Ch.35: The Sleepless Night
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

            “So, he plans to leave after this fight?” Fiona asks as she swings her axe.

Mila nods as she and the girls stand around as the sun sets. “Yeah. But….”

            “But you don’t want him to leave,” Faye says with a smirk. “To think you’d be so nervous when you’re in love.”

Mila blushes. “I wouldn’t say, love! I just…. I just want to help Glyn. If he leaves I…”

            “You’ll miss him a ton,” Tan says, nodding along. “Trust me, I get it.”

Mila nods. “I don’t want to be separated from Glyn. He’s the first friend I’ve ever made.”

The three fall silent.

Fiona sighs. “Fine, here’s an idea. Sneak into his bed and let nature take its course.”

Mila blushes and lowers her head. “That’s…. that’s…. that’s so indecent!”

            “Indecent or not, you have to do what it takes to make him stay, right?” Faye says.

Tan nods. “Besides, you have to worry about that Elf now.”

            “Tisha?”

            “She might not want to admit it. But we see the way she looks at him. She might not even realize it now, but she has an interest in Glyn.”

Mila leaps up. “Then what do I do? If Tisha is after Glyn, then….”

            “Show some confidence. You’re a cute girl with a slamming body, the ultimate weapon in the battle of love!” Faye yells out.

Tan nods along. “Faye Mila’s a little too shy about such a robust strategy.”

            “You're right. But that innocence of hers has its appeal.”

            “Um. So, what do I do?”

            “Slip into his bed!” The three yell out in unison.

            “Whatever happens after that, just do what feels right,” Tan says. “Oh, but if he does something that makes you feel uncomfortable, we’ll beat his ass!”

Fiona nods. “The art of the night visit is a dangerous game. But if you work out well, you can cement your position.”

            “Right! I’ll try my best!”

 

As the moon hangs in the sky, Glyn sits at his desk, staring at the stack of papers all around him. Each one details a plan of attack or a battle plan as he shifts through them. He throws each of them down in frustration as he cracks open his book to scribble within.

Outside of his room, Mila walks the halls in a nightgown as her tails swing in the wind. She grips a pillow as her nervousness and apprehension grow. Forcing herself forward, she pushes down the urge to run away only to see a figure in front of Glyn’s door.

Tisha stands holding the doorknob as she turns to Mila. Tisha stands in her nightgown with a pillow in her other hand. She looks at Mila and smiles, ignoring the door to focus on her.

            “Oh, what’s this now? Mila, are you planning something?”

Mila steps back. “No! I mean. You were doing the same thing! Why else would you be here dressed like that?”

Tisha blushes and turns away. “No way. I’m not here for that. Get your mind out of the trash.”

            “Then why are you here?”

            “I came to exchange information. There's more I haven’t told Glyn, and I was hoping I could tell him before I forgot.”

            “Why didn’t you tell him earlier?” Mila stares at her with cold eyes. “We were all in the same room. You could’ve told him at any time, but you didn’t.”

Tisha turns away, feeling intense pressure. “I was just curious about Glyn’s past. That’s all. Besides, knowing more about our enemy could prove useful. Right?”

            “It feels more like you wanted an excuse to be alone with him. When did you plan this? When you got the information? When you heard, Glyn was planning to leave. Or was this a spur-of-the-moment decision?”

Tisha turns. “Mila. You don’t seem like yourself. Did I upset you or…… Listen I…..”

            “Both of you come in already!” Glyn yells from within. “And please don’t fight in the hallway.”

Mila turns to the door and her body shakes. Tisha shakes her head, grabbing her shoulder and pushes her head. “Let’s go together. Okay?”

Mila nods.

 

The two open the door to Glyn’s room, where he leans back in his chair, looking at the stack of papers. Mila rushes to his side, throwing her pillow to the ground as Tisha looks over the papers at the desk. Glyn glances at the two before turning away and putting his head in his book.

            “What’re you two doing up so late?”

            “I… I wanted….”

            “Mila and I wanted to share information. She helped me remember some things I needed to tell you.” Tisha says.

Glyn nods. “Oh alright. But what’s with the negligees?”

            “This is all I have for pajamas,” Tisha says as Mila nods along.

Glyn sighs. “Fine whatever.”

Tisha drags Mila aside as she whispers to her. “Listen, I don’t know what you believe, but I was planning to give him the information. If you want, I can leave after.”

            “I… Please stay. I don’t know if my heart can handle it alone.”

            “Fine. But if you’re going to play such an aggressive move, you have to be ready for it. I got in your way today, but who knows what could happen next time?”

Mila nods. “Right.”

            “Are you two done?”

            “Sorry!” Mila yells.

Glyn stands as he organizes his papers. “So, what’s this information?”

            “Albert Island.”

            “What about it?”

            “Do you want a map of the island itself?”

Glyn stops. “What?”

Tisha reaches into her pillowcase and pulls out a scrap of paper. “It’s basic knowledge to make a map of your surroundings when you arrive in a new location. It’s what I did when I arrived here.”

            “So, your friend gave you this?”

            “Yes. He hid it on his person when he died.”

            “And you didn’t tell me about this because?”

She opens it, revealing the sketch of the island. “It’s a simple map, nothing too detailed, but there are some locations marked on here that might be of importance. And as for the reason, I didn’t tell you before because I didn’t want that asshole knowing about it.”

            “You're right. He might’ve gotten defensive and done something drastic if he learned of this map’s existence.”

            “And according to him, there’s a resistance movement forming on the island. Their bases are marked here, so it would’ve been terrible if he got his hands on it.” Tisha explains.

Glyn nods. “This is good news. We could have allies on that island we haven’t met yet. Hopefully someone strong enough to help us.”

Mila shrinks back as she watches the two talk. She sits on the bed before Glyn turns his head to her.

            “Um, Mila, are you okay?”

            “I feel useless.”

            “What?”

            “I can’t come up with a plan or a strategy. I’m only good at fighting and not even that.”

Glyn sighs. “Mila, we’ve been over this. You don’t have to do everything.”

            “But I want to help. Today, I felt helpless when you looked like you needed someone to help. Brother and Tisha were able to fall in line behind you immediately, and yet I hesitated.”

Tisha sits next to her. “Come on Mila, you’re the Queen, remember? You’re the strongest piece Glyn has.”

            “But….”

Glyn smirks and sits next to her. “Mila, why did you come here? Not what did someone push you to do, but really, why did you decide to come tonight?”

            “To comfort you. You looked stressed and overworked. I hadn’t seen you like that, and it worried me.”

Glyn pats her head. “See, you are helpful.”

            “Huh?”

            “I’m sure Tisha and Miller didn’t even notice.”

Tisha nods. “I noticed when I got in the room. But I failed to notice how much work Glyn is doing. All of those papers are related to Jubert Island and its people, how the island is run, its food reserves, almost everything.”

            “The Elder asked for my help with a few things. With the war coming, we have to coordinate for attacks. I’ve been thinking of fostering some of the village’s reserves here, but I’m also having second thoughts about it.”

Mila nods. “We need to prepare for winter. And the harvest wasn’t the best this year because of the stuff with the dungeon.”

            “And fishing is down partially thanks to me and the war, too. If I’m going to act like the leader here, I have to at least help clean up my messes.”

            “Glyn.” Mila reaches out and wraps her arms around him. “You don’t have to work so hard. I… we’re here to help.”

Glyn blushes. “I know that. But everyone has enough stress preparing for the war.”

            “Calm down and use that head of yours, Half-Elf. You should know when to rely on others and how bad stretching yourself too thin is.” Tisha says jokingly.

Glyn smirks. “Fine. I’ll slow down a little, but….”

            “I hope you can relax even with the war on the way. I hope you can rely on me.” Mila closes her eyes and tightens her grip. “I hope you can tell me everything one day.”

Mila snores as Tisha and Glyn stare at her.

            “I guess her nerves finally gave out. The poor girl was stressed to her limits.” Tisha says. “I’ll have to talk with the other girls about pushing her so far.”

            “Please. And can you help me get her back to her room? If Miller catches us like this, he will kill me.”

Tisha smiles and leans back on the bed. “Good night!”

She claps her hands and extinguishes the candles in the room.

            “Tisha?” Glyn stares at her as she doesn’t move. “Oh, come on.”

Tisha snores and Glyn sighs, leaning back on the bed, unable to escape Mila’s embrace.

            “It’s moments like this. I remember how strong she is.” He turns to her and smiles, returning her embrace. “Mila, you’re stronger than me in more ways than one.”

1