Chapter 7: An Impossible Challenge
31 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 7

An Impossible Challenge

It feels like I’m stuck in a nightmare. The kind where you're chased by a monster that’s always behind you, regardless of how fast you run.

“I have to say I’m quite impressed. If I didn’t use my aura, I would’ve died.” Dante said as he dusted off his uniform, which was somehow still perfectly white.

No way this guy is human. Not even ogre could escape from that unscathed. I guess the tales of him killing hundreds of majins and even challenging the Demon King to a duel wasn’t a tall tale. Only a monster can kill another monster.

“So, do you have any other tricks you want to show me?”

“Of course, a thief always has a trick up their sleeves.” I took a page from Brick’s book and pretended to be stronger than I am. But my wobbly legs isn’t helping me look the part.

“Show me.” Dante positions his sword directly in front of himself. I thought he was going lunge at me at light speed but merely glared at me while holding his stance. Don’t tell me he’s waiting for me to take a fighting stance? Or does he actually think I have a trick up my sleeves? Either way, it looks he’s waiting for me to make the next move.

I quickly took advantage of the momentary respite I gain by shaking my right arm, which was still numb from blocking his last attack. What incredibly stupid strength. He even bent my baton.

I knew this since the moment I saw him killed the ogre but taking a hit from him reconfirm the obvious: beating him is completely and utterly impossible. A proud warrior might see him as a worthy challenge, but all I see is an unscalable mountain. And going by how fast he is, running away isn’t going to be easy either. So, if running and fighting isn’t an option, then that means I have no choice but to gamble.

“I took a deep breath and shouted as loud as I could “Prepare yourself!” I charge straight at the hero like a madman. Dante stiffens his guard. Preparing to counter whatever I was going to throw at him. “Here I go! My ultimate technique! Running away as fast as I can!” I abruptly stopped just short of his sword range and made a sharp right.

“Huh?” I didn’t have to look behind me to know he was staring at me, confused. Just like I thought, he’s the kind of guy that believes honor and justice come before everything else. Those kinds of guys are really weak to cheap trick.

“You’re running away again?” The disappointment in his voice irritated me. I barely stop myself from shouting, “Of course I’m running away! Do you seriously expect me to fight someone who can cut a building in half?!”

“Even though I put some good distance between us, in an instant, I could feel his presence behind me. Rather than panic like I did last time, I abruptly stop and roll into a ball. Dante flew right past me unable to suddenly stop like me. I immediately jumped back onto my feet and ran for the nearest building.

“My, aren’t you a slippery one.” I couldn’t tell if that was admiration or irritation in his voice. Either way, I felt proud I was able to trick the hero not once but twice.

“You may have slain over a hundred demons, but I escape getting arrested over a hundred times!”

“That’s not something you should be proud of.” Dante retorted. He chased after me at a normal pace, perhaps worried I would give him the slip again if he did that instantaneous movement again. Although I said, “normal speed,” he was still moving insanely fast. He’ll catch me at any moment at this rate.

I clench my teeth and continue running straight for the building. Rather than go through the door, I plant my foot on the wall and run vertically up the building. I quickly grab onto the nearest ledge before I lost my footing.

“Impressive.”

His compliment sounded sincere, but I could feel nothing but dread coming. It was like he was praising a roach for avoiding getting crush by his foot.

I quickly scaled the building as fast as I could. The moment I reach the top of the building, it begins to collapse. I knew he would cut the building down, but still; I don’t think I’ll ever be mentally prepared for him to do it.

Somehow, I manage safely to jump to the nearest building. Before I had a chance to catch my breath, the building I landed on begin to fall apart.

“ This guy, he’s seriously cutting down buildings like there Christmas trees!” I quickly leaped to the nearest building before the other one fell.

“How long can you keep this up?!” He shouted as he cut down the building I just landed on. I read enough stories to know this the part I bravely shout, “I can do this all day!” But continuously jumping from one collapsing building to the next was both physical and mentally exhausting. Not to mention, most of the buildings were already damaged, so I also must avoid falling into any holes as I run for my life.

There’s no way I can keep this up. And even if I could, I’ll eventually run out of buildings to retreat to. The moment my feet touch the ground again, I’ll immediately be overwhelmed by the hero’s inhuman strength and skill.

“Hero?” I begin mumbling to myself as an idea started to form in my head, but it was interrupted by a thunderous noise. The building behind me exploded. The shockwave from the explosive nearly sent me flying.

Is he throwing bombs at me now? Just how badly do you want to kill me!? If I lead him to a populated area, would he continue destroying buildings just to get to me? He is considered the “hero” of this country, so the lives of the innocent should be more important than chasing me, right?

I leapt to a neighboring building before the one I stood on fell. The roof nearly caves in when I landed on it. Each step I took a crack formed. It was like I was walking a thin sheet of ice.

The building I just escape from crashes into the one I was on further damage the weak structure. I try to jump the next building, but the ground beneath me gave way.

“Damnit!!” I screamed as I fell to the lower floor. My mind momentarily went blank from the pain that assaulted my body. If the building wasn’t falling apart, I probably would’ve curl into a ball and start crying.

I let out a painful grunt as I lift my exhausted body back onto its feet. Just taking a glance out the window was enough for me to know I miss my chance to escape to the next roof safely. The building I was on a collision course for the neighboring building.

“Well, if I can’t escape to the roof then...” I took a deep breath and then dove out the window. Thankfully, the glass in the windows was destroyed already, so I was able to exit and entered the next building without getting injured, well besides the bruises I undoubtedly got from rolling on the ground. A moment later the leaning building smash through the wall destroy half the rooms and nearly crushing me in the process.

“I can’t…. I can’t, anymore.” Complaints leak out in between my desperate gasp for air. My legs were so wobbly and weak; I had lean on the wall to support myself.

I seriously can’t do this anymore. My heart feels like it’ll burst out my chest any moment. Just moving my legs hurts like hell and the dust in the air is irritating my dry throat.

“Why do I have to go through this hell? All I want to do is to take back what was stolen from me. So, what if I stole money from some nobles. Those corrupt bastards would’ve probably used the money to buy slaves to torment or something like that.”

“!” The sound of a door being kick open echo throughout the desolate hallway. I quickly knelt down and place my face on the floor to listen to the noise that was coming from a floor below me.

“I know you’re here. Show yourself. The longer you hide, the worse your punishment will be.”

Do you really think that cheesy threat is enough to scare me out of hiding? Sorry, but I come too far to give up now.

I carefully snuck into one of the rooms. A shattered body size mirror hung on the wall of the abandoned room. There was a foul smell lingering in the room that seems to grow stronger the further I delve. Covering my nose, I crept over the glass shard that covered the floor and made my way towards the window which was covered in dust and cobwebs. Unsurprisingly, the ten-year-old cobweb covered window was jammed. I was confident that I could open it with a bit of force but decided against it in fear the noise might give my position away.

Now that I think about it, why didn’t he just destroy the building like all the others? As much I like to think he simply got tired, I can’t imagine that monster ever running out of stamina. Could it be he’s trying get me away from buildings? If the window wasn’t jam, I would’ve jump and made a run for it without a second thought. The only reason why I’m still alive is because I’ve been using the buildings to stay out of the range of his sword. The moment he catches me and an area without anything for me to climb onto, I’m dead. But staying here isn’t an option either.

“Or is it?” Another idea suddenly sprung in my head. If I wasn’t in a life and death situation, I probably would’ve patted myself on the back for being able to think in this dire situation. I guess constantly stealing from soldiers and nobles prep me for this moment.

I nervously peek into the hall to check if it was safe. Which was unnecessary, since he was still downstairs judging from the noise.

“It’s now or never.” I carefully made my way down the hall. At the very end was a shattered window that I could probably squeeze my way through. I toss my bent baton that seemed to be almost glued to my hand out the window. I then proceed to rip off a piece of my cloak and place it on a glass shard.

Satisfy with my work, I retreated to the room with the broken mirror. I grab one of the many shards of glass that litter the floor and position it so I can see the hallway without having to poke my head out. The baton and rip cloth should convince him I fled the building. Hopefully.

I stare intensely at the glass shard, waiting for what could only been a few minutes, but felt like an hour. His footsteps grew louder and louder. The sound endlessly echoes in my head nearly driving me mad until finally, he came.

Still wielding his sword, he picks cloth I left on the window. My heart begins faster as I watch stare out the window, his eyes following the bread crumb I left for him.

“Come on. Fall for it. Please.” I clasp my hands together and pray that he would follow the trail I created. But my prayer went unanswered.

“Nice try.” He said, tossing the cloth out the window. “If you had a bit more resolve I might have fallen for it.” He picked up a glass shard and raised it and the air like he knew I was watching him.” You seriously don’t expect me to think you climb out this broken window without getting cut, do you?”

For a moment, my mind went blank as I try to wrap my head around what he said. Now that he mentions it, my mistake was so obvious that I could almost laugh. If I left a bit of my blood of the window that would’ve completed the illusion me desperately fleeing the building. But even if I knew that ahead of time, I wouldn’t be able to do it.

“Looks like this little game of cat and mouse is coming to an end.” Dante begins to search each room. Luckily, I was at the end of the hallway, so I still had to time to escape, but the cobweb-covered window was still jam. And even if I did open it, I would just be going out in open where he can freely cut me down, just like he wanted.

“What do I do?” I frantically looked around the room for something that could get me out of the situation. For some reason, the shattered mirror grabbed my attention. The foul odor lingering in the air seemed to grow stronger the closer I got.

“You’re not an ordinary mirror, are you?” I closely examine the frame of the mirror and found there was a massive hole behind it.

“A Hidden room?” I gasp in surprise. I heard during the war some people created hidden rooms so they could store food and hide. In case the majins conquer the city. Perhaps that awful smell is coming from spoiled food.

“Ugh!” A groan slips from my mouth as I tried to move the mirror, but it refuses to budge. I guess whoever lived here didn’t want anyone accessing their hidden room even if they discover it.

Growing more desperate, I thrust my last baton into the gap between the hole and the mirror to try to pry it open. For the first time in my life, I’m happy I’m small. I could barely get the mirror to budge, but the little gap I created was just big enough for me to fit. With Dante footstep getting closer by the second, I didn’t hesitate to dive headfirst into the dark hole.

Almost immediately, my eyes adjusted to the darkness. A perk of having the blood of a beast. Although it because of this blood that this repugnant scent is tormenting my heightened sense of smell. “Ah.” I let out a weak groan as my body try to decide whether I should vomit or pass out.

“He’s here.” My instinct whisper to me. Suddenly the pounding headache and the dizzy spell faded as if they never existed. I’m not sure how I knew he was in the room since I was busy rolling around gasping for fresh air, but I made a habit of never questioning my instinct, only following them.

Just beyond the mirror, I could hear his footsteps moving around the room, searching every nook and cranny for me. I cover my mouth and try to be as still as possible, afraid that even a twitch of my muscle would give my hiding spot away.

After a few minutes of searching, he leaves the room. I remain still, till I was confident he was far away

Now, what do I do? From the sound of things, he's heading to the third floor. After he searches the third floor, he’ll leave, right? I mean there’s no other reason for him to stay unless he’s confident that I’m still here. But what happens after he leaves? I doubt he’ll give up on me. I mean he literally cut down buildings just to get to me. Yea he definitely won’t give up. He won’t stop chasing me until he kills me. Or I kill him.

But how do I do that? No way I’m beaten in a fight. But what if I sneak up behind him? Since he has no idea where I am, I can get behind him and- no, that won’t work, somehow, I get the feeling he’ll notice me before I ever get close to him. The only way I’ll ever take him out is from a distance. But the only weapon I have is a baton.

I looked around the small dark room. Of course, there wasn’t a weapon conveniently laying around for me. Instead, what I got was stacks of boxes. They looked exactly like the boxes Crook’s goons was carrying earlier. I guess they’re using this place to hide Crook’s goods. Well, I’m sure he won’t mind if I borrow some of it.

The foulest of odors assaulted my nose the moment I open box, nearly knocking me unconscious. Without a doubt, the smell that’s been tormenting me this entire time is coming from these boxes. It took all my willpower to stop myself from chucking all the boxes out a nearby window.

Going by the smell, I half expected to find a dead animal in the box. Thankfully what I got instead was glass jars filled with what looked like black powder. At first glance, I thought it was gunpowder until I read the label on the jar.

Warning; chemical volatile when exposed to air.

Volatile? Isn’t it a bit unsafe to have something so dangerous be held in a jar of glass? I’m pretty sure if I asked one of Crook’s goon, they’ll just scoff at me and say, “Don’t care as long as I get paid.”

I guess I don’t have the right to judge since I make a living off stealing. By the way, speaking of stealing, I wonder if Crook don’t mind if I borrow a couple of these boxes.

I dragged two of the boxes out of the hidden room. Thankfully, the mirror was easier to move on this side. Then again it would dumb if you got trap in your own hidden room.

I left one of the boxes in the room and put the other in the hall. After I place them down, I grab one of the jars and quietly made my way down the hall.

The plan is quite simple. Once I get a safe distance from the building. I’ll toss the jar through the window. The explosion should create a chain reaction setting off the explosive I set up in the hall and in the room, which should ignite all the box of that black stuff that hidden behind the mirror.

Sheesh. I’m starting to scare myself. I just thoroughly planned out a murder like it’s something I do every day. It’s just liked that time I was going to fight the orc. I felt unnaturally calm despite the circumstance. I wonder if this also has something to do with me being part beast, or perhaps I’m more crooked than I thought.

I look up at the ceiling as if I was drawn to it. “It’s quiet.” I softly mutter. Until just a moment ago I could hear him walking around above me, now it’s dead silent.

Suddenly, an unnatural gust of wind swept through the hall. A chill ran through my body quickly making its way up to my brain, causing a momentary blackout. A vague image of a structure formed in my unconscious mind. I could see, no sense that there were only two people inside the structure. The image begins to dissipate like it was nothing more than a mirage and perhaps that exactly what it was. A moment later, I found myself back, in reality, gasping for air.

“Ah, so that’s where you were at.” Dante’s voice came from the floor above me. His once silent footsteps were now stomping their way down the hallway without a doubt heading straight for me.

“What?! How did he find me?!” I ran for the window at the end of the hall. Shoulder first, I threw myself at the window, shattering what was left of the glass. The shards rip through my cloak and pierce my skin. I twist my body around and toss the jar into the building.

Dante ran down the hall, his left hand extended in front of him. For the first time, there was a hint of panic on his face. It looks like he knew what in the jar I threw, but it was too late for him to catch it. A blinding white light erupted from the crack container, quickly consuming the building and then the world.

For a moment, I thought I died. But a few seconds later, the light vanishes, and the sky greeted me. It stretches its bright blue body far past the horizon as if it was trying to hog my attention. I guess the sky will always look beautiful regardless of how much we suffer.

I continue to stare at the sky. I know I should leave the area immediately. All that noise we made probably alerted every solider in the city and maybe even the other Royal guard. Staying here isn’t an option, but fear froze my body in place. The thought of being unable to move my limbs or worse finding out they were gone was far, far more horrifying than having to deal with another royal guard.

“Ok, I’m going to move.” I close my eyes to gather my courage. When I open them again, there was face hover in front of me.

“Whoa!” Startled, I got up and ran away, but ended up falling right on my face. Well, at least my legs are still attached to me.

While I was rubbing my sore head, the face appears in my vision again. It was the face of a young woman. Just from a single glance, I could tell life has been quite cruel to her. Her face was cover in dirt. Her clothes were basically rags, and she was so skinny I was afraid a single touch would be enough to break her bones.

“….” The woman lips moved, but the ringing in my ears made it impossible for me to understand what she was saying.

“….” The woman lips continue to move, but I'm sure she wasn't trying to talk to me anymore. I follow her downward gaze and notice a little boy was hiding behind her. The little boy pointed his finger at me, his eyes wide as can be. I didn’t have to hear to know he was saying something about my ears. For some reason, kids are infatuated with my ears and tail. It one of the reasons why I wear a cloak.

After she finished saying something to the child, she turns her attention to me again. With a gentle smile, she offers me her hand. I hesitantly accepted it. After a bit struggling, I was able to stand on my feet.

The woman clapped happily as she watched me unsteadily walk. It felt weird being treated like a child (even though I admittedly look like one) but, I decided to say nothing since I was grateful she was helping me.

As I continue to stumble around, I notice more and more people were gathering around. No doubt was drawn to all the noise from earlier. Mouth agape, they stare in awe at the burning building down the street.

That explosion seriously sent me flying. I’m not sure if I’m lucky that I didn’t suffer a severe injury, or my body is far tougher than I thought. Either way, he should be dead, right?

Another bright light erupted from the building forcing everyone to close their eyes. Fire violently spat out from the crumbling building, setting other nearby structure ablaze. Seriously, what was in those jars? Well, whatever it was there’s no way he survived that.

I let out a sigh of relief and reach for the pouch filled with coins only to grab nothing but air. For a moment, my heart stopped. I let out a dry laugh and patted myself down. Thinking, no, hoping that it was somewhere else on my person. But it was nowhere to be found.

Growing more panic, I look down and notice there was a huge tear in the part of my cloak that was hiding my pouch.

“No, don’t tell me.” My mind flashes back to when I smash through the window. “it’s inside the building, isn’t it? Stuck on one of those glass shards?”

I wobble my way towards the burning building, my eyes fixated on the floor, I leaped out of.

“….!” The emaciated woman step in front of me. It looked like she was shouting something, but I couldn’t hear it, nor did I care.

“Move!” I try to push her out of the way, but because my legs were still weak and wobbly, I ended up falling onto the ground.

“I, I got to get the money back.” I try to get back on my feet, but the woman grabs me from behind. “Why?!” I screamed. “Why is everyone trying to stop me?!”

“You’ll die!” Her voice broke through the ringing in my ears, but at this point, I didn’t care, I just scream back at her.

“So what?! So, what if I die! If I don’t get back what my family treasured, I’ll never see them again!”

I knew I wasn’t making sense. No matter what I do, I never see my parents again. But an irrational part of me believes that if I manage to get the store back. They’ll come back as if everything I’ve been through was nothing more than a bad dream.

The woman loosens her grip on me. I could probably break free if I wanted to. But there was no longer any point. The building was now nothing more than ash. And the coins had probably melted.

“Ha.” A weak and cold laugh slip from my mouth. What little strength I had left in my body vanish as tears endlessly flow down my cheeks. If the woman wasn’t holding onto me, I probably would’ve fallen face-first into the dirt and never move again.

“It’s okay.” She said softly. I turn around ready to shout, “how is any of this, okay?!” But before I could say anything, she held out her hand. In her palm was a single coin. The coin was partially burnt, but it was without a doubt, a gold coin.

“Will this be enough to buy back your treasure?” She said with a bright smile.

“….” All I could do was stare dumbly at her. I’m not sure how she managed to retrieve it from that burning building, but one half-burnt coin won’t be enough to buy my family store back. Unless, maybe if I combine it with the other two gold coins, I hid at the store along with the money I stash over the years.

Maybe there’s still hope.

I reach for the coin. Her thin, frail arm tremble as she waited for me to accept her gift. The boy by her side continues to cling to her. He was nowhere near thin as her. Going by her personality, I bet she gives all her food to the kid. What a strange woman. She has her own problem to deal with, yet she still trying to help me.

“Thank you, but I think you need this more than me.” I close the woman hand. Her eyes widen in surprise. “I’m truly am grateful you’re going out of your way to help me, but I think you should take care of yourself first. If anything, happens to you, then your son would be left all alone in the world. Just like me.” For an instant. The pain and confusion I felt when my mom left this world flash in my head. I shook my head to rid myself of the painful memory.

“B-But what about your store?” I must've had a painful expression. Since the woman was looking at me with concern.

“I’ll just have to start over from the beginning.” I shrug my shoulder as if it was no big deal. Although I guess compare to her situation, it really wasn’t that big of a deal.

“T-Thank you.” The woman bowed her head to me. I awkwardly wave my hand to dismiss her gratitude. I didn’t do anything to deserve her thanks. All I did was turn down the money I desperately needed.
 
“You-“ the woman was about to say something, but the rest of the words never left her mouth. Her eyes locked onto something behind me. She took a step back. Her gentle expression became twisted with fear. I didn’t have to look back to know who it was. My instinct told me ahead of time.

“Do you think this little act of kindness will absolve you of all your sins?” Black smoke rose from his skin. His once white uniform was now torn, revealing scars and somewhat burnt skin.

“Dante…” I said lowly to the point it sounded like a growl.

“Catherine,” He tightly gripped his sword which still had an ominous shine. “it’s time we end this little game.”

 

0