04. Now that the old business is finished, go bring that boy here.
64 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the voice fell, a pressure swapped through the hall, making all three men standing there fall quiet.

Not even that troublemaker, Yin Bolin, dared to lift his eyes off the ground.

Bo Youfei then gathers his courage and walks in, Heng Taio follows shortly after, and Yin Bolin, this idler, also decides to follow.

They stop in front of a throne and then bow deeply, with their hands clasped in front of them.

On the throne sits a young boy who looks about 14-15.  His phoenix eyes blazed with anger as he stared at the white figure in the center. His red hair is carelessly tousled as if he ran his hand through it impatiently and a silver ring can be seen adorning one of his ears. He looks like a rebellious teenager.

It seems almost unbelievable that such an imposing presence is released from such a young rebellious-looking boy, but the three men in front are not surprised at all. They show a very solemn attitude while bowing respectfully, not straightening up until they are told to.

He furrows his brows, carefully inspecting the figure up front, and, after observing him closely, his anger slightly subsides.

Bo Youfei kowtows, and says, "This unworthy subject greets King Yama." There are tears of grievance in his eyes.

Heng Taio also falls to his knees and says: "King Yama, Bo Youfei knows that he has made serious mistakes; however, he turned himself in, and his punishment should reflect his desire to atone."

Yin Bolin felt he should not be the only one standing, so he also fell to his knees. Ah, he came to watch a good show, and now he is kneeling here with these two fools. Sure enough, being around idiots will only drag you down to their level.

 King Yama sighs and says in a very displeased voice. "I have not even made an accusation, and you are already making a scene. If Granny Meng sees you crying, she will really believe I am bullying you." King Yama heard what Granny Meng said to Bo Youfei on the bridge; this is his place, his Underworld, he knows all that is going on, and Granny Meng is also aware.

Why else did she spout all that nonsense? It was because she knew he could hear.

She should respect him and not treat him as an overbearing bully, he is the King.

Of course, he would never say that to her face; that old woman is too scary and thick-faced. She cannot be reasoned with. Her tea is also quite delicious, and he would hate it if some oblivion soup should "accidentally" mix in; as for not drinking her tea, that thought never crossed his mind. He likes her tea, okay?

Then says to Bo Youfei. "You have been a supervisor for the Underworld for thousands of years. Your loyalty is why I am here to listen to what transpired, and were not detained when you stepped foot in the Underworld. I am a fair and impartial King, so go ahead and tell me what happened all these years, I am listening."

"Stand up, all of you just stand up." King Yama orders as he leans forward on his throne.

The three men stood up and Bo Youfei started to recount what happened over 80 years ago.

Bo Youfei was going to collect the soul of an old friend. She was one of the administrators of his region and he had worked with her countless times.

As her life finally reached its end, it was time to escort her soul and send it to reincarnation. Because she cooperated with the Underworld, she would reincarnate into a happy and wealthy girl who never encountered any difficulties; he was truly delighted for her. He always enjoyed their chats whenever they met and considered her a freind.

Bo Youfei went to her house, and as soon as he entered the living room, a force cut off his perception of the Underworld, and his limbs were frozen in place.

He realized something was wrong and tried sending a message, but could not move or contact anyone. In front of him was his old friend, she was dying, but it was not the natural death he was expecting.

As the seal on her forehead was flickering, the body was fastly aging, and her soul was seemingly being absorbed inside the seal.

Each supervisor of the Underworld has administrators helping them in their regions. The administrators are human, and the seal is bestowed to them by the Supervisor with which they contracted. It helps them collect or subdue rogue and malevolent souls. But the seal is just a contract, a way for her to use the Underworld's power and escort souls to reicarnation. It should have no effect on the soul and never harm her.

The lines in the formation of the living room floor started to light up, the living room is glowing softly, and he notices people in dark robes circling the formation as they start chanting.

Even though Youfei does not understand what they are saying, he knows that whatever it is they are doing does not bode well for him.

The old woman in the middle looks at him sadly and whispers an apology; she understands that these people will somehow use her to hurt Bo Youfei and is saddened. She prays that they fail, but her prayers are left unanswered, and her body turns to ashes.

Her soul and the seal merge completely, and a light appears, hovering in place. The light shines brightly and suddenly pulls his staff towards it.

The staff and the light combine, and a hum reverberates through the house. The staff slowly shrinks turning into a small stick, and then Bo Youfei faints.

Bo Youfei told King Yama that after he regained consciousness, he was in the house of the Tao family; since then, he was never able to touch his staff again. There seemed to be a restriction that prevented him from approaching, and he wasn't able to contact the Underworld.

Since then, whoever held the stick could order him to do anything, he was just an observer in a body that would not listen to him.

Listening to the story, King Yama's face gets darker and darker, he finally explodes in anger, and a sudden pressure envelops the hall.

He slams his fist on the throne and says, "How brave of them, they dare to suppress my subjects, they dare to mess with the laws of the Underworld. Do they think this King is some sort of pushover?" and sneers, "The Tao family huh? Well then, since they are so eager, this King here will make sure they are very welcome. Every member of the Tao family will enjoy a tour of each of my 18 hells; they'll be treated as VIPs and given every service we offer."

Leaning back on the throne he continues with an evil smile: "Let's show them this King's hospitality."

The three men are trying their best to resist the pressure, it made it harder for them to breathe, and they almost fall to their knees again.

When King Yama notices that, he reins in his aura and signals Bo Youfei to continue with a wave of his hand.

Bo Youfey then says he spent 80 years in the state of an observer, sending any who stood in the Tao family's way to death, his staff was passed down as the secret Tao family treasure, and no outsider was ever allowed to see it. Ever since then the Tao clan has prospered and gained a powerful reputation.

Then King Yama asks, "How was the restriction broken? It should be an ancient forbidden art that not even I have heard of."

Bo Youfei replies, "It's thanks to young master Tao Fenghua. He took the staff without permission wanting to punish and steal the treasure from a rival. Unfortunately for him, this rival was someone who broke this restriction, took the staff from young master Tao and gave it back to me. I have never met such a soul, I could even touch the boy's body. It was a blessing to meet such an unusual young man, who was not affected by our touch and whose soul I could not command and collect."

 King Yama looks interested and excited. "A soul that the Underworld cannot affect, that is very curious, where is it? Where is the boy?"

"We rushed here to report to King Yama as soon as my restriction was broken, we left the boy behind." Replied Bo Youfei.

As soon as King Yama heard that, he showed an unhappy expression.

Heng Taio quickly added, "But I contracted him with my seal; as soon as Bo Youfei's matter is resolved, I could go and bring him to meet your majesty. Thanks to the boy's physique, the contracting was very simple."

"Then what are you waiting for? Bring him here." Says King Yama eagerly.

"Bo Youfei's matter is not resolved yet; I want to make sure it is finalized so I can transfer his duties back. Then I will go and bring the boy." Replies Heng Taio respectfully.

"Bah, what work? When Youfei here disappeared, who was the one that insisted he could take on the work until Youfei was found? Who said no new supervisor is needed and I should not tax myself over something trivial? Now you use work as an excuse again. Heng Taio, you think I do not see through your intention? What do you take this King as?"

But Heng Taio simply kneeled back down and replied, "I do not dare."

Bo Youfei was shocked as he heard that and also fell to his knees saying. "King Yama I am responsible, please punish me."

Yin Bolin secretly rolls his eyes and thinks, here we go again, as he also kneeled back down with these two fools.

Heh! exclaimed King Yama, then said to Bo Youfei: "Bo Youfei, what happened to you was unfortunate and will be addressed, the guilty party will be dealt with; however, many innocent souls have suffered because of it, and the cause was your staff. You cannot escape punishment. You are fined 10 years of wages and must assist the other 17 supervisors in their work when needed."

He turned to Heng Taio and said, "Now old business is finished; go bring that boy here." Then flicked his sleeves and swept the men out of the hall; the doors slamming in front of them.

Soon after, Heng Taio covered his mouth, trying to suppress his cough, a little bit of blood was trickling from the corner of his mount.

Bo Youfei realized that Henh Taio was hurt because he displeased King Yama, and quickly went to assist him; he really felt unworthy of the other's friendship and vowed to help him in the future.

"You sure have guts, even daring to negotiate with King Yama, Heng Taio, Heng Taio. I really underestimated your stupidity." Yin Bolin says with a sneer.

"Brother Taio, I promise I will get stronger to help you. I promise to be the best brother ever." Bo Youfei says and smiles foolishly at Heng Taio.

"Heh, what good brotherhood. You are even dumber than a rock, with your level of intelligence I can't believe King Yama would assign you as a supervisor." Yin Bolin says to Bo Youfei; then, realizing his words could be taken as him criticizing King Yama, he leaves.

He has no desire to kneel again, and being such a bright bulb in such a dark Underworld makes his teeth itch, he cannot stay next to these two anymore.

"I am fine," Replies Heng Taio; he straightens up and says, "I will go and bring that young man to King Yama; you stay here and try not to make any more trouble."

"Mmm, I will go visit Granny Meng." Replies Bo Youfei, then twisting his sleeve he said in a soft voice. "I'm sorry."

Heng Taio shakes his head helplessly and walks forward, both headed out toward the Bridge of Helplessness.

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7