Chapter 5: Interrogation
96 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Day 3 - Evening

"You will not speak that way regarding my servant, captain."

The pink dressed noblewoman's icy tone and steely eyes make Rocky's face go a little pale. He's starting to sweat in that fancy old timey navy uniform. With its blue tailcoat and gold epaulets. 

None of them are wearing those weird cocked hats right now. Maybe because they are indoors?

The Discovery’s captain crossed a line he shouldn't have and knows it. Miss Jenny's status as Lady Heaton's personal maid protects her from a lot of their animosity. But I didn't realize the ill will was this bad.

Never actually seen Cappy nervous. Despite being a famous adventurer and seven feet tall. A five and a half foot count's daughter has him breaking out in a cold sweat? Are Anglean nobles really that scary?

Hell, he probably can't even see her properly. Standing, his head nearly touches the ceiling while she's sitting. There's a little glowing chandelier hanging between them. Dimly lighting up the table and room along with the wall sconces.

Their illumination is not from fire though. They have some sort of yellow glowing crystals in them that look a lot like candlelight. Along with the snug spacing and lingering cooked beef smell. It gives the chamber a certain, uh, coziness. Almost like sitting by a fireplace.

"I apologize, your ladyship." His fake smile is back as he bows. "A momentary lapse. Please, I humbly ask that we recall the papal writ regarding otherworlders."

The lady in red’s also standing geezer uncle, who looks a bit like an old Mark Twain, scoffs before sitting back down.

"We will not be turning over Mr Barton to the inquisition's tender mercies, adventurer." Senior citizen's tone is harsh. "We have a more pressing need for his services."

Samantha's toes have not stopped teasing my left foot. And after making sure Wendel knows his place, she faces me and asks again.

"Tell me about your homeworld, Jon. Please."

I chuckle before replying.

"Which one?"

Her head tilts in confusion.

"Which… one?"

Ugh. I don't mind being the center of attention. But it's really not something I prefer. Rather be like that shadow guy, except fucking the honeys too. Just keep getting dragged into the spotlight.

"This is my fourth world."

To my right, Caroline sputters.

"F-fourth?! Wh-what happened to them?"

What happened to them? What the fuck do you think? I destroyed them?

So tempted to act like I demon lorded them. But know that would just make things worse. A lot worse.

"Let's see…" One finger. "Had a family and an average life on the first." Two fingers. "Had a family and conquered the second." Three fingers. "Had a family and an adventure on the third." Four fingers. "And for the fourth?" Rub my chin. "Hmm… Think I'll open a store."

Dorothy chimes in next while shyly glancing at Rocky. Geesh, girl, hero worship much?

"N-no f-fa-family?"

I smile back which makes her flush even more.

"We'll have to wait and see."

Sam has recovered enough to ask.

"Why did you leave them?"

What, you figure I was going on vacation?

"Because goddesses are backstabbing little bitches!" Bit too much hate there, Jon. Tone it down some. "Ahem. I left the first world to protect my son." Feel the old hurt bubble up. "Left the second to unite my families. Left the third to save my family. And now…" Chuckle and raise my head. "Now? Yeah, now I just want to go home."

The little shit who overcharged me for goggles talks next.

"So… why not just go?"

"Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy." Shake my head. "Without precise calculations we'd fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick wouldn't it?"

"What?"

Flashback to a certain half-japanese half-dark elf who would have been laughing her ass off after that line.

Sigh…

"Going to another world requires a very complex formula that must simultaneously solve who, what, when, where, why and how." Rub my forehead. "Also uses, as fuel, very rare materials that don't exist in every world." Wipe my cheeks. "So if you are missing any? You have to find suitable replacements."

*squeeze*

A hand finds mine. Turn right to see the good doctor is holding it. The anger, the disgust, is no longer written on her face. Still some fear there. But there is now sympathy too.

"How long?" She asks.

Answer with a sad smile.

"Took decades, the first time." Snicker. "Had grandkids by the time it was ready. Years the second time. No kids." Interlace our fingers and gaze into her eyes. "Wouldn't risk not being there for them."

Lady in red steeples her fingers.

"How many?"

Turn back to Sam and tilt my head.

"How many?"

She smirks at me.

"Wives."

Nope. No way. That question practically screams, "it's a trap!"

"Apologies, my lady." Bow slightly in my seat. "A gentleman doesn't kiss and tell."

Yeah, toots, you go ahead and do the pouty mcpoutyface. Learned long ago not to give women extra reasons to hate me. As a man, I provide enough ammo just by breathing. 

Quartermaster has another question. 

"Why didn't you bring anything with you?"

I raise an eyebrow.

"The ritual to move a physical form between worlds is a lot harder." Hand over heart. "I just transmigrated my soul."

Caroline speaks as her fingers probe my hand.

"Then… whose body is-"

"Someone who died fighting bandits."

Jesus, what is up with all these questions? Granted everyone kind of knew what I was in medieval world. And most didn't give a shit in cyber land. So this is, uh, different.

Senior citizen clears his throat to get my attention. Hehe, there's pen and paper in his hands. The mad scientist is taking notes.

"Who does that body belong to?"

Tilt my head.

"Me, the previous spirit had already left." See the confusion. "You may not realize it but a world can have millions, billions even trillions of sapient natives." Geezer's eyes are doing the calculations. "With populations that large? People are dying all the time. Of all ages. Intentionally and by accident."

Catch the question no one wants to ask so I continue. 

"As part of the equation you include general parameters. Things like gender and age." Just in case something goes wrong. I was aiming for my own body on my own world after all. "Nor does it have to happen at that exact moment." Shrug. "There can be some lag."

The doctor is next.

"However, the body is already dead. Correct?"

As a test I make the dagger in the right hand she's holding disappear into my personal storage dimension. And it works. Several realize what that means and start looking nervous. 

"Yes, but a new spirit arriving brings a lot of energy with it. This triggers a partial reset of the vessel. Bringing the body back to life and healing some of its injuries."

She's still concerned. 

"What about loved ones?" Is this a personal question? "Would they not recognize you?"

A tough question. Better fib a little. No way in hell am I revealing my nanos.

"That energy can also cause physical changes." Motion to myself. "I do not look, act, speak or even smell like the former occupant."

A snort from El Capitan. 

Take a millisecond to check with my mini me's.

How are those prototypes coming?

3D holograms float in my mindscape while multitudes shrug their itty bitty shoulders.

Yeah, you can't get to the storage rings right now. Ugh. Just focus when we are clear again. Could really use them right now.

The british boulder bellows.

"You speak as if these bodies are not our own." Scoffs. "Do you think us only serfs?"

"Of course." Point at him. "You are far more than just crude flesh and bone, Wendel. And when your time comes, most of you will move on."

Samantha squints at me.

"Most?"

Oops.

"Ah, my apologies. I forget there are so many different religions. Each with their own beliefs on life, death and what comes after." Nod. "I'll stop before I offend."

Mad scientist looks up from his notes.

"How old are you?"

Was about to spout a smart ass answer when I pause. How old am I? Not actually sure anymore. Especially with that limbo period after Ipra.

Hmm…

"You know? I'm not entirely sure. Had quit counting long ago and there's a grey area or two."

Feel Caroline’s toes return to rub my right foot. Hey, maybe I will get lucky tonight!

The Twain twin continues.

"House Heaton wishes to hire you."

Nod at him.

"Yeah, figured that." I lean back. Why else go through the trouble of saving me? "What for?"

He crosses his hands on the table

"We request your assistance with the dungeon."

Which gets Rocky riled up again.

"Lord Heaton, Mr Barton is not covered under the contract."

Geezer side eyes the Discovery’s captain.

"Do you think he needs your protection, Mr Wyverstone?"

Starting to suspect I'll need more protection from the crew, than from the dungeon. Decide to interrupt their staring contest.

"I have experience with dungeons but I'm no expert. Why me?"

Senior citizen pontificates.

"As you know, dungeons are tests. Challenges for our world's defenders." Uh… What? "So some have particular fields they are intended for." Really have no idea what you're talking about. "Careful study of the readings taken initially have, at last, revealed this dungeon's type." He pauses for dramatic effect. "Arcane."

Groans from several. But the civvie manages to complain first.

"Your lordship, Arcane dungeons are the rarest and most unpredictable." Taps fingers on table. "Why was this information not included in the negotiations?"

Lady in red answers.

"The class was not determined until after the agreements were concluded." Her eyes are steady. Face impassive. "And you know the possibility is in the document."

Carol's squeeze has turned into more of a death grip. Better ask her about this later. If I haven't fucked her into unconsciousness by then.

"And my pay?"

Marky Mark and the Geezer Bunch smiles through his big white mustache and beard.

"Enough gold to open and equip a shop in the commercial district of the capital." Big grin. "As well as the support and protection of House Heaton."

Hmm… Not sold. Might be better to bail as soon as-

*ding*

Personal quest, "A New Home," updated

Let me guess. … Yep, now lists the Anglean capital. Ugh. Don't like feeling forced. But it's probably the best choice, for now.

"Fine."

Samantha nods.

"Very good. The documents will be brought to your cabin later for your signature." She pans across the rest of the table's occupants. "Ladies and gentlemen, we have a long day tomorrow so I will retire now. Thank you for your company."

We all stand while Sam gets up and elegantly walks out with Miss Jenny and Geezer in tow. Damn, both those babies got back.

Servants swoop in, picking up the dishes and glasses. Disappearing with them through the door. Soon all that's left is me and seven people who suspect I might just be the isekai anti-christ.

Hooray…

*ahem*

Of course it's Rocky who speaks first. And those are not friendly eyes.

"Mr Barton, I do not know what your intentions are." He's practically growling. "But do be aware that word travels fast on a ship. So the crew is likely already aware of what you are."

Yeah, intimidation is not a good tactic to try with me.

"Well, hopefully, House Heaton hired enough crew so the death of anyone stupid won't be an issue."

Red coat replies.

"Tat be a threat, mate?"

I meet his glare.

"No, mate, that's a fucking promise." Several dirty looks. "I'm trying to play nice. Trying not to stir shit." Toothy grin. "But test me? And I'll gun you down first."

A sigh from the cigar chewer.

"I will pass on a warning to the engineers. You should have no trouble from us." Rubs his nose. "But there are some devout on board. And they take the church's claim that otherworlders are the spawns of evil seriously." Puts the cigar back in his mouth. "Very seriously."

The dungeoneer is next.

"A new dungeon out beyond the frontier was dangerous enough." Touches three points on his chest. "But it's also Arcane and there's an outworlder coming along? Can we get any unluckier?"

"Enough." El Capitan grumbles. "We have been hired to do a job so we will do it." Glares around the table. "Warn your departments. The last thing we need is the crew turning on each other." His gaze settles on me. "And you… Try to stay in your cabin until we arrive. That will minimize the opportunities for someone to do something stupid."

Waits for the other six to Nod before continuing.

"Then return to your stations. And thank you." A genuine grin. "We will get through this and come out the other side rich and famous."

Most laugh as they get up and noticeably avoid making eye contact with me. Within a minute or two only Caroline and I are left. Standing and facing each other.

Hesitantly she raises her head and our eyes meet.

"I…" She whispers. "I am sorry."

*tap* *tap* *tap* *clack*

Her clicking shoes and the shutting door mark her flight from the room. And from me. I stare stupidly at where she was just standing as I realize both of my shoes are still under the table.

Well… shit.

10