Dante’s Prologue
476 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thomas stands outside the store, contemplating what brought him here today. He still remembers all those kids in high school in fishnets and eyeliner. He had always envied the goth kids in his school. They could dress however they wanted. Their outfits were always so unique and cool. Lord knows how boring regular male clothes were. No one would willingly choose to be cursed to be a male, but goth kids can wear as many girls’ clothes as they want and people allow it. One time a kid in a grade above him, Joshua, even wore a pleated skirt to school. Thomas would kill in order to be able to pull off a skirt like he did. Now that he was in Uni in a new state, he had the chance to as well. His parents in high school often insisted he wear jeans and polos. The polos were stiff and scratchy. The collars always felt like they were strangling him. He tended to wear hoodies a lot, just to hide his parents’ embarrassing fashion choices, of course. Besides, he much prefered looking like an amorphous blob. Finally having some independence, though, Thomas could reinvent himself. Be the goth he had always dreamed of being. Perhaps he could even change his name! He never did much like the name Thomas. Thomas Aquinas is such a normie name. His fellow classmates wouldn't have to know he was an anime-obsessed nerd whose parents had tried to force into seminary school. Goth kids can still like anime, right? He hadn't mentioned to them that the main reason he didn't want to go was because he's agnostic.

 

And so he stands here, imagining this new life he could have in the palm of his hands, a few feet away from him. He has done his research to make sure they have what he wants. He doesn't know this small college town very well. He only recently moved here, but he is very excited that there are so many cool local stores like this. Sir Luke's Enchanted Jewelers claimed to have all the best alternative jewelry. Thomas wants this so badly, so why does fear boil in his chest and lock his knees in place? He can't quite explain it, but he feels as if entering the store would be admitting something about himself, some deep dark secret he's been repressing his whole life. As if there were some infernal truth that lived in the deepest, darkest parts of his heart. If he never did this now, though, he knew he might never again have the courage to cross that line. And so he enters the dark gloomy store that looms in front of him.

 

In every direction there are chains and spikes and pentagrams and crosses of Saint Peter. Thomas swears there is more religious imagery here than in the church of his father, the pastor. There are earrings and cuffs and staves and lace and leather and ribbons, but what really catches his attention are the chokers in the back. Perhaps it's a form of self-flagellation, but he much enjoys the tight sensation of chokers, plus they cover his unsightly sharp Adam’s apple. It seems truly cruel to him that the god he does not believe in cursed all unfortunate enough to be men to wear the original sin on their neck. Had he not made men ugly enough? Thomas tries his hardest to calm his nerves and seem inconspicuous while browsing the large variety of chokers, when suddenly he spots it. Mysteriously separated from the rest, atop a high shelf is a pink leather collar with a little brass bell and a loop for a leash. It looks exactly like all the collars catgirls tend to wear in anime. The thought of looking like a cute catgirl gives him warm fuzzy feelings he can’t quite dismiss. A part of him imagines becoming a witchy goth and learning how to make catgirls real. Nothing would be cooler than being an adorable catgirl. Just because of the arcane magicks it would require, of course. Maybe a pink collar wouldn’t be the most dark brooding cool goth he was hoping for; soft goth is always an option, right?

Behind the counter is a slim toned man who looks to be about his age. He has short blonde hair and a scraggly beard. His hair is much shorter than Thomas’ shoulder-length black hair, but he envies the blonde man’s natural curves and thick toned thighs. The first time ever, perhaps, that he’s envied a man and not another woman. He does not envy his facial hair in the slightest, though. He has a small metal name plate that reads "Luke". Thomas places the collar carefully down on the counter, hoping to God the clerk will not mention how effeminate a choice it is. God, apparently, is not merciful.

“That’s such a cute collar, is it for a special girl in your life?” the clerk asks.

Aha, the foolish normie has fallen into my dastardly trap!

“Ugh, fucking normie. Don’t you know goth transcends gender?” Thomas says, as practiced, rolling his eyes.

“Ah, my mistake. I’m certain you would love nothing more than to transcend gender, wouldn’t you?”

 

“Uhhh…”

“You are aware this is enchanted jewelry right?” the man asks, catching Thomas off guard.

 

“What? I figured that was like a marketing gimmick?”

“Oh, not at all, we are very legitimate,” he says, with a dastardly smirk, showing Thomas the arcane symbols on the inside of the collar.

“Cool! What does it do?”

 

“Come the full moon tonight, upon wearing it you will be given the body you desire the most. So do be careful not to wear it unless you are certain.”

“I guess that means it costs extra, huh?” Thomas asks, expecting that to be the catch.

 

“Only because it’s real genuine leather. That’ll be $42.59.”

Damn, that’s about all my jewelry budget, but it’s a good deal if true. Thomas places the money on the counter and signs the receipt.

“Do you have any pets?” the clerk asks, catching Thomas off guard.

“Oh, uh no?”

“May Bastet bless you. Give this to your cat, and tell her I said she’s a very good girl, Thomas,” the clerk named Luke says, handing him a toy mouse filled with catnip.

 

Thomas cringes at the mention of his name and leaves the store, confused but giddy, putting on the cute pink collar as he leaves the store.

 

“Oh, how I love playing with lost little lambs who know not who they are,” the man formerly known as Luke chuckles.

By the time the woman formerly known as Thomas rounds the corner, unbeknownst to her, the store formerly known as Sir Luke’s Enchanted Jewelers will never again exist on that or any other street.

15