Chapter 6: Hero of Morning Star
44 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 6

Hero of Morning Star

“Today’s the day.” I repeatedly mutter to myself as I step into the “Slum’s Graveyard.” Every time I wander through here. I wonder If I stumble upon some ancient ruin. Buildings were missing ceilings and even walls, allowing the elements to make quick work of the interior, which made the area look like its been abandon for hundreds of years. Even though in truth, this place was thriving just over ten years ago. That is until the Majin attack.

Thankfully, the military was somehow able to chase them out of town before they could cause real damage to the city, but to the unfortunate people that did lose their home during the attack, not only does the trauma prevent them from coming back, but also the undead victims who still roam around the area. Only someone insane would choose to live here, which is probably why it’s home to the most dangerous gang in town.

For a place that’s called a “Graveyard,” it’s quite lively. Thugs were moving from building to building carrying boxes of stuff I’m sure is illegal. It seems they were in quite the hurry, no one calling me the gang’s mascot, or Crooked Man’s favorite pet as usual. Without a doubt, it has something to do with the two Royal Guards roaming around the town. I heard a rumor that some of Crook's men got caught in their rampage last night.

Could it be Crook going into hiding? If he is, then I need to get to him before he vanishes off the map.

“Well, well. If it isn’t The Crooked Man’s favorite pet.”

I let out a sigh as I turn to face the man I didn’t want to see today, actually, for the rest of my life. Standing in front of me was a lanky man dress in filthy attire you would expect from someone living in the slums. A cruel smile spread across his filthy face, revealing his crooked yellowish teeth.

Brick is what he calls himself. He probably named himself that to sound tough, that or someone slams his face into a brick wall, and he forgot his original name. Going by the way he looks, I feel the second story makes more sense.

“What are you doing here?”

“Isn’t it obvious? I came to see Crook.”

“You think you can just visit the boss whenever you want?”

“You said it yourself. I’m his favorite pet, isn’t it a pet job to be by their master side?” Brick grinded his teeth, bitterly chewing the insult I spat back at him. The frustrated look on his face was a sight to see. Unfortunately, that filthy grin quickly reforms on his face as if it never left.

“You have a point. But right now, the boss is busy figuring out which gang attack us last night.

“Gang?” I cock my head slightly, confuse. Do they not know that the people that attack them were the King’s personal guards? Then again, no one seems to know that they’re here despite all the mayhem they caused last night. I guess I’m probably the only person that saw them that's not in a coma.

“What? Don’t tell me you didn’t hear about the attack?”

"No, I did.” I cover my mouth to hold back a cough. For some reason, my throat felt incredibly dry. Now that I think about it, when was the last time I drank any water or eaten for that matter? “Anyway, let me go see Crook, I promise I won’t take up too much of his time.”

Now it was Brick turn to be confused. He crossed his arms and looked at me while slightly tilting his head. “What’s up with you today? Normally you avoid us like the plague.”

“That’s because you are one,” I whispered underneath my breath.

“Ah.” Brick’s eye widens a sigh that shows the small muscle in his head still works properly. “I get it, you finally got enough money to buy your shitty store of yours, right?”

“So, what if I do?” I slowly reach for my batons hidden underneath my cloak.”

“Catherine, you didn’t forget the rules, did you?

“Rules.” I gritted my teeth to keep my anger in check. My tail sharing my frustration, repeatedly smack the ground to vent its rage. Their rule is nothing more than an excuse to rob me.

“Yes, I’m aware of the rule. That’s why I’m visiting him. Isn’t it better if I give him money directly instead?” I force a smile on my face to hide my anger.

“As I said before. Crook is busy trying to figure out who attack us. Besides, It’s my job to collect Crook's money.” A tense silence fell upon us; we continue to stare at each other with force smiles on our faces. It felt like we were holding some sort of competition. The loser is whoever composure breaks first, and I had no intention of losing. I open my mouth to speak, but he quickly cuts me off.

“Catherine, you may be The Crooked Man’s favorite, but that doesn’t mean he’ll protect you.”

“That’s rich coming from you.” Brick is what I consider to be a typical thug. Always boasting or causing problems, but when he’s in danger, he quickly hides behind The Crooked Man’s name to protect himself.

“Are you trying to say something?” He balls his hands into fists. I let out a sigh debating whether I should warn him about the Royal Guards. Unsurprisingly I quickly decided to keep the information to myself and hope the next person he runs into would be one of the Royal Guards.

“No, I’m not trying to say anything. I’m just wondering if anyone would come to save a dog like you whose only capable of barking.”

“….” We fell into another tense silence. My tail slowly raises in the air, warning me of the bloodlust emanating from Brick.

For a brief second, Brick looked at me, surprised. I, too, was shocked by my own action. Normally I would run the moment I sense danger. Yet here I am calmly staring down a man who was flashing the knife he hid in his pocket. Half the reason probably is because I’m so close to my goal. The second was perhaps because of the man approaching us. Unlike Brick, the man didn’t need to say anything to appear intimidating. The five symmetrical scars running vertically down the left side of his face was more than enough to scare any wannabe thug away.

“Scar” is the nickname the man gave himself, despite his terrifying appearance, he’s a rational person that wouldn’t resort to violence unless order to. Even though it was pathetic, I’m confident he would stop Brick if he got violent.

“What’s happening here?”

“Scar?!” Brick jumped when he heard the voice behind him. I found it amusing how quickly his tough façade broke. “S-she wanted to see the boss, and I stop her.” Brick responded nervously.

“Is that so?” Scar said in his usual cold and emotionless voice. I mentally crossed my fingers, hoping he would take my side. “Catherine, did you come here to buy your family store?”

“Of course, why else would I come here?” My impatience leak into my voice.

“Then, I’m afraid I can’t let you go.” I shouldn’t have been surprised. Yet his cold words froze my mind and body in place.

“Why?” Was the only the world that I could squeeze out.

“Crooked Man orders.”

“Why? I don’t understand. Why is stopping me from reclaiming what rightfully mine?!” My mind twisted and turn, trying to make sense of the situation. All I want is my family shop back. It’s not like I was dastardly planning to take over his turf or anything.

“I don’t know. I didn’t ask.” Scar’s apathetic response caused something in me to snap

“Of course, you didn’t ask." It was foolish of me to count on Scar to help. He’s mercenary after all. The only thing he cares about is money. I guess that must sound rich coming from a thief like me.

I took a deep breath to calm myself down. “

“…” Scar stare at me in silence, his expression never changing. While Brick nervously looked back and forth at Scar and me.

“I guess I’ll just have to go through you two.” I pulled out my two batons I hid within my cloak. Brick cackle loudly, nearly causing my ears to bleed.

“Have you lost your mind? You really don’t think you can beat us, do you.”

Of course, I don’t stand a chance. I know better than anyone how weak I am. But it’ll be more insane if I stop here when I’m so close to achieving my family dream!

I took a step toward the two obstacles standing before me. While my mind wanders trying to figure out how to get through them, my ears begin to twitch, warning me of potential danger.

The world became quieter as I focus in on the sound. It seems like someone is fighting. I can vaguely hear someone shouting, “Get him!” and “he’s this way!” Follow by the sound of someone screaming in pain.

It looks like even Brick and Scar could hear it. They warily looked around, searching for the noise that was progressing towards us. Suddenly, a man burst through a crumbling stone wall. The man’s body rolls uncontrollably towards me, stopping directing at my feet.

“Ugh. You, you bastard.” The man groans as he tries to lift his batter body off the ground. “Wh-What the hell do you want?!” He screams at the dust cloud surrounding the collapsed wall.

“Nothing much, I just want to have a chat with your boss.” An unsettling familiar and gentle voice came from within the dust cloud. As the dust faded, I was able to make out more of the person’s feature. An older man with short gray hair. His white uniform didn’t have a speck of dirt despite standing in a dust cloud. And his scarlet red tags hanging from his neck gave off a brilliant gleam.

“Jeez, Crook is quite popular today.” Brick approach the older man while flaunting his knife. “Sorry old man, but I’m afraid you can’t see him.”

“Brick, if you don’t back away from him. You’ll die.” For a brief instant, Scar’s warning froze Brick in place. But Brick being the idiot he is, laughs it off like it was a joke.

“Scar, don’t tell me you’re afraid of this old guy cosplaying as a Royal Guard? Look he’s so scared he can’t even move!”

Ignoring Brick who was swinging his knife around like an idiot, the older man calmly scanned the environment. Eventually, his eyes fell on me. “Ah, what a coincidence. I’ve been looking for you, young lady.” The old man wore the same gentle smile he had when he saved me from the ogre, but this time, I could feel something ominous hiding behind it. Does he know I took the money?

“You know this old fool, Catherine?”

“….” I didn’t bother answering Brick’s question. I was too busy trying to figure out how to get out of this situation. Not only is Scar and Brick blocking my path, but it looks like the King’s guard is after me as well. It truly felt like I was stuck between a rock in a hard place.

“Well, whether you know him or not doesn’t matter. Since he’ll be dying soon.” Brick pointed his knife at the older man. Just as I was about to ask him where he was getting this confidence from, about twenty men step out of the hole in the wall, the old man created. They quickly surrounding him each one wielding a weapon.

“You guys never learn.” Letting out an exhausted sigh, the elderly man drew his sword. Unlike his sheath, which had a beautiful black and gold design, his sword was simplistic, but that didn’t detract from its beauty. The white hilt, combine with the light reflecting off the pure silver blade, gave the sword a holy aura.

“That sword, could it be?”

“Get him!!” Brick’s shouting drowns out Scar whose eyes were open slightly wider than usual. The shock expression on the usually stoic man felt like a sign that things were going to get worse.

The old man took a step towards the nearest thug. The man hesitantly raised his hand club in the air and swung at the old soldier.

The blunt object flies over the old man’s head as if it was scared to hit him. The thug looked down at the remaining part of the club he was holding. The men laugh hysterically at the confuse thug. At first glance, it looked like the weapon broke on its own, but after seeing what the old man was capable of, I’m positive he cut the club in half at a speed that was too fast to see.

Perhaps sensing the difference between him and the old soldier, the thug took a step back, but before he could retreat, the holy blade slice through him cutting him half, at least that’s what it looked like.

It was just like the time with the ogre. His sword went straight through him, but he was still in one piece. Confuse, the thug patted his stomach that should’ve been sliced open.

“See there’s nothing to be afraid. His sword is as dull and rusty as him! Attack!”

The twenty men attack on Brick’s command, at least that’s what he probably thinks, but I’m positive they just saw this as the right moment to attack. Every single weapon that came near the old man was cut in half. The holy like sword transforms into a blur. It was impossible for me to follow the old man sword’s play; the only thing I could see was the silver arc the sword left in its wake.

One by one, in quick succession, the thugs drop to their knees, patting themselves down, looking for the nonexistent wound the sword should’ve left on their bodies. After knocking down the last men, the older man plants his sword on the ground and look down at the panicky thugs.

“Brace yourselves.” The moment those words left his mouth. Wounds suddenly appear on the thugs’ bodies. One was bleeding profusely from his leg, while another person's arm was shredded into pieces, and there was one who was clutching his bleeding head screaming about having a severe headache.

“What the hell?” Brick, the last of thug standing, took a step back. I was genuinely surprised that he didn’t run right there and then, but then again, it’s probably because his instinct is telling him the same thing my instinct is telling me: You’ll die the moment you turn your back towards that man.

“To think the holy sword actually exists.” Scar step in between Brick and the older man. “You’re Dante, aren’t you? The Hero of Morningstar?”

“What?!” Both Brick and I shouted at the same time. There isn’t anyone in the country who doesn’t know who Dante is. He’s a legendary solider who slain not only a hundred of Majins but also the only person who challenges the Immortal Demon King and survive to tell the tale.

“Holy sword? Hero of Morningstar?” Dante chuckles softly. “I’m not a fan of those exaggerated titles. I’m nothing more than a soldier.

“I concur. You show me that you’re without a doubt worthy of those titles” There was a hint of excitement in Scar’s voice. Seeing his usual dead eyes come to life, I begin to feel bad for saying he only cared about money.

“I’m assuming you’re challenging me to a duel, no?” Scar responded to Dante's question by silently raising the sword he took from one of the injured thugs.

“Very well, I accept your challenge.” Dante mimicked his action and lifted his sword. Engulf in the tense atmosphere; I barely notice that somewhere in between their exchange, Brick manages to slip away.

For the first time in my life, I wanted to follow his example, but my curiosity preventing me from moving. A Scar versus “The Hero of Morningstar.” I heard Scar was quite the accomplice mercenary before The Crooked Man hired him as a guard. But still, I just couldn’t imagine him winning. Compare to Dante. Scar was like a child that just learn how to wield a sword. I’m sure Scar was also aware of the insurmountable gap between them. The fight hasn’t even started, yet he was already covered in sweat. With each step, he took towards the legendary hero, the more his body tremble.

Then, it happened. At least, I think it happened. All I know is that it took place an instant, no, perhaps even faster than that. The moment Scar step into Dante’s range, he instantly raises his sword in the air blocking Dante’s blade that seems to appear in front of him suddenly.

“Oh.” For a moment, Dante looked surprised, but his expression immediately became stern. Once again, he swung his sword at a speed faster than an instant. It looked as if his sword was teleporting near Scar who somehow was blocking those inhuman attacks. Although, it was obvious it was taking everything he had to keep up with them.

Even an amateur like me who never been in a fight could tell who the winner would be. Also if by some miracle he managed to keep blocking all of Dante’s attack, his poorly tended to sword wouldn’t last long. With each strike, a crack appears on the sword. If scar wanted to have any chance at victory, he would have to launch a counterattack, but Dante’s absurd speed and strength prevented him from going on the offense.

“It’s over.” Declaring an end to the duel. Dante thrust his sword at Scar.

“Guh!” Scar lets out as he tries to block the attack, but the holy sword pierces through the crack the weapon, shattering it into pieces.

Scar’s body flew backward, smashing into a stone wall. He opens his mouth like he was trying to talk, but the impact knocks the air out of his lung. Thus, he collapses to the ground while letting out a soundless scream. His eyes were more hollow than usual.

“Impressive, you allow yourself to be knocked back to avoid being cut by my sword. You definitely have skills, but you’re going need to train a lot more if you want to have any chance of beating me. Dante quietly observe Scar as if he was waiting for him to respond

“And now for you, young lady.” After a few seconds of silence, he turns his attention to me. I was so caught up in the fight I completely forgot he was also after me. “I’m sure you know why I was looking for you.”

“Is it because of the money I took?”

“Don’t you mean stole.” He corrected. “Anyway, since you’re aware of your sin, you mine explaining to why you did it?”

“Sin?” I clench my teeth to keep my anger at bay. “Those bastards try to feed me to a ten-foot monster! I think I have the right to take from them after what they try to do to me!”

“Regardless of what they did to you, that doesn’t change the fact what you did is a sin.”

Self-righteous bastard! People born with a silver spoon in their mouth will never understand that people like me have no choice but to turn to a life of crime to survive, but arguing with him isn’t going to get me out of this situation.

Hot-headed fools are usually the first to die. The idiots writhing on the ground clutching their wound was proof of that.

I put my batons away. If Scar, a skilled mercenary couldn’t beat him, then no way a thief like me could do it. But that doesn’t mean I’m giving up.

I reached into my pouch and pulled out a gold coin.

“What are you doing.”

“I want to test how good your perception is,” I answer while casually flipping the coin in the air.

“What does that have to do with anything?”

“Just humor me.” I toss the coin one last time in the air. The moment it fell to my eye level, both my hands sprung for the coin. In an instant, one of my hand caught the coin.

“Which hand the coin in?” I held out both my clench hands, waiting for his answer.

“Left.” Seeing him confidently point to my left hand nearly made me laugh.

“Too bad~” I open my right hand revealing the coin. Dante’s eyebrow rose slightly it seems he was surprised he got it wrong. I bet his eyesight is just as absurd as his strength, but you’re going to need more than good vision to see through this trick.

“You know, you usually have a fifty percent chance of guessing correctly, but I can flip this coin fifty more times, and you’ll still guess wrong. You know why?” Before he could say anything, I continue to talk reciting the words Crook told me when he first showed me this trick.

“It’s because your view is too narrow, you can only see the world in black and white. If you want to find the coin, your view needs to be a bit more crooked.” I open my left hand showing I had another gold coin. Dante's eyes widen with surprise, it was at that moment I sense he let his guard down. I flick both the coins at him. Despite being caught off guard, he easily deflected the coins with his sword. Of course, I was stupid enough to think I could beat the “Hero of Morningstar” with coins. I just needed that momentary distraction so I could escape from his sword range.

“I ran to the nearest building as fast as I could. If his speed is anywhere near impressive as his sword swings, then he’ll be on me any moment.

And at the exact moment, I thought that. I felt a presence loom over me. It inches closer like a predator, slowly sinking its teeth into its prey.

“Ahhh!” letting out a weird scream, I leap for the pipe attached to the building. I quickly climbing, barely avoiding the shadow that crash into the building. Against my better judgment, I look down to see the holy sword pierce the place at a mere moment ago. If I were just an instant slower, I would’ve…

I shook my head to rid myself of the grim thought. I climb my way up the building to avoid getting hit by his sword. The legendary hero may be fast and stupidly strong, but I’m confident I’m much nimbler than him. I can easily use the buildings to outmaneuver him.

“Do you really think you can escape from me that easily.” His words destroyed the confidence I was slowly building up; it was as if he knew exactly what I was thinking.

I look back down thinking he was climbing up after me, but he was still on the ground level calmly tapping the building with his sword. After a few more taps, he looked up at me and said. “Brace yourself.”

My tail stiffens warning me of the approaching danger. I heeded his warning and hugged the pipe as tight as I could, bracing myself for whatever was going to happen.

Dante swung his sword at the building. The holy blade easily sunk its teeth into the stone structure. The bolts that kept the pipe attached to the building suddenly pop off, causing the pipe to lean towards the ground. No, it wasn’t just the pipe, the entire building was falling apart!”

“Are you freaking serious?!!”

There’s a limit to absurdity and cutting a building in half is crossing that line! I desperately hung on to the collapsing building. Dante stood directly below me his sword still in hand.

If I stay here, I’ll be crush to death, but if I fall, I’ll be at the mercy of his sword. I dove deep into my head frantically searching for a way to escape. Eventually, focus on the fight between Scar and Dante. Despite being outmatched, Scar was able to avoid being fatally injured by skillfully using the Hero’s superhuman to escape from his attack. Can I replicate what he did? Well, whether I can or can’t, I really don’t have a choice in the matter.

I let go of the pipe and dove headfirst for Dante. Somehow, I manage to pull out one of my batons in the midst of the chaos. Dante responded to my reckless charge by readying his weapon. I’m not sure if the falling debris somehow slowed him down or I faster than I thought, but I was miraculously able to block his attack.

“Ngh.” The force of his attack shook my entire body to its core, nearly causing me to vomit whatever content I had left in my stomach. In the next moment after the thunderous clash, I was sent flying away from the collapsing building and the holy weapon.

The world spun as I uncontrollably rolled on the ground. When the nauseating spinning finally ended, a more unpleasant sensation greeted me. My head was throbbing, my arm that block the sword attack felt numb, and there was dull ache all over my body.

“At least I’m alive. Somehow.” I try to stand up, but my vision became blurry, causing me to fall back down on my butt.

“Ouch.” While rubbing my lower back, I stare at the massive dust cloud where the collapsed the building once stood.

“Yea, he’s definitely dead.” Even if he was a legendary hero, he still was mortal and a human at that. “Wait, this doesn’t count as murder, right?”

I mean he technically killed himself, given how eccentric nobles are I will definitely be held responsible for his death.

Killing a royal guard is an equivalent of chopping off one of the king’s limbs. If news of this ever got out, the entire country will be after my head.

I nervously looked around to see if there were any witnesses. I let out a sigh of relief when I saw the only people around were the unconscious thugs and scar.

Just as I was about to try to get up again, the building rubbles begin to move.

“Haha. This is a joke, right?” I let out a hopeless laugh as I watch a man emerges from the rubble. Completely unscathed, Dante silently dusts off his flawlessly white uniform.

“That was a bit too close for comfort.” He said while letting out a tired sigh. “Now…” Cracking his neck, he turns his attention to me. “…. Where were we?”

 

0