c509
303 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A soldier led us into a luxurious reception room that we had been in before, where we found Their Majesties and the princes were all present.

'Rainer, Rid. Thank you for coming. Well, please sit down."

As His Majesty Irwin urged us to sit down in the chairs in front of him across the desk, the father took one look at the princes.

"I'm afraid we have a few things to confirm on our own,"

"I understand. You will wait in the other room."

"Thank you."

The first prince, David, nodded, and the princess, Adi, aka Adeel, and the second prince, Kiel, also nodded and left the room.

As they were leaving, the three of them smiled at me with narrowed eyes.

I hear the door close, and we are alone in the room with Their Majesties.

In the silence, my father's brow wrinkles.

'Well, Irwin and Matilda," he said, What is your intention in the audience chamber?"

'Don't look so fearful. I knew you were angry."

When Irwin cowered with a wry smile on his face, his father leaned forward and shouted, "Of course I am.

"No wonder. I was bitter about this at the time of Rid's marriage, and now you treat my daughter, Meldy, this way. Not only as a parent, but also as a subject in the service of the empire. As a vassal in the service of the empire, you have every right to be angry."

As if in response to the father's emotion, the atmosphere in the room instantly became tense.

I gulped, but Their Majesties, as is their wont, showed no change in their expressions.

"Your point is well made. First of all, let me apologize for what I said earlier. I am sorry."

"I apologize too. I am sorry too."

Their Majesties replied and both bowed their heads together.

Witnessing the unexpected appearance of the people at the top of the empire, I was taken aback, "Eh......

Father let out a deep sigh of resignation halfway through.

'...... both of you, raise your heads. I accept your apology. But tell me more about your intentions. Why did you go to the trouble of discussing the 'engagement' at that place?"

""Well, actually. As a matter of fact. ......

Irwin and Matilda looked up and slowly began to tell the story of what had happened.

The beginning of the matter is that the conflict between the conservative and revolutionary factions of the imperial nobility is intensifying under the surface.

The emperor of the empire is hereditary, and if there are no problems, the emperor is David, the first prince.

However, it is said that there is a movement by the revolutionary faction to elevate the second prince, Kiel.

Naturally, the conservative faction, which recognizes that David, the first prince, is the emperor at the time, does not like the innovators' move, and skirmishes are said to be gradually occurring as a result of a war of words.

However, since the second prince, Kiel, has publicly stated that he is not interested in being emperor, there have been no outward clashes yet.

If the current situation is left unchecked, however, the possibility cannot be dismissed that the imperial aristocracy will split into a conservative faction that favors the first prince and an innovative faction that favors the second prince.

The innovative faction, which does not feel good about the management of the government, which is dominated by the conservative faction's claims, is even in the mood to try to foment factional clashes.

No matter how much he says he is not interested in being emperor, the innovators will continue to insist that the second prince should be emperor. If that happens, there is a strong possibility that the radical conservatives will make some kind of move."

"Your Majesty is right. That is why we decided to ask Kiel to stay away from the imperial capital for a while. Of course, he has agreed to this."

The two Majesties have serious expressions on their faces, and they don't seem to be lying in their words.

Anyway, it seems that while we were confronting the fox people, there were a lot of complicated speculations going on in the Imperial Capital as well.

I had not been able to obtain such information from the correspondence between Marrone, Berzelia, Valerie, and the others.

I guess the information I could get was limited due to my position.

I have exchanged letters with David, Kiel, and Adi, who are members of the royal family, but they are very tight-lipped, so I don't get much information about this area.

While being in the frontier of Bardia allows me to make various moves, I feel that I am one step behind the situation in the Imperial Capital and the movements of the nobles.

I think I should have a few of the children from the Second Knight's Special Forces stationed in the capital in the future.

"I understand what you are saying. But then, it could have been the Kelvin family of the Count of Grayedo Frontier instead of our family, couldn't it?"

When Father wondered, His Majesty Irwin shook his head.

"I am sorry to say that the Kelvin family, although neutral, is closer to the 'innovators' in their thinking. Besides, they don't have any daughters of the right age."

"Why are you in such a hurry to get His Highness Kiel engaged? The Kelvin family is a very innovative family."

When I twisted my head and asked, His Majesty Matilda wrinkled her brow.

, "There's a ...... little tricky move."

"Troublesome move ......?"

I asked back, and His Majesty Matilda nodded her head.

"A girl named Marone was adopted by the Marquis de Berluti. The Marquis has been taking her to many dinners with influential nobles around the country, and has been laying the groundwork for her future. Though she is very young, she seems to have a good reputation among the influential nobles for her capacity and mysterious charm. If she continues to age at her current rate, she will emerge as a candidate for Kiel's betrothal."

A chill ran down my spine when I heard the name Marrone.

I had talked to her a few times myself.

She is a perceptive girl, and as Her Majesty Matilda said, she has a mysterious charm.

Above all, she is a person to watch out for as she is likely to be the main heroine in "Tokirella."

I never imagined that she would influence my surroundings so quickly, albeit indirectly.

I guess I should have expected that.

"But she is from an orphanage and I believe her status is that of a former commoner. As a potential fiancée, is that a problem?"

In my previous world, it was rarely the case that a person could not get married because of their status, but in the world I live in now, there is a clear distinction between aristocrats and commoners.

"As one would expect, it would be difficult to marry a commoner directly to the royal family."

His Majesty Irwin cowered his shoulders and leaned forward with a serious expression on his face.

"But Marrone was adopted by the marquise at a very young age. If she continues to be recognized for her ability and talent, there is a good chance that her marriage to the royal family will be recognized in the future. In the past, there have been more than a few similar cases of former commoners becoming wives of members of the royal family."

"Your Majesty is right."

Her Majesty Matilda chimed in and cut him off, "In addition, ......."

4