Chapter 1: Alley Cat
953 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Stray

 

Chapter 1: Alley Cat

Dark and acute, the walls on either side of this valley were tall and apparently rose without an end. The span of the walls ran almost endlessly down to a narrow slit of blinding light. Beyond that light was chaos, noise, and danger. Within the protective walls was a limited freedom of assured security. Yet, if I stayed here, I'd die of starvation and thirst.

On all fours, I squeezed through the little space given me until I managed to twist, turn, and wiggle my head out to see the bright and shining world. Long-legged people towered above and walked without care of my presence nearby. All they wanted was to move from one point to the next. It amazed me how many of these people there were. If anything, I'd have thought that they'd have gone into their graves by now from a lack of food.

Certainly was crowded.

If I were to take a step out of here, the next worry on my list wouldn't be starving, but being stepped on or kicked. Nine lives aside, I didn't like the idea of losing one of them because of some jerk practicing his goalie shot on me. Alas, I did have to go out. There really wasn't anything left in this thin alley for me to eat. I’d had my fill of itty-bitty bites back there and the drip from these rooftops was rather rancid when I licked it off the brick walls.

"Okay! Three... Two..." I exhaled on 'One' silently before I dashed out from between the buildings at top speed!

Skidding in front of a pair of classy black shoes, I darted to the right and avoided a stiletto of some lady's high heels from skewering me. One leap over a man bent over and relacing his sneakers, I managed to land perfectly in front of a bench. There, a bird pecked at my head. "MEOW!"

Glaring at the bird, I seized up my shoulders and hunched down to roll my limbs loose before going for a pounce. Of course, the damn bird flew off. At least it hadn't tried to take a shit on me too!

Lifting my gaze up, I followed the bird for a little bit before dropping my stare and turning, suddenly alert to the change of pace of everyone around me. They were hurried, like this was lunch hour for them or they were late for work. Immediately, I dropped low and squirmed beneath the bench to avoid being stomped. My ears perked as I heard a car screeching before its roaring engine zoomed off in a fading distance.

Peeking out, I saw that everyone was back to walking normally again. That was my cue to pop back out and make for someplace where I could grab a bite to eat. Maybe I could catch some sushi on the corner again? So long as that tomcat wasn't waiting to drop on me again. He wasn’t getting any tail from me! He was fucking ugly: fugly.

...So what if it was my fault? I can’t control when I’d be thrown into this miserable heat! But I could choose who’d be the one for me. And right now, I was more concerned about filling my too tiny of a tummy.

My padded little paws pranced around the stream of various covered feet to that promised corner. Each leg seemed ready to direct its shod toes in my direction, but my lithe body simply glided by them with ease. None were as slick and quick as me!

Brushing my side along and around the corner, I peeked at what was on the other side cautiously. No sign of him. That was good. The tomcat might be bumping uglies with another kitty, for all I know. Meaning I was free to explore and discover if there was anything good to eat here! "Ma-ow!"

Excitedly, I raced around the corner where not too many people hung around. They acted like this place stunk! It smelled deliciously of fishies. Who could pass that up?

Lowering my front down, back raised, I stared at my target up high on top of a trash can. Its lid was slightly open. Should be enough for me to land and kick it off. Then it'd be time to dive in! "Mew!"

With a kick, I jumped up and landed on the trash can with my deft paws and claws. It took a second for me to right myself, but one little twist of my long and sleek white tail and I was balanced. I decided to give myself the savored thrill of peeking in the opening to see what was in here today.

A pair of slitted eyes stared back at me.

With a hiss, I scratched and scrambled off of the trash can as that blasted tomcat burst out from under the lid. In flight, I ran fast from his fat ugly ass. If I got back out in the forest of legs, I was sure he wouldn't follow me. He was too big to avoid getting a sturdy kick in his bulging belly.

One glance behind me shocked my sleek hairs up in fright. He was following me!

Returning my attention to where I was running, I took a chance to end this chase by lunging out into the open street. He knew the dangers, as did I. Only difference was, I was quick to get across and he wasn’t. All he had going for him was that bulk and power. If he caught me -- which was never gonna happen -- I'd be done for in a bad way.

As for the way I was going, it looked bad. Almost across the street, I heard the noise. Those vehicles were on the move again and the one coming at me was speeding. I think it actually was aiming for me. Must be a cat-hater or a lover of road-kill! Maybe they just hated all animals in general or simply wanted to vent their frustration out on poor little ol’ me.

If my sleek hairs weren't already standing up, they would be now. I could see the little bug splatter on their headlights and the dings on that tilted bumper. I was a goner...

-SNATCH-

I was rolling.

Dizzy.

Something had a hold of me and I feared the tomcat at last had me as his prized kitty!

Frantic, I scratched out in fear and mewled to be let go! Again and again, I slashed out until I felt something odd. My head was being petted.

I stopped my retaliation, perking my ears up and peeking up at what had me. There was a person there. That person held me!

From the looks of the person, it was a he. Short black hair, fair skinned, serene expression, cool and calm dark eyes, perfectly lined eyebrows, and a pleasing small smile across his lips. His fingers felt soft as they stroked over my head and neck gently. I felt my heart beat a little too quickly, but it was hard not to react in any other way to this treatment and in the arms of such a wonderfully beautiful person as him.

Alertly, I looked back across the street. That bloated fluff-ball was back in his corner after giving a few pedestrians a hissy-fit. I was saved from being smooshed under a car. And now I was given a worshipful massage. This was purrfect!

Only I caught what I’d done to his hands. They were all scratched up. When he tried again to drag his hand back over my head, I gave it a few licks to apologize and rubbed my head into his palm to dry off what little spittle I had lathered on him.

Curled up, I was lifted and taken with him. Oh, I could get used to this kind of moving around. No more worrying about getting kicked around. At least, just for today. Cuddling in, I closed my eyes and blissfully enjoyed him grooming me with pets...

13