Ch.34: Family
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hours later, after the sun sets, Glyn sits in his study with Mila, Tisha, and Miller around him. He works on his makeshift map as Tisha instructs him as he charts a course. Before long, he stops and stares at the map with a smirk on his face. The others look at it, shaking their heads as he sighs.

            “What’s wrong with it?” He asks.

            “It looks like crap,” Tisha says. “You’re a terrible artist, you know that.”

Miller nods. “I thought nobles were raised learning of the fine arts. I guess certain things just can’t be taught.”

Glyn glares at the pair. “Oh, shut up! I spent my days studying rather than working in the arts. I left the arts to my sister.”

            “A sister?” Mila asks.

            “Yeah, I have a younger sister. I am the first son of house Mattox, but she is the heir.” Glyn shakes his head. “But none of that matters right now. For now, the most important thing is that we have a way to Albert Island!”

            “Now we can strike against the asshole when the war begins,” Miller says, shaking his head. “I know his type. They hate being told no, so I’m sure he’ll come after us the moment he gets a chance.”

            “Yeah, I can confirm that,” Glyn says, shaking his head. “But Tisha is your friend….”

Tisha nods. “He died. And he died at peace. That’s all I could do for him.”

            “We should bury him. I know it’s far away, but we can still give him a proper rest.”

            “I’ve asked the Elder to cremate him. After that, I’ll find a tree to plant his ashes under. I still have to write a letter for grandfather and the others.” Tisha sighs. “We’ll do the burial in the morning. It’s bad luck for funerals to happen at night.”

            “Fine. Let’s call it a night.”

            “Um….” Everyone turns to Mila as she struggles with her words. “I want to know more.”

            “About what?” Glyn asks.

            “About you. And our enemy, and why you’re here. I can tell this Fenwick is the person you’re here to defeat or kill. And I want to know why? Please tell me.”

Glyn nods. “Fine. I guess if you’re going to be fighting for me, I owe you an explanation for why we have to fight.”

            “I already know why we have to fight. But I am curious about your role in all of this, Glyn.”

            “I admit I have my curiosities,” Miller says with a smirk.

            “Fine, I’ll tell you all.” Glyn sighs. “I was planning to get some sleep tonight, but I’ll answer your questions for a while before bed.” He sits down on the sofa and crosses his arms. “Let’s get this over with.”

            “First off, what’s your relation to that guy?” Tisha asks.

Glyn takes a breath. “A long time ago, after the war against the Demon Lord settled down, the Fenwick family gave a handful of families the status of minor nobility House Mattox was among those families.”

            “So, you owe that family for your house’s fortunes?” Miller asks.

            “True. But we paid whatever debt we owed off before I was born. But there’s this annoying little thing about nobility between nobles. If you’re brought up by another family, you owe them for as long as your house continues to prosper. It’s annoying as hell, and because of it, so many people keep looking out for talented people to rise.”

            “It’s an excellent system. One that can award someone’s merit, but I also imagine it could be highly corrupted.” Tisha says.

Glyn shakes his head. “Sadly, that’s true. Without the king sitting on his throne, the politics of the mainland is chaos. The king was the figurehead that kept the land united, so without him, it’s a land grab. Hell, I heard rumors of rebellion before I set off. I imagine some foolhardy nobles are trying their hand at becoming their own king right now as we speak.”

            “That’s unsettling,” Miller says.

            “Forgetting about the mainland’s instability for a moment, let’s talk more about house Fenwick,” Miller says.

Glyn nods. “Fine. House Fenwick is one of the most powerful noble houses. They have wealth, status, power, and reputation. Any house under their flag is prosperous and because so many owe them, they maintain a level of power even after there was a big incident that ruined their reputation.”

            “What incident?”

            “No one knows the specifics, but in a single night, most of the family died, leaving only the current Count Fenwick alive. He inherited the house and all of its holdings and has been leading it to this day.”

Tisha nods. “That’s close to what I’ve heard. But I heard he slaughtered his own family.”

            “What!?” Mila yells out. “Such a mean person is in charge of the mainland?”

            “He’s not in charge. Although you can’t tell him that. Most expected him to take the, but he declined it.” Glyn explains.

Miller nods. “Enough about politics. Let’s talk about personal matters. Why is it that you are after this Fenwick?”

Glyn pauses for a moment. “I want to stop him from marrying my sister.” His face goes red as he lowers his head. “The Count some time ago came around and forced my father into a crappy deal.”

            “I don’t know the specifics, but I do know that the harvest wasn’t good that year because of an influx of monster attacks. The Count came and helped us, but he then demanded my sister’s hand in marriage to his heir.” Glyn says.

            “So, you came to save your sister?” Miller says.

            “Yes. I have to protect her. She’s the rightful heir to house Mattox and more than that she’s also too sweet to be tied down to that asshole.”

Miller nods. “I can understand your reasoning. If someone improper were to be engaged to Mila, I’d have to resist killing the man or woman myself.”

            “Brother!” Mila yells.

Tisha laughs. “So, you entered a deadly contest with the fate of the nation on the line for the sake of saving your sibling from a marriage partner?”

            “Yeah, and what of it?”

            “Nothing. I just find it funny, but I guess everyone has their reasons.”

Glyn smirks. “Anyway, it makes my life easier that we can get right to killing that asshole.”

Mila stands. “But what’ll we do after that?”

            “I don’t know. I guess I could drop out.”

            “If you don’t desire the throne, then that would be the best option,” Miller says.

Mila stares at him. “But….”

            “But what?”

            “Nothing.” She says, sitting down as Miller turns to her. “I…. I just think….”

Tisha smirks. “What she means to say is she’ll be lonely if you leave her.”

Mila blushes. “Tisha!”

            “What it’s written all over your face. Just like a love-struck woman.” Tisha says.

Glyn smiles. “I don’t know what I’ll do next. But considering my position, I have to consider Jubert Island’s position in all this. I’ll likely have to consult the Shadows or the official rules regarding the matter. But that is something to worry about another day.”

            “Glyn,” Mila whispers.

            “That’s enough talk for now. We’ve got a funeral to perform in the morning and a lot more work to do. Let’s head to bed, everyone.” Glyn says, walking out of the room.

Mila and Tisha watch him as Miller shakes his head. “Trying to run away.”

            “What?” Mila asks.

Tisha leans back. “He was being so straightforward, I almost didn’t notice how hard he was trying to hide it.”

            “Hide what?”

            “We don’t know. But there’s some other reason he hates Fenwick. He just doesn’t want to tell us. Or he’s trying to not admit it.”

Mila stares at the door. “Glyn.” She whispers.

1