Chapter 4 A Compulsory Summons
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

RBR Chapter 4 A Compulsory Summons

"Uncle Ben, what a pleasant surprise!" Elec said after crossing the road, directing his heartfelt smile at the man with white hair and the few wrinkles marring his kindly face. He was one of the few people who treated him the best within his clan.

"What is this about? You always drive my father...could it be that he has need of me?" Elec's mood sunk low at that question and when the man nodded, it sunk even further.

-----

Elec looked out the window as the car glided along the magnetic road. People lined the streets, walking, peddling, kids coming back from school, not just his own but also others with different uniforms. Musayi Secondary School and all the others were located at the edges of the city, close to the giant walls separating them from the savage lands outside. As the car drove towards the center, the buildings got taller and taller.

Even with all the bustle on the street, Elec wasn't in the mood to take notice as butterflies were fluttering within his stomach at the grim situation he had found himself in, a meeting with his father.

Baguma was the one parent he dreaded the most among his two. He didn't particularly abuse or discipline him harshly, but his imposing presence alone brought pressure upon him. It was like being within the maw of a savage beast, capable of devouring you upon closing his mouth. He inhaled deeply, this was going to be another one of those meetings where he had to keep balancing on his toes.

"Uncle Ben, do you know what this is about? Why would he summon me all of a sudden?" Elec asked the driver. Knowing thy enemy was always the key to victory...of course this was his father, not the enemy, but Elec had the inkling that the saying fit perfectly.

"This is the first time even I haven't been told anything. He's being...secretive." The old man's voice appeared surprised, which was warranted given the fact that Baguma always gave him insight into his plans.

"What about naming me as heir? Has he decided?" Elec asked, half afraid of the answer he will get.

"You have asked me that almost everytime you see me...and the answer is always the same, he hasn't spoken about it." Elec picked out the exasperated sigh.

"What about those bastards of his? Mother and I know they exist even though we have never seen one. I hope he doesn't bring them into the main family." 

His father was the scourge of the city, his reputation of bedding every pretty woman he laid his eyes on, having preceded him. It was just that he was too strong, too influencial, that none dared to say it to his face...well, except the Partriach of the Mpologomas, that man was bold and wild, no one able to reign him in.

Elec grinded his teeth at the thought that those illegitimate bastards were somewhere plotting to usurp his place. They were probably only biding time until his father somehow vanished.

"I hope none show up, because I don't even dare to fathom what my mother and I will do to them." He said venomously.

"Relax my dear boy. Even I don't think Baguma will allow them to appear." Uncle Ben's soothing voice calmed him down. 

"...besides, you have plenty of time, four entire years before your awakening. Heirs are decided after that mostly." The man's words caused his nails to dig into his palms, face turning white.

'The awakening', it was the one event he dreaded the most. The rumors he had heard hadn't been enough to even serve as an introduction into the horror of the ceremony. He hadn't been qualified to watch it at just ten years old, Baguma, his father, had apparently decided that he should watch. He had been nervous and excited for something new until he watched a distant aunt he didn't know awaken. It was like her entire cellular structure had rebelled, trying to pull itself away from the skeleton, the most horrifying hour of his entire life!

He shook his head to try and get rid of the nightmares he had chosen to keep locked away in his memories which had been invoked by Uncle Ben. 

"Baguma made a wrong decision that time. That hadn't been the right time...only those who have finished their awakening can view the ceremony." Uncle Ben understood his pains.

Elec had spent almost two years, haunted by that event.

"Uncle Ben, if I manage to go through the awakening, can I become as powerful as the gorilla king?" Elec decided to bring in something else that would chase away his terror.

"Nah, not right away, that requires extensive training and will power." 

"I have heard the rumors floating around, he's being described as having been a monster in human flesh." Elec decided to continue asking. The Mpologomas hadn't always been the ones in charge of Kampala city...there had been some other family, its clan head, the most powerful man that had ever lived...well, on this side of the world of course.

"That man, he truly was monstrous! I will tell you this Elec, we are all cowards...only he, had been different." Uncle Ben said with a sigh laced with shame and admiration. It was so thick that even Elec managed to pick up on it, which brought him even more puzzlement.

"The wild savages are unforgiving lands, but he managed to even cause those monstrosities, eyeing this city in the dark, to remember his name. Tsk! Tsk!" 

Elec had the feeling that uncle Ben had become somewhat of a fan. What kind of human was able to evoke such feelings within his uncle, a being at the same level as his father? He became even more curious.

"There are very many threats surrounding this city from the outside. My dear Elec, I know that the awakening is terrifying to you, but this city wouldn't even last a day if those monsters decided to take action. Only by bring strong would you be able to protect your life."

"I know..." Elec breathed in deeply, no matter how scared he was, the moment his age clicked to 20, he would have to undergo the ceremony to awaken his cells or else he would be doomed to mediocrity. Besides, that would be a surefire way that would enable him to succeed his father as clan head.

"Do you think that newly revealed scion of the Musota-Butwa clan has gone through the awakening?" The image of those emerald strands evoked the question. He had to ask as it was puzzling how that clan had secretively hidden her away.

"No one knows. Its the reason why those little children are trying to befriend her. They have been ordered to find out."

"Oh! What about me, then? I am in the same class as her. Why haven't I received such orders from my father?" Elec asked. He was eager to do something. Since young, his father had never asked him for anything on his behalf. One day, he had even worked up the courage to ask his mother whether Baguma truly was his father. He could never forget the look she had given him then. The sorrow and complication in those dull silver eyes of hers had been so thick, that he had opted to run away by changing the topic, vowing to himself thag he'd never ask again.

"Your father doesn't care. He's a man whose mind is probably in the future while his body stays in the present. Think about it, so what if she is awakened? Unless she's as strong as the clan leaders themselves, the rest doesn't matter. She will just be labeled as another prodigy and the world will continue to spin. Do you think that its important?" Uncle Ben's words caused Elec to do a double take.

He was right. What was the point of knowing that she had awakened? The knowledge wouldn't particularly be valuable to him.

"...uncle Ben, you are right about that." He said before moving his gaze back towards the streets. The car was heading towards the center where the Masanyalaze clan resided. Hoverboarding teens, adults taking a walk, those retiring from work, those crowding by the illegal stalls, those watching the road through the glass as they enjoyed their meals in the restaurants...all this served to make him feel how vibrant the city truly was. The sun was beating down onto their dark skin, but they bore through it even with the beads of sweat on their faces. 

'Life is wonderful, the mundane things are a joy.' He smiled as he looked at them, going about their tasks. Peace; how he loved it. 

'If father was the same as the others, always assigning tasks to me, would I have felt the freedom I have now?' A conflicting feeling appeared, weighing down on his mind. 

The car continued to speed along with Uncle Ben's skilled hand, just like how the world would continue spinning, regardless of the complicated thoughts of one lone teenager.

Elec leaned back after getting his feel of the bustling streets, closing his eyes and resting his mind. He had to prepare himself for the pressure that he was about to feel in the presence of his father. Honestly, he didn't want to meet the man, but since he had sent his own vehicle with Uncle Ben at the helm, then, that meant that whatever he was needed for seemed important. His whimsical nature as a teen needed to be kicked to the side for an adult and mature version of himself to take over.

0