Chapter 28: Assemble pt.3
1.3k 1 66
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

2012

Classified Location

S.H.I.E.L.D Helicarrier

A Few Minutes Later

 

(Omniscient POV)

"Maximum performance during take-off, output is stable, and power systems performing at capacity. We are clear." One of the S.H.I.E.L.D technicians calls out as Rogers and Banner follow Natasha into the command brig.

Natasha peels away from them as they stare and observe around in awe. The brig is very busy, as S.H.I.E.L.D personnel moves around the command center, working at stations, and communicating over earpieces.

A tall woman with short dark brunette hair and blue eyes stands at the helm of the brig, watching over the working technicians.

"All engines operating. S.H.I.E.L.D emergency protocol one nine three point six in effect. We're at level, Ma'am." A tech reports to the tall woman.

"Good! Let's vanish." Maria Hill orders.

"Engaging retro reflection panels." The tech announces as the underside of the Helicarrier appears to become coated with mirrors and blends in with its outer surroundings.

As the Helicarrier continues to soar through the sky, Nick Fury walks through the doors of the command brig and receives a salute from Maria and the other Agents.

"All systems are operational and Reflection panels are engaged, Sir," Maria reports as Fury gives her a nod and looks over towards the two men standing off to the side.

"Doctor Banner, thank you for coming." He says as he walks over and extends his hand.

"Um, thanks for asking nicely," Bruce states as he shakes Fury's hand.

"So, um, how long am I staying?" Bruce asks.

Fury eyes the man with an unreadable look.

"Once we get our hands on the Tesseract and secure it, you can go back to your life."

Bruce nods at the man's words, taking them at face value.

"Well, where are you with that?" He asks.

Coulson steps up from the side and answers for Fury.

"We're sweeping every wirelessly accessible camera on the planet. Cell phones, laptops, street cams, if it's connected to a satellite, it's eyes and ears for us."

Bruce takes a moment to think before opening his mouth to speak.

"It's still not gonna be enough to find them in time. You have to narrow your field. How many Spectrometers do you have access to?" He questions.

"How many do you need?" Fury asks.

"Call every lab you know. Tell them to put the Spectrometers on the roof and calibrate them for Gamma rays. I'll rough out a tracking algorithm, basic cluster recognition. At least we could rule out a few places. Do you have somewhere for me to work?"

A smirk comes to Fury's face at Bruce's words and he turns toward Natasha, who was quietly observing the conversation.

"Agent Romanoff, would you show Doctor Banner to his laboratory, please?"

Natasha gives Fury a look before reluctantly walking over to Bruce and leading him and Steve out of the brig area.

As the door closes behind them Fury turns over to Maria.

"Hill, were you the one who told the council that Barton had been compromised?" He questions the woman.

Maria shakes her head.

"No, sir. I usually wait for you to talk to them."

Fury's face takes on a contemplative look as he walks out of the brig and onto the air deck, Maria following behind him.

"Is something wrong, Sir?" Maria asks as Fury looks out at the open sky around them.

"I don't know. I just feel like we're missing something. Something big."

Maria stays quiet for a second and thinks about the director's words.

"Did you inform the council who exactly is on your response team, Sir?"

Fury looks over his shoulder at the woman.

"Didn't have to, they already knew."

**************

S.H.I.E.L.D Helicarrier, Barracks Level

 

(Brock POV)

*Knock*

*Knock*

My eyes move over toward the door of my private quarters as two concise knocks ring out.

Letting out a sigh, I drag myself from the bed of my small room and move over to the door. Opening it to reveal Sitwell's weasely face standing in front of me.

"You were supposed to report to me as soon as you returned." The man said giving me a look that I think was supposed to inspire fear.

I just stared back at Sitwell blankly, prompting the man to say whatever it is he needed to say.

Sitwell gives me a furious look but says nothing as he reaches into his jacket pocket, pulled out a plain black envelope, and handed it to me.

"Next time I give you an order I expect you to follow it. Remember who your betters are." He exclaimed.

At the small man's words and tone, my brow cocked, and a spark of anger formed in my eyes.

Reaching out, I took hold of the letter and in the same motion wrapped my other hand around the worm's flimsy throat.

Pulling him close to me, I glared down at his terrified face.

"W-what are you doing?! I'll have you-"

"Shut the fuck up," I ordered calmly and coldly.

Sweat began to collect atop Sitwell's bald head and his hand shook as he tried uselessly to free himself from my grasp.

"I think you're the one who needs to be reminded. I don't work for you. You're nothing more than a mouthpiece for Secretary Pierce. So watch your tone." I said as I released his neck and pushed him out the doorway.

Sitwell held his throat and took frantic deep breaths.

"Next time just give me the letter and leave," I said and closed the door on the recovering Sitwell.

Moving over to the couch in the middle of the room, I opened the small envelope and studied its contents.

Details of my new assignment were written inside. Seemed like Hydra wanted me to stick close to Fury's new team, watching and waiting for an opportune moment to seize the Tesseract.

Letting out a bored sigh, I grab a lighter from my desk, walk over to the kitchen sink, and burn the letter. Watching until it was nothing more than ash circling the drain.

"No rest for the wicked, I guess," I mutter under my breath as I leave the comfort of my small room and head out to work.

**************

Loki's Underground Lab

 

(Omniscient POV)

"Hey! This is wonderful. The Tesseract has shown me so much. It's- it's more than knowledge, it's truth!" Erik announces as Loki and Clint enter the makeshift lab.

Erik and Clint's eyes glow a bright blue as they are under the mind-controlling power of Loki's scepter.

"I know. It, ah- it touches everyone differently." Loki states while smirking at the crazed scientist.

He turns his head to Clint.

"What did it show you, Agent Barton?" Loki asks.

Clint gives the God a stiff look.

"My next target."

Erik lets a manic chuckle at the archer's words.

"Stick in the mud. You've got no soul. No wonder you chose this..this tomb for us to work in."

At Erik's mocking words Clint just continues to stare stiffly, like a robot.

"This place gives us three levels of lead-lined flooring between S.H.I.E.L.D and that Cube." He states dryly.

Erik ignores him and walks back to the machine he was working on.

"I see why Fury chose you to guard it. You seem adept at your work." Loki says.

Clint doesn't register Loki's praise and just gives him a vacant look.

"You're going to have to contend with Fury sometime...sir. As long as he's in the wind, I can't pin him down. And he'll be putting together a team."

"Are they a threat?" Loki asks, the amused smirk never leaving his face.

"To each other more so than you, sir. But if Fury can get 'em on track, and he might, they could throw some noise our way."

"I want to know everything you can tell me about this team of his. I would... test their mettle."

Clint nods.

"Other than them, there is also the S.T.R.I.K.E team. They shouldn't pose much of a problem, but their Captain is skilled."

Loki laughs at Clint's words, unconcerned.

"You mortals love to overestimate yourself's."

Loki looks over to the glowing scepter in his hand.

"But I'll show you. I'll show them all what it means to be a true God."

**************

A/n: Hey guys, hope you are enjoying my story and as always thanks for reading!

66