C511
479 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Reiner, what do you mean by a good idea?"

While His Majesty Irwin tilted his head, Father continued his explanation.

"Even though many nobles have agreed to this sudden engagement, encouraged by Lord Bergamot and the Duke of Glades, there must be some who are dissatisfied with the suddenness of it. By keeping it as a tentative decision on the surface, we can lower the tension among those people and avoid making unnecessary enemies. Besides, it should be possible to check the innovators and conservatives who thought that His Highness Kiel could gain power in Bardia."

'Hm. But even if the decision is tentative, it is necessary to make a decision sooner or later. When do you plan to make that decision?"

"The time when he will enter the "Knight Academy of the Magnolia Empire" is a good time to make a final decision. If their engagement is confirmed at the same time as they enter the academy, it will serve as a check against the nobles who are thinking of doing something wrong."

Their Majesties' faces turned thoughtful at Father's words.

The imperial nobles cannot inherit their family's title unless they enroll in the "Magnolia Imperial Knight Academy" and graduate between the ages of 16 and 20.

In other words, one cannot become a successor, so those born into the nobility must enroll in the academy.

By the way, since many men and women of the right age gather at the school, it is said that the school also serves as a place to look for a future spouse.

The "checks and balances" against the nobles who are thinking of doing something wrong" refers to the nobles who try to use their children to form a bond with the royal family, including His Highness and other members of the royal family, as well as influential high-ranking nobles.

I do not know what the situation will be like in the empire when Mel and His Highness Kiel turn sixteen years old.

But if Bardia continues to develop as it is now, the existence and influence of Mel, the eldest daughter of the Bardian territory, should become greater still.

Their Majesties' concern about "upsetting the balance of factions of the Imperial nobility" is probably not entirely wrong.

It is said that "love is blind," and this may be necessary to prevent Mel and His Highness Kiel from being noticed by strange people.

In addition, the Magnolia Imperial Knight Academy is also the stage for "Tokirella."

"Marone" has grown up, and her capacity and mysterious charm, which her Majesty Matilda was concerned about, must have been further refined.

His Highness Kiel is also capture target in "Tokirella," but I don't remember him having a fiancée according to my memory of my previous life.

There is an element of uncertainty as to how the engagement between Mel and His Highness Kiel will affect the "absolution" that may occur in the future.

But now that we have received word from their Majesties that they can "train" him, it is certainly an opportunity to bring him over to our side.

Well, since His Highness Kiel will have a fiancée Mel, I won't allow him to be distracted by other girls.

Or rather, I intend to train my guts and spirit thoroughly so that I won't have such thoughts.

I think it would be best to keep it as a "temporary engagement" and call it an "engagement" at the age when he enters the school.

"I agree with your opinion. If we make it a tentative decision, ostensibly to prepare for 'unforeseen circumstances,' it will give us a way out in the event that we are later told about it, and minimize any upheaval that might occur between the factions."

"That's something to consider. ......"

Irwin covered his mouth with his hand and leaned back against the back of the chair he was sitting in.

A moment of silence passed in the room.

As I stared at him with bated breath, he slowly spoke up.

"Fine. Then I will make a tentative engagement and announcement to Kiel and Meldy, and make a final decision when they enter the academy. However, unless there is something wrong, there will be no change to the engagement. Is that clear to both of you?"

"I understand."

Father shook his head and I nodded in agreement.

"I am very much in favor of this. I will leave the 'education' of His Highness Kiel to you."

"I will take good care of him. I'm sure Matilda will be fine with that."

"Yes. , I am fine with that."

Her Majesty nodded in response to his Majesty's question.

If I were to speak my mind, I would be against the engagement between Mel and Kiel.

But as a nobleman belonging to the empire, it is difficult to go against His Majesty's will.

Besides, if a future in which Marrone and Kiel are married comes to pass, there is a possibility that the House of Bardia will proceed to condemnation.

It's not an easy thing to explain, but this is probably the best place to drop it.

When their Majesties seemed satisfied with the proposal, Father cleared his throat.

"Irwin. Next, I would like to talk to you about the matter with the fox people."

'It's about the 'secret agreement. I have been informed of this in secret, but could you explain it to me by way of confirmation?"

Their Majesties' expressions turned more serious, and the air in the room became tense.

Father nodded and began to talk about the secret agreement made with "Amon Grandek," the new head of the Bardia and Grandek families, and the current situation of the Foxmen tribe.

Amon is the current head of the Foxmen tribe.

At the time of our meeting, he was treated as a pawn by Gareth Grandek, the head of the old Grandek family, and was left alone and helpless.

I urged him to part ways with the former Grandek family, and Amon decided to rise up.

As a result, he became a symbol for us to fundamentally change our relationship with the Fox people and the management of our territory.

And as a condition for the Bardia family to back Amon, my father offered 'subordination through a secret agreement.

The word "subordination" tends to give a bad impression, but the territory of the Fox people is in the midst of chaos due to the sudden change of tribal leader.

If the Bardia family quits backing "Amon" under such circumstances, he will be quickly assassinated, and a conflict between the Bardia family and the Grandek family may occur again.

That is why the father went to the territory of the Fox people after the battle at the Narrow Fort to establish Amon's position while showing that the Bardia family was there as his backer.

The fact that Ammon and the father presided over the funeral of the former tribal chief "Gareth Grandek" with great fanfare also had the purpose of implicitly conveying the relationship between the two families to the rest of Zubera.

The fact that the heads of the various tribes attended the funeral meant that Amon was recognized as the new head of the tribe, and it is safe to say that the relationship between the Bardia and Grandek families was also tacitly approved.

But there are still many problems.

When Father finished telling the story of the current situation, he shook his head with a bitter expression on his face.

"Gareth and his group were taxing the people heavily in order to promote military expansion, while at the same time giving preferential treatment to powerful families who agreed with their policies and, to some extent, tacitly allowing them to line their own pockets. As a result, corruption among officials was rampant, and the people were left alive or dead."

"I see. I see. So you are saying that a major reform and cleanup is needed."

"Yes, that's right."

When His Majesty nodded his head, the father was horrified.

Then, for the future, I intend to adopt a daughter from the Bardia family and marry her off to Amon. I would like your permission to do so."

"...... Let's hear the details."

His Majesty's eyebrows twitched and his voice lowered.

4