Chapter 7: Birthday Night
1.5k 8 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When the moon had finally risen to its highest point in the dark sky, the Manor suddenly gave off a beautiful scene, even with its giant dark garden surrounding the entire territory.

 

Everything was illuminated to give a fantasy-like image; the plants seemed to sparkle as they shone with the moonlit dew, despite it being evening, and yet it gave a look as though it were natural. like it was supposed to be mesmerizing, even though plants shouldn't be so dazzling at night.

 

And yes, while the plants here were full of poisonous thorns and dangerous man-eating flowers, no demon or other creature could deny their exquisite beauty.

 

A place full of thorns and danger gave the perfect impression of the Thorn Family as a whole.

 

Though, if you asked me, I would say its looks were deceiving as hell.

 

'That's what I thought when I first saw such a sight.'

 

Looking around the big-ass giant garden as if it were a maze, I sighed.

 

'My description of this place might be biased... Don't get me wrong. It's beautiful and dangerous, but those only apply to a non-Thorn individual.'

 

 

Trying to remember the Thorn family description, I played the narrator's voice in my head.

 

Since it was my favorite game, I remembered every voice line of each character with significant importance.

 

And the one who was introducing the Thorn family sounded quite nice too; I dare say I even fantasized about said voice at the beginning, and I wasn't the only one who thought of that.

 

 

Every player, male or female, began to fantasize on who this character was; it was actually so frequently discussed on the internet that it actually caused that particular question to be so trending on multiple social media sites and apps.

 

Full of speculation and theories when the game was first introduced.

 

So the people who worked on the game had no choice but to confirm our ever growing thirst for this mysterious character, but to my great despair, inducing disappointment yet wonderful hope, the creator revealed that 'she' wasn't in the game (breaking many people's expectations and hearts that day). And trolled the whole internet when the creator teased a FREAKIN' sequel that guaranteed the mysterious character's appearance.

 

Ahh.... That news was the most memorable one, for my sanity and heart. Though it's sad now since I was transported here before, I could feel the game in my hands..

 

 

Sigh, such a pity.

 

 

But nevermind my melancholy about my past; let's get to the present and see why I'm thinking of the gardens and why I'm here, patting said man-eating flower even though the supposed party is inside the Manor.

 

 

 

Well...  Let's just say that the time has finally come.

 

 

 

My birthday... Hooray!

 

 

 

Hooray.......

 

 

 

 

*Cough! *Cough Okay, let me tell you how it had gone downhill so quickly.

 

 

And before that, I just wanted to point out, for my bruised ego, that it was this demon culture's fault. Not me. Never me.

 

 

Why even accuse a NEET!

 

 

Okay... Let's get started on the details..

 

 

Well, it all started when the party, err.. started.

 

 

 

And what a damn start it was.

 

 

 

For clarification, the plot did not—I kid you not—follow any basic common sense.

 

 

 

You think that chaos should start at the end and be on a cliffhanger or even a scene with a false sense of security until shit hits the fan. Good God, at least give me time to prepare! — But nope, shit started when the party first began.

 

 

Unlike what I thought, there were no actual people who came or demons that are considered to be nobles.

 

 

but only one person.

 

 

 

And that was the old, terrifying hag.

 

 

 

 

 

My wicked(DEVIL) grandmother.

 

 

Sighing, I let my gaze wonder up above only to see a shooting star flashing.

Oh how I wish to forget my memories right about now.

 

 

 

=====☆゚⁠.⁠*⁠・⁠。゚----゚⁠.⁠*⁠・⁠。゚=====

 

 

At the time, I really didn't understand anything.

 

 

A minute before my party started, we were all standing (Having pretty clothes and whatnot, fantasy or European style, and all that. I don't really care what.. dress I wear. And honestly? I'm embarrassed at how frilly it is. So I won't describe my looks.) While waiting in the entrance, at the grand hall, there was a long table, brimming with delicious high-class food— *BANG!

 

Abruptly, someone, a tall, dark lady, barged in unannounced through the heavy white doors in the Thorn Manor.

With her heavy clicks caused by her heels, gracefully gliding across the stairs like she owned the place, it was really confusing to witness. But seeing how my oh-so-beloved father suddenly flinches violently at said person was even more so.

 

I kinda reluctantly got the memo about this lady's identity.

 

 

But what's more confusing was why the servants suddenly attempted to close the door, but not before scurrying away as if they were fleeing from a disaster, before they fully closed the doors with a loud *bang! from the other side. Completely sealing the doors of the entrance.

 

 

With the indication of the door being close, then why in the hell would the servant set up so many silverware and decorations when it is only for one person?

 

 

And seconds after that thought formed. The woman, with sleek black hair and red-blooded intimidating eyes, who wore a black cloak covering all of her body with red tinting the end, suddenly burst out—

 

 

 

 

multiple hordes of hungry bats from her cloak.

 

 

 

The hordes of bats (with the same red eyes to her grandmother and messy fur. That actually looks like little devil spawns with how unnatural the bats looked, with two horns prodding at its head and a razor sharp tail like a scorpion in it's rear), and that should've not fit on that measly cloak.

 

All went at the ceiling, some swooping down at the food the servants prepared, before flying to the top, some dipping at the blood fountain to drink, heck, even a minority of the bats bit some servants (who stayed)—wasn't even fazed!?

 

But even with the chaos ensuing in the air, as Melissa gaped at the scene and yours truly tried to stifle a cry as my tiny form was held by the impassive Lily, the lady who was surely my grandmother took a step forward with an emotionless look.

 

Ferun at our side didn't move to greet his mother like any gentleman would, but instead, this man stilled in his spot like a kid who did something wrong. His eyes were slightly darting from place to place— which actually grew in intensity when dear grandmother inches closer by.

 

I could even see him sweating bullets!

 

So when the lady (who I have not know the name of), whose looks don't even compare with someone who's supposed to be considered a grandmother since this lady was drop dead gorgeous.

 

Finally closing the distance, she gave all of us this.. stare.

 

Her red eyes glowed before locking on mine.

 

Her emotionless face finally broke though, as her brows slowly knitted together.

 

"So this must be Rosalina." She mumbled, but loud enough for everyone to hear. Looking at me with intense eyes as Ferun stood up straight.

 

"Yes, she is my lovely daughter, m-mother.." Ferun quickly answered with a forceful smile. But the lady didn't bat an eye to her son's talking, but instead gave the man a glare that instantly wilted his stature.

 

"Ferun, do you think I'm ignorant of my own kin's identity?"

 

"No.. I just assume that—"

 

"Ferun." Her words suddenly turned icy, and everyone in the room felt a chill. "Did I not tell you how assuming things without consideration is a bad habit that you should have already abandoned?"

 

"..." Seeing Ferun stay silent made not only me, but also Melissa to blink stupidly at how the great and prideful Thorn had turned meek against his own mother.

 

But then, seeing those intense eyes suddenly directed at both of them—both the mother-daughter pair—shuddered.

 

"Hm.. nevermind. So you must be the human who had trapped my Ferun to your own goal, Melissa, was it?" Then the lady moved forward to my mother. Melissa, somehow feeling intense danger, only nodded mutely.

 

"Heh." She sneered. "I admit.  I was surprised at how you dealt with my boy. You must have already known that your parents were selling you to us to buy that cursed contract, huh. How crafty for someone with the race that's considered waste for every creature."

 

Melissa, no matter how much she felt afraid of the lady, visibly bristled at the familiar insult.

 

No doubt thinking about how Ferun learned his insults from his mother.

 

"But I see you're not all waste." Before everyone got a chance to react, Melissa's face was suddenly lifted by a finger at her chin, forcing her to focus on Ferun's mother. As for the Ferun himself, he widens his eyes comically at the side.

 

"If you have the capacity to even trick my son into your clutches at such an incredible pace, I'm truly impressed and I do respect you. But while I say I respect you, that doesn't mean I like you. No, dearie, that's a whole different story entirely." She tutted at my poor mother, who suddenly made a blank face.

 

"So, I'll allow you to call me Cordelia. But do not get ahead of yourself and call me mother. —And Ferun? if you were bestest like that from the one you kept insulting, I'm truly disappointed." Quickly turning to the side to face her son and releasing Melissa's face, Cordelia glared harshly at him. "And that's why I'm here, to make sure your disappointment of an attitude will not rub off on my granddaughter."

 

 

Somehow, the man who was belittled slightly by his own mother, scared of her even, suddenly had a spine.

 

Because Ferun suddenly straightened his back to look at his mother with his own weak glare.

 

"I will not allow it. Mother, please reconsider. Even if my little Thorn is smart, I still think it's too early." Ferun stated, trying so hard to look calm as he could see his mother raising an eyebrow at his attempt.

 

"I have sent you multiple letters, yet you have not replied officially to every single one of them about my decision to postpone such a request. And currently, as the head of the Thorn, if you did not reply officially, then I have the right to reject such actions against my daughter!" He shouted at the end while trembling as my mother, who finally regained her composure, widen her eyes slightly.

 

 

"Ferun..." Melissa blinked a bit at the idiot's way of protecting me.

 

Sure, she knew how much he adores his own flesh and blood, but to see the previous meek man turning slightly back to his old self, to protect their daughter from who knows what ritual, made her feel gratitude.

 

 

"But of course, if you have the desire to train my lovely wife to be a proper duchess, then I have no complaints." My father added quickly while glancing to the side; he couldn't help himself but just add unnecessary things.

 

 

And instantly, that somewhat fond look was formed; Melissa's smile twitches horribly as her eyes darken.

 

 

 

Oh... Woah, that's actually a stupid move, Father.

 

But through all that, Cordelia maintains an impassive look.

 

Raising a hand over her face, my supposed grandmother only blinked slowly. "It seems you are not ignorant of the rules, I see. It is true that I cannot do anything if I don't officially make my request and get the approval of the current head. But Ferun, don't be so naive as to think I would stop just because of some flimsy paper and your weak authority."

 

Then, after staying silent for a minute, Cordelia burst out laughing.

 

"Hahahaha, and for the record, my idiot son, even if I did not make an official statement to you. But if I send my request to the King, if I may add my brother and your uncle, then your objections will become entirely void!" With a simple raise of her hands, the hordes of bats that were previously flying everywhere from the table to the ceiling suddenly turned their eyes at us, or more specifically, at me.

 

"Haaahh.." She sighs ruefully, ignoring my scared look as Lily holds me tightly. "Seeing how stupid you are now as an adult, It is I who am to blame for your personality and attitude. I should've taught you more than strength."

 

But as Cordelia shook her head, I somewhat felt an ominous feeling. "But worry not. I have learned more compared to you. So please do not worry for your daughter's health. Unlike your training.. I'll try to be delicate with her. I'll even lessen the requirements."

 

But even with the explanation, Ferun wasn't convinced. Honestly, it actually made the man on edge while casting a suspicious look at his own dear mother.

 

"Lessen..?" He hesitantly drawled as Cordelia abruptly gave him a small smile that rattled him to the core.

 

And seeing his reaction, I suppose it's gonna be hell.

 

"Yes, it will lessen, so do not worry. I had already prepared her first test. So Horris, if you would? And my lovely pets, as we rehearse now." Then slowly, as my parents widen their eyes, Cordelia snaps her fingers together with a smirk as the bats suddenly shoot towards the both of them, and then, out of nowhere, I suddenly felt someone grabbing me away from my maid.

 

Lily made a startled yelp, and I myself made a gargled sound in surprise.

 

Turning my head, I saw Father's most trusted servant grabbing me from behind along with a smile, if I remember correctly, isn't his name... Horris...

 

But looking at how Ferun was shouting at Horris and the man that had me in his grasp was not really all that reacting to his Lord's orders...

 

 

I kind of think he isn't really employed by my father.

 

 

 

I realized that thought too late as my vision darkened.

 

 

 

 

 

 

=====☆゚⁠.⁠*⁠・⁠。゚----゚⁠.⁠*⁠・⁠。゚=====

 

 

 

 

 

 

—And that's what happened.

 

 

When I woke up, I was already outside. with someone who was not my maid in the middle of the maze-like garden.

 

I continued on with myself in my mind while patting a man-eating plant. Lamenting at how life doesn't make any sense anymore.

 

But sometimes thoughts aren't enough of a distraction, since this Horris has been trying to get my attention for the last 5 minutes.

 

"Young Mistress, please do not ignore me."

 

".."

 

"While this is rather abrupt, given the date of your birth, it's necessary."

 

"..."

 

Seeing me being stubborn, the Se'irim sighed, and he carefully put my squishy body in the ground.

 

"Haaa... Stubborn as your father." He muttered as I sat up a bit, feeling offended at being compared to that oaf, but seeing his halfhearted gaze, I think he isn't all that intimidated.

 

"Listen well, young Lady, for this is important for your future and yours alone." Horris suddenly knelt down and put his hands at my shoulder as I widen my eyes. "Today is your first test. And Lady Cordelia had actually deemed you fit to partake of such training now."

 

"You see, for context's sake. I have kept tabs on your growth for Lady Cordelia, and she seems to be happy to have a prodigy as young as you. But when it comes to your err, rather lackluster motivation, it seems she was a bit troubled." The Se'irim explained with a slight sweatdrop when he saw your hateful expression (As if to convey the message of "How dare you say such unnecessary things!?" across my face alone).

 

"As you are aware... Ferun's attitude is much less desired." He began with a smile. "So she is actually afraid that you might get influence since, no matter how smart you are, you are still and—well, now being that of a one-year-old, a child that could easily be molded, to put it bluntly."

 

 

 

Ahh... Fuccckkkk....

 

 

"But.. it's good that you're smarter— no, more smart—than any prodigies in the Vampire Clan as a whole. But... when I saw you, talking so dumbly like a real mindless brat to your parents and servants, even though I knew you could already speak formal words—I caught you talking to your maid, so I have proof, young Mistress. You just choose not to in exchange for having your life easier, huh?"

 

Double fuck.

 

"And not to mention your usage of being a 'gentleman' frequently. So not only training for your laziness but etiquette as well." Horris finally ended as I sat on the ground, stunned.

 

But before I could get a word out, I suddenly heard a loud, piercing sound.

 

Looking up, I could see familiar monsters like bats bursting out from the entrance of the Manor that's connected with the garden, as a silhouette then stood from the entrance. 

 

 

Cordelia's form was covered by her pets as they flapped their wings and their red eyes glowed, blaring from the dark night.

 

And even though I was far away, from whatever distance I'm at, strangely, I somehow made out what she said.

 

 

Magic really.

 

 

"Rosalina Thorn, let's play my version of a hide-and-seek." My grandmother suggested out of the blue. "I'm sure playing as opposed to training would fit in your case, and do not worry. I promise that if I or my bats catch you, I will not punish you depending on your score." Cordelia proclaimed that, now for some reason, she had a benevolent smile etched on her face in contrast to her previous expression.

 

But I don't seriously trust that smile when her body is literally surrounded by a horde of bats like some Final Boss, so if you ask me, having that kind of smile and seeing this scene with red and black, is actually rather disturbing.

 

 

So I spoke out meekly. Voicing my bafflement towards the satyr. "Huh..? Is she serious." I finally regarded Horris with a horrified look.

 

But the satyr demon only gave me a blank face in turn. "But, of course. Lady Cordelia is known to be brutally honest and serious with her words. As long as you survive long enough, then you'll have no problem."

 

 

"..."

 

If those words were meant as encouragement or reassurance. I will hate you.

 ____________________________

A/N: Sorry for the late update. I'm just busy irl. Being a college student in programming... Assignments for codes are surprisingly a lot.

44 assignments of codes with it being due for a week, with classes, morning to night..


It's hell.


3/20/23

This is how Cordelia looks like with her familiar.


24