Yasuko? Part 3
986 4 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the original series, when a stand changed form or function, or when they gained a new ability, it was called ‘stand evolution’. So, is this a stand evolution? Or something else? Could it have anything to do with the memories I've gained of the past? 

 

Aside from the change in gender, my stand doesn't seem to have changed all that much. If this really is an evolution, then I can only consider it a blessing. I'm still able to use it just as I was before, by erasing things and space itself. (Actually, I think I'm probably better with it now.) Only now, I can retrieve the things I've erased. 'I guess I can't call it erasing then, I'll call it, 'storage'.

 

‘How far does this ‘evolution’ actually go?’ I wondered, as I decided to experiment. 

 

I looked around the room and found Koichi's dirty piss soaked pants rolled up in a ball on the floor. I swiped my right hand, erasing the space in between myself and the ball, and brought them  over to me with The Hand. 'So far, business as usual.'

 

Then I swiped at them again, but this time I specifically willed it so that The Hand would only erase the piss inside of them, hoping to leave the pants intact.

 

'Yes! These pants are dry now! there aren't even any stains!' To my surprise, The result was a success. Not only did my stand gain a new ability, but it actually improved at using its old one.

 

"Look Aniki! I'm more precise with my erasing ability than before! I can even undo it now! MY STAND HAS EVOLVED!!!" I yelled excitedly as I handed the now clean, pants back to Koichi, while smiling back at Keicho.  

 

He simply nodded his head at me, but his expression was still filled with obvious doubt. As were the other's. 

 

"Assuming Josuke really isn't responsible as he says, Could it be that the sudden biological changes in him have something to do with the evolution of his stand?" Keicho wondered aloud. 

 

"Actually, now that I think about it, didn't the arrow peirce you when you were fighting earlier?" Josuke asked me. To which I nodded in response. 

 

“The arrow can evolve pre-existing stands?” Koichi asked the question floating around in all the other’s heads.

 

"That could explain his stand's growth, but it doesn't explain why his physical body changed like this." Keicho reasoned.

 

"Actually, I think it might." Koichi interjected "when my stand…hatched, my hairstyle changed a bit without me doing anything to it, see?." He said as he pointed up at his now spiky, silver hair reminiscent of a white flame. “I know it's not the same, but my stand grew from a previously useless egg into something useful, in a way you could say it ‘evolved’”

 

"Hm? That's true…but is that even a viable comparison?" Keicho asked.  

 

"Well it could be the arrow's second piercing, or the fact that he got pummeled so hard, he nearly died twice in one day." Josuke added "I know for sure that even if I did play a part in it, I can’t be held entirely responsible for his gender change. My Crazy Diamond is strong and versatile, but I can’t just change a person’s DNA without even thinking about it!". 

 

"Maybe in his heart, Okuyasu's always been a woman, and the arrow simply brought that out when it pierced him again?" Keicho wondered aloud.

 

"Nope, you're definitely wrong on that last part, Aniki, I am the mightiest of men, the most manly of them all!" I said with a toothy grin, while posing with my arms raised. I still had plenty of muscle, even with a smaller, slender, feminine frame.

 

"Well whatever, let's put the question of how or why aside for now. We should decide what we're going to do about it from now on." Keicho finally concluded. As he turned to face me. 

 

"Okuyasu, this…this change looks like it's permanent. Are you fine staying this way? Can you live as a woman for the rest of your life?" Keicho asked me, his eyes boring into my own, as if he were trying to analyze even the smallest change in my expression. 

 

I tried to keep a straight face while I answered as best I could. "Well, it's not like I wanted it originally, but I guess I don't mind staying like this. I got a new upgrade for my stand, and it's not like being a woman is really all that bad. I mean, both of us nearly died, Aniki. I'm grateful to be alive at all." As I said this, Keicho's expression noticeably fell. I could see remorse written all over his face. After all, it doesn't take a genius to know that this all came about as a direct result of his actions. 

 

But I didn't say this to make him feel any more guilt. I didn't want him to carry yet another burden on his shoulders, so I tried to reassure him "I can still move my body normally. Well, my balance is a little off now, but I'll get used to it with time. I'm still the same person! the only thing that changed was my outside appearance." I said with as much optimism and enthusiasm as I could muster.

 

I really did think this. Without the immediate panic after waking up like this, the more I think about everything that happened today, the more I realize that this is not a bad result. I’m intact and healthy, even though I could have died today. I managed to alter fate in a major way. I saved my brother's life, even if the price I paid for it was my 'you know what'…and, I even got a new power out of the deal.

 

Additionally, Now that he's had some time to settle his emotions, I think Aniki will agree to Josuke's earlier proposal. I still have hope that we can save our father, and maybe we can try to live on the straight and narrow, now. 

 

I mean, we managed to build up a good amount of savings during the summer, so we should be able to go to school, like normal people this year. 

 

I could see that my brother still had a guilty expression on his face so I chose to settle the matter, once and for all. "Aniki, long as you're here with me. I can do anything. Living like this… isn't even a challenge for me. You've raised me to be strong, and brave, so I won't ever let this bother me." I said, this time with conviction. Finally, I could see his expression ease, if only a little. 

 

"Since you've accepted this change in gender, don't you think that the name 'Okuyasu' will sound a little off when you introduce yourself to new people?" Koichi asked, trying to ease the atmosphere. 

 

"You're probably right. I'll think of a new one." I said with pursed lips, trying not to show the excitement I felt. I turned away, stroked my chin, and took a moment to seriously think about what my new given name should be. This was a new start for me, hopefully, it meant I could be more true to myself, as I am now, both as a woman, and a reincarnator. 

Still, even if I was changing my name, I didn't want to lose the part of me that was still 'Okuyasu'. I wanted my new name to at least partially reflect that aspect of myself. "….hm… what about Yasuko?" I replied. 

 

"Considering your family's naming scheme, it's not half bad," Josuke replied with a smirk. 

 

“Yeah, I think it's pretty good!” Koichi echoed, with an enthusiastic smile.

 

My brother's name was spelled with the Kanji meaning 'Trillion'. Similarly, my old name was 'Billion' in Kanji. Now my new name would mean 'Rich girl'. Which kind of fits with the running theme of ‘money’. Our parents were ambitious people, so they named us with hopes for our future. Of course, things until now didn't turn out as good as they'd hoped, but I think we can still turn things around. As long as we're alive, we have time.

 

"So Yasuko it is then." Keicho Agreed. 

 

And so from now on, I would be Yasuko Nijimura(虹村裕子), younger sister of Keicho Nijimura (虹村 形兆), daughter of Mansaku Nijimura (虹村 万作), and the deceased Mizuki Nijimura ( 虹村 虹村 ). Hopefully one day, we'll all live up to our names. 

42