Chapter -8
38 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter -8

Of course the people has no time to spare concerned about the fourth prince's weird conduct.

The lower ranked officials took it up to themselves the introductory proceedings.

And strangely enough, both the parties had a tactic understanding and didn't try to pry more than necessary.

The silver strands were conspicuous even amidst the extravagance of the surroundings.The dark blue veil did nothing to help hide the charm of its wearer.

It was as if all the brilliance was meant sheerly for this person alone.Although exhausted and worn out from all the travelling, one couldn't make out even the slightest trace of fatigue in her composure nor in her bearings.

Jean was a hundred-and-ten-percent sure that the eyes of both the male leads are glued to her at this moment and exactly that's what prevailed when he glanced over.

They were now dumbstruck by her and couldn't take their eyes off her.

'Geez! stop it already guys.

Daddy knows he did a good job ░⁍̴̀⺫⁍̴́░ '

Maybe the other party noticed his starlike gaze which made her look at him.

Jean had no time to turn his head away and the two eyes bumped instantly.Both froze when their gazes met each other.

Jean's shock and Lorelei's curiosity made it so that they got stuck in the moment.

*cough

The warning from Leon brought him back to reality.

The Emperor too gave him THE LOOK but things had to go on so they turned their focus on the still speaking Escort from Salona.

"As I was saying Your Majesty, our Lord Emperor of Salona, Sloane Cromwell is extremely delighted to be able to come into such an consensus.

He hopes that in the coming years both the kingdoms will go hand in hand and achieve new glories!"

"I hope what you ralied just now is true Mr.Escort.

Otherwise, I have seen quite a bunch who does the exact opposite of what they say." The Emperor is not a fool.He already knows what's going on inside the other's mind.

"How is that possible Sire.Of course our Master is sincere in what he says."

"The long years of war has done enough damage.His Majesty Sloane just wants peace for both the nations and wishes for the well being of both." It appears that the leader of the escort team is quite proficient in such negotiations.

"He even sent his dearest youngest Princess as a sign of his good faith only in hopes that Your Majesty will be kind towards the captured soldiers of ours." The true intentions are already revealed but giving face is still important.

"I definitely do not hold any kind of grudge towards your Ruler but just a mere girl is not enough for a guarantee, don't you think?"

 The Emperor was now playing his cards but between the verbal tug of war among these two, Jean was the one who was dying from all the tension.

'Your Majesty! The mere girl you are referring to is THE Protagonist.THE PROTAGONIST Alright !!'

No matter what, the Empire of Salona was indeed inferior to that of the Credians.The Leader had no choice but to settle for a compromise,

"T-then I would request Your Majesty to state your terms of the deal."

"The Princess is welcome to stay here with us, however, all your kingdom have to do is -

Open the Braike Passage for trade in the North-West."

All sorts of gasps and murmurs echoed throughout the hall.

Even Jean was impressed by how well things were handled by him.The Escort official was now driven to edge.He had no other choice.

"Wha- 

but I alone can't make such a decision Your Majesty.We need more time."

"The Jury of Ministers.

You are incharge of this matter from this point onwards. I leave the decision to you." One command and it was over.

A chorus of the Jury's "As you command, Your Majesty" followed behind the Emperor's trail as he made his leave.

Whatsoever, the later discussions are now for a later hour.The feast is what that everyone's been looking up to.

And of course...the dancers especially brought from the Norelatt prefecture of the Eastern parts of Credia are surely a sight to behold.

 

.

.

Crown Prince Leon presided over the banquet in the Emperor's stead.

The euphony of music filled the entire place, echoing throughout every corner of the palace.Groups of men stood together enjoying this blissful evening ignorant (or rather) indifferent to the sufferings of the very soul that was sacrificed for such occasion.

 At the other side of the hall Jean slowly and steadily kept his eyes glued to the main celebrities of today's scene.

Lorelei was now surrounded by few of the palace maids assigned to her.It was morelike being kept under surveillance.After just exchanging a couple of words with the people she was very carefully led towards her own arranged chambers.

His eyes followed her every step and only withdrew them after she could no longer be seen.

'Ah- right'

Suddenly remembering the presence of the leads Jean had to roam around a bit before he finally saw the shadows of them silently observing the happenings of their surroundings.

They stood in a rather inconspicuous corner of the room beside a huge pillar draped in thick curtains, almost making them invisible in the dark.

According to the main series following the plot, Jason was supposed to cause a huge uproar at this event.But since Jean is now in Jason's place this incident didn't occur and Jean was actually really careful not to make a single mistake.

Today's Justus was dressed all in black with his hair slicked back in a perfect way that not even a single hair was sticking out of place.It was his eyes that shined brightly and sharp due to his get-up.

Jean was beyond mesmerized by his own creation.And when he drifted his eyes towards Emile his breathing almost stopped.

Emile was wearing his usual light colours but something about him looked different now that he was away from himself and the prying eyes of the servants.

It was at this moment of his trance when Emile's gaze fell on him following which Justus too looked at his direction.

Flustered Jean could only nod at them and quickly fled from their eyes.

The voice of the songstress echoed like that of a Nightingale's cry in the late hours of a lonely night. 

Sighing as he calmed himself down Jean now observed his surrounding.Alone, he stood at a corridor with little to no men loitering about.

No secrets shared here.

No romances made.

He was alone and his heart was lonely too as the night grew deeper with passing second ticking by.

Author has something to say : This one was a rather short chapter but hey! We did get to see the Female protagonist up close(⁠≧⁠▽⁠≦⁠)

What do you think is gonna happen next?🤔

************************************************

Chapter -9

A week has almost passed since the envoys from Salona has set foot on the Credian soil and it was just yesterday evening that the final decision was made regarding the Emperor's proposal.

The envoys has already left.

Returning to their land of origin, leaving their Princess behind in this strange unfamiliar land where everything seemed so strange and new and differed to a great extent to what Lorelei was used to.

Things were gradually starting to settle back to their usual pace.

The festive excitement that shrouded the entirety of the Capital has now calmed down.

People were back to their jobs following their usual daily routine.

It was just that Jean was the only being with no work at hand.

And this he realised today.

'Stay out of the Main Characters' way.

Do your own stuff.

Make myself useful for the future.'

These three sentences ran without a stop through his mind.

After a lot of pondering on Jean's part he had realised one thing for sure, and that is -

Jason never lacked money.

Come to think of it.

Throughout the entire story until the Emperor died Jason not once faced any kind of financial issues.

May it be playing around with women, spending loads of money and going out with his so-called friends or wearing lavish clothes and leading a rich flamboyant lifestyle, Jason was doing pretty well without the need to worry about making money.

'Hmm

Doesn't the same applies for now?'

Fine then.

Without a second thought Jean had Robert go pick up Asa from the White Iris.

It took a whole of four hours for poor Robert to complete his task without even a second of break.

Asa was shocked too when he was called upon by the old Mama.

When led to meet his friend Rupert he was so delighted he hopped straight into the carriage. 

Royal Guard Robert Peterson, tasked with the mission of escorting the fourth prince's close friend did his job very well.

By the end of the day it was common knowledge that the fourth prince had his own personal bodyguard abduct the adopted son of the Big Mama into the palace.

.

.

"You.... didn't yours folks warn you against getting into some strangers car?

Aren't you afraid of getting abducted?!"

Sitting across from Jean Asa spoke,

"What's a 'Car'?"(;・∀・)

Looking at his blank expression Jean painfully kneaded his brows.

"Forget it.

Anyways, how did you recognise us?"

Getting serious about the situation Asa spilled the beans.He told them that he had actually chanced upon Jason from afar when the latter was fooling around one day.

Though he didn't exactly say this Jean more or less guessed the meaning.

And he also said that the day the trio had visited the Red district Asa could easily tell through their disguises.

"Tehehe..I never would have imagined that the fourth prince would be so concerned for a mere brothel dweller." 

 Asa's voice sounded like that of a teenager.His hazel-eyes were shining with the usual curiousness that a boy his age should have as he scanned through his surroundings.

"What kind of a person do you take me for?"

 Jean teased back but the youth only smiled at this question and the eyes that lightly glanced at him before turning back held deep meanings.

It's been so long since Jean had hang out with youngsters that he was all smiles.All the servants were dismissed, only Darrion and Robert were asked to stay back.

Finally alone in his study Jean now began to explain why he had brought him here.

It was to have him stay in the palace as the 'prince's companion'

"Prince...compan-

 Your highness! A companion is fine but please think about what other's might say."

Anxious as always Darrion was the first to speak of his concerns.

"I know full well what reputation I hold outside these walls, Darrion.

But I want a change.I only wish for people to look at me from afar and express in awe - ' Look look, there goes the fourth prince of our kingdom!'

Not avoid me like a calamity.I want to live better."

Jean's words held many unspoken meanings held in between these lines.

Pacing forward towards the open window he looked upon the vast sky at the distance which was starting to darken due to upcoming showers of rain.

His intentions were clear and it left Darrion, Jason's long time companion speechless.He was unable to shake off this feeling of unfamiliarity. Of strange emotions surging through his heart.

Now that he looked at this very back and these all to familiar shoulders of the Prince that he had already seen countless of times Darrion felt as if he had never really gotten to know this person.

'Who is he?

Where did his saviour from all these years go?

Who is this person?

"WHO ARE YOU?!"

His sudden outburst startled all the rest three people in the room.

When Jean caught sight of Darrion, the boy was already apologising for his misconduct.Like a broken recorder he kept on saying,

"I am sorry.I shouldn't have raised my voice.I am sorry.I am so sorry...

Robert immeadiately passed him a glass of water to calm him down.Patting him on his back.

While Jean was standing there watching.His heart beating inside his chest like a loud drum thumping non-stop.

He felt like he was going to faint.

He can't have himself exposed.

.

.

Later that evening after he had sent Asa off, the old Butler from the main palace showed up almost as in cue to his intentions.

°

Butler Leo has spent his entire life working his way upto where he is now.Most people say that he was even born within this very palace and has served also the Emperor prior to their current. Therefore, it was not at all a strange sight seeing a mere butler sitting as an equal with the Empire's youngest prince.

Sipping at his tea the old man relished in its aftertaste.With the cup still in his fingers he slowly spoke,

 "Your highness...

I know it is difficult to suddenly change ones way of doing things but there must be times when you need to be mindful of what may follow."

His rough old voice was like two stones grinding against each other.It held the mysteries of all the years of his existence.

"My own experiences have taught me and I am in no place to be saying this but please at least think about your own future.There might come a time when you will have to depend on your own abilities.

Tell me,Your highness ....are you really going to be continue like this ? For how long will it go on?"

The greys of the eyes of this aged man stared right into Jean's own.

Jean stuttered out a reply with great difficulty, rather also feeling some guilt

"I-

 I understand what you are saying, Leo. But I Am really trying my very best to change.Believe me.

Please."

"I've always did.We all have", tender warmth radiated from his smile. And Jean was so touched he wanted to cry. No one had ever told him that.Not in his previous life.

His nose felt sore but he still held back.Instead, he kept blabbering about and kept on spouting promises that he will do better and lead an obedient lif

e.

He didn't want to be hated by this person. He worked up some courage and ever so hesitantly asked out,

"Will you help me then?"

"It depends."

It was the first time Old Leo saw the fourth prince, who was stubborn as a bull look so determined. He will not allow this spark that has started to ignite go out.

6