Chapter 16
1.3k 4 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the light of the morning shone upon the wolves territory, there happened to be a figure who hadn't yet rested. The chieftain knew that the outcome of the situation didn't matter. Whether Redaln won against the monster or not, the tribe will have to go to war. With the status of the wolf tribe, allowing a lion to kill one of his kin and then take his daughter, he as chieftain would be mocked relentlessly by the other tribes, thus lowering the prestige of the wolf tribe even more. Or if the monster won, killing the prince of the lions is tantamount to waging war in itself. The chieftain couldn't help but think that the lion king must've already guessed what would happen and was waiting for a legitimate reason to attack. 

The chieftain could only sigh, knowing that the future of the wolf tribe would be a desolate one. Even if they managed to create a miracle and win against the lions, there were too many other tribes that would take the chance to make sure they never survived. The chieftain felt that he was between a rock and a hard place, and he couldn't even take a breath when he heard the outcome of the situation. 

One of the scouts reported seeing the monster going out to hunt as usual and that was all the chieftain needed to know. Understanding the attitude of the monster, she had managed to kill the lions that invaded the territory. The chieftain was surprised that she seemed to be unscathed. The lions that the prince brought were all among the stronger warriors of their tribe, yet the monster could still walk away easily. 

There was a difference between lions and wolves or hyenas. Wolves are strong, but their advantage lies in the tacit understanding the warriors have with each other. The hyenas rely simply on numbers to wear down the strength of their prey, but the lions are different. The lions although smaller in number, have strength that rivals the tigers. A single lion would only be at the mercy of something like the bear tribe. The chieftain knew he had underestimated the monster, he knew his tribe was not as strong as the past, so he believed their loss was due to the lack of ferocity they once had, and even the hyena tribe. Although the monster had almost massacred them, he only thought about the strength of a few hyena, not the entirety of them. 

Like an epiphany, the chieftain knew there was only one chance for the wolf tribe to survive. However the issue remained, not only did they offend the monster, but the tribe lost so many of their family. How could he allow the two sides to put aside their hatred, for the good of the tribe? It seemed as if cold water had been poured all over him,drenching the rising enthusiasm. Perhaps his daughter could speak to the monster? But does Sedraa have that kind of sway in the monsters heart? The chieftain was stuck in a vicious cycle of anxiety and self doubt, a helplessness that he couldn't get rid of plagued his subconscious. 

Arzhen however didn't feel any such negative emotions. She may not have a full understanding of the situation between the various tribes, but it didn't mean she was clueless. A group of lions can waltz into the wolf tribe as if they own the place, and it was not long after she had dealt with the hyenas. If they weren't connected, she wouldn't believe it. She didn't know what the chieftain meant by sending the lions to her, but she thought there might be more to it than just footing the blame to her. 

The arrogance of those lions is what surprised her, as if they were walking in their own territory. This made Arzhen have to think more. Is the situation of the wolves so bad, that other tribes can come and go as they please? Maybe only the stronger tribes dare to do so now, but with the proof of the hyenas, it can be seen that the weaker tribes are starting to test the waters, waiting for the opportunity to take a piece for themselves. 

Arzhen wasn't worried about what would happen to the wolf tribe. She had always resented them for abandoning her, and she could only accept the few little wolves that tried their best to ingratiate themselves to her. Arzhen knew she was a cruel person, so she wouldn't send out unnecessary kindness to everyone, but she once again thought that if the wolf tribe was defeated, could she live as freely as she does now? There are no tribes that can ride on their heads, but if the wolves are subjugated, the restrictions they face will be more than she can accept. 

Surprisingly, a subtle understanding was born between Arzhen and the chieftain. For different reasons, they both wanted the wolf tribe to maintain its dominance, or even increase it, so that they wouldn't have to face these constant provocations. 

Arzhen returned to the den full of thoughts about what she should do in the future. She knew the wolf tribe was not the match of a tribe like the lions. Although they weren't terribly weak, but they couldn't even deal with her alone. How could they be able to best an entire tribe of much stronger beasts? 

The three little wolves saw that the black wolf was absent-minded. She just lay the prey down in front of them and went over to lay down. The three little wolves looked at each other with doubts and wondered what had made the black wolf act so strangely today. 

Lida, as the oldest of the three, took the opportunity to ask. 

"Darling, is there something wrong?" 

Arzhen heard her mother's query and looked up to see the doubtful and worried faces of the three little wolves. She thought for a while longer, and as the little wolves became nervous, she spoke with a resounding solemnity. 

"I need to talk with the chieftain". 

44