Chapter 1: Your First Attempt.
266 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The branches tremble under the shadow of a large tree, its eminence covering the landscape in darkness. What light that remains shines down through the trees. Each beam a spotlight on the leafy foliage as it cascades down to the floor.  One such light laying itself on the body of a foreign creature, lying on the red leaves below it. The creature's body is green with a red underside and a dark green tail behind them. Their tired eyes open and dilate with the dim light under the trees. A groan comes from under their throat as they awaken. As they try to stand up, their form feels… unfamiliar. Sluggish and yet at the same time too quick. The being tries to get on their feet but as they attempt to stand their legs give out from under them. As they lay on their back, they look towards the sky. Tall trees cover the world above, with holes of blue breaking through the red and orange leaves.  Nothing familiar except a phrase that goes through their head.

“You are welcome. And I am sorry."

The being regards it as an... strange message to think as they wake up and as they think on it harder, they find something even more odd. Other than that phrase, they have no solid memory. The figure sits up as it tries to dig deep in themselves, only finding flashes of colors, sporadic smells and blurred sights moving their head as if they looked through a kaleidoscope of their experiences.  As they try to voice their concern, inflammation soars through their throat, cutting off any words. As they realize the ache in their throat, they soon come to realize the pangs of pain that flow through the rest of their structure. A head that's empty and yet it feels at the point of bursting. A body that feels starving and a tail that feels as though it has been put through the...

"Wait... tail?"

The thought crosses their mind as they look behind themselves. A long green tail, near the size of their body, is stuck behind them. A hand is placed on it and even then the sense of dysmorphia follows through as they realize that the hand only has 3 fingers and the entire outer body is green.  

"Ok then." the figure things as they look themselves over. "This is not what I am, but at the same time, I have no idea what I am. I'll freak out about this later." They put a mental note to have their moment of panic somewhere safe. After a quick look down and rest in the middle of... wherever they were, they proceeded to look around the area.

“Nothing but leaves and trees as far as the eye can see.Land is definitely developed but there's still nothing in terms of a town or a person. At the very least, I have time to think.” Questions race through their mind. More flashes of scattered memories appeared in their minds.

“What am I.?"

Something. Not this. Not Originally. The movements and weight are all wrong.

"Who am I?"

Someone. Apparently Green.

"Why was I asleep back there? "

You feel damaged and tired, most likely related to that.

"Why is every part of me so tired?”

A fight or something of that type.

"Why am I here?"

They try to search deep within themselves for that final answer and yet there is nothing but emptiness. “Later”. They say to themselves. “Get safe. And then find out later." The figure finally rises and starts their long walk.

(Elsewhere)

The leaves fall onto a rusted guard booth. The glass has long since been broken, leaving only a frame surrounding the open hole. It has been built into an old wall that stands beside it, the rocks fractured and showing signs of nature retaking it through subtle roots. Red tips from a bipedal figure run back and forth between the guard post and a sign saying "Autumn Embers"  as it mutters to itself. Singed leaves cover the grounds as it paces.

“Been too quiet lately hasn't it?" says the lagomorphic figure to itself.  "There used to be lots of people coming to fight old Ygg. And yet no one! No one for a week! What's with these Rescue folk? No one fancies a go at Ygg? Perfectly good dungeon right here! Not right in the head they are.” The Scorbunny ponders the reasons for this as they run faster between the two booths. Smoke starts to rise from underneath their feet.

“Can't be Old Ygg's been pronounced a dead run? Would've sent one of them fancy inquisitor types if'n he was. Couldn't be that. Been down there just last week. Bunch of blokes eyeing for a scrap down there. Maybe that old bird from Rushers finally decided she wanted to follow through on that threat. Well if it's something she wants, ol Liam can give 'er the old what... what.....what's that smell?”

Underneath the feet of this rambling rabbit, the smoke has become thick and dense, Liam's face becoming obscured in the darkness.

"Oi! What's this- oh bloody hell no, it's the 3rd time this week!”, the rabbit yelps to itself as it attempts to furiously stomp out the flames, trying to keep themselves cool in order to not start any more. Meanwhile, the green figure pushes themselves through the gate, ignoring the flames to the dislike of their tail which has caught alight. The figure takes 5 more steps into town before collapsing on their face. Meanwhile, the Scorbunny  has finished stamping out the final embers.

“Ok. Ok. I'm positively sure that it's all out now. Wait..Oi mate, you alright?”

Liam rushed over to the prone figure. pushing them on their side and patting down the flames on their tail. “Come on now, you're a… Treecko aren't ya? Don't worry, you're gonna be alright. Grass types like sunlight right?”

“Mmmmm”

“Right,you're kinda out of it. Don't worry though, your old pal Liam is on the case. Well, new pal but you get what I mean. Just don't tell anyone you got those scorch marks from me.”

Liam grabbed the Treecko by the legs and proceeded to drag him to the small village, the back of head stirring the leaves on the ground as they were pulled along on their spontaneous tour. Past the gate, the duo led themselves through the area, past the Kecleon storefront, past the Kangaskhan Storage and the Meowth running the Persian Bank. Past the garden maintained by Simisage, all under the watchful eye of the Braviary atop the Bell Tower in the middle of town. As Liam waved and the Treecko bore the brunt of leaves in his face, his mind started thinking as he awoke from his state of unconsciousness.

 “What's happening?”

Being Dragged.

“By who?”

Don't know, he's yappy though.

“Any intention to hurt me?”

No, there's nothing to suggest that yet. Be on your guard though. Kick first then bail. Run to the trees, they won't risk a forest fire.

  

  Finally, Liam drags the Treecko up the hill near a colossal bronze Statue, shining underneath the sun, peeking through the border between the forest and the massive tree overshadowing the underside of the hill.

  

  “And here it is mate, Ygg. himself.”

The duo stand before a tree that has excelled passed the land. The zenith of its growth has long since been out of sight as it stretches up into the trees. There is no chance of seeing the top of it from the grown, only the multitude of leaves from atop its many branches.

  "..."

  “Yeah, here's basically the only spot of sunlight not taken up by him or someone else. It's kinda weird right. A little bit of sunshine up here. It's bummer there isn't more like it here but I take what I can get personally.“ The Treecko on the ground lay dormant under the circle of light. He could feel himself get better, get rested. Grow. ”Anyway. I haven't seen someone come in for a while, so I was wondering if you were one of those rescue team folk. Maybe you came to see Ygg, I can show you a lot of the spots around town.

  ...

  Silence.

  

  “I get it, I get it. It's one of those 'need to know' type things isn't it?” Their faces lit up in barely contained excitement. It's clear that it's been awhile since they've seen a fresh face.

 

  “So anyway, what's your name?”

  

 As the query goes through the brain of the Treecko, he could only find flashes. Flashes of light. Flashes of this tree. Flashes of so many other places. Of meeting someone at this exact time. 

 

 Sort through it. It's there. Just under this.

 ... Nothing.

 ....Nothing.

 .....

 

 "Costello."

A wide smile appeared on the face of Liam.

" Well I'm Liam! Welcome to Autumn Embers friend!"

 

3