Prologue 4: No Expectations
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

            “Father, I demand a position in the competition!” Fenwick charges into his father’s study glaring down at him.

Count Fenwick stands in front of a large bookshelf pulling a book off of the shelf and turning away from his son. Fenwick glares at his father as he sits down at his desk, he stomps forward slamming his hands on the desk as Count Fenwick glances at him.

            “What are you on about now boy?”

            “I’ve heard the rumors, Father. With the king dead a successor the king is without an heir and the great houses are in an uproar. If nothing is done the kingdom will fall apart! But I know you would never allow that to happen.”

Count Fenwick lowers his book. “Oh? You’ve done a fair amount of research on your own. I’m honestly surprised.”

            “Of course, Father. As your heir it is my job to stay informed even if you do not tell me anything.”

            “I tell you what you need to know. I’m happy you’re gathering your own information, but you don’t need to get any extra ideas in your head.”

Fenwick nods. “But Father our house is among the most powerful of the great houses. This should be our time to take the throne for ourselves.”

            “Boy!” Count Fenwick screams out. “You should know your place. Our house is to assist the throne. We are not to take power for ourselves. We are to guide the king never supplant him.”

            “But Father! There is no longer a king. We have to take power for ourselves if we are to maintain the unity of our country.”

            “And we are. The great houses are debating and we are selecting candidates to test their worthiness for ascending to the throne.”

            “The competition.”

He sighs. “Yes. There will be a competition. Most likely a battle of some sort.”

            “Father please I demand I participate in this competition. I promise you that I can win it and take the throne. I can lead our country.”

Count Fenwick laughs. Fenwick scowls as the count’s laughter comes to a crawl.

            “That’s a laughable idea Boy. I have my doubts that you could lead our house if I should pass. Maybe I should contact your siblings to take your position.”

Fenwick takes out a sword and stabs it into the desk glaring at his father with his all his hatred in his eyes. “You always look down on me Father. You underestimate me, and I promise you that I will go about things as I please. You leave me no other choice.”

Fenwick leaves the room slamming the doors as Count Fenwick shakes his head. He takes the sword removing it from his desk as he stares down at it.

            “That boy. He’s still such a handful always so up into his own head so much like his mother before him.” He plants the sword at his side as he stares ahead. “I just wish that child wouldn’t get up in his own head. He has a long way to go before being worthy of our house.”

 

Fenwick stomps out of the study into the hall where two girls wait for him. As he stomps past them, they chase behind him catching up and matching his pace as they move to the end of the hall. Outside of his father’s earshot he punches a hole into the stone wall as his skin breaks and hand bleeds.

            “Lord Fenwick!” One of the girls rushes ahead and casts healing magic on the wound.

            “I’m sorry Camile. It’s….”

            “It’s the Count again?” The other girl asks.

He nods. “Father did not like my suggestion that we rise our station. At this rate we’ll languish about until we’re driven into irrelevance.”

            “Fenwick.”

            “We’ve lost some of our territories to lesser houses. Never mind the king’s death puts us in a precarious position. Our house was only given such a high station because of our ancestor’s ability. But neither me nor my father have manifested that skill, if neither of us can awaken that power then we’re going to lose our station within the next few generations.”

            “No one will realize it. There are no more Demons and as long as another Demon lord does not appear then that skill is not needed.”

Fenwick stares at his hand. “Father said he was looking into seeing if my siblings could take my position as heir.”

            “That bastard!” She says.

            “It’s fine. If any of them can manifest the skill then they’re the true heirs to this house.”

The girls rush in and hug him.

            “We don’t care what anyone says. You’re the true heir to this house Fenwick!” One yells out with tears in her eyes.

The other tightens her grip. “If anyone tries to take your place, I’ll slaughter them no matter what.”

Fenwick smiles. “Thank you. I can’t thank both of you enough.”

            “Am I interrupting?” A voice says at the end of the hall.

A blond well-dressed short rotund man with a thick mustache walks up to the three as the girls Fenwick pushes the girls off of him. He looks up at Fenwick with a smile on his face as he takes out a small paper fan and begins fanning himself.

            “Hello Uncle.” Fenwick bows to the man.

He laughs. “Oh, dear little Fenny. You don’t need to do that, you are the only child of my dear departed sister, you can let yourself be more casual with me.”

The girls tap on Fenwick. “You shouldn’t bow to him. His house is lower than yours if anyone else sees….”

            “My Uncle has helped raise me in ways my father never has. He’s more than deserving of a show of respect.”

The two pause and move behind Fenwick.

            “Those girls of yours are right. They’re fine concubines looking out for their lord’s wellbeing. I wish I had such capable assets under my employ. And knowing you they must be rather skilled in bed as well. A complete package if I do say so myself.”

Fenwick nods. “They are invaluable to me. I wouldn’t be anywhere without them.”

            “It’s good to know your allies and your enemies. Never forget that dear nephew.”

Fenwick nods again. “But Uncle why are you here today? Are you here to see Father?”

            “No. Not today. For today I have something I wish to ask you.”

            “What?”

            “Do you wish to take the throne dear child?”

Fenwick pauses. “What?”

            “Rumors are about. On the Alook Islands a group of gifted youths are being gathered to participate in a miniaturized war.  A war game if you will.”

            “I knew it.”

            “I’m sure your father is also well aware but he is to set in the old ways of this house. He’d never dream of seeing someone of his own blood taking the throne. But I see it in you, I see the one who can take the throne and unite the country and the houses under your banner.”

            “Yes. Our family has aided the king for the past century. But now it’s time for one of us to sit upon the throne we’ve guarded.” Fenwick stares ahead with rage in his eyes. “And I will be that person.”

            “That’s good.” He walks forward reaching into his coat and pulls out a box. “If you’re sure put your blood on this stone and seal the contract.”

            “Contract?”

            “This is the first step to entering the competition. I’ve managed to get several people to back the person of my choosing. And dear nephew I chose you to take the throne.”

Fenwick stares at the stone box and reaches out his hand. He puts his hand on the box as a sharp pain shoots through his hand and his blood spreads across the surface. The blood forms into a sigil as the box opens revealing a king piece that flies into Fenwick’s body. A sigil appears on his hand for a brief moment before fading away and he looks down on his uncle.

            “So, am I in this little game?”

He nods. “Yes. You are, and I believe you’ll be the one to win this game.” He signals for something behind him. “And I know just what you’ll need to win.”

            “What?”

            “A powerful ally.”

Two men walk forward with a blond-haired woman in a green dress walking in between them. Fenwick stares down at her noticing her eyes are closed and an odd sensation coming off of her.

            “Uncle what is this?”

            “Ah that girl is your ally. She’s someone special who owes me a favor or two and I decided it’d be best for her to help you and then I’ll wipe away her debt.”

Fenwick stares at her reaching out his hand. “She is quiet lovely.”

Just before he touches her a spark shoots out towards him. “My Lord I wouldn’t do that if I were you.” She says.

            “I know how you enjoy your women. But sadly, this one is cursed so that no one is allowed to touch her. You’ll have to leave her alone on that front.”

Fenwick smirks. “That’s more than fine. Once I’m king I’ll have whatever woman I want. The royal bloodline must continue ager all.”

            “That’s my boy.”

            “So, woman tell me your name.”

She bows. “I am Pepper.”

            “Just Pepper?”

            “Yes. I am only known as Pepper.” She says.

            “Alright then. Pepper you’ll work for me and together we’re going to put me on the throne.”

She bows again. “Whatever you say my Lord. I will work for you and make sure you get what you are owed.”

            “Good then. Let us have a long fulfilling relationship.” Fenwick smiles barely containing his excitement as he ogles her body.

            “Of course, my Lord.” Pepper repeats.

0