Ch.44: Opening Salvo
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the sun rises on a new day, Fenwick sits in his bed staring at a book as he holds a glass of wine in his hand. A woman slinks out of the bed and leaves the room with Fenwick, ignoring her departure. Before long, a blond-haired woman enters the room with her eyes closed. Fenwick smiles, looking at her, closes his book as he crawls out of the bed.

            “Pepper, please tell me what today is?” Fenwick says, staring at her with a wide grin on his face.

She nods. “Yes, Master. Today marks the beginning of the King’s War. We finished the preparations last night, and the ship was setting out now to Jubert Island.”

            “Good. The Pawns are on the ship alongside the mercenaries?”

            “Yes, and two of the Knights. They should arrive within a few hours.”

Fenwick nods. “I’ll show Glyn what happens when you defy my will. I will become the king and he should be grateful I gave him the chance to stand at my side.”

            “Yes, Master. Everyone is grateful for the chance to stand at your side.”

            “My saboteurs sadly couldn’t do much. But they should have wrecked that boat enough so that Glyn can’t leave the island anytime soon to mount a decent offensive against me. He may be brilliant, but if we can push him into an inferior position, he’ll have no choice.”

            “Sir, what of our defenses? With the Pawns and Knights gone, it only leaves the Rooks and Bishops to defend the island.” Pepper says.

            “Don’t think of it. With your abilities, my Queen, no one will slip through our defenses and I’m no pushover either and with the enhancement of the King’s Piece, I can overcome most foes. We’re fine. No one can touch us now.”

She nods. “If you say so, Master. I will prepare some extra defenses in case the dissidents cause trouble with half of our forces off of the island.”

            “A good idea. Maybe we can stomp out that pathetic bunch once and for all. Soon I’ll be in charge of two islands, so I’ll need to spend my time more effectively.”

            “Of course, Master.”

Fenwick smiles. “And I’ll be able to add more women into my harem. That Fox Beastkin girl who’s by Glyn’s side. She’d be an excellent addition, maybe the Elf too.”

            “I’ll inform our soldiers to be careful not to damage them too much.”

            “Thank you, Pepper. I’ll be happy on the day you join as well. You’ve got quite the attractive form, after all.”

She bows. “Thank you for the compliment. But my contract with your father withstands. The day it is broken, I may consider it.”

            “Sad. And what of the old man’s status? I’m sure someone’s attempted to kill him at least once or twice by now.”

She nods. “There have been fifteen assassination attempts within the past two weeks. The Count’s abilities successfully overcame each one.”

            “I expect no less from my father. Despite his chubby appearance, he’s still a warrior of merit. Sadly, at this rate, someone might get lucky and kill him. I have to hurry and take the throne to secure his and my life.”

Pepper bows. “I’ll inform him of your concern.”

            “Don’t tell him. It’s embarrassing for my father to know I’m worried about him. He’ll hold that over me forever.”

            “Noted.”

Fenwick grabs a sword from the side of the bed as he walks towards the hall. “Now let’s be on our way, Pepper. We’ve got a war machine to prepare.”

            “Yes, Sir.”

 

Off the shores of Jubert Island, a large boat docks on a sandy shore. As the ship docks, two women carrying swords jump off of the deck. After them, eight other women in light armor follow before several men carrying various weapons follow behind them. One of the first pair, a woman with short black hair and an eye patch, stands in front of the group.

            “Alright, this should be quick. The one in charge here only has his pawns and three higher-ranked pieces. Add into that his status as a magic less Half-Elf he’s easy pickings.”

A woman with long blond hair laughs as she walks forward. “This island feels too peaceful. If he didn’t bring anyone in, then they’re likely nothing but weaklings.”

            “Mika, don’t underestimate them. Even if they're weak, the Pieces can enhance them.” The eye-patched woman says.

            “Come Luna. We have to hurry this up before the young Lord gets bored. I’m sure he’s lonely without his favorite women around to keep him company.” Mika says.

Luna shakes her head. “Never mind any of that. Let’s just get this job done.”

            “Should we occupy the village, then? Draw the fools out?” One man asks.

            “No. According to our intel, there’s only one primary target where all of their forces have gathered. And they're likely there now.” Mika walks forward, spotting the manor in the distance. “Alright, all forces move out. We’re taking that manor on the hill!”

 

The group marches up the hill towards the manor surrounding the area as they try to close off any escape routes. However, as they search, they find no traces of anyone around. After securing the perimeter, they enter through the gates into the courtyard and look around the area. Several men rush inside the building. Mika smiles as she draws out her sword and swings it around, slicing through a stone pillar with ease.

            “So boring? Did they decide to run away?”

            “They could be in hiding. We have to be careful in case they decide to pull any sneak attacks on us.” Luna says.

Mika sighs. “Fine. But I want to take the first kill. These idiots better not waste our time by being weaklings. I want to have a decent fight for the beginning of this war.”

            “You’ll get your fill of fighting. Just calm down for now.”

As the two scout the area, three bodies fall out of the windows above, crashing to the ground.

            “Wow, they came here.” A voice says from above.

            “I guess Glyn was right. Their actions are pretty predictable.” Another says.

Two figures stand on the edge of the window, looking down at the two. Otso and Fiona stand next to each other as they stare down.

            “Oh good, at least two of them have guts!” Mika yells out.

            “Calm down, where are the rest of them!?” Luna asks.

Fiona smiles. “Well…..”

            “Boss!” A voice yells out from outside.

Outside of the gates, Ivar and Faye smash through the mercenaries, beating them back. The bulk of the group is forced into the courtyard as more figures appear, looking down on them. Luna pulls out her sword as Mika smiles, readying herself for a fight.

            “Looks like we fell into their trap,” Luna says.

Mika laughs. “Good! Looks like these guys are gutsy! I like that!”

            “You two must be the Knights for Fenwick,” Miller says, standing on the roof with Rufus at his side. “Doing a count the other women in the fancy armor must be his other pawns. And those men must be mercenaries.”

            “You're right, but you only have eight Pawns. Also, it looks like everyone’s here, meaning your King has fled with his strongest pieces. While you may have some enforcement, you're still Pawns and you’re outnumbered. Give it up, lay down your arms, and hand over your King!”

Miller laughs. “We may count as pawns and you may see us as weak, but we are far stronger than we appear. Now everyone!”

Everyone holds out their hands as their Pawn Pieces appear and suddenly change shape before disappearing.

            “What was that?”

            “Pawns have one ability that allows them to grow stronger, if only for a brief period.” Miller draws his sword as flames burn around the blade. “With this borrowed power, we’re going to defend our home!”

            “Bring it on!” Mika yells as electricity surrounds her body. “I’ve been wanting a good scrap!”

            “If you dare challenge us, then we have no choice but to crush you. In Fenwick’s name, we will show you our might!” Luna yells as electricity sparks out of her hands.

The two leap into the air at Miller as his blade pierces his hand, growing larger. They each swing their blades at each other as their attacks bounce off each other, causing an explosion that knocks them all back.

            “Everyone, let’s show them our strength!” Miller yells out, leaping down from above.

0