Chapter 44 – The plan.
1k 4 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I sat next to Katarine at the table, with my two brothers, Lily and Nick, facing me side by side. This is the first time in my life that I've had to sit at this table with them for dinner. But instead of happiness, I was filled with disgust.

Obviously, my father expects something in return for his kindness. To him, I'm just a pawn on the chessboard attempting to dethrone the queen. After dinner, all of the employees left, leaving only the five of us in the room.

"Luke, I hear you've been working for the empress. How did that happen?" my father asked.

"After the opening ceremony, she invited me to the palace and offered me a vassal position. I think she saw some potential in me and started to invest."

"So you accepted?"

Time to tell some lies.

"Well... I'm still in doubt, that's why I didn't accept. The empress wants me as a vassal, but for that I must be strong enough. Faced with my doubts and my strength, the empress made me a proposal."

"Which?"

“She was going to ask Elizabeth, her knight, to train me, but in return I would have to become her vassal as an apprentice for a year. At the end of my experience, if I wanted to, I would become an official vassal."

"I see. So you didn't sign any contracts?"

"Yes."

My father's lips curved into a thin smile. After thinking about it for a while after Mary told me about the meeting, I had a rough idea of what his plan would be and how important I was. As a result, I've decided to tell the story in such a way that I can "betray" Margaret without breaking any contracts.

"Luke, come with me for a moment."

My father stood up, and I followed him to the office. When we entered, my father took a bottle of wine and poured it into the glass; he offered it to me, but I declined, and I sat in the chair. He asked me after taking a sip.

"Are you willing to make a sacrifice for this family, Luke?"

"To die?"

"I wouldn't say die, but take the risk with the rest of us."

What I really want is for each of you to fuck off. That's exactly what I meant.

"Everything I've done up to this point has been to be recognized by you, to be accepted by this family, and not to embarrass them as I have in the past. So I'm willing to make a sacrifice for this family."

I just told the biggest lie of my life. Let's see how he reacts now.

"I see. I haven't been very nice to you in the past, have I? But I want you to know that the way I treated you was for your benefit. And look at how well it worked. I can tell by the magical power within you that you've already overcome a lot  his brothers. I'm pleased with myself."

I'm not sure who is lying more: me or him. Is he able to see my second core now that he's mentioned it? I believe so, but logic dictates that I should only have one, and I believe he sees my magical power from the main core.

"What do you mean by sacrifice?"

"Our family is very close to reaching the top and reigning over all."

"Do you want to take the throne?"

"You understand quickly. Yes, and that's why I say sacrifice."

"If you fail it will be considered treason and condemned to death. I understand why the sacrifice."

"I can count on you?"

"Didn't I already tell you? I'm willing to sacrifice myself for this family."

"Very well. I'll tell you the details and your role."

...

I left my father's office, thoughtful, after a lengthy explanation. Aside from Mary's father, his level of power is what I expected. The majority of my father's supporters are radicals who want more power and a government based on his ideas. To gain their support, my father promised to restructure the entire nobility, changing the powers of the families.

After all, my strength is equivalent to the strength of many nobles who would oppose my father assuming the throne. In addition, I have access to the imperial palace, which is the whole point of his plan. It's a good plan, but it's heavily dependent on me. His plan will fail miserably without me.

Lost in thought, I started walking through the halls of the mansion towards my room. I intend to sleep peacefully, so I can rest as much as I can and get back on the road tomorrow. According to my father, he intends to try to steal Margaret's throne on her birthday.

The empress's birthday is four months from now. At that time, the classes at the academy will end and the holidays will begin. During the holidays of the imperial academy, Margaret has a birthday. As it is the empress's birthday, a party will be held, with the presence of all the nobles.

Unfortunately, even if I inform Margaret of my father's plans, she won't be able to help much. It would be irrational for her to accuse the Blady family, one of the empire's most powerful dukes, of attempting to seize the throne. Not only that, but all nobles involved are being accused. We can only prepare ourselves at this point.

Because I will be informed of the details of the plan, I will be able to inform Margaret and devise a strategy to stop my father and his supporters. This, I believe, is the best option. However, there will be repercussions if my dick's plan fails. Both the Blady and the father Mary families will be considered traitors.

There will be an imbalance in the nobility if two ducal houses fall on the same day. After all, they are two powerful houses with vast territories. This problem would be simple to solve if we thought rationally. I take over as head of the Blady family, and Mary takes over as head of her family.

However, I am not interested in playing such a role. A person's face comes to mind as I reach deep into my memory. My uncle is in charge of the family farm in the countryside. He carries the Blady bloodline and can step into my father's shoes. It is sufficient for him to be slightly qualified, and everything will be fine.

I finally get to my room after walking through the house's halls, and when I walk in, I see a beautiful woman with black hair sleeping on the bed. I sat down next to Marceline and wrapped my arms around her, who snuggled into me when she felt my touch. I closed my eyes and fell asleep with Marceline in my arms.

...

We left the Blady mansion before breakfast the next morning. I want to stay as far away from this family as possible. I closed my eyes and began to meditate in the carriage this time, absorbing energy from the air to increase my magical power. In the meantime, Marceline stood guard.

After a long journey, we arrived at the imperial capital. Marceline returned to the mansion I had purchased while I was on my way to the palace, reporting the information to Margaret. As I approached the palace entrance, two guards who were on guard, when they saw me, bowed.

This has become normal over the last few months, after all, I'm a frequent visitor to the palace and I'm always hanging out with Elizabeth. After greeting the guards, I entered the palace and went to Margaret's office. Even though it was almost night, Margaret would be in her office, I'm sure of it.

I opened the door to Margaret's office and found her sitting at her desk, writing on some papers. Obviously, Margaret was aware of my presence. She probably already knew I was in the palace when I entered. Margaret has incredible magical senses and since I didn't hide my magical power, she must have sensed my presence.

"How may I assist you, my dear sir?" Margaret remarked jokingly.

I approached her and leaned in slightly. I had to adjust my height to kiss her lips because she was sitting. I leaned against the table and stood next to Margaret after the kiss.

"I saw my father yesterday, and he told me about his plan."

"And what did you find out?"

"Well... Margaret, he intends to carry out the plan at your birthday party. He described some of the plan's steps to me, and to be honest, the plan had to work. But it won't happen because of me."

"I didn't expect anything less from you. But please explain why."

"It appears that someone leaked information about your illness, and most nobles believe that the disease has weakened the empress. My father knows he lacks the strength to defeat you, but with you weakened, it's a different story."

"It appears they are unaware that I am cured."

"They believe you are still ill. While Thomas fights Elizabeth, my father plans to fight you. Yes, he has the ice mage's support."

"He intends to bring symbols down on the empress and her vassal in order to demonstrate his strength to all nobles."

"Exactly. Obviously, some nobles in the party will rally behind you and try to prevent my father's attack. But what if my father is successful in defeating their leader? They'd lose their will to fight."

"Does he have the support of a large number of nobles?"

"Only the most extreme are allowed. The northern viscount and Thomas are the only real threats."

"How does he intend to combat all the nobles who will oppose him?"

"There is a spell known as [Hydra's cube]. Such magic requires powerful magic stones. But, because my father has a lot of money, he has to get it. But, to get to my point, this magic creates a cube-shaped block that prevents anyone from leaving or entering until the spell is canceled."

"I understand. He intends to keep the Imperial soldiers out."

"Yes. He also plans to use teleportation stones to infiltrate an army inside the palace. He intends to use magic to isolate the palace following the invasion. He will have much more numbers in his favor after the guards inside the palace."

"Only your father would come up with a plan like that."

It's a great plan, but like I said: it won't work. After all, his plan depends on me. I have to place the magic stones to create the cube and I have to place the teleportation stones.

"Don't worry, Margaret. It will be easier than you think."

19