Chapter 1
768 3 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

KIA

“Chill. You seem terrified.”

These four words, despite being harmless, are enough to surprise me. 

This person…!

 

“You… you noticed?”

 

In my sixteen years of life, I’ve met countless wise and aware people, the best talents of their time.

Courtesy of my parents, of course, who have connections everywhere.

They came from distant regions and nearby ones alike. They spoke weird or familiar languages, and had ugly or beautiful appearances. That is to say -- I've seen my fair share of greatness.

I’ve spoken to great and wise mages who had lived for hundreds of years, reduced to nothing more than friends or familiars of my parents in the present time, and they complimented my lack of emotion.

I’ve met the most charismatic politicians of the nearby Republics, who examined me with extreme precision and then muttered: ‘if you lived in our country, maybe we wouldn’t be the ones sent here.’ 

None of these people had ever been able to understand what I was thinking, unless I told them or let it show.

 

But this time, before that girl told me, maybe I didn’t even know I was scared.

I have never seen a person so apt in reading my expressions, that I have learned since my youth to hide.

 

I… had just gotten closer because I was curious.

But it seems like this girl, who’s small and frail and sits on the ground with no respect, has more to her than I could’ve imagined.

Since I haven’t said anything in a while, maybe she's got back to watching that innocent hive and all the bees that fly nearby.

But, despite my thoughts, she says something amazing again.

 

“There’s nothing to be afraid of. You’re at school, not at war.” 

Her eyes, light green-colored and alike to the most vivid plants, never move from mine as she says that. She doesn’t show any fear.

They’re not defiant either. They’re just barely open, with a lowered eyebrow to express the air of confusion, and cute.

She looks at me as if she’s expecting me to respond. What should I even say to that?

 

After having said those cold words without any regard or empathy and betraying her previous sentence completely, she smiles.

Then, as I thought, her attention immediately goes back to those small bees that share the colour of her hair.

What… just happened? It’s like her behaviour just took a 180 degree turn. From an innocent student to an admiral…

Let me take a deep breath for a second. What did I even want to say? Oh, right.

 

“What’s your name?”

I get closer and ask, surprised by her behavior. If previously she had my curiosity, now she has my slight interest.

It’s a person I’ve never seen or heard of. With such unique looks, both cute and ethereally beautiful, I’d surely know her if she came from the Delian Empire. 

She’s definitely from another country…

Still, not my type.

 

Oh, maybe I’ve given myself away. Sorry, I skipped over an important detail.

Another reason why I could never be an Empress, no matter how hard I try, is that I’d never like to marry a noble or a prince from another nation.

Very simply, I don’t swing that way.

I never did, for how much I've tried. Not that my parents know. Well, for that I'd probably be dead.

But I’m done with surprises now.

Anyway… is this girl the daughter of a great mage from another country? Or, maybe the daughter of a sage known across the entire world? Or a noble, or an emperor?

 

“Aladora. That’s my name.”

And her surname…? Does she not have one?

If I was slightly interested prior, now I’m terrified and estranged.

In all places of the world, at least those I know, there’s something more fundamental than even your name proper. 

It’s your family name.

While a name is simple and ephemeral, hardly known by a great number of people, everyone knows the name of a famous family.

The Ezervak family from the Lightdark Valley, the Hellenslan family from the Delian Empire, the Korokos family from the Kingdom of Belaria, I can go on forever.

They’re all unforgettable family names — or, as they like to call them now, surnames.

Rolling out of the tongue of commoners and noble alike, they represent a legacy, a symbol of the actions of the past.

 

And this little girl… doesn’t even have a surname? Now that we live in more enlightened times, even the most forgotten of all have been forced to adopt a family name.

It’s used to identify the good and evil committed by them and their ancestors.

 

“Do you not have a family name?” I ask, trying to be as discreet as possible.

“No. Excuse me.” She answers with a modest air.

I think I misunderstood something.

"Understood. Don't worry."

“Anyways, a pleasure to meet you. I’m Kia Hellenslan, Princess of the Delian Empire.” I exclaim, maybe with a voice that’s too loud.

 

My goal was just to test the waters and understand if Aladora even knew me. I wanted to see if she’d become more timid and insecure after realizing I was a princess. 

Sadly, the effect’s just the opposite.

If before this moment everyone was looking at me, now that they heard me their attention is over the moon.

It doesn’t seem like the girl in front of me is interested, though.

 

“My pleasure.” She simply says without bowing, or changing her facial expression in any way.

So, she knew who I was? And she talked to me in such a courageous way?
Interesting.

“So, you’re not a noble. Why are you here, if I can ask?”

Let’s just drop all the formalities. No need to be cautious if the person in front of me can’t even appreciate it.

 

“Thanks to his majesty Lord Domingrad, brother of the Black Emperor, who with his endless generosity blessed me and allowed me to continue my studies.”

If before I had no clue what this little girl was thinking, now it’s clearer than the Sun.

As if she’s mocking Lord Domingrad, she’s reciting with bad quality a prearranged sentence.

Maybe she's bad at acting, after all. She must've been lucky before, guessing I was scared.

 

I think that, but a strange air continues to envelope her.

As she said, Lord Domingrad is the brother of the Emperor of the Black Empire, Johefus I. He’s also the most important noble in the country. 

To bless such a lowly girl, she must be really talented.

And, for how little I’ve known her, it’s already clear that she deserves the blessing.

She’s not afraid of royals, she isn’t terrified of talking and she might read facial expressions better than anyone else I’ve ever met. I wouldn’t be surprised if she was a spy in the first place.

Very, very interesting.

 

I want to talk more with her. There’s definitely a secret to uncover here.

As I’m thinking about all these things, I don’t notice that the enormous wooden doors are already open. It’s time to take part in the Academy’s classes, isn’t it?

Only a few people, the most naive and arrogant ones, are standing still to look at me.

The only other girl left is the one I was having a lovely talk with. She’s now gotten up from the ground and is waiting for me to head into the Academy, without saying anything.

 

I nod and move. Maybe I underestimated this school – maybe it’s not that bad.

“I’m coming.”

 

-=-

 

ALA

 

When I was younger, it was not rare that an adult came up to me while I was alone.

Looking at my face, believing it was confused and disoriented, they’d tell me not to be afraid. They also asked me if I wanted help in finding my parents.

Personally, it was never helpful to me. But I’ve always thought it could be useful for someone else. 

So, since I believe to be the adult in this situation, I feel that it’s my time to speak those words, hoping they’ll be useful.

“Chill. You seem terrified.”

The hive loses for a second my attention, in favour of a little girl with light blue doe eyes and enviable purple hair. A little girl that’s much taller than me, with an adorable look that fakes being an adult.

 

I don’t think the bees mind. Out of all the hives I’ve seen in the Empire’s territories, this is one of the gruffest.

That’s what happens when they let bees grow together with young and intolerant nobles. What did you expect?

The most royal bees of the Empire await my delegate to send them gifts before stopping by the palm of my hand, or something.

But between all the things that could happen on my first day at the Academy, finding a scared child in front of me is certainly the most unexpected.

 

“You… you noticed?” She asks.

Don’t look at me with such a surprised face! I didn’t do anything difficult.

If you hide your emotions this way, anyone with some experience will understand what you’re thinking.

I internally smile. I’ve already betrayed my own words, out of my own volition.

It's that no gentle person could ever abandon a disoriented child… not that I’m a gentle person.

 

Two days ago, after Domingrad convinced me to join the New Royal Academy, I told him I wouldn’t have spoken to anyone. That I’d behave well, that he shouldn’t worry.

He said: ‘I know you won’t kill anyone. I trust you and know you well by now. But trust me, eventually you’ll talk.’

And, it seems he was indeed right and knew me well. I wouldn’t have said it. Maybe this girl’s a spy from his palace, born and raised to make sure he was right in this bet… he would do it.

 

Yes, Domingrad would do it. He’s the type of person to raise a child with the only intention to be right.

Only after a second do I realise a great truth.

I… I can’t help her! This duty’s not for me.

 It would’ve been much easier to kill the person that makes her feel this way, but I chose to avoid doing that…

It’s time to use diplomatic measures.

I could ask her how she feels. Scratch that, no point.

I know how she feels.

Let’s avoid asking questions, actually. 

If I was five years old and I was lost in the great Kelagos markets, then I’d be wary of a person who gets close to me and asks a question.

“There’s nothing to be afraid of. You’re at school, not at war.” 

 

That’s not what I should’ve said.

I’m wrong. I’m wrong, right? Was that not correct?

Well, no need to cry over spilled milk, even if this kid never went to war. I said it now.

Despite my thoughts, the girl’s terrified face becomes slightly curious.

 

“What’s your name?”

So, that was the proper way. Not bad on my end.

Another success for me.

“Aladora. That’s my name.”

And, exactly as if what I said just a second ago was nothing more than an illusion, I make a mistake now. At least, I think so.

 

Why’s her expression worse than before?! Is she from Black City? Does she know the meaning of my name? That would be sad to say the least.

“Do you not have a family name?”

No. Not anymore.

“No. Excuse me.”

Maybe that’s what scared her. I heard that for nobles and royals surnames have great importance, so it’d have been better to mutter my family name as well.

Maybe she now believes I’m a criminal and doesn’t want to talk to me anymore.

I mean, that’s fine. A criminal is not much different than what I am.

 

And, anyway, my goal is not to become anyone’s friend in this Academy. 

I’m here to do a favour to an annoying guy, not to make good memories with fake people

So, I’ll just be honest.

After all, once a person is disowned by their family, their surname has to be abandoned. It would be a lie to say I have a family name.

“Understood. Don’t worry.”

 

“Anyways, a pleasure to meet you. I’m Kia Hellenslan, Princess of the Delian Empire.”

A big fish, huh. 

Is it offensive to say I don’t know her?

Probably. I’ll just try not to show it.

Saying I didn’t learn a lot at school would be an understatement. 

My knowledge of the world is mostly through experience and some books I’ve read in my hometown.

 

So, the Delian Empire is something I know very little about. 

I know it’s close to the Black Empire.

Oh and also, if there was a war, the latter would definitely lose.

Especially in this period following the war, in which the army’s weakness is beyond clear.

 

If this nation hasn’t been prey to the Delian Empire, a famously authoritarian and accentrated Empire, it must’ve been because our revolution was not a fratricidal war, but a peaceful insurrection.

That was thanks to my efforts. No offence to Johefus and Domingrad.

 

Still, the fear those two have at the mention of the ‘Delian Empire’ cannot be understated.

It makes sense that they’d be scared. After all, they have the Empire’s fate at heart, as it’s their home.

But I can’t empathise with them. Whether this country falls or survives, it doesn’t change anything to me.

Actually, isn’t it better to get to know my future ruler? Maybe she’ll find me a better job.

 

“So, you’re not a noble. Why are you here, if I can ask?”

It seems like the person in front of me has abandoned all formalities at this point.

“Thanks to his majesty Lord Domingrad, brother of the Black Emperor, who with his endless generosity blessed me and allowed me to continue my studies.”

I speak this sentence as if I have been obliged to say it. 

Please, understand I’m not a friend of Domingrad, understand I don’t want to be here…

If you kill him in ten years, just know his death doesn’t affect me. Don’t exile me.

Her face, her reaction, they all make me understand I’m standing in front of an ingenuous princess. Or, at least, one that lacks experience.

 

While the old and weird doors of the Academy open, I realise that this conversation might not be so helpful in the future.

Given the importance of the person talking to me, everyone is looking at me, even those inside the building.

I’m sitting, showing my lack of respect towards a future ruler that’s standing in front of me, while I don’t even have a surname.

I bet that some of these people, nobles and royals, can’t wait to punish me and hurt me.

 

That’s fine. I promised.

 

I told that idiot collaborator of mine that I’d come here.

I won’t go back on my words just because of some pain.

 

Thinking all those things, with the peaceful and harmonious sound of bees entering and leaving the hive, I almost don’t notice that Kia Hellenslan is waiting to accompany me inside.

 

The only people left here are gazing at me as if I’m a killer anyway. It’s not my fault, I promise.

I get up.

“I’m coming.”


Let’s smile.

19