C508
121 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"If you are a nobleman in the service of the empire, you should give priority to the engagement and meeting of His Highness Kiel and Lady Meldy rather than the postwar settlement of the fox people. Don't you all agree?"

When Lord Bergamot spoke, some of the nobles applauded.

These people are .......

Perhaps they are clapping now because they want me to go to the foxmen's territory and expect me to make some kind of blunder.

"I understand everyone's viewpoint. Rid, what do you think about this?"

The emperor's question brought silence to the audience chamber.

I looked sideways at my father, who was shaking his head with a grim expression on his face.

I guess he was saying, 'Refuse."

If I refuse at this moment, Kiel's arrival in Bardia will be delayed.

As planned, my father would go to the territory of the fox people to deal with the consequences of the war.

But if I refuse, the Bardia family's position and influence in the empire will weaken in no small way.

Nobles are a society that values honor and respect, and the fact that they refused the emperor's request would remain.

I have a feeling that the emperor understands this and is daring to test me by asking me a question.

In addition, I am personally a little concerned about the territory of the fox people ...... or Zuvera.

I took a deep breath and turned to the emperor, apologizing with a glance at my father, 'I'm sorry.

'Though I am young, I am also a servant of the empire. If necessary, I am prepared to go to Zubera on my father's behalf."

When I answered, there was a stir among the nobles.

Apparently, they had thought that I would refuse, blowing in the wind of cowardice.

"...... you fool."

Father muttered in a voice only I could hear and let out a deep sigh.

Oh, this is the kind of thing that will make him very angry later.

"Rid, that's a good answer."

The emperor's face turned into a satisfied smile.

"When you return to Bardia, Kiel will accompany you. That's fine with you, too."

"Yes, I understand. Father."

Kiel nodded in reply, then turned his attention to us and smiled.

He looked at me and smiled, but he was not smiling.

I wonder if he knows what is going on.

It's like the royal family, how can I say it?

Hmm, hey, wait a minute. ......

 

A chill ran down my back as I huffed.

If Mel and the second prince, Kiel, are engaged, then Valerie, the villainess who is engaged to the first prince, David, will become my sister-in-law.

In other words, we would be relatives.

This engagement may possibly be linked to the road to condemnation,....... When I thought so, His Majesty Matilda cleared her throat.

"Well, Rainer,. Take good care of my son."

"Ah, yes."

The father bowed with a resigned look and looked up, a serious expression on his face.

'Your Majesty. I am afraid I have something to say in response to Lord Bergamot's comment. May I have a moment of your time?"

"All right. Go ahead."

After receiving the Emperor's permission, the father turned to Lord Bergamot and asked,

"...... is this about? Count Reiner,"

"I'm talking about the aftereffects of magic depletion disease. There is no evidence either way at the moment. Therefore, any discussion is a watered-down argument. But even so, I will ask you to withdraw the statement you made on this occasion, which was based on the assumption that there are aftereffects."

"I don't understand. However, you should always think of things in terms of the "worst case scenario." It would be more reasonable to assume that there will be no aftereffects, rather than to hope for the absence of aftereffects."

Lord Bergamot cowered his shoulders and shook his head.

But father's expression remained demonic.

"You are not a 'party' to this, so you can speak of it as if it were someone else's problem. I, too, believe that the presence or lack of aftereffects should be judged with caution. However, I am saying that if it becomes a 'premise' that there is, it will lead to 'harmful rumors' against those who are suffering from 'magical power depletion disease."

Daring, I suppose.

The father continued, his voice rasping as if he were roaring in the audience chamber.

"The people who are suffering from magic depletion, both at the national and international level, include commoners, aristocrats, and noblemen. There are people from all backgrounds, both at home and abroad, who are suffering from magical power depletion. How will you take responsibility if they are exposed to unjustified slander as a result of your comments?"

"Well, that is ......."

Lord Bergamot looked at him with a sour expression, and the father pressed on.

"'The cause of the disease remains unknown, although there has been some light on how to treat it. In other words, anyone in this room can develop magic depletion disease. You cannot be unaware of how difficult it is to dispel rumors once they have spread. Therefore, I am saying that you should withdraw your rash statement."

"No. Hmmm... ......"

"That's enough, both of you."

The emperor stopped them as the father and Sir Bergamot glared at each other.

"Rainer is probably right. The existence of the aftereffects of magic depletion disease needs to be carefully investigated. Yet, baseless assertions based on the assumption that there are aftereffects may lead to meaningless rumors and speculation, and may even lead to discrimination. Lord Bergamot, I think you should retract your statement on that point."

'Ha, yes. I am sorry. I admit that it was an indiscreet remark, and I withdraw it."

Lord Bergamot bowed deeply to us as he said this.

"I am afraid I must admit that I was careless in my remarks and I withdraw them. Then, I will not allow any meaningless speculation or thoughtless remarks in the name of the emperor regarding the existence of aftereffects of magic depletion disease. We will wait for the clarification of the matter by Count Sandra. Everyone, be mindful."

At His Majesty's words, all the nobles bowed in reverence.

After that, the report in the audience hall came to an end, and we moved to the guest room in the castle.

"It's all very strange."

Father let out a deep sigh and sat down vigorously on the sofa in the guest room.

"The sudden engagement between Mel and His Highness Kiel alone is enough to give me a headache, but I never thought that Rid would have to go to the territory of the Foxmen on my behalf."

Father said and turned his gaze to me, who was sitting on the sofa in front of me across the desk.

"'...... I am sorry that I took the liberty of making that decision. The Bardia family's reputation would have been ruined if I had refused in that situation. That was unavoidable."

"I understand. But you are still a young child. It wouldn't have been much of a problem if I had said no right then and there. Besides, ......"

Just as he was about to say something, there was a knock at the door.

The door slammed. Their Majesties have summoned you to another room.

"I understand. I will be right there."

Father stood up slowly and wrinkled his brow.

"I knew I had been called. Come on, let's hear the answer to your farce."

"Yes, Father."

Father walked briskly on his way.

But there was a clear hint of anger emanating from behind his back.

5