Chapter 2-Prologue: How It All Began Part 2
2.8k 17 96
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The samurai, adorned in traditional armor and cloth, stood at the edge of a ruined village. The once-thriving settlement lay in ruins, its wooden buildings reduced to rubble and ash. The landscape beyond was equally barren; the once lush and vibrant fields were now trampled and scorched, and the earth churned into a lifeless wasteland. The sun beat down upon them, casting long shadows across the desolate plain.

In front of the samurai, a group of fierce beasts snarled and growled, their eyes glowing with an otherworldly intensity. The beasts' matted fur was caked with blood and dirt, their fangs long and razor-sharp. They stood atop a hill of rubble and wreckage; their last rampage lay bare before them. The stench of their filth and the decay of their victims hung heavy in the air.

The samurai did not flinch, nor did they falter. They had been trained for this moment to stand against impossible odds and to fight until their last breath. With a sudden roar, they charged ahead, their swords and spears at the ready. The beasts leaped from their hill, surging forward to meet the samurai in a thundering clash of fangs and steel.

The samurai fought with deadly grace, their movements fluid and precise. They sliced through the air with their swords, striking the beasts with calculated blows that brought them down one by one. The creatures fought back with equal ferocity, but the samurai were undeterred. They moved as one, their armor and weapons glinting in the sunlight, their cries echoing across the barren landscape.

With a final roar, the last beast fell, its body stilling on the parched earth. The samurai stood victorious, their armor and weapons stained with the blood of their foes. They surveyed the ruins of what had been the village, knowing that the task of rebuilding would be long and arduous. However, that was not their problem; they had already done their job. The rest was up to the villagers.

After the battle, the samurai ignored the anguished villagers and looted the beast's corpses.

A hush fell over the battlefield. The cries of battle faded away, replaced by the intense rustle of wind blowing through the trees and rain pattering as it washed the blood and guts away.

The villagers noticed this and slowly crept out of their hiding spots.

“D-Did the samurai kill them all?”

“I-I think they did! Lo-Look! There’s a fallen beast over there!”

“There’s five over there! The samurai won!”

“The samurai won!”

“WOOO!”

The villagers cheered for the samurai’s victory and the fact that they were still alive. The fact that their village was destroyed was secondary, though it would soon be their biggest worry.

Hina wasn’t much different from them. When she realized the fighting was over, she grabbed Mika and immediately ran out of her hiding spot to find her husband.

“Kenji! Kenji! Where are you?!” She yelled out, hoping to hear a response.

“..na…”

“H...a”

“...ik…”

Hearing a voice similar to Kenji’s in the distance, she ran in that direction with Mika pressed against her chest.

“Kenji! I’m here! Where are you?!” Hina yelled again.

“Hi…na!”

“I… he…re…”

Noticing that she was getting closer to the voice, Hina ran in that direction.

The voice got louder and more apparent the closer she got, and she knew that the one calling out was Kenji.

The two caught sight of each other and ran toward one another with tears in their eyes. 

As they finally met, Hina and Kenji embraced tightly, their tears mingling as they held each other close. Sensing the relief and love in their reunion, Mika let out a small giggle, reaching out to touch her father's face.

Kenji was covered in blood with several cuts and gashes on his body, but at least he was alive. 

“Honey! I’m so glad you’re alive!” Hina squeezed her husband tighter as if she was afraid he’d disappear.

Kenji winced in pain. “Careful, Hina. I’m still a bit injured,” He said, patting his wife on the back, trying to calm her down.

The two hugged each other, with Mika in between for a while before Hina let go to get a good look at her husband and see how messed up he was. 

“Let’s find you a place to rest so that I can tend to your injuries.” She led her husband to the nearest water source to wash off his wounds, then used cloth straps to cover all his injuries.

After Kenji became mummified in cloth, he got a good look at the destruction around them and sighed.

“I guess we’ll be forced to move, huh.” He muttered but hugged his wife and daughter warmly. Silently promising himself that he’d do anything to ensure they could still live in this messed-up world.

“I heard that the beasts only attack at night, but I never figured something like this would happen to us,” Hina replied with puffy cheeks, her head against her husband’s chest.

“Well, the beasts have been around for as long as our history dates. Although the samurai have done an excellent job of pushing them back so that humans can make their mark on the earth, there are still plenty of them out there roaming around.” Kenji explained, gently stroking his wife’s hair.

“Mmmhm,” Hina mumbled.

“We should probably pack up and leave as soon as possible to find someplace to stay.”

***

A day later, Hina, Kenji, Mika, and many other refugees, walked into the next village. 

The small village sat nestled at the foot of a low mountain range, surrounded by rolling hills and fields of crops. But as they approached, it became clear that all was not well. The air was hot and dry, the ground beneath their feet dusty and thirsty. The once-verdant fields were now yellowed and withered, the crops stunted and wilted. The river that once flowed steadily through the village is now reduced to a trickle, barely enough to sustain the villagers and their livestock.

As they entered the village, Kenji saw that the residents were weary and worn, their faces etched with worry and fear. Many wore tattered clothing and looked malnourished, evidence of the ongoing drought that had beset the land. 

The rice paddies were dry and cracked, usually brimming with water, and the rice stalks were wilting in the heat. The farmers worked tirelessly to coax the last few grains of rice from the parched earth. Some even resorted to digging deep wells and hand-drawing water to irrigate their fields, a back-breaking and time-consuming task.

Despite the scarcity of crops, the villagers banded together, sharing their little food and supporting each other through tough times.

However, now that strangers had encroached on their already poor land, the villagers looked at Kenji, Hina, and the others wearily.

Kenji smiled bitterly at this, but he wasn’t too surprised. Their previous village hadn’t produced much water. What would be different here?

“It looks like this will be our home for a while,” Kenji said, “Let’s try and make ourselves comfortable and get along with everyone. Remember that we came here uninvited, so don’t make a fuss if they’re rude.” He gestured toward his wife and daughter to follow him, and they began walking through the village. 

Mika looked around curiously but soon lost interest when she saw that this place was just as run down as her previous home. Instead, she recalled the scenes of the samurai standing victoriously over the hulking beasts, their swords still in the corpses. 

She pictured herself in their position, and a hint of excitement and anticipation grew in her heart.

“Dad, I want to be a samurai! I want to wield a real katana! I want to learn to fight like those men!” Mika suddenly said, breaking her parents out of the negative thoughts forming in their heads as they walked through the village. 

They both stopped and looked at her, not too shocked by her words but still surprised to hear it from a 3-year-old.

“Women can’t be samurai, Mika. They’re too weak.” Hina said, and even though Kenji figured Mika had a talent for the sword, he also agreed with his wife. 

“She’s right, Mika. If you train enough, you might be able to become a shinobi, but I think you’ll have a hard time becoming a samurai.” Kenji said. 

Mika pouted and stared at her parents indignantly, “I don’t care! I’ll become a samurai and prove you wrong! I’ll become the best!”

Kenji and Hina looked at each other and sighed. They would love it if Mika could prove them wrong, but there’s a reason why people associate samurai with men.

Still, Kenji, unlike many fathers who would try and steer their daughters away from such a life, didn’t want to shut her down completely. 

Patting her on the head, he said, “Then, you’ll have to work very hard in the future. If you're deadset on this, I’ll teach you how to survive by yourself, but I don’t want to see you being lazy. Laziness will mean failure, and failure is not something this world will accept!”

He didn’t expect his daughter to understand those words at her age, but if he were going to do this, he would treat her no differently than he would an adult.

Mika nodded firmly, clenching her fists around the cracked wooden sword. 

Hina sighed at this sight but smiled inwardly. She decided just to let her husband handle it.

***

Things soon settled down for the Akino family as the villagers of Yumegawa Village provided the refugees with enough wood, thatch, and bamboo to create a hut. 

However, since the villagers didn’t have enough food to spare, Kenji had to hunt and forage for food himself. He could also try to grow rice, wheat, millet, or soybeans, but since the land was dry and infertile, it would take time to build a proper farm to grow those things. 

Thus, he and many others could only forage for food and set traps for small animals.

Walking up to the edge of a small forest, Kenji and Mika stared inside, eager and needy to find something to eat.

She's dressed in simple clothing, a loose tunic, and pants made from natural fibers that her mother made for her. Mika held her father Kenji's hand tightly as they walked into the forest, her tiny feet crunching on the forest floor covered with fallen leaves and twigs.

Kenji was a sturdy man in his mid-twenties, with solid muscles and weathered hands from working the land. He wore a simple outfit made of cotton, with a worn pair of boots on his feet. He carried a woven basket in one hand and a small knife in the other. 

As they walked through the forest, Kenji patiently explained the different types of trees and plants they passed by and answered her many questions.

“Don’t eat those mushrooms. They’ll give you a stomach ache.” 

“Don’t touch the base of those trees. Poisonous plants like to wrap around them.”

“See those holes in the ground? Looks like a burrow a rabbit made.”

“Those are shiitake mushrooms. Let’s pick up a few for us to have for dinner.”

“Ah! Those bamboo shoots over there are called Sansai and are actually edible. We can take some with us to eat later.”

“OH! Look, Mika! Those vines over there are called Kudzu! We can use the leaves to make tea!”

As they walked deeper into the forest, Mika's eyes widened with wonder as she took in the natural beauty around her. Kenji showed her how to identify different types of mushrooms and berries, cautioning her not to eat anything without his permission. Afterward, they found a stream, and Kenji set a trap for fish while Mika helps him gather branches and stones.

“Watch closely, Mika. Before you become a samurai, you must first learn how to survive. While setting a trap to capture fish might not sound useful, it might someday save your life. The same goes for all these other things I’m teaching you. Wielding a sword might sound great, but in the end, the winner is the one who survives.”

“More than anything, your mother and I just want you to survive. Remember that, Mika.”

When they were done with everything, the sun began to set, and Mika grew tired, so Kenji carried her on his back as they made their way back home. The basket was about half-filled with mushrooms and berries. It wasn’t the most successful day of foraging, but Kenji wasn’t bothered by this as he spent most of his time teaching and showing Mika around rather than actually looking for food.

After they returned home, Mika jumped off Kenji’s back and grabbed her damaged wooden katana!

“Mom, Dad, I’m going to go swing my sword around!” Mika announced, and without waiting for them to answer, she ran behind the hut and began swinging her sword, trying to mimic those samurai's movements.

Kenji smiled and shook his head, wondering, ‘Wasn’t she tired just a second ago? Where’d all that energy come from?’

Still, he was glad to see that Mika was serious about her ‘training’, even if all she was doing was swinging a sword around blindly. 

‘At least it’s better than nothing.’ Kenji shrugged his shoulders and stopped thinking about it. 

‘Knowing how to swing a sword is better than not knowing, even if her form isn’t correct.’

***

After that day, many like it followed. At the break of dawn, Kenji would take Mika out and show her how to hunt, forage, and survive. He showed her how to carve and create makeshift weapons out of sticks. He also guided her through the basics of farming, but the ground was too barren for her to understand the foundational skills properly.

While at night, Mika would go out back and swing her sword around. She’d aim at trees, rocks, bugs, anything she could find, as not only did that make it more fun, but it added some variety to her ‘training’.

Over time, she began to understand more about the interaction between her body and the sword and could make minor adjustments based on what felt more comfortable and what didn’t. 

She didn’t do this consciously; it was just her body naturally adjusting to make things more efficient.

Occasionally, Mika would fight with some of the other children in the village, but most of the time, she was too busy for that. Kenji kept Mika on a tight schedule and was stricter on her than any other parent in the village.

Some days, he would even make her find her own food; if she didn’t, she wouldn’t eat that day. 

However, Mika never said a word about it. She dutifully listened to her father’s instructions, fully believing that what she was doing today would lead her to the future she wanted.

***

Seven years later

Mika, now a 10-year-old child, stood under a large cherry blossom tree where she buried her parents. 

Not long ago, they had both gotten sick and like many others in this era, they died before getting proper treatment. 

She knelt and bowed to them, offering a silent prayer. 

After a few minutes of silence, Mika got up, brushing the dirt off her hemp jacket and loincloth. She looked down at the makeshift grave, her eyes firm, lit with determination. 

“I promise I’ll do what I said I’d do all those years ago and become the most skilled samurai in all of history. Thank you for taking care of me all these years! I’ll use your knowledge and teachings to live a long, fulfilling life.”

Mika gave one last bow before throwing a sack over her back, filled with various kinds of food, and turning around. She walked away from her parent’s grave, never looking back again. 

Soon, Mika made it out of Yumegawa Village as well and into the nearby forest. Still, she didn’t stop there and kept walking.

The forest was dense, with towering trees that seemed to touch the sky. The canopy was so thick that only dappled sunlight filtered through, casting a greenish hue over everything below. The ground was covered in a thick layer of moss, and the air was cool and damp. The sound of birdsong filled the air, and the occasional rustle of leaves betrayed the movement of small animals.

As Mika walked deeper into the forest, the trees grew even taller and their trunks wider. Some trees had been marked with symbols, perhaps indicating ownership or boundaries. In the undergrowth, she saw a variety of plants and shrubs, some of which she recognized as medicinal herbs used in traditional Japanese medicine. The forest floor was covered in a carpet of leaves and pine needles, and Mika heard the crunching of twigs and leaves beneath her feet.

The forest was alive with the sounds of nature. In the distance, she heard the sound of a stream and the gentle tinkling of water over rocks. A slight breeze carried the scent of wildflowers, and she caught a whiff of wood smoke from a nearby village.

Mika noticed that the forest seemed to be teeming with life - birds, squirrels, and rabbits were all around, and you could hear the rustling of larger animals moving in the underbrush. Walking along a trail, she noticed the faint scent of something sweet and earthy, perhaps from nearby wildflowers or ripe fruit. 

A few days later, Mika was deep in the mountains, where she finally dropped her empty sack. 

“Dad said that if I’m dead set on becoming a samurai, I shouldn’t show myself to the world until my body fully matures. He said not to come out until I have the strength necessary to protect myself. I don’t fully understand why, but since Dad said it, I’ll be a filial child and listen to his request.”

Mika grasped a newly constructed wooden sword, her feet firmly planted in the ground, as she took up a proper swinging stance.

“I guess this will be my home for the next few years.”

Mika took a deep breath, her dark hair falling in loose waves around her shoulders. She raised the sword high above her head, her muscles tensing as she prepared to strike. She exhaled sharply and brought the blade down in a swift, fluid motion, the whoosh of the sword slicing through the air and echoing through the forest.

Mika repeated this motion again and again, each time with more speed and precision. She moved with grace and intensity, suggesting she's practiced this many times before. Her face was focused and determined, and her eyes followed the blade as it moved through the air.

As she swung the sword, she was aware of the forest around her - the sound of leaves rustling in the breeze, the scent of pine and earth. She's attuned to every movement and sound, anticipating any sudden environmental changes.

After a few hours, as she finished the last swing, Mika lowered the sword and stood still for a moment, taking deep breaths to slow her heart rate. A sense of confidence and satisfaction filled her heart, knowing that her training was progressing smoothly.

Mika smiled, promising she’d do everything in her power to survive, not just to honor her parent’s wishes but because she wanted to keep training her swordsmanship!

***

After five years, a pale young woman with makeshift animal pelt clothes and full of cuts and scars all over her body walked out of the forest. She was taller than the average Japanese woman, standing at about 165 centimeters tall. 

Her body was lean and toned, with tight muscles visible beneath her rough, pale skin. Every line of her frame was taut and defined, revealing the results of years of training and discipline.

Her face was angular and sharp, with high cheekbones and a determined jawline. Her eyes were dark and piercing, seeming to take in everything around her with a laser-like focus. Her hair was pulled back in a tight braid, hiding her shaggy hair and revealing the curve of her neck and the strength of her jaw.

The young woman seemed almost weightless as she moved, her movements precise and fluid. Her muscles rippled with each step, every motion perfectly controlled. Her hands were calloused, evidence of the hours she had spent training and honing her skills.

Despite her physical strength, the young woman exuded quiet confidence and inner peace. She moved with grace and poise that suggests she is comfortable in her own skin, confident in her abilities, and at peace with the world around her.

This young woman was naturally Mika, whose body had finally finished maturing. She’d been through a lot over the last few years, but now, it was finally time for her to go out into the world!

“Ahhh!” She took a deep breath in, enjoying the fresh air, “Now that I’m an adult, I think it’s about time I upgrade my weaponry!” She grinned. 

The last five years had been hard on her, and it was naturally impossible for her to spend all five years totally isolated in the forest. Occasionally, she’d leave and go visit Yumegawa Village for some human interaction.

She had the option of obtaining a real sword numerous times, but she always stopped herself. Her Dad told her to wait until she became an adult, and wait, she did.

It was finally time for her to cash in on all that patience!

“Well, let’s go find my fated partner!”

Mika marched out into the real world with a smile on her face, ready for what was to come!

Luckily for her, the opportunity presented itself much sooner than expected. 

While she was away, isolated in a forest for the better part of 5 years, solely focused on training and surviving, the world was in constant turmoil. That much wasn’t surprising, as Mika's world was full of blood and death. 

However, what was surprising was that the samurai were able to push back the beasts, forcing them to go into hiding.

Unfortunately, not everything was sunshine and rainbows afterward, as wars spread across the lands, feudal lords fighting for fertile territory.

It didn’t take much wandering before Mika heard the sounds of battle in the distance. Steel clanged together, and men yelled and screamed. 

Creeping around the outskirts, Mika stayed hidden, content with just watching, waiting for an opportunity. She didn’t know what kind of opportunity she sought, but that didn’t matter. 

Observing the fight for a while, she spotted some samurai separated from the group not too far away. Two people wore similar clothing, while the third looked different and held up his sword in opposition to the two.

‘A two versus one fight. I wonder who’ll win!’ Mika trembled in excitement, not bothered by the metallic smell covering the area around her. 

She’d witnessed enough death around her that she wouldn’t be bothered by something of this level.

The three fought for a few minutes, but eventually, the solo man got lucky and stabbed one of his opponents in the heart. His companion panicked seeing this, allowing the solo guy to take advantage of his momentary judgment lapse and behead him.

Suddenly, right after he killed his opponents, someone called out to the man.

“Yoshimasa, come back here! We need your help to suppress the enemy!”

“Yes, Sir!”

The man, Yoshimasa, glanced at the two dead samurai before shaking his head in pity and returning to the battlefield. 

That’s when Mika peeked her head out of the bushes. 

‘Is he gone?’ She wondered, and looked around, making sure nobody was nearby, then approached the two dead bodies. 

Just like Yoshimasa, Mika also shook her head, but unlike him, it wasn’t out of pity. 

She clicked her tongue a few times, then bent down to loot their corpses.

“The first rule to life is not to die. Since you two failed to do so, and your killer couldn’t be bothered to take your stuff, then as the first one to find your bodies, it’s well within my right to take this ownerless loot as my own.” 

Mika’s hands landed on their two katanas, and she froze as soon as they connected. Her back curved into the shape of a bow, a tingle ran down her spine, and her eyes rolled back inside her head. It was as if she had just experienced an existential orgasm!

“Mmm!” She moaned, but as she did so, she quickly came back to her senses, tightening her grip around the swords. 

A connection between them formed like she had reattached a missing limb, causing Mika to shudder, her excitement rising.

“Finally…” She muttered, tears of happiness forming in the corner of her eyes, “I finally have a real sword!”

The day she’d been looking forward to for over a decade finally happened, and now she could truly begin her journey to the top!

***

From then on, Mika traveled the world with her head held high, searching for every opportunity to learn and improve her swordsmanship. 

She joined every war she encountered (for a price, of course), dueled every samurai who dared to cross her path, and fought tooth and tail against the beasts.

Doing this allowed her to make enough money to live off of, not that she needed it anyways. If she wanted food, she would go and hunt for it herself. Perhaps the only real reason she would use money was to buy kimonos. Wearing animal pelts was fine, but Mika preferred the freedom of kimonos. 

When she wasn’t fighting against someone or something, she was training. Rather, that's the only thing she did.

After finally getting her hands on a real sword, she spent the next seven years watching other samurai and perfecting the moves which she considered foundational.

Then, she spent the next three years perfecting her footwork to align with those foundational moves perfectly and even going so far as to make each attack/defense/parry/etc., interchangeable with all the different footwork techniques she invented. 

After she had perfected her foundations, she was over 25 years old. However, she showed no signs of stopping there. By then, she only considered herself an intermediate samurai (even if she was really much closer to the master level) as there was still so much for her to learn and improve upon. 

Now that she had built her foundations, it was time to create her own style and style that would be unique only to her!

So, with her one-track mind focused on improving herself, Mika roamed the country, challenging anyone she deemed worthy to a life-and-death battle. 

Unfortunately, there weren’t nearly as many people she deemed ‘worthy’ enough to fight her, so she spent most of her time searching for beasts and fighting them or training in some remote area.

This went on for another decade before she finally reached a level of skill she was satisfied with. Thus, as a reward for all her hard work, she hired a blacksmith to make a sword for her! A sword that was specifically made for her! However, knowing her skills, her standards were quite high.

"I strive for excellence and refuse to settle for anything less. Only the absolute best will do, crafted with the finest materials and infused with my very own blood, sweat, and tears."

Thus, Mika roamed the land, looking for a suitable blacksmith to create her sword. 

In a remote backwater place called Bizen, she found a man named Rai Kunitoshi, who she found to be good enough to make her sword. 

After finding the man who would create her sword, Mika went on a journey to collect all the raw materials and returned a year later.

“You really did it,” Kunitoshi muttered in disbelief when Mika returned to him with all the raw materials she’d handpicked, “You really went out and searched for the highest quality of materials. Not only that but… but you found them too!”

Kunitoshi's eyes shined like a kid who had just got a new toy. He snatched all the resources from Mika and went into his workshop, where he immediately began creating her sword.

Just like Mika, he didn’t accept anything less than perfection, especially when handed the best possible materials. Thus, he dedicated an entire year to planning and perfecting the sword.

Nevertheless, the sword turned out just as… no, better than Mika could’ve ever imagined!

“Here you go, Mika-sama!” Kunithoshi held the finished katana gently in both hands as he carefully gave it to Mika, “This might possibly be the greatest katana in the history of Japan. I do not doubt that someone of your skill will do it justice, but please be mindful when using it. I’d hate to see such a work of art get damaged!”

Mika ignored that last statement and accepted the blade with both palms facing upward.

The blade of the katana was made from the finest quality steel, which has been folded and forged to create a sharp, flexible, and durable edge. The blade featured a stunning and intricate blood-red hamon (temper line), which the blacksmith had carefully crafted to give the blade a unique and beautiful appearance.

The katana's hilt was made from the highest-quality wood and has been wrapped with silk to provide a comfortable and secure grip. The tsuba (guard) was a stunning work of art made from the finest metals and decorated with intricate patterns and designs.

The sheath was made from the finest quality wood and carefully crafted to fit the blade perfectly. He finished it with a beautiful and durable lacquer, which gave it a glossy and smooth appearance. It was also adorned with stunning metal fittings, crafted with the same level of care and attention to detail as the blade and guard.

The katana's overall appearance was beautiful and elegant, with every detail crafted to perfection. The blade was sharp and strong, beyond what Mika was expecting. The hilt was comfortable and secure, allowing for precise and accurate strikes. And the scabbard was not only functional but also a stunning work of art in its own right, completing the perfection of the katana.

“Hahahahaha!” Mika burst out laughing, unable to contain the joy she felt holding something this precious. It was like she was holding a child made from her flesh and blood! “Amazing! Truly amazing! You did an outstanding job, Rai! I couldn’t have asked for a better sword!”

Kunithoshi beamed with pride, accepting Mika’s praise. He wouldn’t deny his own work, not when it was this incredible.

“Now, all it needs is a name.” He said, and without hesitation, Mika replied.

“Chigatana. Its name will Chigatana.” 

“Ah! Chi, meaning blood, and gatana, being a combination of ga and katana. I like it!” Kunithoshi nodded with a smile. 

“Mmhm. Since it was made using my blood, it’s a fitting name.”

The two of them stood there for a while, basking in the glory of Chigatana, before Kunithoshi spoke up.

“So, now that you have a proper sword, what will you do now, Mika-sama?”

“To become the greatest swordsman and woman in the history of Japan! Not the strongest, but the most skilled!” Mika announced, her eyes once again lit with determination, shocking Kunithoshi, “Not just the past either. No, I want to be the greatest swordsman, even after hundreds or thousands of years!”

She had reached the limits of the female body and knew that she could never match a man that had reached the limits in terms of strength. It was just a genetic restriction, one that she wasn’t sad about at all. 

Besides, she was getting up there in years and was unlikely to get any stronger. Therefore, she could only strive to be the most skilled.

Kunithoshi just stood there, not knowing what to say. What Mika said was ridiculous, but he wasn’t an ignorant bumpkin. He’d heard all kinds of stories and rumors about Mika. Some said she was Amaterasu's incarnation because she was so talented and strong. 

Others said she was a beast in human clothing. At the same time, many classified her as a demon due to her dominance on the battlefield.

She had many different titles, but they all eluded to the same thing: her talent with the sword was unparalleled.

If anyone else had said those words, he might’ve scolded them, but since it was Mika, he had to admit that she might pull it off.

“Well… good luck with that.” He said, giving a few words of encouragement. 

Mika shook her head and turned around, “Do you seriously believe I EARNED all of this because of luck?”

Without another word, she left, leaving behind a stunned blacksmith.

“Ahahaha! She really is a brute, just as I’ve heard.” Kunithoshi chuckled, shaking his head, then went inside.

***

From that moment on, Mika did exactly as she said. She challenged all the so-called swordmasters in Japan and crushed them, earning herself the position of Japan’s number 1 swordsman. 

However, that wasn’t enough to satisfy Mika. So, she set up a dojo, but instead of accepting students, she only accepted duels. 

Not just any duels but battles to the death. 

She was over 37 years old, and with how she treated her body all these years, she probably wouldn’t live another decade. So, this was her solution to expedite her progress.

Just like she thought, she could only train and duel for another eight years before her body succumbed to all the injuries she’d obtained over the years.

After reaching the ripe old age of 45, she knew she would die. Her body was breaking down with all the internal injuries, infected injuries, occasional sickness, and constant fighting she’d suffered, combined with how poorly she cared for herself due to the environments she always threw herself in.

Even if she did get treatment, it wouldn’t matter. No medicine or doctor in this world could possibly treat her.

Therefore, she did the only sensible thing a sane person would do. Not wanting to go out in such a dishonorable way, dying due to natural causes, she wanted to make sure the world knew that the only person who deserved to take her life was herself!

Mika stood up straight with her shoulders back and pressed the tip of Chigatana against her heart. With a maniacal grin, she announced to the world:

“If I’m going to die, then I’ll at least give myself the honor of killing myself. I have lived by the sword and will die by it, too! In the end, the only one worthy of killing me is myself! Hahaha!” Miku laughed maniacally. 

*Puchi!*

The blade punctured her chest, cutting into her heart. Blood rushed into her mouth, and Mika felt her consciousness fading away. 

However, before her consciousness dissipated, Mika heard a weird voice transmit to her head.

[Suitable Host Found!]

96