judgement
51 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On the morning of the 30th day since my death, Sachiv Rashmi and I reached the end of our journey to Yama. Half of the day was spent leaving the dead forest, and venturing further south. We reached the Vetarani river by noon. Unlike the Narmada polluted impure amd muddy, or the Pengenga near empty and dry, the Vetarani was red as blood, and filled with animals and lost souls crossed the Vetarani in troves. The holiest of men held the tails of the cattle which would guide them through the river. Me and Rashmi dismounted our gharial friend expecting this to be a journey he could not take with us, but as I entered the river so did he. Many souls unguided by cattle were carried downstream by the fast heavy waters, and the further into the river we went the stronger the currents grew. Like the other rivers I had crossed, I was once more surrounded by snakes and crocodiles. Holding onto Sachiv, we hit the middle of the stream, when a large wave crassed into us knocking me and Rashmi tumbling over Sachiv downstream. Before I knew it I was in the deepest part of the river being carried quickly away. I reached for the hands of the holy men, or tried to geab hold of the cattle, but they all steered away from me and my daughter.

When all seemed lost, and I thought me and Rashmi would drown in this spirit river, we were suddenly caught on what felt like several large sharp rocks. For some reason a small group of crocodiles had caught us in their open maws. Sachiv swam downstream towards us, and a small fleet of reptiles gently guided us to the other side of the river. Rashmi fortunately was no more unbreathing than she had always been, but I was completely baffled by the unasked for aid of such creatures. On the other side of the river stood Yama's great palace Kalichi. I gestured for Sachiv to join me, but he shook his head. I hugged Sachiv and his friends to thank them for their help. The crows had long before crossed the river and entered the temple, so with Sachiv taking his leave me and Rashmi were truly alone for the first time since we departed from home. As we walked towards the temple entrance We saw two large black dogs the size of men with four eyes each guarding the gate.

One of the dogs lazily stood from her seated position and loomed mightily over me. I feared then would be the end of our journey. Instead the gate opened behind her and she turned to pass through the entrance. She turned and gave a low growl when she noticed we hadnt followed. I had to unstick my feet from the ground to follow her. We passed through two vividly decorated doors, and the dog stopped her tour with us in front of a spiral staircase. at the top of the staircase was another hallway and another ornate gate. Before it sat a dark skinned woman wrapped in robes and a pearl necklace. Her hair was up in a bun and as we approached her she stood. Her hand paused at the door and she gave us a solemn sympathetic look that is to this day burned into my brain. Beyond the door there sat two men. Chitragupta, a stout deva with a beautiful beard wrapped in purple silk and golden pants sat in a wide green chair writing dutifully in a long scroll. At an angle to Chitragupta's round chair was one of sharp angles and blood red crushed velvet fabric. In it sat the large annoyed green skinned god Yama, with their shining golden crown. A mace leaned against their chair, and in Yama's hand was held a long rope with a noose. They rested their head against one of their arms. The robes were the same color of the seat, but they seemed to spill as if two rivers of blood trickled down from his shoulders. In Yama's lap was a large scroll of their own.

"Well, if it isn't the disloyal mugharribun."

"Sorry lord yama, excuse me if I may. The what?"

"As if you didn't know, mortal. Your lover Nishith certainly did. You come to plead for the abomination that was your daughter, yes?"

"Abomin– Nishith was no lover. I was coerced, and I will not stand here as you insult my child!"

"You will. You must."

Yama gestured towards the door, and I turned to see Hemamila close the gate behind us. Against the wall, as I turned, I also noticed for the first time the third person in the room. From their golden crown sprouted two curled horns. From their mouth, beneath the handlebar mustache, sprouted two small tusks. Naraka's arms were crossed, blade tucked in their belt. Their robes were green and yellow and draped around their neck was their living snake staff.

"Narakasura here, has a claim to harvest your soul for as long as you stay here in Patala. You are sentenced to 30 years here with him due to your karmic balance. The soul of your child Rashmi will be reborn into another life, and when you finish your sentence under Naraka's servitude you will too."

"Reborn? Is there any chance I will get to see Rashmi or Shishin again in my next life? Please merciful Yama, I beg of you."

 "Oh, you beg now do you? You are not fated to have children mugharribun. It was only through trickery that you pulled Aarack off his natural path, and you are not fated to have another chance at motherhood again."

"Trickery? No, I loved Aarack. I loved Shishin."

"But not enough to sate your jealousy, hm?"

"Your decision is final the fair and just Chitragupta has decided. Now take your leave Naraka will lead you."

"If your judgment is for me to never again see my children, then I won't accept it." I had said, and I stormed off towards the gate.

Yama did not stop me, but he didn't have to, for as I ran towards the door Naraka grabbed me in one arm lifting me like I was weightless. Naraka tossed me over their shoulder, and though I held tight with all my might, Rashmi was plucked from me and handed to Chitragupta. I was pulled from the palace kicking and screaming for my child, but unfortunately I never again saw my darling Rashmi.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Wait." I say, interrupting Dakini's tale.

"What is it? I am so very near the end of my story. Will you not let an old woman speak?"

"Sorry, sorry. But if they took Rashmi then who's that?" I ask, pointing to the small stillborn child cradled in the smooth water eroded rock on the cave floor.

"You will know, by the end of my tale, that the child is who I am to repent for."


It doesn't seem like anyone is really reading this story. That's okay. I have goals for this story, and I hope I'm able to finish it. My late grandma was a hare krishna. She passed around the start of covid for unrelated reasons. I like to believe that unlike Dakini, my grandma got a fair judgement, and is out there somewhere right now reincarnated as a bird. It's what she would have wanted. I miss you niecey grams. I hope you'll be forever free.

1