Chapter 65: I’d Like To Thank The Academy…
590 3 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

2013

Seoul, South Korea

Mt. Ansan Jarak-gil Trail

A few Minutes Later

(Brock POV)

"So... you and my husband have been secretly trying to stop this...clandestine Hydra organization?" Dr. Cho asked in a hushed whisper, " And the reason you approached me to inform me personally is...you need my help to heal one of your teammates?" She inquired further keeping her voice barely audible while observing my face closely for any sign of deception.

Instead of responding verbally, I nodded slowly, gazing straight back with a mask of sincerity as I studied her reaction to the elaborate lie.

We stared at each other for a long moment, before Dr. Cho spoke again. Her voice sounded strained, holding strong emotions contained beneath layers of controlled composure.

"… Why?... Why didn't he trust us with these secrets?" Confusion filled her words as she tried unsuccessfully to comprehend how the man she loved could live such a dangerous double life.

Was she buying this?

"Phillip didn't want to get you involved in danger unnecessarily," I said gently. "But I believe your medical skills may prove useful in helping bring an end to this menace plaguing Seoul." I paused momentarily forcing emotion to fill my voice. "If you truly love him and wish to save and bring him home....then please, help me!" I declare admirably, like a true hero ready to risk his own safety fighting against formidable odds.

Dr. Cho went quiet for several seconds and I was slightly worried I would have to move to Plan B, which would just get...messy. Before moving ahead, however, she finally responded to my 'heartfelt plea'.

"If you really mean what you say...then yes." Tears began streaming freely down her cheeks as relief spread throughout her body, allowing tension to drain out of her frame. "I will do everything I can to help you. But you must promise me you'll take me to see Phillip when it's safe." She pleaded earnestly wiping tears angrily falling from her cheek with shaky hands trembling uncontrollably.

Momentarily stunned by her emotional acceptance of the dubious tale, I hesitated uncertainly, unsure of how I should respond.

Truthfully... I didn't think she would buy the manipulative lie this easily.

"I promise...when this ordeal ends, I will reunite you two once again," I replied with fake sincerity as a reassuring smile was plastered on my face, patting her shoulder lightly. With renewed strength, she wiped the rest of her tearful display hastily composing herself.

"So...what now? Do we leave immediately? Or wait until morning? You know it's dark outside already. I also have to make arrangements for the kids and work." She remarked anxiously, glancing around nervously at the passing pedestrians.

"Don't worry, we'll leave when you've made all your preparations here first," I assured confidently. "Just call me at this number when you're ready to depart," I add as I hand her a piece of paper.

She pockets it without hesitation. "Thank the heavens you came upon me today! If not..this whole mess probably wouldn't have ended for me. I would have just been left wondering...." Hesitating briefly, she adds. "…if he actually did run away on purpose or something terrible happened to him…." Tear streams continue flowing unabated as she falls apart emotionally, unable to contain the feelings bottled up inside any further.

Sighing inwardly, I reach over and give a gentle squeeze on her shoulders, trying to calm her nerves as best I could given the circumstances.

"Sorry..." Smiling wryly, she apologizes looking embarrassed. "I guess I should be going…before the kids start getting worried." Sniffling repeatedly, she turns around clearing her throat forcefully making attempts to compose herself. "Thanks so much, Mr.- uhm- Brock…"

Saying that Dr.Cho stood up abruptly, heading toward the path leading downhill toward the parking lot. The wind blew briskly carrying cold air mixed in with lingering traces of warm humid summer heat.

As I watch her disappear behind tall trees lining the narrow pathway, my eyes meet hers for only a brief second giving me a glimpse of sadness reflecting brightly in her gaze. As soon as she disappears completely from view, I stand up silently following suit and exit the park shortly afterward.

"She actually bought it...didn't expect that outcome honestly..." I thoughtfully muttered under my breath as I glance upward towards Mt.Ansan Jarak-gil towering majestically above. Its peak is covered in dense green foliage offering breathtaking views overlooking downtown Seoul below, stretching the faraway horizon line and extending miles into the distance.

Looking up at the peak, my mind wandered back to my school days and I couldn't help but be thankful to Hydra for giving me the tools needed to accomplish my goals.

"Guess they have themselves to blame for the monster they've created." I mused quietly as I slowly walk along the trail, a small devilish smile spread lightly across my lips.

************

Washington DC, USA

US Capitol Building

Nightfall

 

(Omniscient POV)

"Gentleman, I'm proud to announce that the first of the new retrofitted Helicarriers for Project: Insight successfully completed its maiden voyage earlier today," Announced Secretary Pierce, proudly seated at the head table surrounded by numerous dignitaries sitting adjacent to him after witnessing firsthand the successful test flight conducted moments ago.

His announcement elicited cheers and applause among many attendees gathered within the hallowed chambers of the upper house of Congress.

Secretary Pierce smiled broadly at the positive reception, receiving nods of approval all around from those present.

"Sir, it's arrived." An attendant standing beside the podium whispered to Pierce, who slightly raised his eyebrows at the sudden news. "It landed safely approximately fifteen minutes ago, escorted by our people, and is waiting for you at the designated location."

Pierce looked relieved hearing the good report, nodding approvingly. Then he turned to address everyone assembled.

"Thank you all very much for your support and for joining us tonight. This day marks another significant milestone in restoring the earth's pride through technological advancement and innovation. It's time we show those invaders how we humans fight back!" Applause erupted filling the room as Secretary Pierce stood proudly, pumping one arm up and waving vigorously at the crowd as he gave them his best political smile.

Looking pleased with himself, he moved forward off of the stage and promptly headed toward the entrance doors. Opening them wide to reveal bright light spilling forth illuminating the chamber interior and casting shadows everywhere except directly facing the doorway itself creating a dramatic lighting effect.

Walking purposefully toward the exit door he stepped outside taking quick steps down the short corridor toward a row of SUV's awaiting his arrival.

"Hurry to the location." Pierce orders as he steps into the vehicle. "I want to lay eyes on this weapon myself."

His driver responds promptly as the small convey pulls off smoothly driving away swiftly and departing the Capital District, en route to the designated coordinates located deep underground somewhere near the Virginia state border.

After traveling some twenty-five kilometers southward in silence and arriving at their destination, Pierce exits the car and immediately starts shaking hands cheerily as he greets the members of staff stationed there who were eagerly anticipating his presence.

After exchanging pleasantries, Pierce enters a large hangar complex accompanied by three security guards escorting him down to a makeshift lab set up specifically for testing purposes complete with dozens of technicians working tirelessly as they assemble various pieces of equipment scattered haphazardly across various worktables that were attached to computer monitors displaying different data readings collected during previous tests.

There were rows of neatly organized shelves containing countless boxes labeled with cryptic codes, apparently indicating specific parts required for completing the project.

A few engineers worked diligently inspecting finished products placed side by side next to them, examining multiple displays mounted high overhead as they monitored progress reports.

But what drew Pierce's eyes the minute he walked into the room was a long metal tube, with the Soviet Union emblem emblazoned prominently on top, that sat upright and vertically aligned parallel to the floor.

"Herr Oberst Pierce, sir, welcome," greeted General Karpov, director of research operations, bowing respectfully as he approaches Pierce.

He extends his arm, motioning toward the elongated metallic cylinder lying in the middle of the laboratory. "May I present to you one of Hydra's greatest achievements yet-" He pauses dramatically. "The Winter Soldier, a highly trained combat specialist capable of operating at the Super Soldier level." His voice trembles suddenly becoming almost reverential sounding as if speaking about sacred relics instead of military hardware. "This soldier was developed exclusively for use in covert missions requiring stealth capabilities, infiltration tactics, and assassinations."

Pierce looks impressed, listening intently and staring at the large tube laid before him.

He moves closer to the container, studying it carefully and noting the scratches and dents visible even though no damage appeared obvious otherwise.

General Karpov continues explaining. "We had a little trouble shipping him here over from the Siberian Facility because of certain complications encountered due to weather conditions."

"Will this affect performance?" Pierce inquires, curiously eyeing the device suspiciously.

Karpov shakes his head adamantly, "No Sir, the scientists have assured me that as soon as they're able to recalibrate the weapon, he should perform perfectly fine."

Moving aside as Pierce inspects more closely, he watches attentively as Pierce examines every inch of the object, scrutinizing details and meticulously checking for imperfections and flaws where applicable.

Finally satisfied with the inspection he turns to look at General Karpov frowning skeptically. "How long?"

"Only a few months, Sir," replies Karpov.

Pierce's face pauses for a moment before he smiles politely. "That sounds fine. Thank you for bringing him here personally, let's hope nothing goes wrong between then and now shall we? Also, tell your scientists not to rush things too quickly okay? Let's ensure perfection rather than speed."

Taken aback by Pierce's composure, Karpov hesitates momentarily, as a sense of dread permeates the atmosphere. Finally responding cautiously. "Yes, Herr Oberst….we won't compromise quality for time." Turning toward the researchers watching nearby, he shouts. "Okay guys, stop messing around! Get cracking right NOW!" Shaking hands frantically signaling urgency. "You heard the man! Get to Work!!" Everyone stops talking amongst each other instantly turning their attention solely focused on finishing whatever task assigned to them.

Standing alone in front of Pierce, who was still wearing the same professional mask covering most of his facial features while remaining silent, Karpov bows deeply in respect. Saying goodbye to Pierce, he leaves and hurriedly rushes to help out anywhere he can.

"Is he needed?" Pierce asks aloud, pointing at Karpoff leaving the area.

"He oversees the entire Winter Soldier Program and was the one who successfully arranged the assassination of the elder Stark several years ago," explains a guard standing beside Pierce.

"hmmm.....very well. Keep a close eye on him, if you see he's incompetent...then get rid of him," Instructs Pierce, tapping fingers against the sides of his chin pensively as he contemplates the options available to him based on the current situation unfolding.

Moving toward a chair positioned strategically opposite the Winter Soldier containment unit. He sits down, crossing his legs and comfortably leaning back as he gazes blankly at the metallic chamber, pondering the next phase of Hydra's grand plan.

"I'm close..." Pierce mutters quietly to himself as he stares ardently at the Cryopod. "I'm so very close..."

************

A/n: Hey guys, I hope you are enjoying the story so far, and as always, thanks for reading!

If you like my work and want to support it, check out Patreon.com/Swarthy, where you can read early chapters or go to Paypal.me/xSwarthyx Every bit helps and is appreciated.

Shoutout to my fellow Travelers on Patreon:

- Iceinferno                              -Bowen Bowen
- Devon Bolwaire                     -Ethan Ratliff
- Cbnr2336                               -emahue64
- Flingpin
- Ibrahim 

28