Ch.81: Isaac Pearson
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Isaac Pearson, youngest son of the Pearson family. The Pearson Dukedom is seen as a nearly idealistic territory where the nobles hold a strong belief in Noblesse Oblige. In his youth, Isaac was often told his position was owed to the people who held them up. It was this mindset that allowed them to bring together the warring groups that originally held their territory, including the Dragonkin tribes. With this as an example in his life, Isaac dedicated himself to learning diplomacy and studying economics to help his elder siblings who would inherit the lands. As the fifth child of the family, there would be no land for him, but he didn’t need any. He just wanted to support his family. And then the king died.

Upon the news, the entire country was nearly driven to the brink of war. Isaac watched as his parents and siblings struggled to prevent encroachment on their lands. Smaller skirmishes were breaking out all across the continent and word of multiple nobles calling themselves kings rose by the day. In this chaos, Isaac saw his true calling, becoming the one being that could once again reunite the lands and stem the tide of chaos. He would become the truest symbol of peace there is. He would become the king.

However, after gathering his forces, he planned to engage in dialogue with the other candidates. A war of words to resolve conflict and come up with better solutions. But if that failed, he would strike down his opponents as fast as he could. But any plans he came up with fell apart the moment he fell in her sight. Her airship came and nearly destroyed his island, her forces took all but his Queen, and he was forced to flee. With little choice, he found himself on a strange, abandoned island.

Now seeking a way to escape, he stands opposite to something he never thought he’d see again. Another King Candidate was trapped in the same situation as him. The perfect chance to display his diplomatic skills. Or for someone to deliver the final blow and take him out of the competition once and for all. With the fresh memory of his defeat, he refuses to lose again, having already lost more than enough in his own opinion.

 

            “I never would’ve expected to see someone of your stature in a situation like this,” Glyn says, staring at Isaac.

Isaac smirks. “I was surprised when I heard you were the one to take out Fenwick. I would’ve expected someone with a little more backbone.”

            “Glyn?” Mila asks, confused.

Glyn puts his hand in front of her. “So let me guess. Someone beat you and you were running away only to end up stuck in this place.”

            “How can you tell?”

            “You’re haggard, tired, and clearly on edge. Why else try to set me off by mentioning Fenwick like that?”

Isaac smiles and bows. “Sorry, I had to test you. I wanted to make sure you were still capable of rational thought.”

            “Huh?”

            “Some of our fellow contestants seem to have lost themselves in the pursuit of the throne becoming…. Let’s just say they are nothing more than monsters.”

            “Well, I’m not going to lose myself. I’m not even fighting for the throne; I’m just making sure this mess doesn’t spread any more out of control that it’s already gone.”

A figure leaps out of the tree line, crashing next to Isaac, guarding him and holding a spear out towards Glyn.

            “Well, our savior. It’s only been a few minutes and we’ve already been reunited.”

A woman covered in scales with long blue hair and piercing red eyes stares up at Glyn with an intense rage in her eyes. A large pair of leathery wings extend from her back as her tail swings in the wind. Sparks come from her mouth as her teeth grind against each other.

Mila leaps ahead of Glyn, holding out her sword as she stares down at the woman, her tails igniting. “Don’t hurt Glyn!”

            “Stay away from Isaac!” The woman yells.

            “Xia Bai, calm down. I was making progress with this one.” Isaac says.

She stares at Glyn for a moment, who holds out his hands. “I promise to not attack at this time.”

She looks at Isaac, who nods, and she puts her spear away. Glyn puts her sword away, retracting it into her gauntlet. The pair back off, with Glyn and Isaac walking forward towards the other.

            “So, do you have any idea what’s going on?” Glyn asks.

            “I’ve been stuck here for a few days. But the only thing I can determine at this point is that this island isn’t an island. The surrounding space is wrapped and strangely isolated from the outside world.” Isaac stares towards the sky where the full moon hangs high overhead. “For the past few days, it’s been a full moon every night. Or what I can assume to be night.”

            “I have some theories. But I can’t say anything concrete with no new information.”

            “I see. Let’s call an end to this engagement, then.”

Mila rushes ahead. “Huh, why?”

            “It’s simple. Neither of us trusts the other at this point.” Glyn explains, staring at Isaac. “I don’t know what happened to the once great negotiator to put him so on edge, but he’s not letting his guard down soon.”

Isaac nods. “Or maybe you're just not the trustworthy sort. You’ve already bitten at the hand that feeds you once. I can imagine you doing something similar if I were to offer my hand.”

            “Only if you give me a reason to. Although I’d rather not really. It’s too much work to deal with the fallout as a result.”

Isaac walks off with his assistant following behind him, glancing at Glyn. “Let’s agree to not interfere with each other for now.”

            “Of course. But our end goal for now remains the same, right?” Glyn asks with a smirk on his face.

            “To escape from this island.”

            “To get back to the game.”

The pair stare at each other with stern expressions on their faces. “And then we can kill each other.”

0