Chapter 10 – How to Fly
281 11 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 


Chapter 10

How to Fly


 

“You’re going to teach me how to fly?”

Goldie was in awe at her teacher. It's been around three months since Goldie's training began. The princess was still a novice, but as time passed, she got stronger. Her next lesson was given to her in the form of the teacher's staff and a magical hat, worthy of a witch.

“This staff will allow you to levitate if used right. Think of it as a part of you as you hold it.”

For the first time, Goldie held her teacher's staff. It was heavy and almost twice her size. The mana pouring from it was magnificent as it coursed through her.

“Wow…”

Understanding how mana worked properly gave her the wisdom to know this stuff wasn't anything to scoff at. The princess could only imagine where her teacher learned to make something so tremendously powerful.

"We all have many levels. As it depletes, we must rest for it to recharge. This staff allows you to use mana for longer. But never overdo it… that can hurt you.”

Madalyn warned. Goldie nodded.

“Yes, Madalyn.”

Her teacher touched a part of the staff.

“Like a witch uses their broom, you will use this staff as such. Put it between your legs and use it to levitate.”

Nervously, the princess did as she was told. She put the stuff between her legs. It was uncomfortable, and thankfully her dress kept it from pressing too hard on her inner thighs.

"Alright, I'm ready, Madalyn."

Her teacher nodded.

“Okay, start with channeling all your mana into the staff. Imagine something warm and peaceful.”

Goldie closed her eyes and thought about her room. It was strange, it’s been around two or three months, but she never once thought about her palace. But for this exercise, she focused on it. The cute plushies from all the other kingdoms. The extraordinary collection of books and her comfortable blanket.

"Warm breakfast scones…."

Again, Goldie realized she hadn't craved food in a while. Like Madalyn mentioned, she never got hungry to crave food. But for this, she imagined her maids bringing them to her. Victoria would heat succulent honey and drizzle it on the top. The sweet milk on the side was bliss to the princess.

“Warm milk…”

“Are you focusing, Goldie?”

The cold voice of her mentor shook her spine, causing her to wake up from her daydream.

“Oh… sorry, I got lost in my head.”

Goldie couldn’t tell from Madalyn’s expression, but she liked to believe her teacher was teasing her, giving her a playful poke. Madalyn was always emotionless, and over time… Goldie wished she'd at least smile more often. So, in her mind, she imagined that.

The smile of her teacher…

A wonderful expression she could only imagine.

“Oh?”

The staff began to levitate, to her surprise. It lifted off the cobblestone and nearly scared the poor girl to death. Her heart almost pouted out of her chest like a rabbit jumping out of a hole.

“Stay focused. Keep imagining that image.”

Embarrassed, Goldie did just that. She thought about a tender, sweeter side to the stoic Madalyn. A side that maybe her mother saw before she was born. It gave her the drive to get stronger. In the child’s mind… Madalyn could one day smile like in her vision.

“Good, you’re stable. You can focus on flying around now. Just imagine where you want to go, and the staff will take you there."

Goldie could feel the mana flowing through her body as she slowly floated in the stars. In awe, she opened her mouth wide, taking in the entire spectacle in the Grimoire of Reason. The stars twinkled differently as she passed them.

“Wooaaahhh!”

Her hair gently breezed for the first time in months and felt pleasant on Goldie's skin.

“M-Madalyn, I’m flying!”

 

 

She turned and noticed that she was far from the cobblestone world. Panic set in, and the contact between her and the staff broke.

“Huh?!”

It was then she began descending from the Grimoire of Reason. Her hat flew off into the void of the Grimoire. 

“Ahhhhh!”

Goldie screamed as she twirled further down. She was reminded that the way she left before was by doing this… falling off the edge of the world.

“Help! Help me!”

Goldie screamed. The fear crept in… the reality of what was on the other side. She wasn't prepared, and it caused her to start crying as her body spun deeper into the abyss.

 

 

“Shh… it’s okay, Goldie.”

A whisper came into her ear as a warmth engulfed her chest. Her teacher's arms wrapped around her from behind as they slowly ascended back into the world above. 

It seemed as though Madalyn warped herself to her staff and took control. Goldie struggled in fear, but her teacher held the magical staff, allowing them both to levitate in the vast space.

"I-I was so scared! Why did you leave me, Madalyn?!"

Goldie kicked and screamed as Madalyn held her tight.

“You had nothing to worry about. I wasn’t going to let anything happen to you.”

Through her sniffs, the golden child mumbled and cursed.

“I don’t want to fly anymore! It’s scary….”

Her chest grew warmer as Madalyn’s arms wrapped tighter around her. Her teacher placed her chin on her shoulder and whispered in her ear.

“You don’t have to fly anymore today… but you did a wonderful job.”

 

 

Confused, the troubled child looked back at her master. It was then she saw something… only found in her imagination.

Madalyn was smiling… and that smile was more beautiful than any jewel or pearl she'd ever seen or could imagine. It wasn't a broad smile or even that noticeable. Goldie could see the corners of her lips raised as those glacier eyes were soft and motherly.

Madalyn's smile was genuine… and that made Goldie's chest so tight it felt as though it was going to burst with all kinds of emotions she couldn't describe.

“D-Don’t let me go.”

Goldie pled with her savior as she held Madalyn’s arms tight.

“Don’t ever let me go again… I don’t want to be away from you, Madalyn.”

“Such a child.”

Madalyn said… sweetly.

The fear of leaving this world shook her to the core. Goldie's safety was in the isolated world with Madalyn. Goldie was in danger without Madalyn, and everything became real again, like the first day she escaped into the Grimoire of Reason.

Madalyn ended the training and made her way into the home with Goldie still wrapped in her arms. Madalyn held her in her arms like a baby and lied in bed with the still sobbing girl.

"We'll rest, and once we wake up, we'll try again, okay?"

Madalyn's tone was stoic, trying to ease the frightened girl's mind. Goldie held Madalyn close as they lay in bed together. The golden child's tears weren't stopping as she cried out to her teacher.

“I… I could have gone back by accident. I…”

“Shh… don’t think about it.”

Madalyn said as she caressed her thin golden hair.

"B-But…but I was…."

Goldie fought through the shaking of her voice and hiccups capturing her words. In tears, she confessed the feelings in her heart.

“I thought… that I messed up… and….”

Tenderly, Madalyn rubbed her golden hair, trying to soothe her student. In a meek voice, Goldie cried out.

"I like you, Maddy… and I want to save you… I… I was so scared... that I left you."

Madalyn's chest began to tighten for the first time… in a long time. She didn't know what to say. The magician had everything in order. She knew Goldie had no chance to return because she was there, making sure of it. But to hear that her fears weren't death… but the fear of leaving her teacher behind was something she didn’t expect.

“What… a good person you are.”

The teacher whispered to the sleeping child. Without realizing it, Madalyn held Goldie tighter in her arms.

"Maddy... I haven't been called that before."

She pondered.

"No... I think Annastella used to call me that."

Tenderly, the teacher rubbed the sad girl's soft back and promised her in a calm whisper...

 

“I won’t let you go again, my golden girl.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

12