0.The Interview
179 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Grant shakes his head, his light brown hair falling out from in front of his face. While he makes the turn into a massive corporate parking lot. A deep pit gnawing at his chest, as he looks around for a parking spot.

Sapphire Industries, the premier technological company in the entirety of the United States, let alone north Virginia. And today he has an appointment to speak with Sapphire herself as a prospective employee. 

 

Hearing from his professor at CC College, that he’d put a good word in with Sapphire herself, during one of the yearly check ups. To ensure that everything is going well with the integration of visor technology into the college had been enough to nearly drive him catatonic.

Let alone being actually invited in for an interview a few months before graduation, to tour the facility and see if he’d like to work for her.  

 

As he pulls into one of the back parking spots. He glances down at the plain black suit, with red button up shirt, he’d rented for the interview, it’s definitely oversized for his comparatively demure frame. But it’s the best that he could afford either way, no matter how much the idea of being in a suit feels like drinking poison.

 

Stepping out of his copper rust bucket of a car, he looks up at the massive factory. Prominent S logo, and ivy growing up the side. Evoking a feeling of abandonment in the architecture, which makes sense given the facility was originally bought because it’d been condemned when Sapphire was just starting the company.

 

He internally thanks the internet for having a lot of records on the foundation of Sapphire Industries. Even if there’s an obnoxious amount of conspiracy theories courtesy for the JJ news cast about them controlling the weather and other insane concepts. 

 

Grant shrugs and starts to walk through the parking lot. That’s kinda what you get when you have anyone from the magical community running a public company. Misgivings abound, even when they’re not trying to integrate it with technology. 

 

As he walks his eyes trace over all the other cars in the parking lot. Overwhelmingly so electric cars take up nearly every spot, not too much of a surprise for a mega corp Sapphire Inc has notoriously attempted to do the bare minimum to be eco conscious, at least it appears to be on the surface at least. 

 

As he gets caught up inside of his head, he walks up to the front doors of the facility. The glass doors sliding open to allow him inside, the fluorescent lights matching the early January morning brightness flawlessly. 

 

Dragging himself out of his thoughts he looks around, first noticing a series of displays along the nearest wall. A complete timeline of the history of the company, different shapes and sizes of their primary export visor technology. 

 

The oldest one looks like a blue brick of wires, with poorly put together glass sliding where your eyes would be. While the earmuffs are late 80s brick headsets. A small pad that apparently interfaces with your temple to control the computer housed within.

Most certainly not practical in the slightest, as he looks down at the plaque he realizes why. It’s the first headset that had ever been made, apparently within Sapphire and her late wife’s college dormitory in the early 80s.

 

Grant blinks a few times as he goes back to staring at the prototype visor. It’s weird seeing a piece of history just sitting in front of him behind a thin sheet of glass.

 

Makes him wonder why he wasted all of his time in college cowering in his room rather than trying to progress technology himself. It’s not like he doesn’t know how, he’s basically been coding since he was 10 let alone working with visors. 

 

His expression sours as the thought of his first visor slips through his mind. Shaking his head he turns his head and forces himself to continue down the line, cutting that the thought of his family out before it can get him worked up before an interview that can change his life. 

 

Going down the line each piece of technology gets slimmer, until half way down there’s a display that doesn’t show a visor. And instead displays the neural interface that they’ve been using since the 2010s. 

 

It’s a series of inconceivably thin wires, all that go in through your ears and with the help of incredibly small amounts of magic interface with your brain. Allowing for control down to the picosecond. 

 

Given the assumed fragility of the technology Grant can’t help but be astounded by the fact that they have the fact there’s only ever been one failure of the device. Which he vaguely remembers from when he was little, there was a recall on a whole wave of the tech when it happened.

Some were even thinking the company would go under, but through some miracle of marketing… and probably a lot of hush money, they sprung back with the newer safer models and haven’t had an accident sense. 

 

“Are you Grant Marson?” A voice charms from the far side of the room opposite the wall Grant had gotten caught up admiring. Causing him to turn around, noticing an older woman. Likely in her late fifties, with pure white hair that goes down to her back. She’s wearing both a visor with a white tint to the screen and a suit that matches its color. Internally he wonders how much of a nightmare keeping a white suit clean must be.

As his eyes jump around for more information, he notices sitting on the desk in front of her is a label saying ‘Pearl Gemstone’. “Um yes, that’s me!” He quickly adjusts his suit the best that he possibly can. Only now realizing he’d messed up one of the buttons and the entire thing is off kilter by one notch. 

 

“Well I’m Pearl, and we’ve been very excited to have you in today. Just take a seat anywhere you’d like, and Miss Gemstone will come see you as soon as possible.” Pearl gestures over to a line of seats that are right up against the far wall. A large steel door right next to them. 

 

“Oh yes of course. It’s an honor to be invited here Ma’am.” Grant quickly scurries over to the seats. Trying to undo and rebutton his suit while he does, turning to look away from Pearl while he does. As that one fumble caused his earlier pit of anxiety to start bubbling up into a much larger black hole of tension. 

 

Once he’s done adjusting the suit, which now feels three sizes too big without the added tension of messing one of the buttons up. He slides his phone out, also gemtech branded like anything else in this town. 

 

He pulls up a dumb anime mobile gacha game and starts to fiddle around with it. Just trying to drag his mind away from the moment until the interview starts. 


Thunk, the steel door that had been previously locking off the rest of the facility slides up and into the ceiling. Causing Grant’s head to shoot up, and get a good look at the woman of the hour. Sapphire Gemstone, a resounding 7 foot 5, icy blue eyes that look like they could freeze the sun locked away behind the glass of a visor.

Her inky black hair is tied back in the same way as Grant’s, while a smile rests firmly on her face. The type that has the confidence to convince anyone of anything at the drop of a hat.

 

She’s dressed in a suit as well, except instead of barely fitting inside of it. She appears to fill out every last curve perfectly, accenting her already athletic physique.  “Why hello Grant, it’s very nice to meet you.” She speaks with a prominent Irish accent, as she puts a hand out for him.

 

Grant gulps and shoves his phone into his pocket, as he uses the wrong hand to try and shake Sapphire’s. A blush shooting onto his cheeks, as he quickly switches hands back and shakes it. “It’s an honor to meet you Ma’am!” He stammers out, struggling to maintain eye contact with the over two foot difference in height. 

 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you as well.” Sapphire pivots as she speaks, the hand that had been shaking Grant’s pulling back and nearly throwing him in the process. Causing him to stumble as he comes to a stop next to her, struggling to process how a woman is strong enough to almost throw him while in the process of letting go of a handshake.

 

As he looks around he’s met with a hallway filled with different colored doors every few feet. Windows inside revealing teams of specialists, all in visors working on projects that won’t hit the market for the next year at least. 

 

“Here at Sapphire Inc we try our best to constantly strive to improve all forms of technology. Far beyond what some may consider our modern limits, given your college. You’ve experienced visor use before, correct?” As she speaks her hands sit behind her back, holding on to one another.

 

“Y-yes Ma’am. I was actually the head of my class in the programming course. I’ll admit the tendrils can be a bit uncomfortable during prolonged use, but that’s not been a real issue.” Grant chuckles and rubs the hand that he’d been pulled by. Almost worried that she’d managed to dislocate something during the accidental throw. 

 

“Indeed, sadly the visors we have sent to colleges are made to be as easily used as possible for as many students as possible. This makes the ‘tendril’ tech as it’s been called less perfectly accurate.” Sapphire shakes her head and laughs lightly as she glances back at him. “But I can assure you. If you do end up working with us, you’ll never feel discomfort from your visor.”

 

“I’m sure it won’t be…” Grant nods and flashes a meek smile back at Sapphire. Trying his hardest to emulate even a fraction of the woman's radiating confidence.  

 

After a minute of walking they reach a dark oak door at the end of the branching hallways. Sapphire grabbed the handle and opened it up for him, gesturing for him to walk inside.

 

Grant squeaks into the office, it’s fairly plain in comparison to what you’d expect for a CEO of a major organization. Just a large desk the same color as the door they’d walked in through, two chairs that are simple rolling chairs, and a few pictures of Sapphire standing with another woman who had green hair. 

 

He flops down in the closest chair, watching as Sapphire slowly struts around the desk and sits down in front of him. Leaning up against the desk and the bottom of her hands. “So please Grant, pitch to me why I should hire you.”

 

Grant can’t help but gulp, shuddering under his suit. Suddenly relieved at its size, as it allows him to hide a little bit of his horror. “Well, I was on track for early graduation from my college. Excelling in all the STEM courses, not just coding…” His eyes flick away from her, as he takes a breath and tries to rebuild a little of his confidence. 

 

“I’ve plenty of time and willpower to commit to the company. My relationship with my family is deteriorating and the reason I was looking for work recently. Then my teacher told me he’d recommend me to you, and I couldn’t say no to such a wonderful opportunity.” 

 

Sapphire nods while her dim visor lights up for a moment. Her eyes flicking side to side several times, humming a few times at what she’s reading. “Very good. Now I’m looking through everything you sent me, and your college records your teacher sent me. Though I’ve noticed your grades have been dropping recently. You mentioned your family, yes? Is that what’s causing this?” She leans forward slightly, Grant getting a good look at her eyes staring through him like he’s a ghost.

 

Alright, I guess he’s doing this. She of all people will understand… she has to or he’s so screwed. “Yeah, family issues. I’ve been trying to explore my identity, they didn’t like it and threatened my funding to go to college if I don’t cut it out.” He sighs and gives up on maintaining eye contact. Feeling absolutely pathetic in comparison to the woman before him, what’s he even doing? It’s not like capitalists are known for their never-ending empathy. 

 

When he finally looks up at Sapphire, to his shock she’s grinning wider than ever. Those prior cold eyes nearly sparkling behind the headset. “Well, there’s no need to fear. We support all identities here.” Grant pushes his legs together in response. “I can promise, we do everything in our power to give our employees the resources to become their true selves.” 

 

His blood runs cold with the implication of Sapphire’s words. She knows of course she knows idiot, it’s not like you do the best job of pretending to be a guy. 

 

His head falls into his hands as he feels himself being pulled away from the moment. Away from everything to just stew on the question that he’s been pushing down all morning. 

 

He’s only broken out of the spiral as loud laughing fills his ears. “Hey, is there somethin on your mind.” She tilts her hand from side to side. “It’s gotta be pretty big if you’re doin it now.”

 

Shit, uh make something up. Something close enough to the truth. “Uh, just the idea of an accepting workplace. It’s a… new experience.” He shakes his head, and groans. “I’ve totally blown this interview, I really am thankful for you inviting me here though.”

 

Sapphire rolls her eyes, and leans back. “Well you’re right about that, but I’ll hire you under one condition.” She puts one finger up in front of him. “You have to tell me about this issue you’re having. You’re clearly a smart person, but I don’t want an employee who’s so caught up in their head that it’s all they can focus on.” 

 

Grant’s eyes widen as he’s given this last life line. Alright, it’s time to hop into the deep end. His hand shoots inside his suit pocket, and pulls out the phone. “O-of course, just give me one-” He taps on it a few times, and slides a picture across the desk for Sapphire to see.

 

It’s a picture of him in a flowing summer dress. A small smile on his face, rather than the general misery that he’s displayed this morning. “I’ve been dealing with dysphoria…” He barely whispers his words. “I just… wish I was a girl.”

 

She closes her eyes and waits, waits for rejection. Waits for anger, waits for any of a million negative responses to her mere existence. Only to feel a hand gently land on her shoulder, and pull her in for a hug. 

 

“Darlin, that’s something we can easily accommodate. Given my own personal history, I even have a program for my gender non-conforming employees.” Grant doesn’t dare open their eyes as they’re pulled into this awkward hug. Heat spreads across their face as they lean into it, not daring to return the hug. 

 

After a minute Sapphire pulls back, and kneels down to be on the same level of Grant. Her smile is soft, lacking that prior harsh arrogance. “I’ll have to handle all the paperwork, but for now you can consider yourself hired.”

 

Their heart feels like it’s stopped when the words come out of Sapphire’s mouth. Their breathing goes shallow, and their entire body is shaking. They are going to be free, no more parents threatening them, able to actually become who they wanna be… who she wants to be. “Thank you Ma’am, thank you so much. I look forward to working with you.” 

 

She finally returns Sapphire’s smile and rubs her arm. Playing with the hem of the suit, which feels entirely inappropriate as an outfit at this point. 

 

“Of course, now that you’re officially working with us though. We can go and get your custom visor for your shifts!” Sapphire stands up and takes her hand, guiding her to stand up as they head back into the hallway. “You know Pearl right? She was actually the first to undergo the program herself. She’s one of my most trusted companions these days.”

 

“R-really?” Grant looks down slightly, she had absolutely no idea. As they walk through the halls, she can’t help but feel almost like a lost puppy. Latching onto the first person who’d been able to give her any hope. All of this has become simply too overwhelming to believe the reality of the situation, so she might as well follow this dream as far as it will go.

 

“Like I said, we're supportive of all employees' lifestyles. If a worker is their true self, they’re also their most productive.” They turn down several more hallways, before Sapphire knocks a few times on a sky blue door. Pausing for a moment, before watching it slide open. “And this is my personal workshop, where I make all the visors for this program alongside my new employees. I consider it fundamental to trust building.”

Grant leans around and looks inside the workshop. Her eyes tracing along technology that wasn’t even on display at the entrance. Visor with half the size, but assumedly the exact same amount of processing power if not more. 

 

Moving inside she starts looking at the sets of different colored visors and headsets. Each with a specific size and shape to accommodate different body types, and facial structures. She could see a few with slits for elven ears, and even some with spots for different shapes, and sizes, of anthro ears to stick through the headband.

 

It’s a relief to see the anthro options, after the hybridization of human and lycan genetics was used to create them a few years back. Tension has been high, and accessibility for the incredibly small part of the population that has started to transition is nearly non-existent.

 

Seeing a major corporation working on this here, gives her a little hope for things getting better over the next for you. “Well then where do we start? I’ve always been a fan of red.” She chuckles lightly as she looks over the wall of visor tints, all of them displayed in a rainbow of options. 

 

“Well then that’s perfect. I have everyone in this program pick a color associated with a gemstone. That way, everyone who partakes can be protected by name.” Sapphire walks up and grabs a few of the red visor shapes. Placing them on her face one at a time, until Grant raises her hand that the fit is right.

“I’d put yours down as Ruby, it can also work as a name until you pick one yourself if you’d like.” She chuckles and waves Grant along and moves to the next part of the workstation. One that has several sizes of earmuffs on it.  

 

The newly labeled ‘Ruby’ follows behind. Watching as Sapphire works with the headsets, fascinated by the confidence. Wondering if she’ll ever get to that point. “Thank you Ma’am, I’ll go with that for now…”

 

As she smiles, Sapphire leans down with several earmuffs in her hands. Starting to press them up against her ears. “Tell me which one doesn't have any discomfort.” As Sapphire speaks a cool tendril slides inside her ear. It’s a little bit too small, so once it pulls back out she shakes her head no. 

 

This takes several attempts, as there’s many shapes and sizes to be accounted for when dealing with ears. But eventually she raises her hand once again. “This one is good.”

 

Sapphire grins and turns around. Starting to put the visor together. Showing off remarkable speed and skill with the process, especially considering that she’s a CEO. Ruby wouldn’t have been surprised if she didn’t even know how her own headsets worked before she showed up here today. 

 

Eventually everything clicks into place, and the visor starts to glow with a gentle light red. Sapphire turns around and holds it out infront of Ruby. “Alright Ruby, this is the big step. Put on your visor and you’ll officially be on board.” 

 

Ruby gently reaches out and takes the visor in her hands, it feels light. Almost impossibly so, but she’s learned better than to doubt weight with how advanced these things have been getting. She slowly slides it over her head and winces slightly as the chill of the tendrils slides into her head. At the very least they’re the right size. 

 

As the visor starts to load up all of its programs. Ruby starts to wobble from side to side, the world beyond her becoming more hazy by the second. She stumbles forward toward Sapphire as her legs feel ready to give up.

 

As everything starts to go black, Sapphire pulls Ruby up into her arms. Ruby reaches up, pushing her hand up against Sapphire’s face in both confusion and terror. Accomplishing less than nothing before she completely passes out. 

 

                                                                                                                            * * * 

 

Ruby’s eyes shoot open, and she’s floating inside of a black void. She tries to look for any way out, and only sees a massive gemstone below her. It’s a bright red ruby… “Miss Gemstone, what’s going on?!” She shouts out, before being forced to sit in silence for a minute. 

 

She starts to wonder if this was all just a dream, and this is the bitter ending before she wakes up late and realizes that she missed the interview. That is until Sapphire’s voice comes out of the darkness echoing around her. 

 

“That’s very simple Ruby, you’re my gemstone now. I like to keep my gemstones.” The voice is soft, almost instinctively calming to a deep part of Ruby. This almost distracts her from the fact she’s started to fall down, sinking into the now rippling gemstone. “Don’t worry darling, by the time we’re done we’ll be rid of that icky Grant, and you will be all that’s left.”

 

Ruby starts rapidly trying to step out of the gemstone only to quicken her descent with every effort. Waves ripple around her as an invisible force pulls her in. “Wait! I don’t want to…” Her voice is stricken with icy horror. Only to have Sapphire's voice cut her off as a massive virtual form of the woman appears in front of the gem. Making her feel smaller than ever before, barely a gnat in comparison to the woman before her. 

 

“Yes, you do Ruby. I’ve been watching you for so long. You’ve been trying to escape who you were for years.” The behemoth moves slowly. Reaching out and pressing a finger down on top of Ruby’s head, forcing her down deeper into the gem with each and every movement.

 

“That’s just the last bits of Grant. Someone who needs to be buffed out, before you can be a perfect little Ruby. Oh how I missed having a Ruby. I’m going to take so much better care of you.” Sapphire speaks with a coo, as she presses down and shoves Ruby the last few inches until she’s fully sucked inside of the gemstone.

 

To her shock, despite her inability to move or speak inside the gem, Ruby’s eyes shoot around in surprise. She has no issue breathing in here at all despite the gem tightening around her. It almost seems to be posing her in a subservient posture, hands in front and head down slightly.

 

“There we go, you look so very pretty like that Ruby. Here let me show you.” Sapphire’s massive form pulls up a reflection of Ruby in her predicament. She now sports a long, bright red head of hair, whilst wearing a pink and red dress that left very little to the imagination. 

 

“You are gonna be my perfect little Ruby. I’m going to take so much better care of you. She broke… but you won’t.” Sapphire gently pets the gem. “You won’t break on me… not after I’m done buffing out your old identity.” She chuckles grimly as the dream fades away.

 

                                                                                                                    * * *

 

Ruby wakes up with a start, noticing that she’s in an unfamiliar bedroom with blindingly bright pink walls. The bed is covered with stuffed animals, and she has been dressed up in the same dress as in the dream. She tries to get up so she can run and get help, but her body refuses to move. As if she's a marionette with its strings cut, she lays limp on the bed. 

 

Internally she yells to herself, don’t panic. Think this through, this can’t actually be happening right? Her breath hitches as she hears the door on the opposite side of the room click and start to pull open. 

 

Sapphire strolling inside, dressed in the same dark blue dress shirt from earlier but now missing the suit jacket. “Oh good, you’re finally awake. I’ve been wondering how long the basic programming would take.” She hums to herself and walks up to Ruby, who internally tries to wince away but only achieves a slight twitch of her pinky finger.

 

“You have an impressively complex mind, it was quite difficult getting past all those silly blocks you put in my way.” Ruby watches as Sapphire sits down on the bed, her eyes widening slightly the closer the woman gets. She wants to argue with Sapphire, to yell and scream and threaten to go to the cops.

 

Another slight twitch of her finger is all that she gets out of her body despite this.

 

“Now now sweetie, there’s no need to worry. You picked out becoming my Ruby. She was my most precious gemstone. So now that you’re my ruby I’m so happy to have you.” Sapphire’s hand gently brushes through Ruby’s hair. Revealing the now red coloration of her hair to the girl. 

 

“Your old family didn’t love you. Not how I can, they wanted to destroy you! But that doesn’t matter anymore, just gotta buff out these last few pieces of Grant, then you’ll be so much happier.” Sapphire pulls Ruby up into her lap. The girl’s heart racing and pounding at a million miles a minute. 

 

As she’s talked down to Ruby can’t help but notice a feeling. A seed buried deep down inside of her chest, implanted there by a foreign hand. One filled with need and desperation, lingering doubt, the smallest feeling that perhaps Sapphire’s right.

She’s never been treated well by family, so why not fall down into the comforting lie. Why not embrace the delusion and try to hope that this time she’ll be treated better.

 

As she’s getting caught inside that questioning spiral, Ruby feels a pressure against her crotch. Her breath hitching slightly as it started to rub back and forth, causing that seed in her chest to start to blossom with the fuel of shame. 

 

“Now just relax, Sapphire will make this as nice as she can. Just let Grant sink away, okay darling?” 

 

Ruby hears the words, but doesn’t truly process them. Her body moves without her mind, encouraging what’s happening as she’s a passenger. Falling apart, crumbling in the arms of the woman who controls everything. 

 

That seed keeps growing with each of Sapphire’s movements, wrapping around her mind. Heart, soul, restricting what little of her was left of her within its unending grip and tension.

 

She hardly notices when she doesn’t feel anxious anymore, when she goes from a caged animal trapped within this woman’s arms. To a docile thing, cuddling up against the larger woman’s chest.

 

After all she is in Sapphire’s arms, and that is the place safest for all gemstones. Each moment she drifts further and further down into that prison, the vision of the ruby gemstone coming back to the forefront of her brain. 

 

She sees someone in there, deep at the core of the pressure. Held away from her consciousness in a prison of control, a name passes through her mind for a mere moment… it started with a G right?

 

Her eyes flutter slightly as she considers that question, before she shakes her head. No that can’t be right, she’s Ruby after all. It’s best not to think about what’s in there, and so she doesn’t.

 

She lets the gem and its hidden prisoner drift away into her subconscious. There’s no reason to question things, she’s obviously thinking too hard.

 

Then the tension snaps, Ruby tenses for a moment. Euphoria consuming her senses, as arms strong as iron wrap around her physical body. Constricting her, keeping her safe, imprisoning her, saving her from the world

 

The fight inside of her feels like it could go on forever, until her body shaking and shuddering goes limp. Her head finding itself resting up against Sapphire’s bosom, the woman’s warm expression consuming her thoughts as once again everything goes black.

 

                                                                                                                  * * *

It could have been a million years, or less than ten minutes. Ruby’s not sure which, and the moment she starts considering it her brain starts to blank out and resets her thought process. 

 

Looking down she’s met with a pair of red velvet pajamas. Perfectly fitted to her size and body shape, she runs her fingers along them. Getting caught up in the comforting texture. 

 

Hello Ruby, Congratulations on waking up. You’re officially part of the family, my most precious gemstone. Ruby’s eyes widen and she starts to look around curiously, the light red tint of the visor on her head discoloring everything as she tries to find whoever spoke. 

 

Oh you silly girl. I’m simply speaking to you through the visor. Don’t worry Mommy Sapphy will be there to take care of you soon. A comforting wave of reassurance floods through Ruby’s chest as Sapphire’s voice fades away. Leaving the girl alone for the first time since her arrival to the facility. 

 

Ruby slowly sits up, wading through a series of large stuffed kittens that line her bed. She did always love kitties… before getting out of bed, she takes a black and white one from the corner of the pile that appears older than the rest, and gets out of bed, walking around the room. 

 

The first thing she finds is a dresser with a series of red outfits in it, all for different kinds of events Ruby would be expected to go to eventually. A bit past that there is a TV, hung on the wall with Sapphire Inc. Tech sticking off of the side of it. Ruby clicks the power button curiously causing the TV to start up before she scurries back over to her bed to watch it.

 

The channels all were set to different cartoons from the early 2000’s Ruby couldn’t tell why, but she loved each and every one of them. Making the process of waiting for Sapphire to come to see her again, not so bad.

 

One, two, three, almost an entire season’s worth of episodes pass by in the blink of her eyes. Her arms firmly wrapped around her now plush toy Kiki, she pulls it a little tighter as the last episode ends. 

 

There’s a gentle knock on the door to her room, then a small click. Revealing Sapphire standing in the doorway, she’s dressed in just a blue sweater and some yoga pants this time. Now there’s my little Ruby. Sapphy missed you so much, I hope you had a fun day!

 

She walks over and scoops Ruby up into a massive crushing hug. Causing the girl to squeak like an overinflated balloon out of excitement. 

 

“Of course Sapphy! I missed you bunches, but KiKi made waiting not so bad!” Ruby giggles, as she wiggles from side to side in Sapphire’s embrace. Instinctively starting to nuzzle her head up against the woman’s chest.

 

As she does, Sapphire starts to lay her down on the bed. Following close behind and starting to rock her from side to side. Each movement tauntingly slow, as it drags her headspace down once again. Sapphy is going to help you, you’re going to become her perfect Ruby. That means you need to take the medicine that she gives you.

 

Ruby simply nods absentmindedly, hardly able to notice that Sapphire herself hasn’t actually said a word ever since she entered the room. “Yes Sapphy, anything to be good for you.” 

 

She looks up to see Sapphire with a beaming smile, full of abject satisfaction. Reaching down into the nightstand, a small pill planner, alongside a vial and needle are pulled out. Say ahh.

 

Ruby opens her mouth, and two pills are dropped in. She immediately swallows, while Sapphire turns around and starts putting the contents of the vial into the needle. Good girl, now the next part will hurt a little, so you’ll need to stay very still.

 

Ruby feels her body lock up ever so slightly, as if she’s lost her ability to move without any choice otherwise. But unlike before, instead of panicking she melts into it, she watches as her pajama pants are pulled down and Sapphire gently slides a needle into her thigh. 

 

The winces and lets out a little squeak when it slides inside. A cool feeling rushing through her body, causing her teeth to feel hypersensitive for a moment. Only for it to quickly fade, and the needle to slide back out.

Sapphire quickly pulled a bandage out, placing it over the spot and giving it a little kiss. Such a brave girl, you’ve done well. 

 

As the comment runs through her head, Ruby sniffles slightly as a smile slides onto her face. Once her body is finally able to move once again, she tosses herself onto Sapphire’s lap. 

 

All of her thoughts twisting and distorting around the single objective that she’s allowed to focus on. Appeasing Sapphire by being the best, by being loveable, but most important thanks to the visors help be obedient. “Thank you Mommy!”

 

Sapphire giggles, as she shakes her head and starts to gently tuck Ruby in. Moving her like she weighs as little as a kitten. “Alright Mommy is going to get some things for bedtime, then I’ll read you a story.” 

 

Ruby watches as Sapphire pulls back and starts to leave the room once again. Leaving her alone to cuddle into her plush, waiting impatiently for Sapphire’s return.


After a few minutes of waiting Sapphire returns, Ruby swearing that she could almost see red blotches under the visor that’s hiding the major details of Sapphire’s eyes.

 

As Sapphire climbs into bed, Ruby presses herself up against the woman’s side. Taking comfort in the warmth of the larger woman pressed up against her side. 

 

A simplistic bedtime story starts to roll through Ruby’s brain in order to lull her to sleep. As it drags on and on, her head feels ever heavier before finally she drifts away. I won’t let you break again… You’ll be mine, forever…’

1