Chapter 123
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thus, Daphne dials Stairmount's number.

First call. No answer. Second call. Still, no answer.

So, the negative thought is correct?

Third call. Still, no answer. Daphne starts to lower the grip on her hand which is holding the minipad.

Fourth call. It is still the same.

Alright then... forget him. I indeed have to trust Payneth. He is indeed cruel and heartless. Besides, he must have found another woman. Forget him, Daphne!

Daphne moves her fingers, ready to end the call.

"Hello."

Daphne feels as if her heart has stopped beating. It is Stairmount's voice.

Stairmount has picked up her call!

Copyright © by boundless_universe

In her haste, she puts the minipad closer to her lips. But as she opens her mouth, her voice can't even come out.

"Hello, Daphne Darling? Can you hear me?"

Ah... that voice. That voice which is always able to thrill and melt her heart.

"Stairmount..." Finally she can move her tongue again.

"Yes, Daphne. You are free right now?"

Stairmount's voice remains unchanged. As if nothing has ever happened, even though they have been out of touch for a week. A week, which is like a year for her, and how severe it has shocked her life. However, Stairmount is still acting like nothing has ever happened.

"Stairmount... you... how are you going?..." Daphne must exert her effort just to move her paralyzed tongue. No, I can't lose to that negativity. I have to make everything confirmed!

"I'm fine. Well, I've been a bit busy lately... you know. They indeed deliberately blow up the news about me. It really makes me so tired... but I can still handle it. How about you? Are you alright? How is your Mom?"

Daphne curves a slight smile. Look, how can a heartless and cold-blooded person care for a middle-aged woman who is useless to him? "I am fine... Mom is also fine..."

"I am happy to hear that. I can take a breath of relief."

"It's just... I miss Dad recently..."

Yes, I have to make everything clear!

"You miss your father?"

"Yes... You know? Actually, you remind me of Dad... Because you have the similarity with him. He... also worked at Mist Laboratory..."

"Oh, really?"

"That's right... He also... worked as a researcher... same with you..."

"Really? Does it mean, we are in the same work area?"

"That's right... So... I think, you must know him..."

"Ah! Why didn't you tell me about this earlier? Can you tell me his name? Maybe just like what you said, I know him."

You don't just know him... you have killed him with your hands. Daphne grits her teeth.

"His name is... Warren Yalle."

For a moment, the atmosphere turns silent. Stairmount falls silent as she mentions her father's name.

Well, then? He turns silent, which means something wrong has really happened. Daphne Yalle! Just accept this cruel reality sincerely!

"Stairmount... we will get married, right? We will become husband and wife. You once said, we should know more deeply about our respective personalities. So now, can you tell me everything about you in detail? What actually have you done in the past?  Because as your future wife, I must be clear about this matter. Everything about you."

This time, Daphne's voice is clear, calm, and smooth. Just like her objective, she has to make everything clear. This problem would not be solved if she just runs away from it, in order to solve this problem, she thus has to face it bravely.

Yes, Stairmount. Say that you are just forced to do this. Just like you are forced to spread the Sierra Pathogen in Saturn because they take your parents as their hostages. Say it, prove your innocence!...

Copyright © by boundless_universe

0