle, his raggedy shirt was rip, exposing his thin body. His skin was a lifeless gray, and his eyes were pure white. It obvious the boy was dead, but his body was oblivious to that fact.

“Husk” is the name of the creature the men were fighting. It’s still unknown how people transform into one, but the common theory is that those who possess a strong desire to live can move their body even after death. While that sounds romantic, since it doesn’t possess a soul anymore, the husk will attack any living being it sees, including its mother.

“Please stop! He-he’s just hungry that’s all!”  Tears stream down her face as she looked for whatever excuse to save her child. “He hasn’t eaten in weeks, that’s why he acted like this way.”

“I’m sorry to tell you this, but that thing isn’t your son anymore.” The man who separated the woman from her child try to reason with her. Of course, none of it reached her ears.

“Don’t.” Her voice came out shaky and weak. “Don’t take my child from mePlease don’t take my little girl! Catherine!”

“Could it be?” I take a step towards the woman calling my name. It was hard to get a good look at her because of the man holding her, and her messy bangs which covered most of her face but, I could tell from her voice that she was my “Mom…” I reach out for her, desperately wanting to feel that warmth I haven’t felt in years. But I was suddenly pulled back, by one of the guys that were watching everything from the sideline.

“Best not to jump into things that don’t involve you, little girl.”

“Involve?” Enrage I shake myself free from his grip. “This does involve me! That’s my- “My voice dies out when I looked back at her.  The woman was now on her knees. Tears stream down her face as she stares at the boy whose head was twisted in the opposite direction. It seems at some point during the struggle one of the men broke the kid’s neck, but this injury didn’t stop the lifeless body from struggling to escape.

“John.” The voice who I thought was my mom weakly called out to the thing that used to be her son. Even with her disheveled hair covering her face, I could easily tell she wasn’t my mother.

“Ha.” A pitiful laugh slip from my mouth. “I really am losing it.” I push my way through the crowd that was gathering, unable to stomach the awful scene anymore. No matter how far I got, the woman wail continues to echo in my head, reminding me of my mother when dad left.

“Now is not the time to get depressed.” I let out a long sigh and look ahead. The street was empty despite the time of day. A sign I was entering the Crooked Man’s territory.

“Mom, Dad, I hope you’re watching me because today’s the day I take everything back.

 

0