2.The Honey Pot
64 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jackie’s eyes slowly drag themselves open after a night of surprisingly pleasant dreams. The bed itself feeling like a yawning void, tempting to just drop back down into and get more rest. 

 

Groaning, he forces himself to roll over, pushing his blanket off. No he’s gonna make use of the first day of his life, not just cocoon in this room alone and let it run him by. Especially considering he’d not heard Arti get back last night, so it’s best to check if she’s home or not. 

 

Heading out of the bedroom, Jackie slowly shuffles his way over to the kitchen. Only to see that all of the trash has been cleared away, and is replaced with a few bags filled with groceries. 

 

Looking over at the living room, he notices Arti laying there, still dressed in her full work outfit. Fast asleep with her phone still on in her hand, hovering on the Sapphire Inc application page. She really must have been out late if her phone screen hasn’t automatically turned off, or the phone died outright. 

 

Slowly he walks over and clicks the power button to make sure it doesn’t die in her sleep. Grabbing a blanket that had been shoved off the couch, and into a corner, gently laying it over her to keep her warm. 

 

Alright time to figure out what Arti got and if he can make anything for breakfast out of it. Jackie hums to himself and starts to sort out the supplies, pulling out some pancake mix. Chocolate chips, syrup, and a letter telling him that everything else he’d need to make it is in the fridge.

 

Jackie snickers to himself, figuring that this was half a trick to get him to make her some pancakes. Not that it matters, he’s starving and pancakes actually sound great right about now. 

 

He cracks the container open, grabs the eggs, and milk. Going through the motions of cooking, while he explores the different supplies that the kitchen is stocked with. 

 

It takes about half an hour to put everything together, tossing two stacks of four pancakes onto a plate. Leaving all the chocolate chips for the ones on Arti’s side, before he accidentally drops the pan a little bit too hard into the sink. Making a massive clattering sound. 

 

It takes less than a second for Jackie to hear a thump behind him. Arti springing off of the couch, ripping the coffee table open and grabbing her gun. Before she points it in the direction of the clattering. “Who’s there!?” 

 

Her breathing is ragged, and the gun is trained directly on Jackie’s forehead. “Oh, shit Jackie you startled me.” 

 

Jackie just stands there his eyes bulging out of his head. As his hands shoot up above his head, trying to get his roommate to not shoot him. “I can tell.” He slowly lowers his hands down, and steps to the side to avoid being shot. He talks with a shaky grin as he sits down at the table. “I made us pancakes.”

 

Arti looks down at the gun, and laughs lightly. Pulling it up to show where the clip should be. It’s not even loaded. “Oh that sounds wonderful, also sorry about the panic. Loud noises can set me off, especially when I’ve been sleeping.” She then slides the gun back into the coffee table, standing up and walking over to see the pancakes. 

 

“Yeaaaah, I thought you were gonna sleep longer.” Jackie chuckles and moves the syrup to the other side of the table while Arti sits down. She obviously needs to eat, and he needs to have anything happen that makes him forget that he’d just had a gun pointed to his head.

 

“I assumed you would be hungry whenever you woke up, so I made us both breakfast. Looks like you’ll be eating it a bit sooner than expected.” 

 

Arti chuckles and rolls her eyes. “Yeah I’ve kinda gotta be a light sleeper. I don’t respond to loud noises normally, and being asleep only makes it worse.” She reaches down and picks up a fork. Cutting into her pancakes without missing a beat. “And when you put that blanket over me, it started the process of waking up. Then when the clattering happened I kinda freaked out.”

 

Jackie watches as between each of her words Arti shoves half of a pancake and starts to devour it while she talks. “Well I hope you’ll be able to get back to sleep. I could really tell that you’d only gotten back here, and fell asleep, maybe a few minutes before I woke up.”

 

Arti groans as she swallows down the last of the pancakes. “Trust me I’m gonna sleep, last night was a massive nothing burger. Well aside from a weird anthro girl who I think was stalking me, but that’s not too uncommon.” She waves her fork in a few tiny circles.

 

“She was wearing a visor though… I can’t tell if I just spooked her if it was something more.” She kicks her legs out, and flops backward. “Ugh, this fucking sucks. I think I’m just gonna get a meeting with Sapphire Inc, even if it’s just a rep. Just so see if they have any records that I haven’t seen yet.” 

 

Jackie nods a few times, before pushing his chair back. “Give me a minute, I’m gonna grab my laptop for this.” He turns around and heads back to his bedroom, trying to lose a little bit of the tension that he’d built up throughout the interaction. The sight of the barrel of the gun still at the forefront of his mind. 

 

He takes a minute at the desk, opening up his laptop and pulling up the application section that he’d found on his first trip through the website. If anything is going to get her inside, even under false pretenses it’ll probably be this. 

 

Walking back into the kitchen, he puts the laptop down in front of Arti and taps it a few times. “This would probably be your best bet to get in. Either by asking for an interview, or by just applying for a job and using it to get a foot in the door.” He sighs and sits down across from the detective. 

 

“Yeah I took a peak at that last night… I guess you’re right.” Arti shrugs and looks closer at the application section now that it’s not the middle of the night. “And don’t you have a job or something to get to?”

 

Right, he’d applied at a bar called the Honey Pot before getting into town. Best not to miss the appointment that they gave him, even with how comically low his rent is here. “Oh yeah right, I should get ready for my interview.”

 

After Jackie nods, Arti stretches and lets out a massive yawn. “Good, now I’m gonna go and pass the fuck out. I’ll talk to you tonight Jackie, stay safe.” She then starts to lazily drag herself over to her bedroom, slipping inside of it like silly putty that’s pushed through the cracks. Not leaving even an inch for Jackie to possibly get a glimpse at the interior. 

 

Jackie shakes his head and smiles softly, happy to see the woman go and get some rest. Before he heads into his room and gets into a red button up shirt, and black pants. 

 

                                                                                                                * * *

 

Once Jackie arrives at the bar, the bee theme is nearly blinding in how obvious it is, even on the exterior with the windows having honeycomb patterns. While the interior of the bar on the whole looks like it’s been repurposed from an 80’s retro dinner originally. 

 

The most distinct thing, however, was the numbers of anthros in and around the establishment. Given there’s barely one percent of them in the population across whole across the nation, seeing this many in one place would be enough to draw anyone's eye.

 

It takes a few loops around the area to find the employee parking area, where he parks his car for the time being. Before heading around and into the bar. 

 

As he steps inside the bar is already packed even during breakfast. With four anthros dashing around the front room in honeycomb patterned uniforms, nearest to him is a golden furred dog boy. Who seems to be from the original group given his more prominent animalistic features.

“Hello!” Jackie glances down at the boys nametag, getting the name ‘Wally Nae’ for his efforts. While his tail flicks from side to side in anticipation, already overjoyed to just be near so many people similar to himself. “I’m here for an interview with Miss Arachne.” 

 

Wally’s ears both perk up as Jackie starts talking to him. His ocean blue eyes wide and excited to hear the news. “Oh that’s great, Arachne is over by the bar in the back. I hope you end up getting the job, we could definitely use the extra hands!” His massive fluffy tail wags, as he points back toward an orange and yellow bar. With hexagonal stools pushed up under it. 

 

Looking over Jackie is met with the sight of a gaunt woman with skin as pale as a ghosts. With arms that are covered in layers of thick black chitten, and thin white strands of hair that flow down her back. 

 

“Thanks for the well wishes.” Jackie gives Wally a little wave as he walks up next to Arachne. Pulling out the chair next to her, and sitting down on it. “Hello, Miss Arachne? I’m Jackie, I’m here for the interview.”

Once he sits down and starts talking, the woman who’d only moments earlier looked like she was a painting frozen in time. Surges to life, her shoulders going from slumped to lively. All eight of her eyes twisting up into a smile, each a pool of black with no definable details further than that. “Ah yes Jackie, I’ve been looking forward to your interview ever since I got your message a week ago.” 

 

“I’m just happy that you were looking for workers when I was moving.” Jackie nods, and smiles softly at the woman. Slightly curious about the fact that Arachne is actually a spider hybrid, as he wracks his brain about where he’d heard about one in the past. Eventually giving up, and simply electing to enjoy the pleasant conversation.

 

“Of course, we’ve been growing more every month, and to make sure our employees don’t get overly stressed we need a lot of people to keep up with the demand.” Arachne slowly stands up, and presses the stool back into place under the bar. “So how about we head into the back, and handle the interview?”

 

“Sure, and that’s good to know.” Jackie nods, mimicking the motions of Arachne, before he follows her around the bar and into the backrooms. As they walk he sees two separate walk-in freezers, one that’s in the center of the kitchen, and another that is pressed up against the back left corner. 

 

After a little more walking they make it back to a small office, with only a small desk, and a shelf filled with visors. Several screens hang up on the wall, and two seats on each side of the table. Only three are on, as they display the entire bar. 

 

Jackie takes a seat opposite from Arachne, putting his hands in his lap. While his tail curls up against his back. “I just want to thank you again for this opportunity, I’ve been excited to learn more about anthro culture, and expand my skill set.” 

 

Arachne nods, and pulls the laptop plugged into the screens over in front of her. “Of course, from the calls I’ve made you’ve got a pristine work history. As well as you being an anthro helps, we had a rather nasty incident when we first opened with a human who attacked one of our staff in the back after getting hired.” She shakes her head and gestures over the monitors.

“But ever since then, I’ve installed extra security and started to hire people to act as dedicated security.” 

 

Jackie nods and glances over the screens, watching the employees rushing from one table to another. “Well I’m happy to hear that everything seems to be in a stable position at this point.” 

 

“Absolutely, my partners Wally and Kat have been instrumental in getting everything off the ground.” Arachne chuckles and pulls out a few sheets of paperwork. “But luckily I already have looked over your food handlers, and bartenders licenses. I just wanted to use this as a chance to get a feel for your personality, and I believe you’ll work wonderfully here.” 

 

She pushes the paperwork across the table to Jackie. “If you want the job it’s yours. If you’d like, we can even do a bit of your training today, to help you get in on next week's shift list. Payed of course.”

 

Jackie’s ears perk up when he’s told he’s passed and gotten hired simply by showing up. His shoulders are tense as a million tiny expectations start to build up in his head. “Oh wow, alright that sounds wonderful thank you.” He reaches out and starts to fill out the onboarding paperwork.

 

“Of course, Wally and Kat will be in charge of you for the time being. Wally runs servers in the front, while Kat leads the bar and entertainment herself. Now we offer the use of visors to quicken employee training, but it’s entirely optional.” Arachne gestures behind herself at the several visors that are on charging racks. 

 

Jackie’s eyes jump over to the technological elephant in the room, starting to wonder if Arti’s paranoia the previous night had actually gotten to him this badly. Visors always seemed cool before, but after one night with the detective he couldn’t help but feel unsettled in their presence. “Alright, I’ll maybe try that later, I think right now I want to get a bit more of a feel for working around here.” 

 

He rushes his way through the onboarding paperwork, before standing up. “If it’s ok with you, I’ll start with food, and work my way forward through the shift.”

 

“Absolutely, go report to Wally first. He’ll guide you from there.” Arachne smiles and leans back in her seat, as she scoops up the paperwork. “It’s a pleasure to have you here Jackie, we’ve been too busy recently.” 

 

Jackie nods and scampers back out into the kitchen. Swooping past the other employees, in order to search for Wally. As his posture gradually shifted to be more timid by each second. 

 

After a bit of searching Jackie ends up back at the bar. While Wally is sitting there, speaking with a black and white cat anthro. “Hey there Wally, so I got the job… Arachne said I’m good to work with you for the day.”

 

“Oh, that’s great! By the way, this is my partner Kat. If you ever can’t find me, just run on over here and I promise she’ll be able to point you in the right direction.” Wally’s tail wags rapidly as he’s talking to Jackie. His excitement for the new anthro’s employment painted across his entire body. 

 

Kat chuckles weakly, leaning up on the bar as Wally talks. “Yeah, you can always come to us if you need anything.” She glances over at a few of the more rowdy groups that have already made their way inside. “And that includes customers treating you poorly, we don’t tolerate that here.”

 

“Oh- well I’ll keep that in mind.” Jackie slumps his shoulders slightly at the news. While the more casual energy that Kat brings to the pair helps him relax into the conversation. 

 

“So what do you say, I take this menu, and start to show you how we prep, Jackie?” Wally picks up the Honey Pot’s full menu off of the bar. Wiggling it in front of the cat boy, while he tilts his head toward the back room. 

 

“Please.” Jackie flashes a smile, and starts to follow behind Wally. The golden retriever starting to ramble on about how they’re speciality is honey infusions on their product. Up to and including mead. 

 

                                                                                                                    * * *

 

“Alright, so you’ll be bussing until your training is done, but I hope you’ve had a good day Jackie.” Wally smiles, and leans up at the now closing down bar. While Kat continues to quietly work and listen to the pair talk. “We close at 11 on weekdays, but for the weekends we are open until 1am because of the prime hours. Do you have any requests as far as your schedule goes?”

Jackie shakes his head, leaning on the opposite side of the bar, to take a breath now that his first day is over. “I think I understand things for the most part, and today has been really fun. Back where I was… nobody really trusted me, especially after I got the change… as far as I could afford at the time. Schedule wise, I’ll take whatever you can give me, I’d like to build my savings back up as much as possible.”

 

“Well then we’ll schedule a fair forty hours, but no more than that. The last thing you need is to burn yourself out when you’re moving to a new town, trust us.” Kat hums to herself as she cleans off a few mugs, flashing Jackie a small smile. 

 

“Alright, but uh… do you know any safe grocery stores I could hit up on my way home? My roommate is worried about me being out alone so late, but I promised to grab something for cooking at home.” Jackie chuckles and crosses his arms, leaning up against the bar. Content joy slipping into his tone as he talks to his new coworkers. 

 

“Why don’t you take a few things from the kitchen? I’ll just take whatever you take out of your first paycheck, if your new roommate is really that worried. I wouldn’t want to worry them more. Especially because the shops that I would say are entirely welcoming to anthros, are closed at this time of night.” Jackie looks over at who just spoke to see Arachne standing at the end of the bar with a soft smile. 

 

“We can’t give too much with how busy we are, but it should give you a day or two of meals.” She waves him back over to the back, while a few of the prep cooks finish cleaning everything up for the evening. 

 

“You really don’t have to, Ma’am.” Jackie pops up off of the stool, alongside Wally who follows close behind the pair to help mark down everything that they’re giving to Jackie. To make sure they don’t mistake their capacity tomorrow and fail to make an order. 

 

“Oh no you don’t, we’re all a community here, and I intend to take care of our own no matter what.” Arachne starts to bag up everything, making sure to go with things that are either fish or do not include meat. Given Jackie had listed the fact he’s a pescatarian on his application. 

 

Once the bag is filled, Wally nods to himself. Putting his phone away. “She’s right, we’ll make it to the next delivery without too much issue. On the other hand, you need to eat, so don’t worry about it.” 

 

Jackie blushes and nods ever so slightly, forcing himself to just accept the kindness. “Well this means a lot, thank you both.”

 

“It’s absolutely no problem, but just stay safe okay? I wouldn’t want my newest employee getting hurt.” Arachne follows Jackie back out to his car, carrying a few of the bags that they’d not handed off to him yet. 

 

“So back there, you mentioned only affording partial anthroization.” She leans up on the side of Jackie’s car, while he opens the back seat and starts loading the bags in. “Is the full thing something you wanted?”

 

Jackie’s shoulders and expression drops off a cliff with the mention of his only partial transition. A deep itching on this inside of his chest that he forces himself to ignore breaking out. “I would like it someday, and honestly I would have gone with something other than cat… but between it and dog. I just felt it was more right out of the two options that I could afford.”

 

As he fully slumps down, putting bags into the back seat. Arachne’s hand lands on his shoulder. “Well then I’m glad I caught it, we offer to fund any employees transitions personally. So stick with us for a few months, maybe less if I can force it, and I promise you’ll be anything you want.”

 

Jackie sniffles slightly, as a wave of anxiety and relief crash up against one another. One half worried he might not make it that long with everything going on, and the other overjoyed to hear the words he’d been waiting for ever since anthroization went public. 

 

“You have a nice night Jackie, we’ll see you tomorrow.” Arachne helps guide him over to the driver's seat before stepping away and starting to walk back inside. 

As Arachne turns and starts to walk away, Jackie waves and shouts out. Pushing past his anxiety. “Thank you so much!” He squeaks as he pulls himself back inside of his car, and buckles up. 

 

Alright now he just needs to get home, and that’s one full day in his new life without anything going wrong. He connects his phone to the bluetooth, and starts to pull out of the parking lot while he calls Arti. “Hey, I’m driving home now. Work let me take a few things for meals, so I can put off a store run. Would you like me to make anything?”

 

“I would take a burger, or something, I don’t really need a meal I’ve already gone out to eat, and you are getting home around the time I’m gonna head out. Just gonna touch base, before I leave for the night.” Jackie could hear the tv playing some anime loudly in the background, as Arti munches on some form of snack. “Thanks for the offer, and thank you for calling me on your way home. I’m glad you found a good place to work.”

 

Jackie nods a little, as his drive goes smoothly. “Yeah, it is a bar-restaurant combo called ‘The Honey Pot’, big Anthro hang out, and if I stick with them, I can get insurance through work that will help me make a full transition.” He excitedly rambles about his day, while stopping at a red light. While his tail wiggled from side to side all the while. “How has your day been?”

 

“I’ve been asleep until like three hours ago, and I filled out an application for an interview with a Sapphire Inc. Rep I’m not sure how soon I’ll get approved, so I’m gonna just stick to my normal patrol route, until I get a date.” Jackie can hear Arti start to move around the apartment. “I’m gonna get dressed before you are here, but I’m glad that you are gonna be able to finish your transition. I get how important that can be.”

 

Jackie nods, and after another few minutes of driving parks outside. “Well, I’m right outside, I’m gonna hang up and come in.” He gets a backup bag of tortilla chips that he hadn’t brought in yet from his road trip, tosses it in with the rest. As he starts walking to the second floor. 

 

Putting things away as he could hear Arti getting dressed in the background. “Tomorrow I’ll make a big pot of sauce, so that we can fix up some pasta however we want for a while.”

 

Arti after two minutes pops out of her bedroom, dressed in the same full outfit as yesterday. Which given how worn down it appears, may be the only one she owns. “Alright, that sounds good to me.” She walks past Jackie, going over to the fridge, and grabbing an energy drink, starting to sip it before leaning on the front door. 

 

“Just stay here, stay safe, and I’ll be back in the morning.” She pulls out her phone looking at her email, and checking for a response to her interview request.

 

“I’ll be watching some anime for a while, so call if you need anything.” Jackie gives her a thumbs up, before shrugging off his jacket. Dumping it on the side of the couch, while walking towards his room, a little sway to his hips. While excitement after having such a nice day leaked into his body language.

“Wait!” Arti grins and hops over in one swift movement, putting a finger on his shoulder. Pulling back, and spinning him in a circle with the ease one would move a grain of sand. “Change of plan, I just got my response and they said yes! So no need for me to go out until then, after all if I’m wrong about this I’ll have to start over anyway.”

 

Jackie’s head spins slightly as he’s thrown around by the larger woman. Struggling to keep up with her after that burst of energy. “Okaaaay?” He grabs his head, and forces it to stop spinning, as he looks up at her. 

 

“So… why don’t we watch anime together again.” Arti presses her lips together and looks away from Jackie. While the boy swears that he can almost see a flush on her cheeks. “It was fun the first time, and we both have something to celebrate today…”

 

“Oh, yeah sure that sounds great. I’m just gonna change into something comfortable first, but I’m game.” Leaning in Jackie gives Arti a quick hug, before scurrying away and into his room. Tail very literally between his legs. “Grab one of my dvd’s from the living room!”

 

Jackie after a few minutes skips out of his room, in a cute pair of purple sleep shorts, which are a bit short and tight for his frame. As well as a soft pink crop top that shows off his belly and arms. 

 

Once he gets back outside Jackie sees one of his old magical girl anime in Arti’s hand. As she fumbles with getting it inside the Gembox, while only using the very tips of her fingers to balance the disk. As if it’d shatter from her touching any more of the item.

 

Flopping on the couch next to Arti, and flashing the most confident grin he can manage. “good choice.” He relaxes, spreading out on the couch, and playfully motioning for her to sit closer to him.

 

Arti just slides slightly, sitting awkwardly next to Jackie. With her hands in her lap. “Thanks it just looked interesting, and I’ve always been into magical girls stuff. It’s all I had access to growing up, so it’s really made an impact on my life.” She smiles slightly starting up the show, still maintaining a bit of distance.

 

Jackie, as the first episode’s intro starts up, slinks away to the kitchen. Much to his relief he’s able to find popcorn in the back of the cupboard, something easy enough to make that even Arti keeps around. Coming back with a bowl full right as the episode proper starts. “Hey, I get that, our entertainment shapes who we are and want to be. I’ll be honest, hearing a little about real magic existing makes me want to try it out someday, if I can get someone to teach me.”

 

“Pfff, yeah I’ve always been told I should never touch that stuff. At least that’s what my adoptive Mom always told me.” Arti waves her hands in small circles. Looking away from both Jackie and the screen as she does. “It’s just not a community to get mixed up in, especially if you want a long or peaceful life.” 

 

She goes quiet for a moment, before reaching into the bowl and grabbing a handful of the popcorn. Starting to devour it as quickly as she can manage, barely giving Jackie a chance to get more than a few handfuls before it’s entirely gone alongside the runtime of the first episode.  

 

As the episode's ending song comes on, Jackie curls up in his corner of the couch. His tail subconsciously pressing up against Arti’s side. “So if you don’t mind the curiosity, what got you into being a detective? If it’s too personal you don’t need to say anything, I’ve just been wondering what has motivated you all day.”

 

Arti looks over at him for barely a second, her expression shifting from relaxed, to a firm frown. “My adoptive mom was a detective. That’s all I have to say on the matter.” At that point she simply leans back, and starts quietly watching the show.

 

Jackie elects to just drop the topic, and give up on asking any more questions for the rest of the night. Two swings and misses in a row shattering his confidence about trying to continue conversation. 

 

Episodes start to blur in front of him over the next several hours. His eyes grow heavy, as he lets himself just fall asleep on the couch. 

 

                                                                                                                  * * *

 

The next several days become a pleasant cycle, Jackie waking up. Going to work at the Honey Pot, before coming home to hang out with Arti. The detective being found each morning in increasingly bewildering positions in the living room, whether it be leaning up against one of the windows as if she’d fallen asleep staring out of it. Or having her be on the kitchen floor with several shattered plates laying on either side of her. 

 

Each with an increasingly concerning explanation that Jackie wasn’t sure if he actually believed in the slightest. But it was best to let the girl have her secrets, even if they’re down a few dishes. 

 

On Saturday morning, Jackie lets out a little yawn as his alarm goes off. Set for four AM at Arti’s request to help her with the interview this morning.

It takes every inch of his energy to start dragging himself out of the bed. His tail still half asleep and limp as he rolls fully out from under the covers, wondering if Arti won’t mind giving him a sip of one of her horrid energy drinks just to wake up. 

 

Looking over himself, he shrugs and decides he’s just going to go out shopping in his pajamas. No reason to get dressed on a day that he doesn’t have work, especially not this early in the morning.

 

Stumbling out of his bedroom Jackie looks over at the living room. Seeing Arti already dressed, but instead of wearing her duster she’s outfitted in a dark red button up shirt. As well as a pair of black slacks. “Good-” He yawns and shakes his head. “Morning Arti.”

 

Walking over to the kitchen, he pours himself a cup of water. Immediately downing it, before he turns back to talk to the detective. “So I’ll drop you off, then run to the store and start shopping. If you need anything I’ll have my phone the whole time.”

 

Arti turns away from the JJ news cast, which is talking about new announced releases from Sapphire Inc in regards to their next wave of visor tech. “Alright, that sounds like a plan. Also use that place your boss recommended, The Blue Fire Bakery. They used to be a donut place I went to, it’s only a few blocks from the bar.” 

 

She slowly stands up and walks over to the table. Keeping a more refined posture than Jackie has ever seen from her, she really must be taking this appointment seriously. 

 

Jackie nods, and looks around the kitchen. Noticing a few supplies to make coffee, as well as checking to make sure they have enough eggs for breakfast. “Do you want anything before we go? I think I need some coffee if I’m being honest.” 

 

“I’ll take some black coffee, and whatever you’re having for breakfast.” Arti yawns and scratches her cheek, while she watches Jackie start cooking. “I’m honestly happy that you’re out here now. If I had to hear another word about how wonderful visors are I think I’d die.

Jackie nods, and gets to brewing the coffee, just something simple for now due to Arti’s request, despite the expensive and extensive nature of the coffee maker. He cooked some eggs while the coffee machine ran. 

 

After a few minutes, he comes over with two plates with toast and eggs, as well as a mug of coffee for Arti.

 

Arti immediately scoops the mug up, taking a sip of the drink. “Bleh, I never got how Logan liked this shit.” She shudders, and sticks her tongue out before continuing to drink. 

 

Jackie raises his eyebrow but doesn’t open his mouth, electing to just eat his breakfast rather than failing yet again to learn anything more about the woman’s past. 

 

Once the pair are done with their breakfast, Arti pushes herself to stand up. “Thanks for the meal Jackie.” She stretches and scoops up the dishes, starting to very carefully put them away. “And don’t worry about me, I’ve made precautions in case things go poorly at the interview.”

 

Jackie nods and helps with getting everything cleaned off. Still slightly concerned about the risk of Arti running more dishware on accident. “All the same, just… text me at least when you finish up? It would make me feel more comfortable after everything you’ve talked about.”

 

“Sure, I’ll always keep you updated on what’s up with the case.” Arti grins as they walk downstairs, kicking her legs with each step. 

 

Jackie leads her all the way over to his car. Looking between the massive woman, and the amount of space provided. “Are you gonna be able to fit? I’ll admit I didn’t think this far ahead.”

 

Arti waves her hand and shakes her head, as she pulls the passenger side door open. Collapsing her body in on itself in order to fold up into the seat, her knees almost half way up her chest. “See I can fit perfectly fine, I’m surprisingly used to this sensation. It’s the whole reason I never learned how to drive.” 

 

“Yeah I can’t really blame you there, I don’t think this is the safest for you if I crashed.” Jackie chuckles as he watches the process, before starting the car up and pulling out of the parking lot. Letting Arti pull up the map and guide him out of the city limits, towards the central Sapphire Inc facility.

It takes almost an hour to get to the factory. As they head outside of town, and through the woods to reach the lone factory. Towering in its clearing, with a swath of cars filling the parking lot. 

 

“Well… I guess this is where I will bid you, adieu.” Arti gives a little bow as they pull up right next to the doors inside. Before turning and having to awkwardly squirm her way out of the vehicle, nearly falling on her face in the process. 

 

“Good luck Arti, and hey… let’s just hope the worst you find in there is nothing.” Jackie flashes Arti a smile, a little bit of concern burrowing itself into his chest. Especially considering the fact that if there’s an emergency here, it’d take at least an hour for him to get back.  “I’ll be getting things to make a big couple plates of nachos tonight, then we can binge-watch stuff over the weekend if that sounds good to you.”

 

Arti does a few stretches as she stands up fully. “Absolutely, that sounds like a great way to wind down after today.” She then turns on a dime, disappearing inside of the facility without a moment of hesitation. 

 

                                                                                                                         * * *

 

Pearl blinks a few times as she watches the detective walk inside of the waiting area. Her posture remains relaxed, as she simply waits for the woman to finish exploring the lobby and speak with her. It took you long enough.

 

The detective keeps wandering around for several minutes. Obviously she’s overwhelmed by the majesty. Before walking up to Pearl. 

 

“Uh… hi, I’ve made an appointment to meet with a Sapphire Inc rep. My name is Artifal Carter.” Arti scratches her arm, her eyes glancing over Pearl’s blindingly white suit. As well as the rest of the desk. Paranoid, as expected.

 

“Oh yes, you’ve been waiting for you! My name is Pearl Gemstone, and I’ll be the one leading you around.” Pearl stands up from behind her desk, as the steel door next to her set up slides open. A random drone will replace you for now.

She nods to herself and leaves the desk unattended for the time being. “So Miss Carter, what brings you here today? Is it employment?” She leads the way back into the factory. Making sure to stand directly next to Artifal to prevent her from wandering too far. 

 

Arti’s head is constantly on a swivel while they walk the halls. Obviously trying to catch something important with minimal exposure. “Well, I’m a detective. I’m currently working a case in regards to a disappearance in the area, it was a student from the college that Sapphire Gemstone runs. So I was hoping that you would be willing to hand over any information that you may have, that would assist me in this process.”

 

Don’t speak, let her give away her hand. “Speaking to the school they claimed that she’s an early graduate, but wouldn’t provide any records in regards to said graduation. I came here today, because this was the most likely location aside from the college for her to disappear from. Given she’d been implying on her social media that she’d been planning a trip here the day before her reported disappearance.”

She’s trying to look in the doors, isolate her. Pearl nods along with Arti’s words, before turning and opening a dark oak door. “Here we are, this should be a good spot for us to speak.” She walks over behind the normal interview desk. Keeping her posture firm, despite the subtle accusations the detective is slipping in. 

 

“We have accepted several early graduates, some who’ve rushed through their classes impressively quickly. Do you have a name? If so, I can look up information on anyone from the college, who’s one of our employees.”

 

Arti leans back in her seat, frowning as she starts to fiddle with her fingers. “Well, they were a budding trans girl. The issue is the family didn’t give me any details on a chosen name. Which has made searching for any friends, or acquaintances nearly impossible.” She thumps her feet on the ground. “But her dead name was Grant Demikal.” The words come out like they are poison on her lips. 

 

Pearl simply starts tapping on the desk out of habit, as all of the files they have on who Ruby once was pass through her mind. Read off the script, believe it’s true. “Well, Miss Grant was offered a job with us. Due to exemplary academic showings, and positive student teacher relationship. Miss Gemstone even personally attended her interview, but when it came time for her first day, she never arrived.” 

Arti clenches her fist, slipping her phone back into her pocket, barely able to contain her now bubbling rage. “Then why did you never report this to the police… this girl is gone, and I’m seemingly the ONLY person who knows!” She growls a bit, before taking a deep breath.

 

She’s vulnerable, pick at it. “Miss Carter please calm down, I’m doing my best to give you my understanding. I don’t have all the answers.”

Arti’s fist comes down on the desk like a sledgehammer. The oak shattering on impact with the woman’s fist, as the ground of the room shakes under the force. 

 

There it is, let her calm down and fall into our hands. Pearl pulls back, as her posture becomes shaky and timid, a rush of terror suddenly flowing through her body against her will. 

 

“Oh- oh my gods, I’m so sorry.”  Arti reaches out, with an open hand. Her body language shifted from something that would remind Pearl of Sapphire on a bad day. To a scared little kid who just realized they accidentally killed their pet fish. 

 

Pearl’s body immediately has the anxiety flush out of her. Taking a small breath to make it seem like a concerted effort, rather than a switch being flipped back off. “It’s alright Miss Carter… I understand why this would upset you. Though I do appreciate the apology.” 

 

Arti stands there, staring at the splinters in the desk. As she wrings her hands, and does her best to brush the few splinters out of her hands. “Of course… if you have anything for me to know before I leave. I’d appreciate it, I imagine you don’t want to have me sticking around too long after what I’ve done.”

 

“No please, you seem to be the only person in this city who cares that the girl disappeared. Let me pull up everything that we got during her application process.” Pearl raises her hands slowly, as her visor quickly snaps between pages. Information being uploaded directly into her brain. 

 

“Now I know you were hired by her parents, but I’ll admit it’s very odd. When she came to visit us for the interview, she mentioned that her family was very controlling. Threatening several times to remove her funding to go to college, it was a big reason that she applied to work for us.” 

 

Arti’s expression sours as she hears the explanation. “Then why’d they… never mind.” She shakes her head. Her hands slowly slide up and around one another, folding into a tight hug. “If it is possible I would like to speak with Sapphire herself. I want to get a good idea of Grant’s personality, to see if it can give me any clues on how to find her.”

 

Perfect, send her up to me. Pearl nods to herself and pushes herself up from behind the table. “Well the good news is that Sapphire can see you immediately. She’s between a few meetings, so would you like to go meet her in her office, Miss Carter?” 

 

Arti follows close behind Pearl as they head out of the meeting room. “Yes, I doubt she’ll always have time for something like this.” She takes a few small steps to keep herself close to Pearl while they navigate the halls once again.

 

“That’s very true. Miss Gemstone has her eyes on so many different projects, it’s rare for her to have any free time during work hours.” Pearl confidently leads the way through the sterile hallways, until they reach an elevator. 

 

“I’m just glad you’re seeing me, without treating my presence in of itself as a threat.” Arti leans up against the elevator door. While they wait for it to come down and pick them up. “I’ve been getting a little too used to people implicitly distrusting me.” 

 

“Well we luckily are aware enough of your exploits Miss Carter. So we do not have the concern of you being associated with the government, at least not directly.” Pearl nods as the door opens, and Arti stumbles into the plain white marble elevator. “So allowing you to come and speak with us doesn’t have the risks associated with those in the policing systems.” 

 

Arti fumbles her way over to the wall, while Pearl presses the button for the top level. The elevator begins its accent toward Sapphire’s main office. “Yeah I guess it can’t be too much of a surprise.” She chuckles weakly, and presses her back up against the wall.

 

Worry not Detective, we have no intent of dragging your past back up.” Pearl nods as the door to the elevator opens, revealing a short hallway. With a blue door at the end of the hall. “Miss Gemstone is at the end of the hall, have a nice meeting.” 

 

Arti shudders at the comment, and steps outside of the elevator. “I appreciate that, and thank you for taking the time to guide me here.”

 

Pearl nods as the elevator shuts in front of her. Her body goes limp as soon as Arti is out of eyeshot, allowed to return to its natural state. Like a marionette that’s strings had suddenly been snipped. 

 

                                                                                                                           * * *

Sapphire stands at the edge of her office, staring out past the ivy that half covers the window. Watching the cars bellow, as the door to the office starts to slide open. Three, Two, one

 

“Miss Gemstone? Thank you for seeing me on short notice.” Arti pushes her way inside of the room. Looking around at the hybrid of a living room and an actual office. Immediately noticing that almost everything in the room is an inky black, with blue accents. 

 

Sapphire turns around, a small smile sliding onto her face as her eyes examine the detective. Long red hair, that ratty gray duster, as well as a patch on its right shoulder. This is definitely the same girl from back then. “Of course, it’s a pleasure to speak to anyone who’s searching for Miss Grant.” 

 

“Well I’m hoping to get any information about Grant’s personality. Or any information regarding her disappearance that you haven’t gone to the police with yet.” Arti pulls her phone out, and starts tapping on it. Doing her best to hide the screen from Sapphire. “I want to run everything I’ve managed to gather so far with you. I’m concerned that they have been taken out of jealousy or bigotry from the school, because students have been acting odd around me any time I ask about her.”

 

Sapphire nods and starts to walk away from the window. Going around her desk, to get a better look at Artifal while they speak. “Well, what I can say is that there was… strain among the students. She easily aced every single class, pen and paper tests, projects, visor tests. She handled it all expertly according to our records. Everyone at Change College is skilled in their own right, but I can only assume they grew jealous.”

 

She clicks her heel against the ground while she walks. Tisking slightly as she shakes her head. “She would hide in her dorm between classes as far as the security footage showed.”

 

Arti tenses as Sapphire circles around her, her hands gripping the phone the tiniest bit tighter. While she takes a step to the side, toward the couch and living area on the far end of the office. 

 

“Due to a recommendation from her teacher, I called her in for an interview. I didn’t want a mind that was so gifted to simply fade away due to the hatred of others.” Sapphire follows behind the detective, and takes a seat down on the couch. Patting her hand down next to her a few times. Inviting Artifal to sit down with her. “Sadly, after the first interview, she never came back.” 

 

Arti sits down next to Sapphire, but obviously is keeping as much distance between them on the couch as possible. While her posture is as tense as a rubberband about to snap. “It’s likely that she was taken directly during or after her interview… Do you happen to have any security footage I can see? Seeing what her car looked like, or seeing where she headed to after leaving, would be a massive help to finding her.”

 

“Absolutely, I’m more than happy to give you anything that you request to assist you in this project. After all, all of us here at Sapphire Industries owe you Miss Carter.” Sapphire nods to herself and gestures her hand around the room. “I’ll use my power to give you any information we have, so do you have any particular questions right now?”

“I’m confused on why her family wanted me to find her… from what you’ve told me they had no respect for her autonomy let alone gender, so having them use she/her pronouns is… odd.” Arti scratches her nose and sniffs a few times. Her eyes locked on the flatscreen TV that is hanging across from them, silently playing the news. 

 

“Now that’s something I can assist you with.” Sapphire’s visor lights up, and the TV across from the pair starts to play a recording of the day she’d lured Ruby’s parents to the factory. Sapphire is standing in her office, and across from her are both of Grant’s parents.

 

“Grant’s parents came to me after hearing the job offer, and her disappearance. They are high ranking government workers, and have been trying to use the disappearance to find excuses to investigate me.” 

 

Sapphire lets the video play at full volume in front of Artifal. The cavalcade of different derogatory terms that the parents used against Ruby flowing in one ear and out the other. While she watches as Artifal becomes more and more visibly enraged by the display Sapphire had curated just for her. 

 

“Basically, they determined that Grant had enough fun, and it’s time for her to ‘come home’. They’ve arranged a marriage for her, using their positions.” Sapphire speaks in a low growl, a small amount of genuine anger finding its way into her tone and posture. “I am very worried about Grant, especially considering her family’s desires for her.”

 

Artifal at this point has leaned forward, and buried her face in her hands. Taking slow deep breaths, as her shoulders are held tense all the while. 

 

Sapphire then flicks over to video from the interview with Ruby. Showing off how anxious she was, and how any movement would cause her to wince in fear. “Please Miss Carter. Find Grant, if you can bring her here before to her parents. I’ll personally match whatever they’re paying you.”

 

Arti presses herself up against the couch, forcing herself to look directly at Sapphire. “Of course, I don’t take jobs for the money unless I really need it anyway. And all I was hired to do was find her, not return her to anyone. I just need to be sure that she’s safe, and I’ll have done my job.”

 

“I definitely… understand that experience perfectly, a huge reason I accepted this job in the first place is because of… similarities there.” She sighs, taking a few last notes of everything she was told. “Thank you for being such a good sport about this, Sapphire. I’ll be stopping by the abandoned car to see if I can find anything there on my way out.”

 

"I can get more information, if you can think of anything to ask me.” Sapphire writes down a small note, and slides it into Artifal’s hands. “This is my personal number, I trust you to not use it recklessly.” She flashes a small gentle smile. 

 

“While I don’t have everything, I do have access to security footage from businesses that are owned by Sapphire Inc. So I do have a pretty comprehensive record of the city. There are of course blind spots, but general security footage is better than nothing.”

 

“Oh yeah, I could really use any help I could get.” Arti slides the note into her pocket. Her eyes wincing slightly as Sapphire mentions the number of cameras she has in the city. 

“I just really hope she hasn’t been taken out of town… do you think it’s possible that her parents could have been the people who took her, and sent me away to where she was last? To throw me off their trail given the powerful nature of their carriers, and the fact they are your enemy so likely trying to throw me at you to dig up dirt for them.”

 

Sapphire nods slightly, as she leans back and wraps her arm around the couch. Doing everything in her power to keep her satisfaction with the situation from bubbling to the surface. “They very well could have, but my ears around them haven’t heard even a peep about getting Grant back. So either they’re hiding it incredibly well, or they’re uninvolved.” 

 

She lets out a sigh, her expression shifting to one of abject exhaustion. As she presses her hair back behind her vizor, intentionally showing off the points of her ears behind the visor. “While nothing has stood out in our footage, from the city at the time of Grant’s disappearance, it could very well be a case of my security team just not having the eyes for such details. This city is a massive and constantly growing place, so choosing what to look for in every camera is… exhausting.”

 

“Understandably, even my attempts haven’t been able to peel out any concrete leads either. Even going inside of her old place of residence, everything that should be in there is gone… but the room hasn’t been given to another student.” Arti tisks, and pushes herself to stand up. 

 

“Everything about this is more suspect than a simple disappearance let alone kidnapping. After all, even students that hated her would act like they remembered the disappearance under normal circumstances… Even if it’s just saying they’re glad she’s gone.” She shakes her head, and starts to pace around the room. “It’s like she’s being erased completely…”

 

Sapphire grins at that comment, and leans back. Looks like she is as clever as her track record would dictate. “An astute observation Miss Carter. You’d have to be quite confident to kidnap someone who’d just publicly begun a working relationship with my company.” By the time that Artifal turns back around, her lips are schooled back into a contemplative frown. As if the moment of satisfaction itself had never existed. 

 

“Yes, you would… and that’s why I’m particularly concerned about my roommate. From what I’ve organized in regards to the profile, if this is someone who’s doing this more than once they’re exactly within the perpetrators range of victims.” Artifal taps her foot, while she narrows her eyes at Sapphire. Freezing in place like the girl had blue screened spontaneously for several moments. 

 

“Oh… you’re an elf too?” Arti raises her eyebrow, and taps the tips of her ears. “I’ve actually never spent time with another one of us, so I guess it’s nice to see I’m not alone around here.” 

 

Sapphire puts a polite smile on her face, and nods. “Indeed, many elves prefer to hide in their estates, I was actually quite lucky to get out of that cycle.” She slowly stands up, and walks over to her desk. Her eyes tracing over a small Emerald and Ruby that she has sitting on a shrine. 

 

“Many are not lucky enough to be put in a position to escape that cycle.” Sapphire’s fingers trace over the emerald, as she takes a deep breath. Trying to push back the feeling of blood on her hands that she gets any time she looks at the shrine for her late wife and child. “I had a friend who I lost that way.” 

 

Artifal follows close behind her, glancing over the display. “Yeah? I actually never really knew my family, got adopted by a detective after a mess with a few magic farmers. So I’ve never really known the most about elves let alone elven culture.” She chuckles and shrugs to herself. 

 

“But I’m sorry that you lost someone because of how things are run.” 

 

Sapphire turns around from the display, her eyes burning ever so slightly. As the glint of the blue in the visor hides her tears from the detective. “Thank you Miss Carter, and as difficult as your life must have been. I’m happy you were able to grow up as a part of society, for as regal as those in the magical community act. They are equally ruthless with stamping any decent person out.” She balls her hands up into fits as she stands there. “Very ruthless indeed.”

 

“Well… as far as I can tell you made it out as a decent person.” Artifal smiles at Sapphire, and puts her hand out for Sapphire. “I promise I’ll find Grant for you, and I’ll bring her here if that’s what she wants.” 

 

Sapphire nods, and takes the detective’s hand. “Thank you Miss Carter, I appreciate you taking time to come and speak with us. I can’t imagine that you were expecting anything good from coming here.” She shakes Arti’s hand, before starting to walk toward the door. 

 

“Now if you don’t mind, I need some time to myself.”

                              * * *

 

Pearl stands perfectly still in place while she waits for Sapphire and Artifal to finish their conversation. All of the details from the conversation immediately being downloaded into her brain. Escort her home.

 

The door in front of Pearl slides open, Artifal smiling softly when she sees the receptionist. “So Miss Carter, were you able to find anything out?” She tilts her head to the side slightly. 

 

Arti nods and starts to walk next to Pearl, as they head back over to the elevator down. “Yes, Sapphire was very helpful and gave me as much information as I could have hoped for in the situation.” 

 

Once the elevator slides open, Pearl slides inside and presses the button for the first floor. A placid smile sliding onto her face. “Well then, are you waiting for a ride? I’m going to be off soon, if you’d like a lift home. Otherwise, I can arrange some space in the break room for you while you wait.”

 

“Yeah, I’d take the ride if you’re offering. My friend is out shopping, and almost every car in existence is way too small to fit me anyway.” Artifal laughs lightly as they slide down to the first floor, typing more notes into her phone while they speak. “And because of that I never learned to drive.” 

 

Pearl giggles at the comment and shakes her head. “Miss Gemstone also doesn’t drive for that same reason.” She leads the way out of the back areas of the factory, before sitting down at her desk. “Just give me a few minutes to wrap up my work, and maybe text that friend of yours so they don’t worry.”

 

“Oh right, thanks for the reminder.” Arti flops down on the seat next to where Pearl is working. Her legs kicking out and sliding under the chairs opposite her from how long they are.

 

Pearl nods a few times, and rushes through finishing up the rest of her work for the day. Only taking one full minute of fully dissociating into the visor’s sway, before it’s done and she’s given permission to get up and go bring Artifal home. “Alright I’m ready to go when you are.”

 

Artifal looks over and raises her eyebrow, an expression of sheer bewilderment on her face. “Wow, that’s fast, even for my standards.” She shrugs and turns, starting to walk out of the factory. 

 

“One of the many perks of using visors for work.” Pearl giggles and shakes her head, starting to lead the way over to a black minivan. “My car is just at the end of the lot, I prefer to leave it there. Makes it so much easier to get back out when everyone else is leaving.”

“Oh right! I wouldn’t wanna forget.” Arti turns when they get half way down the parking lot. Stopping at a beaten down rustbucket of a car. “I saw this when I was on my way inside, so I need to check it out for any information.”

 

Let her investigate, there’s nothing of note there. Pearl nods to herself, electing to not question as the detective rips the door off of Ruby’s old car. 

 

“Oops…” Arti holds the broken piece of metal in her hands, and glances back at Pearl. “I guess I’m gonna have to apologize when I find Grant.” She dumps the door on the ground, before starting to crawl around inside of it. 

 

Pearl sighs, and rubs her forehead. “I’ll tell Miss Gemstone about it, and have her send people to fix… this.” 

 

Arti slowly pulls herself back out of the car, then presses the door back into place. Giving it a firm slap, and causing the metal to bend and hold the door in place. Probably breaking it entirely if the small cracks on the bottom of the glass are anything to go by. “Wow, thank you.” She dusts herself off, and starts to walk over to Pearl’s car.

 

“It’s no problem Detective, if anything we owe you. If you solve this case then it will also improve Sapphire Inc’s reputation by extension.” Pearl nods and slides into the front seat. Unlocking the back, and watching as Artifal gets herself seated. “It’s been concerning that someone disappeared like that, in what should have been the core of our security network.” 

 

Arti nods and crosses her arms. “I just can’t believe that you’ve all been quiet about this so long. Especially considering your at least tangential involvement in the case.” 

 

“This may sound bad, but we have been quiet due to how this would look on us, and would likely be used to blast Change City on the whole, given how much Sapphire Inc. has invested in the city infrastructure.” Pearl sighs, and starts up the car. Pulling out of the parking lot, and heading toward the city. 

 

“Especially with how the magical community has been lobbying against Miss Gemstone for her continual vilification of their continual use of Anthros’ as pets.” 


Arti winces at the mention of the anthro situation, rubbing her right shoulder out of habit. “I think it’s brave of all of you to hold that up on a national stage.” She goes quiet and shakes her head. 

 

“It’s a large risk, but Miss Gemstone believes this is what her late wife would have wanted. In fact, many of the people you saw today while walking the halls were disowned elves, or anthros from… back then.” Pearl tightens her grip on the wheel as they come up to a red light while they speak.

 

“Disowned elves were there? Do you mean Miss Gemstone or something else?” Arti raises an eyebrow, while a frown covers her face. Her posture shifted to something almost defensive despite the lack of threat. 

 

“No… you see you and Miss Gemstone are exceptionally tall even for elves. For most of your species, the only notable difference is your ears, and abnormally high magical potential.” Pearl shakes her head and starts to drive as the light turns green once again. 

 

“There are families in the elven community, who view wanting to integrate with non-magical society as weak. They’re like the useless royal family, except worse because no one cares to record what those in the magical community do to one another.” 

 

“I’ve heard a little about them, mostly while I was getting trained on magical law.” Arti clenches her fist as she talks, not looking even remotely in Pearl’s direction. “I got too sick to keep looking at it…”

 

“Then I’ll tell you this much, most elves who’re disowned by their families… if they’re allowed to live. They have their ears clipped, it’s seen as a way of devaluing them as people. Taking away everything that they could have been, and ‘making them human’.” Pearl pulls up to Artifal’s apartment complex, and parks so they can finish the conversation. “Due to this, most elves you’ll meet hide their ears. The way that they’re clipped is horribly painful, and scars improperly… I’ve known coworkers to wear their visors so long I had to pull them off to keep them from getting sick.”

 

She pulls a notepad, and pen out of her glove box. Jotting down her name and phone number on it, before holding it out to Artifal. “Miss… Here is my number. I may not be able to provide as much information as Miss Gemstone, but I go out and about more than her… so if you need an extra pair of eyes… I’d be willing to help.”

 

Artifal grabs the note, and shoves it into her pocket. Her expression is pale, as she very blatantly avoids talking about what Pearl had just told her. “Thank you, I'll definitely keep in touch. Having an actual group to help with an investigation for once will be amazing.” 

 

The moment that the woman hops out of the car, her posture entirely shifts regaining its confidence. After a moment she leans back down to smile at Pearl. As if everything that had been upsetting her entirely disappeared in mere moments “And no need to worry about me losing my ears. I'm stronger than I look.” She gives a wink, before waving and walking away to her apartment.

 

Pearl chuckles to herself, and shakes her head. She’s exactly as strong as she looks, it’s why we have to be careful. As that thought forces its way through her mind, she pulls back out and starts to drive back to the factory. There’s so much to do after all.

 

                              * * *

 

Jackie walks through the front door with his arms full, a pair of growlers, as well as a couple of two liters of soda being cradled as he walks over to the table. Noticing Arti flopped over the couch as he put everything down.  

 

“Got some of the house special right here.” He taps the growlers, and stretches. “I’m gonna freshen up, should only be about 10 minutes, I’m excited to hear what news you have.” he flashes her a grin and heads to his room, grabbing some loungewear before going to take a shower.

 

“Don’t take too long!” Comes from the living room while Jackie grabs some tight shorts and a cute purple skirt, as well as a pink striped top. He then pulls his hair down letting it roll over his shoulders. 

 

Walking back into the living room, he’s met with Arti already having poured herself a drink. As well as turned on the show that they’d been watching during their last hang out night. She has a wide grin on her face, and is humming. “So you definitely had a good day.” He grins back, and hops up onto the couch.

 

“Oh absolutely, they actually let me speak with Sapphire fucking Gemstone!” Arti snickers and takes a sip of her drink. “She’s at the very least acting like she cares as much as I do. Apparently she was expecting them to come back for their first day, but they apparently never did.”

 

“Oh really? Do you actually trust it?” Jackie tilts his head and leans up against his arms on the couch. Smiling up at his roommate, and silently enjoying the more refined look that she’s still wearing today. 

 

“I don’t trust anyone who runs a mega-corporation… buuuut I don’t have many choices otherwise. They did have video of the victims parents that they showed me as well, acting in a way I can only call sickening. I’m worried that if I don’t find a lead soon, it’ll be well and truly too late.” Arti takes a swig of her drink, before glancing over at Jackie’s pose on the couch. A slight pink coming onto her cheeks, as she looks away. “But yeah, Sapphire inc. the newest supporter of my investigation, hopefully it’ll get things rolling.”

 

Jackie gives a little round of applause for Arti. “Well I’m sad things have gotten this far, but I’m happy you’re finally getting the help you need.” He gives her a thumbs up, before reaching over and opening up the nachos that he’d brought home. “I’ve got sour cream, homemade salsa, and homemade guacamole right here, we have a fun night ahead of us!”

 

Arti snickers, taking some chips and starting to enjoy the meal with Jackie. “Yeah it’s been really insane, but hey I do have places to go to investigate. Heck, I could come to your job tomorrow to see if your boss has seen anything regarding the kidnapping.” 

 

She takes out the mixed drink from the tumbler, starting to enjoy herself in earnest. “It’s been a while.”

 

Jackie smiles. “Sure, I bet if she hasn’t seen something, Arachne will at least be able to ask around subtly enough.” His tail sways as he munches down, enjoying their show and snacks. 

 

0