Chapter 16 **Strange Coincidence**
40 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I don’t know how long it was before we finally finished…Being together…But when I woke up, I was in a carriage, with the wife of the other man, Malory.

It seemed like the middle of the day and Malory was just looking out the window.

I let out a groan and wiped my eyes. I felt a bit uncomfortable, but it was far from being intolerable to bare…If anything, my back was more of a problem than that of being with Jorne for hours…

Luckily, my back was only getting better now, since there were no longer any needles poking it anymore. It really had sucked, all that pain…

 

Malory looked at me and then smiled. Her smile was so innocent, like that of a young child, and I found myself strangely wanting to protect that smile…Then, she was showing me that Theo was with her.

Seeing Theo grovel and ask for pats to a total strange made me shake my head and laugh.

Sitting up and stretching, I heard a voice coming through the window, “Are you alright?”

Malory nodded and patted the bird, almost like she was the most adapting being I had ever met.

“Are you sure, Precious? We don’t have to go back there?”

Ah, that man really loved his wife!

 

“You’re awake!”

Jumping to that particular voice, I looked on the other side and found Jorne riding beside the carriage.

“Stop the carriage!” I heard, then the carriage stopped, only to see moments later Jorne with his hand out to me at the door.

I frowned, asking, “Where are we going?”

He sighed and then said, “Icklish.”

I widened my eyes and when he moved his hand closer towards me, and I took it. Was it that he had given up on taken me back?

Whatever the situation was, I was glad that I was not demanded to return straight away and so, I could take this hand with no worries!

He helped me onto his horse and held me to his chest when he got on and then we were travelling once again.

 

“We need to talk, little brat!”

Little brat?

I tried to turn and face him, but it really was uncomfortable.

Suddenly, I felt a finger trailing over my face, where I had been hurt, then his voice say, “Tell me about this.”

I lowered my face and felt his arm around my waist once again.

“Lady Venus had you, but I was not in the position of just walking into her bed chambers. The reason why you were able to get out of her room was because I was able to get her room to be searched. But tell me…What happened to you in that time…Please, Oliver…”

I held onto the saddle tighter, and said, “She calls it punishment. They kicked me and punched me. They put needles into my back, the…My face, it was to teach me to stay away from what I don’t deserve…”

Again, the hand around my waist tightened for a moment.

 

After a minute or two of silence, Jorne spoke once more, “She will get her karma, believe me on that!”

I leaned into his chest and nodded, still feeling exhausted.

“Tired, love?”

“Mmm.” I muttered, closing my eyes.

Feeling a kiss on my neck, Jorne’s deep voice came through my body, not just my ears, “I finally figured out how to get your position back.”

I opened my eyes in haste and sat away from him, I wasn’t ready!

“No…”

Jorne chuckled and then breathed next to my ear, “We will be seeing your father soon. I suggest you stop worrying about the future and start panicking about the present!”

 

I turned my waist and my head, to look at him and looked at him in surprise, “Really? I’m going to see Father?”

Jorne nodded and looked ahead, then back at me, “The idea is that you’ve been there, with him, while having used a double back at the palace. Then…We are going home after the land is ours.”

I didn’t know what to think of that.

The biggest reason to have left, was because of my father. The other reason to have left was because of how I was treated…

If both reasons suddenly disappear then…

 

Turning back around, to face the front completely, I sighed.

“What’s wrong?” Jorne asked.

I shrugged and lowered my head, “It’s just…I…”

I didn’t know what to say…

Did I really want to go back, even if I am the Princess Consort again?

“You really don’t know how many people are already on your side, do you?”

His question made me frown, “What are you talking about?”

“Your father has quite a number of allies, you know. It was just a secret before, but after we finish here and make this place united and part of Setchra, your father will be a hero!”

Frowning deeper, I shake my head in not understanding what Jorne was saying.

 

Hearing Jorne’s sigh behind me, he said, “Your father is a main factor of uniting the land, Love. Do you not see it? How is it that even my Imperial Father knows of him and had even let you become someone of such importance?”

My…Father? Was he like that? Really?

But how could I see it? Why didn’t I know?

Honestly though, I can’t remember many on my side…

“Love, you are very important, you just don’t see it yet.”

His voice held something more than just those words, yet I didn’t know what it was.

 

“One more thing, Love…” Jorne started, yet stopped, making me feel better that I could think of something else.

I let out a short, “Mmm.”

Yet, Jorne did not speak for quite a number of seconds and so I turned to face him as much as I could on the horses back. “What is it?”

He looked at me then and honestly, I swear he was…Was he showing me a worried look or something like that?

“Tell me.” I asked, completely interested on what made the Prince this way.

“I don’t want to give you the tonic…” Was all he stated, looking in front of him again.

I turned around and blinked…What tonic?

Feeling his arm tighten around me for a moment once again, then his fingers caress a certain area, I stopped.

 

Stiffening up in his arms, I started to panic a bit.

Now?

He…Wanted to…

“You don’t agree?” He asked, and I can already hear his disappointment.

He continued to speak then, rather quickly, like he was embarrassed or something, “Since coming up with the story of you being here with your father and returning as my Princess Consort once again I just…I mean, why not start now? It’s not like anything would happen straight away…”

“Shut up!” I stated, now completely red.

He didn’t have to speak so much!

I knew what he was talking about and I knew about his reasonings…

“Love?”

His hot breath came to my neck and then his mouth went over my ear lobe, making me slightly flinch to how it tickled me.

“…Just shut up!” I nearly whispered, pushing his head away from my neck.

 

How embarrassing!

We were on a horse!

We weren’t by ourselves and we were talking about such matters!

Was it always going to be like this!?

I couldn’t even hold my head up now because it was all red!

Ah, I felt my cheeks with my hands and sighed.

Idiot!

…It really was an interesting idea though…

I hadn’t thought much of it until just a week or so ago, when we had talked about it the first time but…Now it was a bit different.

Plainly stating that he didn’t want me to take the tonic clearly meant…Well, I guess I should start getting tips off the pregnant girl…

 

…Would it be nice? Having a family?

I suppose it would be different though, because it was a royal family.

It wouldn’t be like all the other commoners…

If I were to have children with Jorne, they would no doubt be kept in the palace for the beginning of their lives.

Will they be alright there?

I already had so much trouble as it was…

“Better protect…” I suddenly said.

Yes…If we were going to do this, he better do a better job than protecting me!

“Of course! I will do better, Oliver! I will protect you and our children to the best of my cabapil…”

 

Jorne was suddenly interrupted by the new man, the husband of Malory, “Do you see it, Your Highness?”

I turned to see that other man coming up beside us and looked to where he was pointing.

In the distance, there was a huge forest that rose up quite high.

Letting out a small cough, clearing his throat, Jorne then spoke, “That’s the forest? Mount Prime?”

“Yes.”

“Halt! Stop here!” Jorne yelled out and then he got off the horse, helping me afterwards.

He kissed me on the forehead, and then said, “Stay with the General’s wife, Love. We won’t move on until we know that Mount Prime is ours.”

 

Oh…So I’m not invited. I get it, I get it!

Turning, I saw that Malory was giving her man hugs through the window and then she sat back without a care in the world.

“Neil!” ‘The General’ yelled in a particular direction.

“Don’t worry Kael, I know.”

Seeing the man nod and then walk towards Jorne, I turned back to Malory and entered the carriage. I guess it was just a man’s world at the moment!

 

 

“This General you speak of, how sure are you that he will help us?” Jorne asked Kael.

“He isn’t like many others that join the army, Your Highness, he does care about other things.” Kael stated. “Nonetheless, if he is not the one on top of the hill, then this plan will not work!”

Jorne sighed, “I have already asked Wedge to report back upon word of your General Tolley. So, that leaves us with three options.”

“Understood, and which one are you more inclined to take?” Kael asked, already knowing the options the other was speaking of.

“…Just having the army here is enough for now. Finding out who is occupying the hill will be to our advantage.” Jorne stated, not really liking that he had no prior notice upon which General was on the hill.

 

It was common, that a General would fight to the end for their country, so Jorne could not really get mad at the little information he had but…If he had known, they could move now, and not have to wait to hear from Wedge.

“This ‘Wedge’…How long has he been in Icklish?” Kael asked from hooded eyes.

“Long enough to do what his name suggests.” Jorne stated.

He found it uncanny upon how well he not only liked this General before him but how much he already trusted him. Of course, it helped knowing that this General Wilton had left his country already, but still, trusting another so easily…Especially one that wasn’t dumb!

 

“Makes a lot of sense.” Came a mumble from General Wilton, making Jorne turn to him and frown.

“What does?”

“It’s her father isn’t it? This ‘Wedge’.” Kael asked.

Jorne let out a small chuckle, “Nothing goes by you, General.”

“With such a person being in her position of Crowned Princess, first wife to the Crown Prince, how could I not figure it out?” Kael stated, having a drink.

“You’re liking this aren’t you!” Jorne smiled, having a drink himself.

“I haven’t fought for a while.” Was all Kael stated.

“Yes, I see you started your family.” Jorne said.

Kael looked at Jorne, again with hooded eyes, “My family indeed!”

 

In that moment, someone yelled out, “Your Highness, a message from Wedge has arrived!”

“Bring it to me!” Jorne stated, standing up and closing the rest of the distance to the one walking towards him.

Opening it up, Jorne saw General Wilton leaning in and so he showed the contents to him as well.

“We have our answer!” Kael stated quickly.

“Seems like our biggest fight will be this hill.” Jorne stated, putting the message down, already in thought.

Kael looked at Jorne, and then said, “It is just going back to your original plan, is all.”

Jorne nodded, “More like your original plan!”

 

General Wilton smirked and drink one more cup and started to walk towards the exit of the tent, “Tonight?”

“Tonight!” Jorne yelled out, but Kael had already left.

He had to get the army ready to attack the hill tonight! Organizing the four different groups shouldn’t take too much time…Oh, he had to let Wedge know too! Wedge will have to wait to do our final actions towards taking Icklish as this hill will have to be done first.

Then…He could go see his wife!

Smiling, Jorne had suddenly felt extremely glad that she had come with him!

It was nice that she was so close!

At any other time, he could be gone for a couple of months and not see her but now, she was right here and…Well, it was nice! She’ll be able to see him in action!

Actually, Jorne chuckled then, she won’t because it’ll be dark…

 

 

With nothing to do, the time went by slowly.

Malory didn’t talk much and spent most of her time with Theo.

Neil stood close by, but gave us privacy, I’m guessing he was more of a bodyguard then a servant…

I knew I should ask Malory more about pregnancy, to maybe help get myself ready but…Oh, it was sort of hard…

I mean, as it was, she rarely talked and well…I hardly knew her too.

She was…Quite a small, strange, little…Girl…

I’d like to say woman but honestly, I think she was younger than me!

 

As the sun was starting to set, slowly disappearing into the horizon, Malory started playing with a dagger.

Watching her for a moment, as she attempted to do some type of routine, I finally got the courage to speak, “Do you know how to use daggers?”

She nodded at me and Neil then came closer, “She was in the army.”

“…Wha!!” Popped out of my mouth.

A…Girl in the army!?

“Her stepbrother didn’t want to go and so they sent Malory in, basically making her become a man.”

“That’s really sad!” I spouted out, not caring if it hurt anyone’s feelings.

“I agree. I went with her to keep the secret and one person…” Neil was interrupted by Malory, who had stopped and stared at Neil.

I saw them have some type of connection and nodded, I guess it isn’t a good conversation to have.

 

“Here is your dinner.”

Turning to the person presenting our food, I smiled, seeing them familiar, “Hey Jo!”

“Oliver?”

Walking up to them, I took the food and smiled again, “Thanks!”

This man had come from the end of the army and she had helped him present the food…Actually, now that she thought about it, the army had Jorne it from the start…What a coincidence!

What would I have done if I had known!? Would I have not stayed with them?

“I was told that the Princess Consort would be here…” The man said, looking at Malory and scratching his head in confusion.

I turned to Malory, then back to him, “That’s Malory, I’m the Princess Consort…”

What…Why did I just completely accept that?

I went silent…Yet, so did everyone else.

 

The man’s eyes looked like there were just about to pop out of his head!

“Your…Your Highness!”

“Hush, quiet! Just…” I didn’t know what to do. I wasn’t in the palace and I wasn’t in formal attire, so why can’t he just let it rest!

But no…Shortly afterwards, he was on his knees, ready to bow…Or Kowtow…

“Get up, you silly fool!” I said in frustration.

“Why didn’t you tell us, Your Highness?”

I shrugged, “I wasn’t wanting to be known as the Princess Consort at the time.”

“Forgive us! Please forgive us!”

Argh!

 

I turned around…To see someone that could help!

“Neil, is it?”

The person nodded, and I continued, “Get him on his way before he hurts himself!”

“Of…Of course…Your Highness!” Neil quickly did what was told of him and I shook my head.

What a pain!

 

 

Malory and I ate in piece, Neil eating while standing.

I had offered him to sit with us, but he shook his head.

Whatever!

After we finished, it was then dark and Jorne still had not come back…Or was he coming back at all?

Should I expect not to see him for a while?

I didn’t really think of that but now that I did, it deflated me a bit.

“I should have known that you were the Princess Consort just because of how we were introduced.” Neil stated.

I looked up at him and took a deep breath. “It’s just a status…”

Neil smirked, “The future Queen is not a status, Your Highness!”

I looked at him, smirking myself, “I held no power and was trampled upon in the palace. I nearly died twice, how is that a future Queen?”

The smirk disappeared off his face and he then looked at me with interest, “It seems you have much of a story like Malory does.”

 

I nodded my head at Neil, but only seconds later, I was already bored.

“I heard that a Lady Venus was supposed to marry the Second Prince, has that happened?”

Feeling eyes on me, I look at both Malory and Neil, seeing them both interested in my answer, “Well, it has, but in my eyes, she’ll probably die or something within no time.”

Neil frowned, “Killing a wife of a Prince is a scary idea.”

I narrowed my eyes at him and nodded, “It is indeed. That’s why she’ll probably die. Guess who she tried to kill?”

Widened eyes told me that he found out the answer and I laughed, “Don’t speak of this to anyone but, I was supposed to be here in Icklish and not at the palace at the time.”

 

“So…You are lying?” Neil asked, obviously he didn’t understand.

I nodded, “For something to do, I would change into a maid and one day, as I was a maid and my maid was me, she died. I was then stuck with a maid status all the time. The idea of me being here, in Icklish, is a way that they can return my status back without too many questions.”

Neil frowned and shook his head, “It sounds complicated.”

I nodded, “Yes, it is.”

“…Oh, now I understand how they should have treated you then, if you were a maid…When Malory was a slave, Venus would get her into trouble for no reason.” Neil stated, understanding at least one thing a bit more.

I frowned and looked at Malory, “You know the vixen?”

1